The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

What are some good sets for MagDK this patch?

• usmguy1234
    usmguy1234
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    usmguy1234 wrote: »
    Moglijuana wrote: »
    5/1/1 Light Destro/Resto. 5 Sun on the body, 5 Riposte on back bar, Bloodspawn, Willpower Flame staff front bar. 3 tri glyphs, 2 recovery, 1 SD. Apprentice Mundus. Witchmothers. You're welcome.

Does willpower 2h count for 2 items this patch?

Not just willpower, but all 2h count as 2 items now.

Thank you. I knew about other set items but was unsure about willpower and agility.
    Edited by usmguy1234 on June 7, 2018 3:14PM
    Zaghigoth- Orc Stamplar
    Soul Razor- Altmer Magsorc
    Les Drago- Redguard Stamdk
    Eirius- Altmer Magdk
    Stormifeth- Altmer Magplar

Disclaimer: My comments are a little sarcasm mixed with truth. If you can't handle that don't respond to me.

• Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I run BSW front bar, Amberplasm, Skoria and Maelstrom resto back bar. Not sure how it compares to other builds but I'm pretty happy with it.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • Moglijuana
    Moglijuana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Asardes wrote: »
    I run BSW front bar, Amberplasm, Skoria and Maelstrom resto back bar. Not sure how it compares to other builds but I'm pretty happy with it.

Thats a great build actually. Can never go wrong with Amber + BSW on a MDK.
    Ps4 - PSN:jdmaya
    Dårth Måul (AD- Dunmer Mag DK) Legate
    Latest Vid:https://youtu.be/WZp_IdyrL6Q
  • Checkmath
    Checkmath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bsw surely got attractive with its effect on dk, since it burns enemies, which equals sustain for dks ;)
  • wozborne
    wozborne
    ✭✭✭
    Checkmath wrote: »
    Bsw surely got attractive with its effect on dk, since it burns enemies, which equals sustain for dks ;)

I didn’t even think about that, but that’s very true. After this big thread, I think I’ve decided I’m going to run Impreg/BSW/with Zaan or Skoria
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Drakkdjinn wrote: »
    Xvorg wrote: »

Riposte + a dmg set & skoria has been a charm for me; but i'll defer to the experts on weighing the dmg options:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAowWqPSXgQ

@Taylor_MB

Yesterday I tried riposte + Bloodspawn + livewire with a lit staff... it's amazing. Livewire proc + blockade grants a nice heal and when it hits a stronk power lash. (18% extra dmg for minor vul + exploiter)

And you don't need too much magicka regen.

edit: I'll keep on working on that build, it uses only purple everything (enchants, weapons, etc) so it can even be stronker
    Edited by Xvorg on June 7, 2018 6:35PM
    Sarcasm is something too serious to be taken lightly

I was born with the wrong sign
    In the wrong house
    With the wrong ascendancy
    I took the wrong road
    That led to the wrong tendencies
    I was in the wrong place at the wrong time
    For the wrong reason and the wrong rhyme
    On the wrong day of the wrong week
    Used the wrong method with the wrong technique
  • ironshoe7
    ironshoe7
    ironshoe7 wrote: »
    Anyone have luck with Axiom? Seems like this is the "classiest" class. Front Bar: 4 actives + 1 ultimate, Back Bar: 3 actives (one is a utility, so no boost). My MagDK character hasn't reached CP yet, but the Silk of the Suns + Axiom combo is doing pretty well at level 30.

I'm running Axiom/BSW/Zaan 5 heavy, 2 light S/B and destro. Works pretty well, no sustain though so you have to be patient with your skill use.

Wow, I'm impressed you have Zaan. That seems to be the best monster set for my build, but I'm not sure I can pull off Vet in that dungeon. BSW looks interesting. What's your up-time? Around 50%?

No idea on uptime, console player. Vet scale caller is more about mechanics than anything else. If you have a good group that all knows the mechanics and can do decent dps you can do it no problem.

• WhoThenNow7
    WhoThenNow7
    ✭✭✭
    I've been running sun lich and skoria on my mine. Destro resto. Might be outdated, i haven't played much on the new patch but with dragon bones i would put out a ridiculous amount of damage in BGs.
  • JumpmanLane
    JumpmanLane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Destro/SnB Bloodspawn, Seducer, Desert Rose. Dunmer Vamp. Been testing Skoria.
    Edited by JumpmanLane on June 7, 2018 10:43PM
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've been running sun lich and skoria on my mine. Destro resto. Might be outdated, i haven't played much on the new patch but with dragon bones i would put out a ridiculous amount of damage in BGs.

I've tested both Skoria and Zaan in PvP and I find the former more reliable. Zaan can be broken simply by opening up the distance and also it doesn't proc as reliably as Skoria on DoT heavy classes such as Templar and DK, while Skoria hits every time as it can't be dodged or run from; also the hit is instant, while Zaan proc dishes most of its damage at the end of the channel, when a competent player would have broken the distance. Also Skoria gives 1p maximum health, which allows me to safely use Whichmother's Potent Brew without falling too low on health. I play no-CP exclusively so falling under 20K with battle spirit is something I simply don't do.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • Gnozo
    Gnozo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No proc cancer build here:

2x Bloodspawn, 5x Shackle, 5x Axiom. Triune juwelry with Witchmothers potent brew. 5 Light, 1 heavy, 1 medium. 40k Magicka, 18k stam, 25k health in cyro, 1k stam rec, 2k magicka reg. And god old double sword and board.

10k flame lash tooltip, insane sustain and tanky af
  • Adenoma
    Adenoma
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’m gonna give a Destro/resto light armor setup with necro, bsw, and shadowrend. Curious to see how it turns out. I won’t be running or needing Rapid Regen/mutagen so I’ll be skipping out on the front bar BSW (but I don’t have the staff so it doesn’t really matter much).

I feel like you either need to glass cannon your magDK or make it block dependent. It’s increasingly difficult to straddle the line and try to get the best of both worlds.
    Edited by Adenoma on June 9, 2018 4:22PM
    Adenoma-Badenoma-Sadenoma
  • ak_pvp
    ak_pvp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Adenoma wrote: »
    I’m gonna give a Destro/resto light armor setup with necro, bsw, and shadowrend. Curious to see how it turns out. I won’t be running or needing Rapid Regen/mutagen so I’ll be skipping out on the front bar BSW (but I don’t have the staff so it doesn’t really matter much).

I feel like you either need to glass cannon your magDK or make it block dependent. It’s increasingly difficult to straddle the line and try to get the best of both worlds.

Yeah, MagDKs lack of efficient defense (one without scaling/scaling of offense stat) means you have to sacrifice a lot for it. As such you either get the very squishy shield builds because shields don't synergise super well with them and there is no other good active defense to combo it with.

Personally I have gone with the tanky brawler setup that StamDK used for a while, high healing, pretty good mobility, high mitigation, and then lockdown. Depending on block in this meta is suicide.
    MagDK main. PC/EU @AK-ESO
    Best houseknight EU.
  • cazlonb16_ESO
    cazlonb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    rumple9 wrote: »
    War maiden and Julianos as all the skills I'm using deal magic damage

Magic damage is not magicka based damage, but a damage type like fire or lightning. Skills only deal magic damage if the tooltip specifically says so.

As a Dk you do not want to run War Maiden - It is only good for MagPlars ( in theory anyway, not in this or any recent patch ) and specific Nb builds.
    Edited by cazlonb16_ESO on June 9, 2018 7:07PM
  • Checkmath
    Checkmath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Adenoma wrote: »

Be prepared to have zero sustain like this ;). But there are ways to sustain even in that combo and with only around 800 magrecovery.
  • CrazYDunm3r
    CrazYDunm3r
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm going to tell you my lay-out for how I build my DK (Destro/Resto staff). I do not have much experience with s&b or other setups, so I won't cover those.

People tell you dealing damage and being tanky is almost impossible as a DK whilst being able to sustain. First of all: DK has so much damage potential with the right setup, you don't need damage sets. I fought people in duels naked and won (these people were above pug skill level), not to brag, but to show how much damage potential DK has of its own.

If you would choose a damage set, I would go with sloads/sun/burning spellweave because of obvious reasons. I am a 5light/1medium/1heavy armor DK. Since you can also use a damage set on monster gear (valkyn, zaan, grothdarr, etc), I suggest taking 2 sustain 5p sets in that case. If you take 1 damage 5p set, I suggest taking Pirate skeleton as monster gear and another 5p sustain set. But, keep in mind, pirate skeleton doesn't work that well with some setups. You should have damage shields like healing ward to sustain if you are going to use PS and also you should be vampire for the undeath passive. Dragon blood becomes even more useless using PS. Light armor gives you a nice spell penetration and some better sustain. If you play with a destro staff, use elemental drain for even more spell penetration and a great magicka sustain.

Some might say the DK wings are not worth it because of the cost and I never understood what was wrong with those people. The skill literally hardcounters ranged builds and I can sustain trough the cost with only 1500 magicka regen (excluded the regen from elemental drain). Your damage taken is reduced so much by ranged builds it is totally worth it and feels like a set on its own. If you are going to spam it, ofcourse it won't work, but press it once and attack that ranged person asap. For this I use empowering chains to get right into their face.

If you build your magDK, try to think how you like to play and play around with sets that compliment that playstyle. Not only that, but taking the right skills is much more important than the sets themselves. So I suggest you always should figure that out first and then start looking at the sets.

I hope I gave some insight.
    YouTube
    Triggered Tryhards
  • Adenoma
    Adenoma
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It has plenty of sustain. Harness, drain, argonian... the list goes on. It’s trivial to sustain in two DPS sets this patch.
    Adenoma-Badenoma-Sadenoma
  • ak_pvp
    ak_pvp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Some might say the DK wings are not worth it because of the cost and I never understood what was wrong with those people. The skill literally hardcounters ranged builds and I can sustain trough the cost with only 1500 magicka regen (excluded the regen from elemental drain). Your damage taken is reduced so much by ranged builds it is totally worth it and feels like a set on its own. If you are going to spam it, ofcourse it won't work, but press it once and attack that ranged person asap. For this I use empowering chains to get right into their face.

Wings are awful. Here is why.

4 projectiles are nothing. Absolutely nothing. Warden gets 3 projectiles for a fraction of the cost with an OP buff too.

Cloak force misses nearly everything, and all but AOEs and pure casted bursts can't hit (no target) you, has invis, and also has offensive capabilities for the same price as wings.

Wings is over in a split second when against 2 projectile users, la+skill. That is of course if it even reflects at all. 4k for that is pathetic.

It's not all ranged attacks, it's projectiles, and so many projectiles can't be reflected. Pulse, bird, (warden can absorb this) valk/meteor (but NBs can Cloak aoe valkyn) shade, ballista, AND all status effects from projectiles.

Sorcs are barely touched by this. Only frags and LA can be reflected. Ranged Magblade or snipers are the only build it is good against (OP maybe) but only in a vaccume due to the tiny limit.

Don't get me started on the awful snare removal lmao. Will have to be at least 4s to consider running over FM. Thanks devs, another DK ability ruined and/or then given to others (foo, petrify, chains, talons,)
    Edited by ak_pvp on June 10, 2018 5:37PM
    MagDK main. PC/EU @AK-ESO
    Best houseknight EU.
  • melloni_aleb16_ESO
    melloni_aleb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Sload’s (Infused Jewelries, Nirnhoned SWB up front and Powered Resto on back), Caluurion’s Legacy, Zaan.

75pts into Thaumaturge.

I personally use 3x potion time reduction glyphs because my magDK char is an Argonian.

star-trek-doppia-mano-sul-volto.jpg
    DC|EP|AD EU .:. Claymore - all classes DK/Sorc/Nb/templar .: Retired :.
    DC NA server with 400 ping - DKs Vraccàs

Philosophy of the poor .: "What you cannot beat ..zerg him " :.
  • Prabooo
    Prabooo
    ✭✭✭✭
    5/5 Silks of the Sun and Burning Spellweave, dual swords bar 1 s&b 2nd bar, all divines
  • Savos_Saren
    Savos_Saren
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    As I stated before:

I've been using Innate, Silks of the Sun, and Valkyn on my main mDK. 5l/1m/1h

I also use Caluurion, Flame Blossom, and Valkyn on my "proc DK" 5l/1m/1h

I'm trying Innate, Shacklebreaker, and Valkyn on a third DK. 5h/1m/1l... this setup seems to be pretty much the same as my Innate/Silks/Valkyn build. Both get 20k+ leaps. I'm going to attempt to go over-the-top with massive resources by replacing Valkyn with 2pc Domihaus. I just need to finish farming the helm.

(Yes, I know some people don't like the 2nd piece of Domihaus- but it's more for a heavy armor "stand your ground" build.) I want this setup to easily cross between a tanky mDK and a tanky stamDK. Because...

...I have a feeling that we're about to see some more stamina morphs open up for StamDK. ;)

Edited by Savos_Saren on June 10, 2018 7:39PM
    Want to enjoy the game more? Try both PvP (crybabies) and PvE (carebears). You'll get a better perspective on everyone's opinion.

PC NA AD
    Savos Saren
  • WaltherCarraway
    WaltherCarraway
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sload’s (Infused Jewelries, Nirnhoned SWB up front and Powered Resto on back), Caluurion’s Legacy, Zaan.

75pts into Thaumaturge.

I personally use 3x potion time reduction glyphs because my magDK char is an Argonian.

star-trek-doppia-mano-sul-volto.jpg

I advise whatever brings me the most kills.

Don't really care anything other than AP in PvP
    Back from my last hiatus. 2021 a new start.
  • Kartalin
    Kartalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    FWIW I use Riposte/Spellweave/Grothdarr (5 light). Grothdarr over Skoria because I can stay in range of target via empowering chains. Have switched from S&B/Resto to Destro/Resto this patch and that works well with the double empower bonus from chains. I mainly use it in no cp but should be even better in cp. I use the snare removal wings since I don't have 2h leveled. The build seems to work well in small groups (2-4), haven't soloed much with it. Good ability to lock down targets while applying pressure.
    • PC/NA
    • Karllotta, AD Magplar, AR 50
    • Hatched-In-Glacier, DC Magden, AR 44
    • Miraliys, EP Warden, AR 35
    • Kartalin, AD Stamblade, AR 35
    • Kallenna, AD Magcro, AR 34
    • Miralys, EP Magsorc, AR 34
    • Milthalas, EP Magblade, AR 34
    • Lemon Party - Meanest Girls - @ Kartalin - Youtube
  • VirtualElizabeth
    VirtualElizabeth
    ✭✭✭✭
    *watches from a distance*
    @ElizabethInAustin
    NA/PC
    Eleanour Masterham - Breton Templar
    Elise Masterham - Breton Magicka Nightblade
    Elinora Valen - Dunmer MagDK
    Elsa Masterham - Breton Mag Warden
  • Vanzen
    Vanzen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No CP BG

5l/2h

Skoria/Shackle/Rattle

Destro/SnB

Infinite sustain and 2.6k SD 100%of the time
    Edited by Vanzen on June 12, 2018 4:31PM
  • Vynist
    Vynist
    ✭✭✭
    1.) For heavy armor magicka DK, would this be an okay build? (if not let me know suggestions)

-5 heavy, 2 light probably
    5x Seducer
    2x bloodspawn
    2x magnus (sword and board)
    3x willpower (cost reduction probably to help sustain)

2.) For light armor magicka DK, would this be an okay build? (if not let me know suggestions)

-5 light, 2 heavy probably
    4x necropotence
    2x bloodspawn
    3x magnus (sword and board) (or 3x torugs pact)
    3x willpower (cost reduction or spell damage depending on how well sustain is already)

3.) I am trying to find a build with stuff I already have since I cant afford to grind for gear any more. Will either of these work and do you like light or heavy armor mag dk?
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A few thoughts from my magDK, for BG play;

You have access to a mag gap closer, this is great synergy with Caluurion. You have abilities that snare and root and stun opponents; this is great synergy with pretty much all mag monster sets.

You have the potential to kite at a distance, this does not have good synergy with some of the above or most class abilities.

Makes me feel mid range, then gap close when ready to finish someone is the best way to use a light armor proc-CC orientated build.

So I'm then thinking direct damage, with empowered chains, f I'm running empowered chains I'm thinking imbue would go great with that. Something like a imbue chain, LA, petrify, whip/leap combo?
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • WhoThenNow7
    WhoThenNow7
    ✭✭✭
    Asardes wrote: »

I've tested both Skoria and Zaan in PvP and I find the former more reliable. Zaan can be broken simply by opening up the distance and also it doesn't proc as reliably as Skoria on DoT heavy classes such as Templar and DK, while Skoria hits every time as it can't be dodged or run from; also the hit is instant, while Zaan proc dishes most of its damage at the end of the channel, when a competent player would have broken the distance. Also Skoria gives 1p maximum health, which allows me to safely use Whichmother's Potent Brew without falling too low on health. I play no-CP exclusively so falling under 20K with battle spirit is something I simply don't do.

*Update for Summerset*

So i find my sun lich set up still kicking ass, and i switched to zaan as well. I prefer zaan opposed to skoria to be honest, since I'm always light attack weaving. I can get zaan to proc a lot just because I'm constantly weaving.

I would say if you're decent at weaving, zaan is the way to go. If not, skoria is still a very solid choice.
  • kessik221
    kessik221
    ✭✭✭
    Elfbane zaans and axiom. Extra 2 ticks on zaans is unbeatable
  • ZarkingFrued
    ZarkingFrued
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Axiom, bloodthorn, bloodspawn, 1 spell power glyph, 1 reduced cost, 1 regen glyph, I'd rather have the tanky setup from bloodspawn, and the ultimate regeneration is op. Bloodspawn seems to proc right when you need it everytime, and your ultimate helps your regen. Literally only change I'm considering is going to argonian from dark elf for the added healing and sustain. And I still have plenty of damage, also proc my spell power glyph right before i flame leap and it smashes people hard