The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Cyrodill Performance is total trash

• Sureshawt
    Sureshawt
    ✭✭✭✭
    Preyfar wrote: »
    Cyrodiil feels like it never left beta. It's sad. =/ ZOS rarely discusses Cyordiil and PVP. It's become clear that it's not a priority, and fixing it is not (and has not) been on the agenda.

Actually during open beta performance was great and we had way more players on screen during a battle. I'm talking hundreds at a time and was epic to see. When your faction hit the road to engage an enemy objective you truly felt like part of a huge army with players almost as far as you could see. I remember being completely amazed at the performance with so many people on my screen engaged in battle including mass sieges. I thought man these guys have revolutionized net coding.

Then come to find out the game was running without any kind of cheat detection. So they basically cheated on implementing cheat detection knowing it would take a while for cheats to appear and give the false appearance of amazing performance.

Enter patch 1.6 as the most likely culprit of when it was introduced. Most folks blamed it on the lighting changes but many others like me suspect that is when the overhead(cpu/net processing cost) from a cheat detection system went live.

The introduction of the CP system also introduced more overhead costs from all the additional computations that have to be performed in real time for these traits which grew worse over time as more players achieved more and more traits.

There is no free ride in the world of computer processing and every additional calculation has a cost and eventually bottlenecks appear.

Now we have craptastic performance with about a 1/3 of the number of players engaged in the largest battles as compared to open beta.

ESO has never been the same and likely never will be from a performance standpoint as compared to open beta.

Edited by Sureshawt on June 6, 2018 8:21PM
  • pmn100b16_ESO
    pmn100b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sureshawt wrote: »
    Preyfar wrote: »
    Cyrodiil feels like it never left beta. It's sad. =/ ZOS rarely discusses Cyordiil and PVP. It's become clear that it's not a priority, and fixing it is not (and has not) been on the agenda.

Actually during open beta performance was great and we had way more players on screen during a battle. I'm talking hundreds at a time and was epic to see. When your faction hit the road to engage an enemy objective you truly felt like part of a huge army with players almost as far as you could see. I remember being completely amazed at the performance with so many people on my screen engaged in battle including mass sieges. I thought man these guys have revolutionized net coding.

Then come to find out the game was running without any kind of cheat detection. So they basically cheated on implementing cheat detection knowing it would take a while for cheats to appear and give the false appearance of amazing performance.

Enter patch 1.6 as the most likely culprit of when it was introduced. Most folks blamed it on the lighting changes but many others like me suspect that is when the overhead(cpu/net processing cost) from a cheat detection system went live.

The introduction of the CP system also introduced more overhead costs from all the additional computations that have to be performed in real time for these traits which grew worse over time as more players achieved more and more traits.

There is no free ride in the world of computer processing and every additional calculation has a cost and eventually bottlenecks appear.

Now we have craptastic performance with about a 1/3 of the number of players engaged in the largest battles as compared to open beta.

ESO has never been the same and likely never will be from a performance standpoint as compared to open beta.

Yep. And also the reason I believe they can't actually say what caused the performance loss (even though they know), because doing so would be admitting that the game could never handle 'hundreds of players on screen at the same time', which was a marketing selling point at launch. If they admit the game can't handle what they advertised they could be open for refund requests or whatever, which they'd have to honour.

There is no engine currently available (with anti-cheat coding) that can handle hundreds of players on screen at once, and is why Camelot Unchained has had to design their own engine from scratch. It was basically false marketing on ZOS's part. They're either stupid enough to not put anti-cheat code in at the beginning thinking that no one would hack the game with all the code client side, or they knew exactly what they were doing and let it go just to get the initial sales.

Either way, this is it. There isn't going to be any leap in performance in Cyrodiil. Its all the engine's got. The game was never really able to handle mass pvp and hundreds of players at once. But we will still get the "we're making improvements to performance in Cyrodiil" lip service we've had for the past 3-4 years.
  • Iskras
    Iskras
    ✭✭✭
    Just performance?

CHEATERS, Macros, etc...

• Cuthceol
    Cuthceol
    ✭✭✭
    I'll just leave this here , Matt Firor 1st feb 2017

As for Cyrodiil: we know that performance (both server and client) is often not up to par, to put it mildly. These problems particularly plague Champion-ranked Campaigns and, coupled with some of the balance issues and bugs that are still present, result in an often-frustrating experience for some players. We will be addressing this in 2017 – from Champion System performance to class/armor balance to client/server performance in large battles. This is a priority for us, but as these issues are extremely complex, we will be re-thinking how some of the systems in the game interact with each other; changes of this magnitude cannot happen quickly. We are not taking this lightly – change needs to happen. We will have lots more information on Cyrodiil balance and fixes shortly, but right now, we are focusing on investigating and testing different options.

It's now 1 1/2 years later......
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You get used to it
  • pdebie64b16_ESO
    pdebie64b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Etaniel wrote: »
    Iam on the same server and no issues at all, even on EU peak times.

This can't be anything else but a flat out lie though. It might not happen every day to the same extent, but i'm 100% sure that even someone living 10m from the servers would get crippling lag when the rest of us do. You can't not experience the server load, it's just impossible.

Sorry i cant help it but iam not joking. I solo most of the time but are close to keep sieges/defences many times and dont experience lag, framedrops or whatever. Everything runs smooth enough and i dont have any delay in using my skills. Only thing i did (patches ago) was turning shadows comletely off.

Sorry for you guys who having issues :(
  • Preyfar
    Preyfar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

As for Cyrodiil: we know that performance (both server and client) is often not up to par, to put it mildly. These problems particularly plague Champion-ranked Campaigns and, coupled with some of the balance issues and bugs that are still present, result in an often-frustrating experience for some players. We will be addressing this in 2017 – from Champion System performance to class/armor balance to client/server performance in large battles. This is a priority for us, but as these issues are extremely complex, we will be re-thinking how some of the systems in the game interact with each other; changes of this magnitude cannot happen quickly. We are not taking this lightly – change needs to happen. We will have lots more information on Cyrodiil balance and fixes shortly, but right now, we are focusing on investigating and testing different options.

I'd love to know what Firor's long term plans for Cyrodiil are. Wait until the player base dries up and convert it into a PVE zone? Reboot/relaunch Cyrodiil with major fixes/improvements? Just keep it in a maintenance mode? PVP development doesn't seem to be a priority (Battleground aside). Cyrodiil needs big changes to succeed. For a game that touts millions of players you can literally look at the PVP queues during prime time and only see a few hundred players (assuming a poplock is about 100 people -vs- what it used to be)..

The problems with PVP are painfully visible.
  • LjAnimalchin
    LjAnimalchin
    ✭✭✭

I seriously wish that someone would put them on blast for this. It's insane... To just flat out lie to your customers, with absolutely no feedback or progress made in this area, should be illegal. Companies should be held responsible for the things they say.

And I don't mean certain things not living up to the hype etc.. but this is different. He specifically came out and spoke to the playerbase about a subject that's important to many of us.. promised a fix that never arrived.. swore they were "testing" stuff that we have never seen or heard of.. it's just lies to buy time from people and should be illegal to do this to your customers.
  • usmguy1234
    usmguy1234
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AQhtHT7.jpg

Yep
    Edited by usmguy1234 on June 7, 2018 5:31PM
    Zaghigoth- Orc Stamplar
    Soul Razor- Altmer Magsorc
    Les Drago- Redguard Stamdk
    Eirius- Altmer Magdk
    Stormifeth- Altmer Magplar

Disclaimer: My comments are a little sarcasm mixed with truth. If you can't handle that don't respond to me.

• gabriebe
    gabriebe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still get 2-3 minutes loadscreens in battlegrounds on regular basis, so clearly it's just ZOS being amateurish.
    Former Empresses: Saliva Bortschion (MagBlade), Janet From Finance (PvP MagSorc), Carla Swagan (Tank DK), Estelle Born (StamBlade), Enya Arsenal (MagPlar), Anita Nurse (Magplar Healer), Bearback Brigitte (Magden), Rachel Justice (MagDK), Nicole From Payroll (Stamden), Bailiff Belinda (PvE MagSorc), Féline Dion (StamDK), Septic Tank Tina (Necro Tank)

The runts: The Trolly Spirit (Tank Sorc), Floods-Your-Basement (Warden Healer) Dinah Asthma (Magcro), Total Top Tony (Stamcro)

The traitor
    s: Janis Javelin (Stamplar, EP), Barbecue Becky (Magblade Healer, AD)

PvE: Gryphon Heart, Immortal Redeemer, Flawless Conqueror

GM: Animal Control

• Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This can't be anything else but a flat out lie though. It might not happen every day to the same extent, but i'm 100% sure that even someone living 10m from the servers would get crippling lag when the rest of us do. You can't not experience the server load, it's just impossible.

Sorry i cant help it but iam not joking. I solo most of the time but are close to keep sieges/defences many times and dont experience lag, framedrops or whatever. Everything runs smooth enough and i dont have any delay in using my skills. Only thing i did (patches ago) was turning shadows comletely off.

Do you by chance defend/attack keeps by opperating siege?
    That would explain why you don´t see issues as those only shoot once every several seconds.

Otherwise i´d have to agree with etaniel - the issues are universal for every player. There is no debate if they exist or not.

Can you see the lag issues in the video etaniel posted on page 1 of this topic? I have to ask because i´ve genuinely met people that are unable to perceive them due to various issues.
    Edited by Derra on June 8, 2018 6:52AM
    <Noricum>
    I live. I die. I live again.

Derra - DC - Sorc - AvA 50
    Derrah - EP - Sorc - AvA 50

• pdebie64b16_ESO
    pdebie64b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Derra wrote: »

That would explain why you don´t see issues as those only shoot once every several seconds.

Otherwise i´d have to agree with etaniel - the issues are universal for every player. There is no debate if they exist or not.

Can you see the lag issues in the video etaniel posted on page 1 of this topic? I have to ask because i´ve genuinely met people that are unable to perceive them due to various issues.

I dont use siege equipment, and yes i see the lag issues in that video. Maybe there is some lag iam not aware of but it doesnt affect my gameplay.

Back in the day in 2015 i quit eso for almost a year because serious lag issues in PvP, much worse then that video is showing like invisable enemies, (remember the steel tornado spam?) ranged attack what didnt hit, game totaly freezes, heavy delay with skils, instant deaths without having a clue who hits me and offcourse the never ending loading screens.
  • BohnT
    BohnT
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Just play on days when ZS isn't raiding or only play when UF and ZS have finished their fails and you can use skills that's what works best.
    It's so frustrating Cyrodiil changed from unplayable 2-3 days a month to playable 2-3 days a month in one year.

When Morrowind launched we (friends and me) could play even when ZS was fighting UF and DC Pugs in one keep, nowadays we just find out if ZS is raiding and don't go to pvp if they do
  • LegendaryChef
    LegendaryChef
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Derra wrote: »

I dont use siege equipment, and yes i see the lag issues in that video. Maybe there is some lag iam not aware of but it doesnt affect my gameplay.

Back in the day in 2015 i quit eso for almost a year because serious lag issues in PvP, much worse then that video is showing like invisable enemies, (remember the steel tornado spam?) ranged attack what didnt hit, game totaly freezes, heavy delay with skils, instant deaths without having a clue who hits me and offcourse the never ending loading screens.

Your either:
    1) deluded
    2) paid by zos to say these things
    3) a troll (and a good one at that)

Unless you can provide video evidence of your performance + time stamp, fps and ping I simply cannot believe you don’t experience the same trash that everyone else is at prime time EU Vivec
    Zzoro/Elliot Brown/Baldy ~Kitesquad/Noricum~
    PC EU.
    Spider mount was the only good part about morrowind release.