Maintenance for the week of October 28:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 28, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – October 30, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – October 30, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

To all Lefties, what is your keyboard configuration when playing ESO?

Davor
Davor
✭✭✭✭✭
I have been using the Xbox controller but have gone back to the Xbox. I am thinking of trying to use the mouse and keyboard. Thing is, I can't use it. Yes I know practice. Thing is I can't use the "standard" layout and will need to rebind. So I thought I would come here and see what Lefties here use when rebinding their keyboard to play ESO. I tried google but it was giving me layouts for FPS games like Call of Duty or Battlefront.

I would like to see what Lefties are using when playing ESO so I can try it and see if it helps me out to use keyboard and mouse instead of the Xbox Controller.

Davor
Not my quote but I love this saying

"I would pay It for support. But since they choosed we are just numbers and not customers, i dont mind if game and zos goes to oblivion"
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use the number pad and arrow keys for combat and the buttons above the arrows and the right side of the keyboard for everything else. I put my right hand on the number pad and use my thumb on the arrow keys to move.

My skills are on 1-5, dodge is 0, 6 is synergy, 7 is quick slots, 8 is interrupt and 9 is my ultimate. The decimal button is cycle targert, crouch is the enter key and + is weapon swap. E, X and R are bound to 3 of the buttons along the top but I mainly use the extra buttons on my mouse for those (I have a Logitech G400, officially it's a right-handed mouse but the shaping is minimal and I can use the 'thumb' buttons with the side of my ring finger.

Alt is on page up, stow weapon on page down, Home is F and End is walk, insert is mount and delete is auto-run (although that's also bound to a mouse button). Right ctrl is jump and right shift is sprint (I slide my hand across from the number pad to use them.)

originally I used the number pad mainly because the keys being in-line and in rows of 4 with empty space either side made it easier to tell without looking which keys my fingers were on. But it is also more comfortable for me to use with my right hand.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • jedtb16_ESO
    jedtb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    mouse as standard lb attack rb block

remapped the keyboard to use arrow keys for movement .

skills mapped to number pad 1 2 3 0 del

ult on number pad enter, wep swap np 6, hot key np 4 and use (e) np 5.
    Edited by jedtb16_ESO on May 22, 2018 7:28PM
  • Davor
    Davor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never thought of just using the thumb to move. I always thought I had to all fingers on the arrow keys. Hmm this might help me using my laptop keyboard since everything is "crunched" together. I was using a bigger full sized keyboard since using the laptop keyboard hurt and was unconfutable. Using my thumb might make it better.

Thank you so much for sharing.

"I would pay It for support. But since they choosed we are just numbers and not customers, i dont mind if game and zos goes to oblivion"
  • Davor
    Davor
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Will have to try this. As I said (well I did say but I was typing at the time you posted) I kept my entire hand on the keypad. Using my thumb to move will take time to move, but using this set up or part of it, will make it easier to get more keys in easy reach for me.

Thank you, never thought of using the number pad as the 1, 2, 3 etc keys.

• notimetocare
    notimetocare
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lefty, but I game right handed. Did it with most sports too
  • Davor
    Davor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lefty, but I game right handed. Did it with most sports too

Funny enough, it's the opposite for my family. I always mouse with my left, my family was to lazy to move the mouse to the right side even when it was cordless. LOL So family uses mouse with their left when we had a desk top PC.

• Raraaku
    Raraaku
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lefty as well, but I've been conditioned to play computer games right-handed, which actually works well for me as I'm more dexterous in my left hand and nearly all the standard controls are used by the left. My dominant kicking foot is also right, but outside of that, I'm left dominant everywhere else.

P.S. I despise spiral bound notebooks/pencils, and scissors.
    Back from a much needed break. || I like having too many projects and working on them all at once.

Tank Enthusiast || CP: 445 || Stormproof

Tanks
    Karsaak gro-Ursa: DC || Orc || Stamina Dragonknight || Tank || Level: CP 445
    Sir Leopold Stotch: DC || Breton || Magicka Templar || Tank || Level: 445
    Protects-Squishy-Ones: EP || Argonian || Magicka Sorcerer || Tank/CC || Level: CP 445
    Björn Shadow-Walker: EP || Nord || Stamina Nightblade || Tank || Level: 15
    Tiberius Valerion: AD || Imperial || Stamina Warden || Tank || Level: 15

Damage Dealers
    Morrigan Ravyn-Cloak: AD || Altmer || Magicka Nightblade || DPS || Level: CP 445
    Ra'Zahkara: AD || Khajiit || Stamina Dragonknight || DPS || Level: CP 445
    Ezra al-Khazir: DC || Redguard || Stamina Templar || DPS || Level: 40
    Erryndril Telvaux: EP || Dunmer || Magicka Dragonknight || DPS || Level: 25
    Uzara gra-Khalari: DC || Orc || Stamina Nightblade || DPS [2H/DW] || Level: 15
    Solomon Motierre: DC || Breton || Magicka Sorcerer || DPS || Level: 20
    Ragnar the Wulf: EP || Nord || Stamina Warden || DPS || Level: 30
    Ra'Rahku: AD || Khajiit || Stamina Nightblade || DPS [Bow/Bow] || Level: 15

Healers
    Sees-through-Hist: EP || Argonian || Magicka Warden || Healer/CC || CP 445
    Daedalus the Artificer: AD || Altmer || Magicka Templar || Healer || Level: 15
  • Saturnana
    Saturnana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We didn't really have left-handed features for the computers at school when I was taught to use one (early 90's). As there were only two left-handed kids to a class of thirty, nobody really gave it any thought I guess and I was simply taught to use the PC like anyone else. So when confronted with a left-handed set-up, it would take me a minute to get used to.

Since left-handed are fairly ambidextrous by being 'forced' to learn and/or do things like right-handed in many ways, it shouldn't be too hard for you to learn to use it as such if you would want to. It has become a huge advantage to me, mostly outside of gaming funnily enough. :P I can control the PC with my right hand and take notes with my left simultaneously. (:
    @Saturnna | PC / EU

Nâmae Rin : Dragonknight | Dr Milodas Ra'Himo : Templar | Mira Motierre : Sorceress
    Plays-ln-Puddles : Warden  |  Lady Neria : Dragonknight   | Philadore : Nightblade  
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    "Ha! I do love it when the mortals know they're being manipulated. Makes things infinitely more interesting."
                                      - Sheogorath
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I was younger, I used to game a lot on laptops. I'd use OKL; for my directions, with my thumb on the track pad. Then use my left hand for... well, whatever. I'd map stuff across all over the place.
  • Saturnana
    Saturnana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Raraaku wrote: »
    P.S. I despise spiral bound notebooks/pencils, and scissors.

My mom bought me left-handed scissors when I was 10 or so, I still have it.
    The thing has survived science experiments and teen dramas. xDD
    I put it in my purse whenever we move so it doesn't get lost.
    It Will Not get lost. (If it does, I'm lost!)
    Edited by Saturnana on May 22, 2018 8:10PM
    @Saturnna | PC / EU

Nâmae Rin : Dragonknight | Dr Milodas Ra'Himo : Templar | Mira Motierre : Sorceress
    Plays-ln-Puddles : Warden  |  Lady Neria : Dragonknight   | Philadore : Nightblade  
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    "Ha! I do love it when the mortals know they're being manipulated. Makes things infinitely more interesting."
                                      - Sheogorath
  • nimander99
    nimander99
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Im a Lefty but I grew up before there was such a thing as a left handed keyboard... So I play like rightys.
    I AM UPDATING MY PRIVACY POLICY

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

∽∽∽ 2 years of Elder Scrolls Online ∼∼∼
    "Give us money" = Box sales & monthly sub fees,
    "moar!" = £10 palomino horse,
    "MOAR!" = Switch to B2P, launch cash shop,
    "MOAR!!" = Charge for DLC that subs had already paid for,
    "MOAR!!!" = Experience scrolls and riding lessons,
    "MOARR!!!" = Vampire/werewolf bites,
    "MOAARRR!!!" = CS exclusive motifs,
    "MOOAARRR!!!" = Crown crates,
    "MOOOAAARRR!!!" = 'Chapter's' bought separately from ESO+,
    "MOOOOAAAARRRR!!!!" = ???

Male, Dunmer, VR16, Templar, Aldmeri Dominion, Master Crafter & all Traits, CP450
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lnsane wrote: »
    We didn't really have left-handed features for the computers at school when I was taught to use one (early 90's). As there were only two left-handed kids to a class of thirty, nobody really gave it any thought I guess and I was simply taught to use the PC like anyone else. So when confronted with a left-handed set-up, it would take me a minute to get used to.

Since left-handed are fairly ambidextrous by being 'forced' to learn and/or do things like right-handed in many ways, it shouldn't be too hard for you to learn to use it as such if you would want to. It has become a huge advantage to me, mostly outside of gaming funnily enough. :P I can control the PC with my right hand and take notes with my left simultaneously. (:

I confuse a lot of people at work because they see my mouse is on the left side and assume the buttons are reversed too. I'm not sure if that wasn't an option when I first started using computers with mice or if I just didn't know about it for years, but I learned to use them with the buttons the right way around and never saw any point in reversing them.

Once in school a teacher proudly announced that they had a left-handed PC now and dragged me over to it (they were allowed to do that back then). I spent about 10 minutes wondering what was wrong with the stupid broken mouse before she explained that the buttons were reversed and how much easier this would be for me, I insisted it was impossible for me to use it like that and she moved me back to a normal PC.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

• purpleshadez
    purpleshadez
    ✭✭✭
    lnsane wrote: »

Similar story for me. I finished School mid 90s and I was used to using a PC as a righty by then. I really can't cope when confronted with a PC setup for a lefty, especially when they switch the mouse buttons round. Ugh *shudders*
    Edited by purpleshadez on May 22, 2018 8:09PM
    PC - EU | Close, but no cigar!
  • TheTwistedRune
    TheTwistedRune
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’m glad i’m not a lefty, their views are far to liberal for me.

• Mancombe_Nosehair
    Mancombe_Nosehair
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have to use the mouse left handed due to an old elbow injury. Like some of the others, I use the arrow keys to move around. I have also swapped jump and chat around (space and enter), which makes a huge difference.

The use of number keys on the right side is something I hadn't thought about.
  • Rebirthment
    Rebirthment
    ✭✭✭✭
    Even though im left handed, I still game like most right handed people since it's what I learned growing up.

Although 5+ years ago, I used to actually crisscross my hands to where my left hand was controlling the mouse/arrow keys, and my right was controlling the WASD keys. Im not sure how or why I did that when I could've switched my mouse and keyboard. :p
    Edited by Rebirthment on May 22, 2018 11:14PM
  • dtsharples
    dtsharples
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lefty. Using left hand for mouse.
    Using number pad for most skills, arrows to move left right etc.
    Makes push to talk a bit more difficult, but its do-able.
    Definitely seems to gimp you a little bit.
  • DanteYoda
    DanteYoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm left handed but i play standard.. I've trained myself to because so many games require it.
  • Madhattr64
    Madhattr64
    ✭✭✭
    Left handed Razor mouse with 12 buttons on the right side, right hand uses the number key pad. 5-forward, 2-back, 1-left, 3-right, 4 roll dodge, 0-jump, arror up and down to sneak and come out of sneak. Shift to sprint with right thumb.

Mouse keys 1-5 operate abilities. 7 is ultimate and 8 is my q for potions.
  • Davor
    Davor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am trying to find this left handed Razor but I can't find it anywhere where I live.

• Sengra
    Sengra
    ✭✭✭
    I just use the right side of the keyboard, usually P for walking forward, everything else around it or 1-0 for combat. In ESO I use KIO etc for combat and it works just fine.

I don't know how you guys play with the numpad, the keys are too narrow for my hand; the only game where I have to use it is a small indie game with almost no combat.

My biggest gripe is games that block some keys on the right side like right shift because they think nobody will need them (mostly Asian or indie games, cough).

BTW I learned to use the mouse with the right hand as well, but due to some problems with my sinews I moved to the left hand around 2002/2003. It was surprisingly easy to just mirror the mouse buttons, so I use my index finger for 'left clicking' just like right handed users. The few games I had played up till then I had to use arrow buttons for moving, so it never occured to me that it might be a problem until I discovered MMOs. ;)

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
  • Uviryth
    Uviryth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All the Lefties I know just use the mouse with their right hand and use the normal 10finger-system on keyboards.
  • AMapOfTheStars
    I’m doubly unusual, because I’m left-handed and I also can’t stand playing with a mouse. I was taught to use a mouse in my right hand in school, and always hated it.

I play on a laptop, so I play with arrow keys for movement, and a track pad for camera movement. I have my light/heavy attack and block keys bound on comma and period keys, sprint on right shift, synergy on semi-colon, and I use the 1 - 5 numbers at the top of the keyboard for skills. I have to alternate having my hand on the trackpad and my hand on the skills, so in combat I have to rely on arrow key movement.

Been playing this way for 3 years now and have Flawless Conqueror, Emperor, and lots of other achievements!
  • aetherial_heavenn
    aetherial_heavenn
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Mine is similar.
    Skills numpad 1 to 5 ult is 6. 7 is quickslot. Dodge is numpad 0. Target (tab) is numpad enter. Numpad Del was interrupt/bash but thats middle mouse button click now.

I rebound the main ui controls to rhs of keyboard, too. Enter for use (E) ' for accept (F) etc.
    Quoted for truth
    "In my experience, the elite ones have not been very toxic, and the toxic ones not very elite." WrathOfInnos
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Razer Naga
    a4ced523ce1e7cea094817bbadacab24-razer-naga-2014-gallery-06.jpg?_ga=2.50357865.156732787.1527148888-1604581635.1527148888 why can't I get the image to show...
    Thumbpad:

1 2 3 4 6 are my action keys
    5 is interact
    7 is Quickslots
    8 is Ultimate
    9 is Weapon Swap
    10 is Strafe left
    11 is back peddle
    12 is Strafe right
    Mousewheel button is auto-run
    Shoulder button 1 is Mount
    Shoulder button 2 is Roll Dodge
    0 on the numpad is jump
    Edited by phaneub17_ESO on May 24, 2018 8:01AM
  • doctor_refuel
    doctor_refuel
    Soul Shriven
    Hi, I use almost the same setup for all games I play with slight modifications.

Arrow keys for movement.
    Num 0 for interacting with the world, confirmations, menus...
    Num 1-6 for skills + ultimate.
    Num del for interacting with other players.
    Right Ctrl for sneaking.
    Right Shift for sprinting.
    Del for weapon switch.
    End for quickslot item.
    Page down for synergy.

Everything is nicely together but not too clamped and in reach of your right hand which can easily use 4 fingers almost at the same time.
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sengra wrote: »
    I just use the right side of the keyboard, usually P for walking forward, everything else around it or 1-0 for combat. In ESO I use KIO etc for combat and it works just fine.

I don't know how you guys play with the numpad, the keys are too narrow for my hand; the only game where I have to use it is a small indie game with almost no combat.

My biggest gripe is games that block some keys on the right side like right shift because they think nobody will need them (mostly Asian or indie games, cough).

BTW I learned to use the mouse with the right hand as well, but due to some problems with my sinews I moved to the left hand around 2002/2003. It was surprisingly easy to just mirror the mouse buttons, so I use my index finger for 'left clicking' just like right handed users. The few games I had played up till then I had to use arrow buttons for moving, so it never occured to me that it might be a problem until I discovered MMOs. ;)

I have small hands, so it might be easier for me to reach all the keys on the numberpad. I can comfortably put all 4 fingers of my right hand on one key each and my thumb on the arrow keys. Although it might also depend on the size of your keyboard, I suspect the one I have at home (an old Razer one I can't remember the name of) is bigger than average because copying the same position on my work keyboard does feel a little bit crowded.

Also all the talk about being taught to use a mouse right handed is making me wonder why no one did that to me. I suspect it might be because I learned to use a computer at home long before I started being taught in school. When I started school they didn't have a computer at all, then they got one of those BBC machines with the massive floppy disks which were actually floppy. I didn't have IT lessons until I was 12.

But my parents both used computers at university so we always had them at home. My first was their ZX Spectrum which didn't even have a mouse, then we got a PC when I was 6 (my dad called it "the 386" so I assume it had an Intel 386 processor but I don't remember anything else). So by the time school started teaching me how to hold a mouse and move the cursor, and how to open a program in Windows 3.1 and type in Word I was already familiar with using DOS to install and run games and modifying the settings in Windows.

My IT teachers realized pretty quickly that I knew what I was doing, and I suspect immediately swapping the mouse to the left side was part of that. I've always done it without even thinking about it, like I do with knives and forks at a restaurant. (It might also be because that I'm dyslexic so unless I think about it I can't tell right from left, I just put things in the hand which feels right at the time.) Or maybe they were too busy dealing with me switching to DOS whenever I found it easier and using Ctrl+Alt+Del to identify and fix problems when, according to them, you should never, ever push that combination of buttons unless you're absolutely sure there is no other possible solution because it could break the whole PC.

• Datthaw
    Datthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use a right handed mouse and have all of my skills bound to it. Call me an odd ball I guess
  • Sigma957
    Sigma957
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lefty here, use a keyboard (left hand) and mouse (right hand). Movement is mapped to the wasd, x is jump and space is to activate synergy. Mouse is used to attack, block, weapon swap and to spin around my toon to see anything behind or to the side.
  • Anti_Virus
    Anti_Virus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Funny enough Im right handed in most activities except certain sports like boxing then im left handed(south paw).
    Power Wealth And Influence.