Maintenance for the week of May 27:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – May 27

Multi-core Performance Update, Improvement or Deterioration?

• Mauin
    Mauin
    ✭✭✭✭
    I haven't noticed any real difference in performance. The only thing I've noticed is bad frame drops (especially on Summserset right now) and one random location that has such low fps I'll probably have to avoid the area. It's specifically Ebon Stadmont on Summerset, and for some reason my CPU usage takes a nose dive in that area. Only in that area. Otherwise, it's around 30% or so... Which is exactly the same as before Summerset.

I've also checked in both MSI Afterburner and the Task Manager and I'm still seeing one CPU core taking the vast majority of the game load. i7 4790, 12GB RAM, GTX 960.
    Options
  • Rungar
    Rungar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    seems better but has occasional hitching now
    It's 0.0666 of a second to midnight.

Rungar's Mystical Emporium
    Options
  • patrick.s.donahueb14a_ESO
    I think its running smoother. Noticably higher FPS at dolmens. Also getting random stutters/frame rate drops to like 5-10 for no more than a second or two and then everything is fine. I'm not sure what's triggering them. Seems to happen in combat and while just running around.
    Options
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    People seem to forget that right now, PC game is being hit HARD by players logging in to play the new content... EVERY TIME a new DLC drops we experience the same exact problems for about a month, then it quiets down again. So it is really tough to see right now whether improvements have helped because the system is being taxed by the overload of players.
    CP: 1965 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
    Options
  • Own
    Own
    ✭✭✭✭
    bad hitching and stuttering
    Options
  • bethsheba
    bethsheba
    ✭✭✭
    Zinaroth wrote: »
    Intel Core i5-2550K CPU @ 3.40 GHz
    16 GB DDR3 RAM
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 970

Not noticing any visible difference but I didn't expect to either with my low end PC.

Normally I would agree but it is us low end pc users that were supposed to see a more noticable improvement
    Options
  • Trinity_Is_My_Name
    Trinity_Is_My_Name
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sadly it is worse. Worked much better on the PTS but that may have been due to low population of Players.

FPS is the same except now I get these random stutters which stops the entire scene for half a second or so when it occurs. Very very annoying.
    Options
  • Aebaradath
    Aebaradath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm stuttering all over the place. This whole multi-core update should've been an option in the Settings menu or something.

Before this it was running buttery smooth like Dibella's curves.
    Options
  • MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm glad to hear I'm not alone on the random hitching. Hopefully that gets figured out...
    Lone Wolf HelpFor the solo players who know, sometimes you just need a hand.PC | NA | AD-DC-EP | Discord
    Options
  • WeyounTM
    WeyounTM
    ✭✭✭✭
    I can confirm the hiccups too. But all in all the game finally uses my Ryzen much more and performance seemed to get better over all.
    But right after the patch the game ran like crap everywhere until I erased my usersettings.txt and the shaderfile. Maybe some of you should give this a go too (but remember to make a backup of the user file.....like usersettings.txt-old).
    Magicka-Khajiit-Player since Beta

PC-EU Vivec Sotha Sil Campaign
    Heals-your-Paws Khajiit Magplar - Main Char - AD (sadly)

Little-Miss-Hurricane - Khajiit -Stamsorc - DC
    Saves-your-Paws - Khajiit MagDK - DC
    Lucký-Paws - Khajiit StamDK - DC
    Icy-Paws - Khajiit Magden - DC
    White-Paws - Khajiit Stamblade - DC
    Paws-of-the-Light - Khajiit Stamplar - DC
    Adusa D'aro - Khajiit Stamplar - DC
    Purrs-at-the-Moons - Khajiit Stamcro - DC
    Necrotic-Paws - Khajiit Magcro - DC
    White-Claws - Khajiit StamDK - AD
    Sticky-Paws - Khajiit Stamplar - AD
    Silent-Paws - Khajiit Magblade - AD

Hides-the-Skooma - Khajiit Stamden - EP
    Protector-of-the-Mane - Khajiit Magplar -EP
    Leaps-your-Paws - Khajiit MagDK - EP
    Options
  • exiars10
    exiars10
    ✭✭✭
    ADarklore wrote: »
    People seem to forget that right now, PC game is being hit HARD by players logging in to play the new content... EVERY TIME a new DLC drops we experience the same exact problems for about a month, then it quiets down again. So it is really tough to see right now whether improvements have helped because the system is being taxed by the overload of players.
    BS. Micro-stutter never happened before update.

Low FPS with a lot of players in one place? That happens regularly in prime time in the most popular locations and it has nothing with new expansion. There is stable FPS in empty places but micro-stutter still happens.
    I don't play ESO since 15.06. because Cyrodiil is broken since Summerset (PvE isn't much better, too)...

Aldmeri Dominion (PC Europe via Steam)

The cowardly Wood Elves are best noted for their unwillingness to engage in a face-to-face attack; a Bosmer will strike at you from every side except the front. You won't cross swords with a Bosmer, but you might catch an arrow in the throat. Be wary in forests and jungles, and watch your back.
    Options
  • Potenza
    Potenza
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Getting a stutter now that I didn't have before - I have a 6 core processor.
    Options
  • Valkysas154
    Valkysas154
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well it used max 78% of my cpu yesterday played for hrs on end -

fx8350 8 core 4.1ghz - 78% max used - 58c max
    16gb ram - 11gb free
    gtx 760 2gb - 720p- 80% used max - 61c max

And hit a point where i was getting 26fps no matter where i was on summerset and had to relog to get it to fix it self

Options
  • Stroggnonimus
    Stroggnonimus
    ✭✭✭
    0 difference running Ryzen R5 1600
    Whoever said that argonians aren't sexy, is obviously not a sexy argonian.

OG Argonian tank

BLOOD FOR THE PACT !

Options
  • thestud2012
    thestud2012
    ✭✭
    Getting stuttering on my 4770k, gtx 770. Have never experienced this before. Have been playing since the Beta. I've rarely seen FPS drops in high population areas, but not full second freezing like this.
    Edited by thestud2012 on May 22, 2018 4:09PM
    Options
  • Dreyloch
    Dreyloch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nyladreas wrote: »
    WAY WAY WAY BETTER HERE.

FPS has gone up, load and usage has gone down.

Whole responsiveness of the game for me has improved like crazy, at least 2x too. No more input lag.

And my god has the connection improved too. I'm down ~50ms, and no more weird pvp lag. GOOD JOB ZOS. Made me resub.

I would hold off on rejoicing with that PvP part. Huge amounts of people weren't even IN cyrodiil yesterday. I think we'll have a better idea in about a month.
    "The fear of Death, is often worse than death itself"
    Options
  • Catsmoke14
    Catsmoke14
    ✭✭✭
    Random stutters anywhere in the game, even riding down a road in summerset. Never had this exact problem prior.

Also same problem on PTS but only the last version 4.04 - I thought it might be a PTS thing. Silly of me.

I5 4460 w/ 16 GB RAM and AMD RX 480 w/4 GB, typical mechanical HD, Win 7
    Options
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    exiars10 wrote: »
    ADarklore wrote: »
    BS. Micro-stutter never happened before update.

Low FPS with a lot of players in one place? That happens regularly in prime time in the most popular locations and it has nothing with new expansion. There is stable FPS in empty places but micro-stutter still happens.

Well I personally never experienced it with my 1080ti and i7 processor and I played for hours yesterday, but not in Summerset.
    CP: 1965 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
    Options
  • jcaceresw
    jcaceresw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its worse. Before patch my FPS were steady between 50 to 60 fps even on busier cities. Now I get 5fps spikes each 5 or 10 minutes on cities. It also happen randomly when I am just wandering in the emptiness of the new chapter.
    Options
  • AlexanderDeLarge
    AlexanderDeLarge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not spending meaningful amounts of time in game until this is resolved.
    Ryzen 2700X/1080Ti FTW3 overclocked/16GB DDR4 @ 3200mhz CL14-14-14-34/Windows 10 Enterprise 64-bit game and OS running on SSD
    3440x1440 @ 75hz

Also I'm getting these flickers where the geometry becomes invisible and I believe I see props and objects. It happens semi-regularly but it's only a fraction of a second when it happens.
    Edited by AlexanderDeLarge on May 22, 2018 4:57PM
    Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 10 years. 7 paid expansions. 22 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the vast majority of this game.

"ESO doesn't need a harder overland" on YouTube for a video of a naked level 3 character AFKing in front of a bear for a minute and a half before dying
    Options
  • agegarton
    agegarton
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I play on a high-end Mac - more than capable of running ESO. Last night I started to experience graphic stutters - that might not have anything to do with the changes. I intende to restart tonight, hopefully log in at a slightly quieter time, and see if I can realise an improvement - or at least no detriment!
    Options
  • Inoki
    Inoki
    ✭✭✭
    I've noticed increased frame drops. Please optimize the game, I haven't had that many slowdowns before. Playing on high details.

My specs:
    Computer Information:
    Manufacturer: Acer
    Model: Aspire E5-772G
    Form Factor: Laptop
    No Touch Input Detected

Processor Information:
    CPU Vendor: GenuineIntel
    CPU Brand: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-5200U CPU @ 2.20GHz
    CPU Family: 0x6
    CPU Model: 0x3d
    CPU Stepping: 0x4
    CPU Type: 0x0
    Speed: 2200 Mhz
    4 logical processors
    2 physical processors
    HyperThreading: Supported
    FCMOV: Supported
    SSE2: Supported
    SSE3: Supported
    SSSE3: Supported
    SSE4a: Unsupported
    SSE41: Supported
    SSE42: Supported
    AES: Supported
    AVX: Supported
    CMPXCHG16B: Supported
    LAHF/SAHF: Supported
    PrefetchW: Unsupported

Operating System Version:
    Windows 10 (64 bit)
    NTFS: Supported
    Crypto Provider Codes: Supported 311 0x0 0x0 0x0

Video Card:
    Driver: NVIDIA GeForce 940M
    DirectX Driver Name: nvldumd.dll
    Driver Version: 24.21.13.9764
    DirectX Driver Version: 24.21.13.9764
    Driver Date: 5 7 2018
    OpenGL Version: 4.6
    Desktop Color Depth: 32 bits per pixel
    Monitor Refresh Rate: 60 Hz
    DirectX Card: NVIDIA GeForce 940M
    VendorID: 0x10de
    DeviceID: 0x1347
    Revision: 0xa2
    Number of Monitors: 1
    Number of Logical Video Cards: 1
    No SLI or Crossfire Detected
    Primary Display Resolution: 1600 x 900
    Desktop Resolution: 1600 x 900
    Primary Display Size: 15.04" x 8.43" (17.20" diag)
    38.2cm x 21.4cm (43.7cm diag)
    Primary Bus: PCI Express 4x
    Primary VRAM: 2047 MB
    Supported MSAA Modes: 2x 4x 8x

Sound card:
    Audio device: Speakers (Realtek High Definiti

Memory:
    RAM: 16298 Mb

Miscellaneous:
    UI Language: English
    Media Type: DVD
    Total Hard Disk Space Available: 953252 Mb
    Largest Free Hard Disk Block: 408747 Mb
    OS Install Date: jan 01 1970
    Game Controller: None detected
    VR Headset: None detected
    Options
  • JimmyJuJu
    JimmyJuJu
    ✭✭✭✭
    My ping time was hovering around 300 most of last night which made it feel worse. Once ping times dropped to the mid 100's things were better. I was able to bump one up to the highest graphics setting at 2560×1440 fullscreen with no loss in frame rate. So, overall an improvement I think.

I was getting quite a number of lua messages from outdated add-ons which I suspect was part of my overall problem (particularly AUI). I expect further improvements as add-ons are updated.
    Options
  • Drakkdjinn
    Drakkdjinn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So far so good for me
    Options
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rungar wrote: »
    seems better but has occasional hitching now
    I think its running smoother. Noticably higher FPS at dolmens. Also getting random stutters/frame rate drops to like 5-10 for no more than a second or two and then everything is fine. I'm not sure what's triggering them. Seems to happen in combat and while just running around.

These sum up my experience as well.

FPS do seem smoother throughout the game, but with the occasional "freeze-frame" for 1/2 a second, then everything is fine.

I recall when they went to 64-bit there were issues for the first few months until they worked everything out. I am giving some leeway for them to fine tune the new multicore settings.

i5-4670k
    1060 6GB
    Edited by danno8 on May 22, 2018 10:17PM
    Options
  • CiliPadi
    CiliPadi
    ✭✭✭✭
    Improvement for me. Micro stutters and hitching completely gone in busy areas. I didn't do any tweaks whatsoever.

windows 10
    i7-4770k, 16gb, nvidia 1060 3gb

Happy :)
    Options
  • BuddyAces
    BuddyAces
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a crap computer. I think I'm running some weird AMD quad core pile of garbage. Ram is something like 10 gigs of cheap stock ram that was thrown in there 6-7 years ago when it was built, maybe longer. I did put an nvidia 970 (pretty sure that's what it is, maybe one a step above that) in it. It was not a gaming comp when purchased. I needed to go into a dead zone to see 35 fps. Last night I only played the new update for about 45 mins. So, with all that said:

I got 60 *** fps in Summerset. I think I dipped down to 35ish maybe once. It's my first time ever playing a game with that much fps. No stutter, no frame lag, no drops, etc etc. I am completely blown away by what they have accomplished. There was so much crap in this update that I waited till Sunday night for my preorder cuz ZOS ticked me off and I was going to wait for some time down the line to buy it. This one change was enough to keep me as their customer (until they pull their next bs).

GJ ZOS. You actually impressed me. About time your team can be proud of something other than adding more garbage to the store.
    They nerfed magsorcs so hard stamsorcs felt it,lol - Somber97866

I'm blown away by the utter stupidity I see here on the daily. - Wrekkedd
    Options
  • Nevasca
    Nevasca
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am having a few crashes that I did not have before, but mostly, the game is way smoother for me at the moment. The frames are much better in group enviroment (tested only dungeons so far). It doesn't drop to low 30s like before. Dolmens usually smooth frames too, which can mean that in Trials the performance is a lot better. Keep in mind that we are having a spike of players coming back to play summerset so in cities the performance may seem worse due to that.

i5 4440
    1050ti
    Options
  • xeNNNNN
    xeNNNNN
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    4790k CPU here (stock clock)

Generally 20 FPS increase on top of 60 SOMETIMES (it appears to be spaced out and random).
    Overworld is roughly 80fps on half high and low settings as well with addition friendly effects turned off and only 75% view distance.
    Dungeons around 90 FPS - 100 FPS (Note: This has always been the case for the most part)

My overall performance is actually worse however. I am frame skipping a lot now and my CPU has jumped in temperature by 15 degrees. Pushing me into the 70 Degree area which is absurd. My overall CPU temps were at 55-59 degrees before the patch now its pushing my CPU into uncomfortable territory and the reason I suggest is its uncomfortable is because on other high end games on max settings my CPU never reaches these temps. Not BF1, Not PubG, Not any other MMO and not any other Game generally.

This means that something is now putting an unnecessary amount of stress on my CPU prior too the patch and I say its unnecessary because my performance was much better pre-summerset.

I made a post in tech support in hopes of a real response from somebody at ZoS as this is by no way shape or form an improvement from my perspective; causing my CPU to run 15 degrees hotter for 15 maybe 20 more FPS is by no way shame or form a reasonable trade.

I am concerned about rapid growing temps from games because I cannot "afford" to feel comfortable with 70 degrees especially since its not a new CPU and I do not have the money to replace it should I need to and I assure you that by no means is this a general issue with the processor this is infact an issue ONLY with ESO and no other game or program, infact my preformance in my other games is still normal and fine so if it was on my end why would it only happen in ESO if it wasn't the "change" they made.

Again though my larger point is here that this "performance increase" its not a performance increase for my 4790k and in fact its proving to be worse than before. At this point ive even tried too underclock my CPU too temporarily fix this issue and it hasn't helped.

My bet would be that SOMEONE did not do clean edits on textures and other systems loading into the game and thus the game is demanding that the processor calculate alot of junk data and unclean edits to textures and such at far too much of a rate through the hyperthreads, hyperthreads are there too help the cores of any CPU work together better too load information and data, its not a god damned filtration system. This is likely why im seeing my temps rise more than they should and the game is stuttering, processing is being clogged and straining the cores.
    Edited by xeNNNNN on May 22, 2018 11:04PM
    Ah, e-communities - the "pinnacle" of the internet............yeah, right.
    Options
  • Wreuntzylla
    Wreuntzylla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sunway TaihuLight, SW26010 256 core RISC processor.

No difference.

My timeshare is ending, so i'm going to buy into the Oakridge Summit this year, after which I am sure I'll see a difference.
    Options