Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Potential New Player, I Have Some Questions

Pensylvestor
Pensylvestor
Soul Shriven
I just had some questions regarding the viability of some classes/roles now. I know in the past, non templar healers were very bad, as were some other builds.

I am interested in playing a sorc, mainly dps, but I would also like some sustain for soloing content, as well as heal for some end game content to change things up. Are things like healing or tanking sorc actually viable now for vet dungeons or trials?

Also, I know in the past this game has been pretty solo friendly with attaining good end game gear. Is this still the case? (by solo I mean basically just not having to commit to a 'raiding schedule' like in wow, and having the ability to quickly pug endgame activities via matchmaking or other in-game group finder tools)

I guess I want to know how solo-friendly the game is now in that regard and if my character's progression will be gated by having to join a 'trials guild' and commit to some kind of schedule, making the game become more of a job.

Any other advice for a new player would be appreciated, thanks.
  • Haquor
    Haquor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes. Sorc is viable as dps, healer, tank and pvp.

Yes you can solo VERY well on a sorc and it is easily possible with good zone drop sets and crafter sets and very casual trials and dungeons to get excellent gear setups for any class/role.

Monster helms are a garunteed drop from veteran dungeons (not as hard as they sound) and all gear can now be traded within groups within 2 hours of someone picking it up and transmuted to different traits to suit your needs as required. Jewellery will also be upgradable to purple/gold shortly.

Pug trials are often forming in zone chats so its easy to log in and get in a trial if you feel like doing them. There are PLENTY of casual pve guilds that will gladly take you on and show you the ropes in trials and dungeons.

In short good equipment is easy to get and all classes are solid in solo and filling all roles.
  • wayfarerb14_ESO
    wayfarerb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    If you are interested in trials, do keep in mind that the normal version will be easier to pug than the veteran version. If you don't care about completing trials on vet, then no worries- easy enough to get in a normal pug in Craglorn. :)

I agree with looking for a casual or social guild that can help with that. I've been in several that have sigh up sheets so you can secure a spot when you know you'll have time.
  • Pensylvestor
    Pensylvestor
    Soul Shriven
    Thanks man, couldn't really have hoped for a better answer. Looking forward to playing.
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Regarding classes and roles every class is viable for every role and more so after Summerset (Today for PC pre-orders, June 5th for console) however depending on the content there are still preferences and more desirable classes for roles.
    If you're just doing normal difficulty content then sorc will be fine in all roles, if you step up to vet content you might find players are not as accepting of a sorc outside the DD role, it depends on the group.

Gear wise there are a lot of great overland and crafted sets which can be used. The "best" sets are generally within Veteran Dungeons (boss helms) and trials (ability altering weapons and PvE specific buff sets).

You don't need the trials sets unless you're planning on doing top tier content and group play however, and even then crafted and world sets still work they're just weaker.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Caran
    Caran
    ✭✭✭
    I played a Nightblade assassin all up to max level solo - and this class (at least my build) had a lot less healing ability than a sorc has. So solo is very viable and a sorc is a great class - as is (to me) a templar.
  • Astrid
    Astrid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorc is your best way to go.

I learnt to play on a magic Templar, seriously jabs will keep you alive through the apocalypse. But sorc is what I play now and with wards, surge and (if you fancy) pets you’re literally a self sustaining machine. Go for it, sorc is so versatile :smile:
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In all overland content and Normal difficulty content (group dungeons, trials, etc), any class can perform any role perfectly. You’ll probably be doing this for a long time before you bother with Veteran difficulty stuff.

In terms of gear, everything you need is easily craftable or purchaseable for cheap (Julianos/Willpower and Hunding’s/Agility). Monster Helms are the main exception, though until you run Veteran dungeons to earn them you can just use some temporary crafted gear instead.

Once you step into Veteran difficulty, the general mindset regarding class balance rn is:
    - Dragonknights are the go-to tanks, sometimes damage dealers
    - Sorcerers are the go-to damage dealers, though recently have become a bit accepted as healers
    - Nightblades are also the go-to damage dealers, though players won’t really question them as healers
    - Templars are the go-to healers, sometimes tanks
    - Wardens are tanks, sometimes healers

If you are a DK Healer, Sorcerer Tank, Nightblade Tank, Templar Damage Dealer, or Warden Damage Dealer, you can expect side glances of annoyance in your direction during tougher Vet Trial runs. Though using these class specs will rarely ever lead to negative behavior in Veteran dungeons, you’ll find it nearly impossible to run organized Vet trials. Even Sorcerer Healers and Nightblade Healers will have much difficulty being accepted in organized Vet Trial runs. I will say though that classes formerly not used for a specific role have become much better at them overtime, meaning that they aren’t nearly as far behind the “meta” classes for a given role as before.

You asked about quickly pugging Vet content too.
    1. There is a dungeon finder and tooons of guilds that run Vet dungeons. You can run them all day if you want lol.
    2. As for quickly pugging Vet trials, that is also a yes. Though this won’t really happen for Maw of Lorkhaj or Halls of Fabrication, there are numerous guilds that hold Aetherian
    Archive/Hel Ra Citadel/Sanctum Ophidia/Asylum Sanctorum Trial runs that aren’t scheduled and happens constantly throughout the day. Also it’s worth adding that these PuG runs are not strict on your Class/Role either, unlike organized Vet Trial runs. You can use a Sorcerer Healer without annoying ppl :)
    Skill >>> Class , at least when it comes to PvE

Much of the game is soloable. I’d argue that Sorcerer (both Mag and Stam) is the best solo class as a whole. You have a skill called Surge which provides an amazing, long duration HoT so long as you keep dealing damage. This skill will keep you alive through all content except Vet trials and some Vet dungeons. Won’t even need a healer for Normal dungeons as long as you constantly have this skill healing you.

Hope that helped!

Based on the questions you asked and what you seem to be looking for, I do think ESO is pretty much what you were hoping it would be lol.
    Edited by Vaoh on May 21, 2018 10:18AM
  • Doctordarkspawn
    Doctordarkspawn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just had some questions regarding the viability of some classes/roles now. I know in the past, non templar healers were very bad, as were some other builds.

I am interested in playing a sorc, mainly dps, but I would also like some sustain for soloing content, as well as heal for some end game content to change things up. Are things like healing or tanking sorc actually viable now for vet dungeons or trials?

Also, I know in the past this game has been pretty solo friendly with attaining good end game gear. Is this still the case? (by solo I mean basically just not having to commit to a 'raiding schedule' like in wow, and having the ability to quickly pug endgame activities via matchmaking or other in-game group finder tools)

I guess I want to know how solo-friendly the game is now in that regard and if my character's progression will be gated by having to join a 'trials guild' and commit to some kind of schedule, making the game become more of a job.

Generally speaking non-templar healers are still bad, but it all depends really on what you care about. If you dont care on playing most dungeons above normal, or even trials, you can run pretty much anything so long as your rotation and gear are solid. Geting gear isn't difficult and crafted gear is geting not only an incredible ammount of options, but a boost in what is available.

Generally speaking the only reason you'd ever have to do trials is for stamina gear, and you can do those on normal if you have a crafter. Bonus points because you're a sorc. Stam or mag, you're basicly ensured for life given how little the sorc class changes.

@hcleereman_ESO

Edit: Once the server comes up, all two-handed weapons count as two set slots. And with jewlery crafting, any character can run two five piece sets, and a monster set. The last one you probably wont need if you dont plan on doing what is considered 'endgame' for most people. So you're options in this reguard are only geting better.
    Edited by Doctordarkspawn on May 21, 2018 10:25AM
  • Chaos2088
    Chaos2088
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Haquor wrote: »
    Yes. Sorc is viable as dps, healer, tank and pvp.

Yes you can solo VERY well on a sorc and it is easily possible with good zone drop sets and crafter sets and very casual trials and dungeons to get excellent gear setups for any class/role.

Monster helms are a garunteed drop from veteran dungeons (not as hard as they sound) and all gear can now be traded within groups within 2 hours of someone picking it up and transmuted to different traits to suit your needs as required. Jewellery will also be upgradable to purple/gold shortly.

Pug trials are often forming in zone chats so its easy to log in and get in a trial if you feel like doing them. There are PLENTY of casual pve guilds that will gladly take you on and show you the ropes in trials and dungeons.

In short good equipment is easy to get and all classes are solid in solo and filling all roles.

Exactly what they said :smiley:
    @Chaos2088 PC EU Server | AD-PvP
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Generally speaking non-templar healers are still bad, but it all depends really on what you care about. If you dont care on playing most dungeons above normal, or even trials, you can run pretty much anything so long as your rotation and gear are solid. Geting gear isn't difficult and crafted gear is geting not only an incredible ammount of options, but a boost in what is available.

Generally speaking the only reason you'd ever have to do trials is for stamina gear, and you can do those on normal if you have a crafter. Bonus points because you're a sorc. Stam or mag, you're basicly ensured for life given how little the sorc class changes.

@hcleereman_ESO

What do think Templars have over other classes? At this point, people are just making excuses.
  • Astrid
    Astrid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tasear wrote: »

@hcleereman_ESO

What do think Templars have over other classes? At this point, people are just making excuses.

Breath of life, man. It’s the ultimate “oh shoot-“ heal.
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Astrid wrote: »

@hcleereman_ESO

o:) 30% reduction in healing today. Addition 10% gone from critical damage passive. It's perception at this point allowing Templars to continue their Monopoly
    Edited by Tasear on May 21, 2018 10:24AM
  • TheInfernalRage
    TheInfernalRage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The game is pretty much solo friendly as I have been basically soloing many contents. I played 4680 hours and only maybe around 3-5% of that was played with other players (even if I belong to some huge guilds). Most of the time I've been testing builds as I enjoy building myself without following build guides (the price is having to spend so much time on some toons for a time and end up deleting some of them). As of the moment I probably have max leveled around 18 toons and experimented on them. I haven't finished probably 90% of the entire content.

Recently, the devs are pushing for more build varieties so healing and tanking with all the classes are very viable. Someone posted a video with him as a Stamina healer in a trial.

It was only last week that I started joining trial schedules. These are guild runs and are very much kind of a chill out session with some guildies. So, yeah you don't need to be within that raiding schedule if you're not into it. There are sets that you can craft and can be very good, and with the introduction of jewelry crafting, much more so. Now, you can actually wear all crafted gear and can still be very good.

Just have fun playing the game. You can view some guides in YouTube to have an understanding of the game mechanics if you want too or just experiment yourself and see how your build works. I viewed some guides especially on how the character stats work.

Regarding your planned Sorc: hell yeah you can go solo with that. There are so many dungeons (and an infamous arena) that you can solo with your lovable summon. Welcome to the game.
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@hcleereman_ESO

o:) 30% reduction in healing today. Addition 10% gone from critical damage passive. It's perception at this point allowing Templars to continue their Monopoly

Well Templar has faster+improved rezzing, an awesome AoE HoT with the Purify synergy, Nova for when it’s needed, and so much more. Read through what Templars get as healers and compare to other classes. They’re just a more well-rounded healer and have certain tools that no other class has. It’s not just BoL :neutral:

Templars are suited perfectly for the healer role.... which is why they have always been (and still are) the go-to Healers.

However I’m really curious about that BoL nerf next patch. Sounds like a pretty substantial nerf and kind of unwarranted imo. We’ll see. Is it happening to just make Sorcerers feel sort of like a go-to “burst-heal” type of healer?
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vaoh wrote: »

@hcleereman_ESO

Well Templar has faster+improved rezzing, an awesome AoE HoT with the Purify synergy, Nova for when it’s needed, and so much more. Read through what Templars get as healers and compare to other classes. They’re just a more well-rounded healer and have certain tools that no other class has. It’s not just BoL :neutral:

Templars are suited perfectly for the healer role.... which is why they have always been (and still are) the go-to Healers.

However I’m really curious about that BoL nerf next patch. Sounds like a pretty substantial nerf and kind of unwarranted imo. We’ll see. Is it happening to just make Sorcerers feel sort of like a go-to “burst-heal” type of healer?

Well rounded yes, but not the best in everything. Templars are good at do a bit of everything. Nightblades have better hot, wardens better buffs, and Sorcs have better burst.

Even before the change sorc had better burst well without templar passives. This looks like a rightful change so two skills with no longer be compared as the same one.

In regards to your question healing ritual got changed along with additional minor expedition. It's kinda of an interesting change.
    Edited by Tasear on May 21, 2018 10:43AM
  • Narvuntien
    Narvuntien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sorc Healers are extremely good for dungeons, mostly because they do a lot of damage even as a healer and they have the highest minor vulnerability up-time with all their lightning damage procing off balance.

But its a lot harder to justify for trials, because people are looking for specifically buffs and group utility that Templars and Wardens are better at bringing.

Their base heal is higher than Templar but they don't have the healing buffs they have.

Sorc healers biggest problem is probably the lack of healing over time abilities and they really have to rely on resto staff abilities for that and you have to keep the pet alive, which is much harder in trials than dungeons.

But if you intend to be doing dungeons, particularly using group finder, then sorc healers are great.
  • Ximinetto
    Ximinetto
    ✭✭✭
    What about magblades dd/healers?
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Most of you guys are surely not updated on facts. Some of you boldly claim that don't pick any class but templar pass normal content. It's like some of you have not played game in a year or more.

They buffed the shield today so ideally shouldn't be an issue for lower levels in more in keeping pet alive. I personally have not had issues since Feb 2017, so I really don't comprehend such words. I agree though shield needed a buff.

Heal over times haven't been much of an issue since they buffed blood atlar. It's 2k cost for 45k+ over time per Ally. Not mention the extra synergy to heal. I don't understand why this isn't overpowered?

In regards to class ultity there's dragon knights bringing up the pack. Let's not forget only they can buff fire damage. They also spell and weapon damage. There's also debatable shield.

Nightblades have always been healers. They used be just as popular as Templars at one point. Damage and healing is nice comb. Morrowind changes had some drastic changes for them as tanks or healers.

Wardens ... it's mysterious how some of you are calling them tanks. Their hps outclasses the other fours. Not to mention their buffs.

Sorcs don't need IA to keep uptimes to minor vulnerability. There also fact they have three bars thus some usual buff options. If you put it in paper there's only 2 or so buffs they can't get. They also have unquie ultimate that can negate some effects.

End game isn't completely Templars main healers. Just a few weeks ago had sorc only trial. Though small in numbers I seen every class in end game ( vet trial healing). There's not a lot because of various factors but they definitely aren't subpar because of their class. So overall, I just don't understand some of these statements. I hope the tank reforms are easier.
    For OP,

Welcome, my apologies for the drama, I swear this happens more to Sorcs then other classes, but the debate will continue forward till balance is reached.

Now in regards to your questions, for solo play ESO is best mmo for that. It's quite the contradiction, but it's true. There's also quite a lot of different options in things to do and playstles.

So overall you will find yourself satisfied.

• Yzalirk
    Yzalirk
    ✭✭✭✭
    Any class can perform any role. The thing is, certain classes perform better at certain roles. I cannot tell you what changes are coming with Summerset as I do not know if there are official patch notes yet.

I recommend you play around with the other classes and see what you like more. You may find yourself enjoying a different class than a Sorcerer.
  • Pensylvestor
    Pensylvestor
    Soul Shriven
    I probably should have clarified more that I'm not against the mmo aspect of the game at all, just the scheduled playtime part. I actually really enjoy playing with random people doing dungeons and things like that. It's just after years of heroic/mythic raiding in WoW, having to show up at a specific time on set days during the week... it can begin to feel like a bit of a chore, or more of a job than an actual game. But you simply cannot pug your way to really good or "bis" end game gear in WoW. So it usually involves wiping on single bosses for weeks (mythic Kil"Jaden or even mythic Argus), making little to no progress (or even regressing) over the course of multiple raid nights. I'm just sort of burnt out on that smashing your face into the wall type of gaming for now.

I've always gravitated towards the ranged spell caster type in mmos, it's definitely my favorite style. I definitely want to "main" dps, but as I said, I think it would be fun to get into healing or tanking vet dungeons when I want to change it up. So I was just curious if sorc would be a good fit, I just assumed it was since it sounded like my usual go to class.

Also how hard is it to maintain multiple classes in this game? Does anything like gear transfer over between characters? Or is it basically like completely starting over, with items being bound to whatever character equipped them on? I know the cp levels transfer at least.