The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Players are getting rich ( really rich ) selling vas skin

Ihatenightblades
Ihatenightblades
✭✭✭✭✭
Not cool... something should be done.

EDIT - selling a skin by actually doing the trial is great for the game and players can use their skill to get rich. Fair game.

I am talking about exploiting
Edited by Ihatenightblades on May 20, 2018 2:50AM
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope the exploiters get long bans exploiting a title that takes skill and dedication to get
    Edited by Aliyavana on May 20, 2018 2:48AM
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How are they exploiting?
    I'm seriously asking. I haven't done that trial yet, so I don't know what's going on with it. If they're selling it legitimately without using an exploit, then that's their business and there's nothing wrong with that.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SydneyGrey wrote: »
    How are they exploiting?
    I'm seriously asking. I haven't done that trial yet, so I don't know what's going on with it. If they're selling it legitimately without using an exploit, then that's their business and there's nothing wrong with that.

Basically a few months ago, there was a large kerfuffle where trials groups could sit outside the boss arena in vAS and kill the boss without ever having to fight the boss as ZOS intended.

ZOS banned a bunch of people for it.

That glitch is back, albeit apparently with a different method for causing it. Same impact though, groups being able to kill the boss without actually having to fight as ZOS intended.

Its an exploit. Its pretty much the same exploit as the one people got banned for.

So while trials groups selling skins for a legit completion is totally fine, people selling skins through exploits got banned...last time. It remains to be seen how ZOS will respond to this recurring exploit, but I hope they are consistent in dealing with the exploiters.
  • Aesthier
    Aesthier
    ✭✭✭✭✭

EDIT - selling a skin by actually doing the trial is great for the game and players can use their skill to get rich. Fair game.

I don't agree. While exploiting players for money is considered different than exploiting the mechanics of the game which is bannable, I really see no difference between them. Both lower the value, rarity, and achievement of gaining the skin.

Edited by Aesthier on May 20, 2018 3:11PM
  • runagate
    runagate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Aesthier wrote: »

I don't agree.

Well, to be fair, there's no possible mechanism that could prevent that. If 12 people can do some content, certainly 11 + 1 straggler can do so, and I can't see how you'd prevent them charging to allow them to come along.

Then again I've never actually witnessed "charging for skins" maybe it's not a PC thing, but I've seen almost every other annoying thing spammed in zone chat imaginable.

Which skin is it that people are going after? I only ever see that crown store magma one and the vmol one.

[ edit ] oh duh vas
    Edited by runagate on May 20, 2018 3:37AM
  • usmguy1234
    usmguy1234
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not cool... something should be done.

I am talking about exploiting

Is this the silver skin that ppl are bombarding chat about on xbox?
    Zaghigoth- Orc Stamplar
    Soul Razor- Altmer Magsorc
    Les Drago- Redguard Stamdk
    Eirius- Altmer Magdk
    Stormifeth- Altmer Magplar

Disclaimer: My comments are a little sarcasm mixed with truth. If you can't handle that don't respond to me.

• boombazookajd
    boombazookajd
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    this most definitely happens on xbox and its spammed in zone chat quite often. To be honest, I always figure it is a scam. Either you pay them the $$$ to run and they don't invite you, or a player gets the skin and then bounces, never paying for the run.

Either way, ZOS could look to insert some type of control against this; perhaps preventing players from entering a group just prior to the last boss?

If a player buys their way into a trial group, or a group sells a spot; I see no issue with this BUT if the group drops a skinned player only to pick up a "buyer" for the final boss, thats no bueno imo.
    Drathus Delenu- Dunmer magDk: Shehai Shatterer, Mageslayer, Stormproof, Peak Scaler, Clockwork Confounder, Orderly, Master Wizard, Cloudrest Hero, Undaunted, Dragonstar Arena Champion
    Thoronir Rolston- Breton petsorc: Stormproof
    Zaakazha-Redguard stamblade: Boethia's Scythe, Clockwork Confounder, Maelstrom Arena Champion, Dragonstar Arena Champion

Scrubs:
    Justinius Maximus Decimus- Altmer magblade
    Agronak gro'Mashul- Orc DK Tank
    Valerya Hawkcroft- Breton healer
    Zaaka- Imperial stamDK/crafter

✭✭✭✭✭
    This is why I just PvP
  • Ihatenightblades
    Ihatenightblades
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't agree. While exploiting players for money is different than exploiting the mechanics of the game which is bannable, I really see no difference between them. Both lower the value, rarity, and achievement of gaining the skin.

Its not exploiting when you do the trial normally dude what are you saying? You wont allow good players to charge someone to get something fairly that they would ever get themselves? This is capitalism at its finest and its great
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't agree. While exploiting players for money is different than exploiting the mechanics of the game which is bannable, I really see no difference between them. Both lower the value, rarity, and achievement of gaining the skin.

By the same means, I get exploited when I buy stuff at a guild trader.

You trade your gold for an item, service, etc. Why is a skin different than a stack of Dreugh Wax? I’d argue that some things take much longer to obtain than a trial skin, but we can purchase those anyway (like that stack of Dreugh Wax).

Selling skins is fine as long as:
    1. There is no account sharing (against TOS)
    2. There is no real money involved (against TOS)
    3. There are obviously no exploits involved (against TOS)

Some people hate the idea of selling skins but have never thought of it this way. It’s the exact same thing.

In fact it makes me very happy to see selling skins as a common practice. There are people who have plenty of gold but who will NEVER have the time, skill, care, or whatever to run these 12-man pieces of group content. It’s very difficult stuff that these skins are locked behind, and takes a certain type of player to enjoy. If you are a full time PvPer you will never get a cool skin, but because of this, you can convert your AP into Gold, and then Gold into the skin you so desperately want. Everyone wins.

Plus ever since trial gear became BoP, the need for gold by trial groups is pretty dire. Most of my team is poor asf lol, though you’d think people play so much are rich.
  • Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmm. I remember raiders all the way back to vanilla WoW, selling spots in the lower-tier raids that they had "on farm", to fund their attempts at the higher-tier raids. It's nothing new, really (and if you think about it, it was probably easier to fit a few stragglers in a 40-man group, than it is with a 12-man trial).
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know why you would want a skin you didn't earn unless it was for RP purposes.

I personally find almost all of them absolutely hideous. And that Dro Mathra one... like two characters can pull it off without looking horrid
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know why you would want a skin you didn't earn unless it was for RP purposes.

I personally find almost all of them absolutely hideous. And that Dro Mathra one... like two characters can pull it off without looking horrid

Most ppl don’t share that view. They just see a really cool skin they want but that’s locked behind super tough content they’ll never even get a group for :/ I really wish some skins were earnable solo.

I wear skins purely for RP reasons. vAS skin on my Ice Mage Warden. Ebony Epidermis (eventually Cloudrest skin) on my Sorc because of the purple-colored skills. vHoF/vMoL/Amber/Spiderkith/Shaman/Blackmarrow/Soul-shriven go unused except on rare occasions.
    Edited by Vaoh on May 20, 2018 4:47AM
  • Yzalirk
    Yzalirk
    ✭✭✭✭
    They will get their comeuppance in due time.
  • Shad0wfire99
    Shad0wfire99
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vaoh wrote: »

You trade your gold for an item, service, etc. Why is a skin different than a stack of Dreugh Wax? I’d argue that some things take much longer to obtain than a trial skin, but we can purchase those anyway (like that stack of Dreugh Wax).

Some people hate the idea of selling skins but have never thought of it this way. It’s the exact same thing.

In fact it makes me very happy to see selling skins as a common practice. There are people who have plenty of gold but who will NEVER have the time, skill, care, or whatever to run these 12-man pieces of group content. It’s very difficult stuff that these skins are locked behind, and takes a certain type of player to enjoy. If you are a full time PvPer you will never get a cool skin, but because of this, you can convert your AP into Gold, and then Gold into the skin you so desperately want. Everyone wins.

Plus ever since trial gear became BoP, the need for gold by trial groups is pretty dire. Most of my team is poor asf lol, though you’d think people play so much are rich.

This. While I'm not broke atm, I fully expect to be by the time I clear Cloudrest +3. I went through at least 3m worth of pots before I cleared Asylum +2 for the first time, and had I not gotten a polymorph, I'm not sure I'd even have pots to start progressing CR. You bet your ass I'm gonna sell some skins. Because I'll have to. But I'm not gonna have to exploit to do it.

XBox NA
  • DoctorESO
    DoctorESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Aliyavana wrote: »
    I hope the exploiters get long bans exploiting a title that takes skill and dedication to get

Just long bans? Why not permanent ones and account deletion?
  • Houshiki
    Houshiki
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well, there's already a precedence for what should happen in this instance is zos is gonna be consistent. Get enough attention and whatnot, and possibly both buyers and sellers will get perma banned like last time.
  • scrobey
    scrobey
    ✭✭✭
    There's a 400 cp running around selling the skin, pretty annoying tbh.
  • Nyladreas
    Nyladreas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    What the hell is wrong with people in this game? Why do people even want to exploit something to get something for free? What's the point? What's the fun in that? What's the accomplishment here other than lying to everyone INCLUDING YOURSELF with a "fake" received achievement lmfao.

Does anyone even play this game for fun anymore? Or is it all just a giant e-peen contest :/ these people need some help IRL.

More towards the topic... Instead of banning these people I'd just delete the collectible, achievement, and the character they've done it on including its ENTIRE inventory. Or hell all characters and ALL CPs even. If you ask me, works better than a ban and pisses dishonest players off more, way way way more (from personal GM experience). Unless it's 2nd+ offense. Perma ban them then.

And no, it's not cruel. It's fair. And quite fun to watch their reaction after they log in.
    Edited by Nyladreas on May 20, 2018 4:45PM
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe the exploiting and selling is more of a sign of lack of access but not desire? This reminds me when alcohol was banned. People will continue to be lured into such practices the real issue isn't addressed.
  • GaunterODim
    GaunterODim
    ✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno please put an end to that exploit madness
  • EvilCroc
    EvilCroc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Selling skin for money decreases the value of achievement.
    And it is very good.
    The less reasons for pride people have - the better our world becomes.
  • Tabbycat
    Tabbycat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I am thinking that if one group got banned for exploiting a mechanic the rest of them would be smart enough to not use exploits since they know it will likely end in being banned.
    Founder and Co-GM of The Psijic Order Guild (NA)
    0.016%
  • DoctorESO
    DoctorESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    We need to make an example by banning the exploiters. General deterrence theory.
  • Cpt_Teemo
    Cpt_Teemo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    EvilCroc wrote: »
    Selling skin for money decreases the value of achievement.
    And it is very good.
    The less reasons for pride people have - the better our world becomes.

i'd rather have people that legimately pulled it off and show off there achievements than people who cheated and got away with it
  • Surak73
    Surak73
    ✭✭✭✭
    Vaoh wrote: »

Well, actually it's not. A stock of dreugh wax means nothing about your skill; this is why, I think, we don't have the "great dreugh wax capitalist" title or something like that, or why you don't go around with goldish sparks on your skin even if you are carrying 2000 dreugh wax...

A skin, by contrast, is intended to mean that you are able to do something special; if you are wearing it when you are not able to earn it, there is something wrong, something not working as intended.

However, I can see that there is no reasonable mean to prevent this, and this doesn't have a real impact on the game, so we can let it be. But it's not exactly an ideal situation, though.
  • Kikke
    Kikke
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Thank god I dont play on xbox.
    Cleared Trials:
    - vAA HM - vHRC HM - vSO HM - vMoL HM - vHoF HM - vAS HM - vCR HM -

"The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step, and a lot of bitching."
    -Someone said it, I guess.
  • Hallothiel
    Hallothiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Totally agree. With both points!
  • Jameliel
    Jameliel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You mean they are collecting a bunch of data within data? They experience pleasure from it? Good for them. Stop thinking about it, and you too may experience other pleasures=)
    Edited by Jameliel on May 20, 2018 11:44AM
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jameliel wrote: »
    You mean they are collecting a bunch of data within data? They experience pleasure from it? Good for them. Stop thinking about it, and you too may experience other pleasures=)

You mean they are collecting data within other data and breaking the TOS to get that data? You know, the TOS we all agree to before using that data to experience pleasure? The TOS that lays out how we can and can't use amd obtain that data?

For some people, its a problem that people cheat the fights to get the skins.
    For some people, its that the TOS is being broken-the TOS says you report exploits and dont use them, and this is obviously an exploit.
    For some people, its about consistency. Players were banned for this exploit when it first happened, therefore ZOS' response is very important now that its recurred.

So, no, ZOS' response to this recurring exploit for which other players were banned is not (and never was) simply a matter of collecting data in a game. Its knowingly and obviously breaking the TOS those players agreed to, and now, its stupidly doing so to abuse a glitch that others got banned for.

I mean, seriously, the last bunch of players to exploit vAS got banned. How stupid is it to think "I can use a very similar exploit that has the same effect and not get punished"?