The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Nightblade tanks, are they a thing or dead?

• Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Asardes wrote: »
    Tasear wrote: »
    Asardes wrote: »
    The only buff NB will receive soon is one morph of Cloak that will become somewhat of a burst heal; also Silver Leash will be similar to Unrelenting Grip, though the stamina cost is rather high. The new skill from Psijic, Deep Thoughts, may be of some use, but not won't help you in situations where you have to perma-block. Other than that, nothing really changes. So still DK and Warden are by far the best tanks, with every other class way behind in terms of resource sustain and group utility. You can tank dungeons and maybe off-tank some of the easier trials on a NB, but I won't try main tanking trials on one.

Maybe there's other ways to tank then perm blocking?

I hate when people cherry pick trough my answers, and get some concepts out of context. I wasn't implying anywhere you have to perma-block in each and every situation, but there are some where you have to hold block for extended periods since any attack that's not blocked will kill you. There's basically no other way to mitigate 100K+ base damage than blocking on top of high resistance and high HP and some bosses hit the tank repeatedly with such attacks.

Classes such as Dragonknight (Helping Hands, Battle Roar passives), and Warden (Bull Netch, Nature's Gift passive) can sustain blocking for extended periods without sacrificing any of their utility, but instead provide utility. For example Helping Hands also gives Minor Brutality to the group, while Nature's Gift is activated by healing allies (ex. place Budding Seeds and/or Leeching Vines). Nightblades give virtually no group utility as tanks, and would indeed have to sacrifice more than they would otherwise, by using selfish setups in order to sustain.

It's about pro and cons. Can they do a different style of tanking that makes up for fact they can't perm blocking as often or maybe it's time to talk of more of fights that force perm blocking.
    Edited by Tasear on June 22, 2018 1:46AM
  • Laquey
    Laquey
    ✭✭✭
    Just saw this thread spin through and I wanted to leave an update on my Summerset NB 4 toon tank which I'm absolutely loving:

Argonian Magblade tank -

5 Baraha's / 5 SPC / 2 monster (Sentinel of Rkugamz / Earthgore / Lord Warden) - 32K Mag, 31K Health, 18K Stam (With mag / SP / crit pots - you're a NB argonian pot druggie) only 1100 ish regen but you regen most from heavy attacks on off balance mobs.

1H&S Bar:
    Pierce Armour
    Refreshing Path
    Healthy Offering (Burst heal for others)
    Symbiosis (Targeted HoT with a leach heal for you / 5K damage shield when you're forced to block)
    Dark Cloak (percentage health heal for you / minor prot)
    Soul Siphon (Now 28M range)

Lightning Staff ( Resto Staff if someone else has lightning)
    Flex slot 1 (Energy Orb Default / Silver Leash / Inner Rage)
    Elemental Blockade / Combat Prayer
    Funnel Health
    Dark AOE Shade
    Flex Slot 2 (Mirage Default / Other needed from slot 1)
    Aggressive War Horn

I'm having a blast with this in vet dungeons as I'm un-killable unless I forget to block heavy attacks. With my damage reductions up the 5K shield from Psijic order passives equates to a 9300 damage reduction on heavy attacks before it hits your resistances.

I need to find a team of three regular dps for harder things like Vet DSA etc all. Anyone know a good combo of role specs for this sort of thing?
  • ccfeeling
    ccfeeling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    NB tank is very strong in Summerset , there is no problem to complete all 4 man content with NB tank .

Resource management is very good if you have correct gears setup . No shard , orb , countless HA required .

In fact , DK is still the best tank in the game , especially in Vet trial .

There are some cons with NB tank at this moment , expensive pulling ability , Silver Leash , around 3k stamina to pull a mob , forget it and not worth to slot , ZOS bad at maths rofl .
    No quick aoe stun , Time Freeze takes 4 sec to complete , mobs already died... :smile:
  • scuzzlebudb16_ESO
    scuzzlebudb16_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    Fellow NB tank here. I just returned to the game. Played mainly till IC times and NB sap tanking was really awesome back in those days. I'm having some issues since sap tanking got nerved. Still doable but less fun.
    Did anybody try 3x infused potion cd jewellery?
    Looks promising on paper, unfortunatly i don't have enough stones to transmute and try out yet...
  • RavenSworn
    RavenSworn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fellow NB tank here. I just returned to the game. Played mainly till IC times and NB sap tanking was really awesome back in those days. I'm having some issues since sap tanking got nerved. Still doable but less fun.
    Looks promising on paper, unfortunatly i don't have enough stones to transmute and try out yet...

Not too sure if you are on pc but download the pts server, you will need more HD space but you'll have unlimited access to a lot of resources that can allow you to test your build.
    Ingame: RavenSworn, Pc / NA.

Of Wolf and Raven
    Solo / Casual guild for beginners and new players wanting to join the game. Pst me for invite!
  • actosh
    actosh
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I played with potion cd pre patch, and of course i play them in summerset but with infused.
    20sec potion cd is just nice. If u r not using tristat pots, go for lingering health, 71% uptime on major vitality is just awesome.

Another nice effect on potion cd is the catalyst passive, that gains u 20 ult everytime u use a pot, wich works perfect with potion cd. Block costs are around 600-700 for me, but i dont have any sustain issues, even if i need to go "perm block".

Thats my opinion on infused pot cd glyphs.
  • Mantis187
    Mantis187
    Soul Shriven
    yea were not dead, just need to be on your a game to play one. its not the simple perma-block tank. Of course you can make a build/gear that way if you want. I run a DPS type tank 43khp 25mag 22sta and have no issues running VET/normals. Just need to be more aware of situations. NBs have alot of self healing which can make it easier on a healer but once your full CP cap doesnt really matter. Honestly they are really fun to play and not your traditional boring tank playstyle, well boring IMO.
    Edited by Mantis187 on August 9, 2018 11:12PM
    "The beauty of a dream is that it's a fantasy, if it happens it was never a dream..." -FMA