Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Magicka Dragonknight for off tank, viable?

• Ximinetto
    Ximinetto
    ✭✭✭
    I think what everyone is trying to say is that magDK dunmer is perfectly fine as tank or dd (and off-tank for that matter).

What you need to consider though, is that an off-tank still has a tank-setup with a taunt. Think of it this way: If you're in a trial and you have (f.e.) 5 major fights, for 2 or those you need a 2nd tank, but for the rest you only need one. So what do you do? Let the 2nd tank just watch the other fights? No, ofc not ;) You have someone "switch" between being tank and being dd, so they usually have two setups, one for being tank, with tank gear and a taunt on the bar, and one for being dd, with light amour (if you're mag based) and damage skills. Depending on the content you can think of the off-tank as a "tanky dd", so with a little more health than the others so they don't get one-shot that easily, and with a taunt to hold aggro from whatever they're tanking so it doesn't kill the other dds in the group.)
    And - as already said by others - you only need an off-tank in trials, for dungeons you'll have to decide between being tank or being dd. (Though, specially for normal dungeons it's alright if you're just a tanky dd, as long as you have a taunt and enough health and block abilities so you don't die too easily. ^^)

If I'm going full tank on my magDK I have s&b on both bars atm (that way I have two 5-piece-boni from sets, ice staff doesn't count as 2 pieces yet, but it will after summerset releases), and about 1500 magicka recovery, so when I hold block, I still get my magicka back up. (and using pots helps too ;))
    The only stamina skills I have on my bar though, are the taunt (1st one in the s&b skill line) and sometimes either the 2nd one for minor maim or the 3rd that lets me block a little more damage when slotted, depending on content). The rest of the skills are all magicka, mostly from the class skill trees, one is the ranged taunt (3rd in undaunted skill line).

You might not wanna go full tank when questing though, cos it takes ages to kill anything in a tank-setup, for that it's so much easier as dd with inferno/shock staff equipped. ;)
    Finally a clarification. I clarify me, off tank for me is like the gladiator or Lineage 2,a korean mmo on PC. Well then if i want to do damage or either i use a stamina build with medium armor or magicka with light armor. I need to check mixes.
    Edited by Ximinetto on May 12, 2018 8:46AM
  • GreenhaloX
    GreenhaloX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is fine as off tank, but better for main tank.