Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Magicka Dragonknight for off tank, viable?

Ximinetto
Ximinetto
✭✭✭
Ok i finally decided to play a magicka dragonknight, the idea is to play a Dunmer (i like a lot the history quests and races of EP) use destruction staffs,heavy armor and draconic power skill tree. Since the destruction staffs skills does not have taunts, i will off tank. This means damage,health and defense,all balanced with no taunts. This post is for know if i will go an hard or easy path with this mix. So any thoughts or any tips?
  • usmguy1234
    usmguy1234
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ximinetto wrote: »
    Ok i finally decided to play a magicka dragonknight, the idea is to play a Dunmer (i like a lot the history quests and races of EP) use destruction staffs,heavy armor and draconic power skill tree. Since the destruction staffs skills does not have taunts, i will off tank. This means damage,health and defense,all balanced with no taunts. This post is for know if i will go an hard or easy path with this mix. So any thoughts or any tips?

Ice staff taunts off of heavy attacks. Look at the passives.
    Zaghigoth- Orc Stamplar
    Soul Razor- Altmer Magsorc
    Les Drago- Redguard Stamdk
    Eirius- Altmer Magdk
    Stormifeth- Altmer Magplar

Disclaimer: My comments are a little sarcasm mixed with truth. If you can't handle that don't respond to me.

• Leandor
    Leandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If you want to tank, slot a taunt. You will not be able to hold aggro without. The quick solution to your issue without changing the principle setup is to slot the undaunted taunt.

I would still seriously suggest to have at least back bar sword&board. The added mitigation alone makes this mandatory for tanking harder hitting bosses.

In an optimum offtank/dps role, you should have two gearsets on you, one for maximising damage, the other for maximising mitigation. Inferno/lightning for the damage setup, double sword&board for tanking.
    Edited by Leandor on May 11, 2018 1:49PM
  • Ximinetto
    Ximinetto
    ✭✭✭
    usmguy1234 wrote: »

Ice staff taunts off of heavy attacks. Look at the passives.
    This is an inconvenience for Dunmers passives,cus i will use a flame staff in bar 1 and shock staff in bar 2. Still if ice staffs have taunts,i do not have the intention to have taunts on my Dunmer. Off tank means same as tanks but with no taunts. Since i will play solo, i prefer to do a little more damage than to be a stam DK who use s&b who eat hits and maybe mates does not help to compensate the lack of damage for kill enemyes,both pve and pvp.

Also one guy on the other post say that i need to use skills every X seconds,making fights duration VERY long if i play a sDK tank.

Edited by Ximinetto on May 11, 2018 1:57PM
  • Ximinetto
    Ximinetto
    ✭✭✭
    Leandor wrote: »
    If you want to tank, slot a taunt. You will not be able to hold aggro without. The quick solution to your issue without changing the principle setup is to slot the undaunted taunt.

I would still seriously suggest to have at least back bar sword&board. The added mitigation alone makes this mandatory for tanking harder hitting bosses.

In an optimum offtank/dps role, you should have two gearsets on you, one for maximising damage, the other for maximising mitigation. Inferno/lightning for the damage setup, double sword&board for tanking.
    I am more towards to do damage than tank. So, that is off tank.

• Leandor
    Leandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

It will work for 4man dungeon content I guess. Possibly excluding the DLC dungeons.
  • Ximinetto
    Ximinetto
    ✭✭✭

It will work for 4man dungeon content I guess. Possibly excluding the DLC dungeons.
    So if i play a sDK, magically i can do all the content,but if i use this,i only can do 4 man dungeons. Why this change? There are still tanks out there, i only changed from tank to dps role with heavy armor. Nothing more.

• Royaji
    Royaji
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You perception what an off-tank is entirely wrong. Off-tanks do slot taunts. And they do tanking and supporting. Not damage.

What you are trying to describe is a magDK PvE DD in heavy armor. Heavy armor is not geared for damage. At all. Especially after all the changes to it's passives. You will be extremly sub-par as a DD but if you are interested in normals and do not plan to bring it in vet content, go for it.

Be prepared for an occasional kick in a random group though.
  • Ximinetto
    Ximinetto
    ✭✭✭
    Royaji wrote: »
    You perception what an off-tank is entirely wrong. Off-tanks do slot taunts. And they do tanking and supporting. Not damage.

What you are trying to describe is a magDK PvE DD in heavy armor. Heavy armor is not geared for damage. At all. Especially after all the changes to it's passives. You will be extremly sub-par as a DD but if you are interested in normals and do not plan to bring it in vet content, go for it.

Ok,new way and new class for do damage. Khajiit stamina warden, with animal companion skill tree,bow,dual wield and medium armor, with poison attack,and some heals of green balance skill tree. Now you can not say that this mix is bad for dps for all the content, or yes?

• Leandor
    Leandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

So if i play a sDK, magically i can do all the content,but if i use this,i only can do 4 man dungeons. Why this change? There are still tanks out there, i only changed from tank to dps role with heavy armor. Nothing more.

In order to be effective for damage and do more than wasting a dps spot, you'd have to go light armor. MDK is hard on sustain anyways. As light armor with staves, without changing gear, you can't tank no matter what you do.

If you want to tank, build for tanking. If you want to dps, build for dps. Playing an mDK does not magically change this principle.

Hence my suggestion to carry two gear setups and switch accordingly.

MDK per se is a fantastic tank, as long as you build for it.

Anyways, that is just my opinion on this issue. I don't decide what you do. By all means, go for whatever you fancy. This was just my reply on your initial question.
    Edited by Leandor on May 11, 2018 2:42PM
  • Royaji
    Royaji
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Ok,new way and new class for do damage. Khajiit stamina warden, with animal companion skill tree,bow,dual wield and medium armor, with poison attack,and some heals of green balance skill tree. Now you can not say that this mix is bad for dps for all the content, or yes?

Sure, that sounds a lot more reasonable. I still do not understand why do you try to focus on only one of your class's skill trees (you can use them all and not limit yourself) but whatever floats your boat.
  • Ximinetto
    Ximinetto
    ✭✭✭

In order to be effective for damage and do more than wasting a dps spot, you'd have to go light armor. MDK is hard on sustain anyways. As light armor with staves, without changing gear, you can't tank no matter what you do.

If you want to tank, build for tanking. If you want to dps, build for dps. Playing an mDK does not magically change this principle.

Anyways, that is just my opinion on this issue. I don't decide what you do. By all means, go for whatever you fancy. This was just my reply on your initial question.
    But s&b attacks does not restore magicka.

• Ximinetto
    Ximinetto
    ✭✭✭

Sure, that sounds a lot more reasonable. I still do not understand why do you try to focus on only one of your class's skill trees (you can use them all and not limit yourself) but whatever floats your boat.
    Cus for unlock all sklls and morphs , you need to find ALL the skyshards. And i want to focus on questing. Also,for what i want for the warden, it is enough.

• kringled_1
    kringled_1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If your focus is questing then almost anything is viable, including heavy armor mag dk as well as your proposed warden.
  • Leandor
    Leandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Yes.

Or, to elaborate uselessly, when you tank, you tank. You manage your resources and fill your role of eating the damage while mitigating most of it. When you dps, you dps. You then also fill your role of spamming dps skills to maximise damage output and manage your resources.

While tanking, you manage resources by only using up what you need. Exactly the advantage of the mDK, your primary resource regens while blocking.

While dpsing, you manage your resources by pots and heavy attacks whenever your resources drop low.
  • Ximinetto
    Ximinetto
    ✭✭✭

Yes.

Or, to elaborate uselessly, when you tank, you tank. You manage your resources and fill your role of eating the damage while mitigating most of it. When you dps, you dps. You then also fill your role of spamming dps skills to maximise damage output and manage your resources.

While tanking, you manage resources by only using up what you need. Exactly the advantage of the mDK, your primary resource regens while blocking.

While dpsing, you manage your resources by pots and heavy attacks whenever your resources drop low.
    That changes every thing. I thought that physical weapons only restore stamina. But now,if i understand right,if you block an attack,it restores magicka? I understand that on your last message. So then i more than agree to use s&b on my mag dk.

• Leandor
    Leandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Yes.

That changes every thing. I thought that physical weapons only restore stamina. But now,if i understand right,if you block an attack,it restores magicka? I understand that on your last message. So then i more than agree to use s&b on my mag dk.

Nope. I did not say that at all. Holding block stops stamina regeneration. I said that as an mDK, your primary resource (magicka) doesn't stop regenerating. And using the tools available to an mDK, you can regenerate stamina through block casting magicka abilities. Thus, you can keep up your resources even while blocking, provided you don't uselessly spam stuff.
  • Ximinetto
    Ximinetto
    ✭✭✭

Yes.

Nope. I did not say that at all. Holding block stops stamina regeneration. I said that as an mDK, your primary resource (magicka) doesn't stop regenerating. And using the tools available to an mDK, you can regenerate stamina through block casting magicka abilities. Thus, you can keep up your resources even while blocking, provided you don't uselessly spam stuff.
    Ok maybe now i know what you say. Still if i use sword and shield,my main source,this case magicka,do not stop generating, and i can use the mag skills every time i want,because i have more mag. But now i question,and i am confused, what is the advantage of sDK over mDK and viceversa?

• Leandor
    Leandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Yes.

Ok maybe now i know what you say. Still if i use sword and shield,my main source,this case magicka,do not stop generating, and i can use the mag skills every time i want,because i have more mag. But now i question,and i am confused, what is the advantage of sDK over mDK and viceversa?

Well, since you intend to offtank (i.e. not be the primary tank), I assume you will have 64 in magicka and use the magicka morph of skills. The sDK would do that in stamina with stamina morphs and then use s&b heavy attacks to manage his resources while tanking.

If you check tank builds, these usually don't have this focus on one resource and mostly maximise health using attribute points to equalize their resource pools to suit their tanking styles, utilizing both, stamina and magicka. You couldn't really use the sDK/mDK classification on these.
  • Ximinetto
    Ximinetto
    ✭✭✭

Yes.

Well, since you intend to offtank (i.e. not be the primary tank), I assume you will have 64 in magicka and use the magicka morph of skills. The sDK would do that in stamina with stamina morphs and then use s&b heavy attacks to manage his resources while tanking.

If you check tank builds, these usually don't have this focus on one resource and mostly maximise health using attribute points to equalize their resource pools to suit their tanking styles, utilizing both, stamina and magicka. You couldn't really use the sDK/mDK classification on these.
    Again i am confused, how to restore magicka with s&b?

• GimpyPorcupine
    GimpyPorcupine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Ximinetto , what content are you hoping to do? I think that will help the community better suggest setups for you.
    8-hr/day casual gamer on Xbox NA. 20 Characters, all DC, all Level 50. +2400CP
  • Ximinetto
    Ximinetto
    ✭✭✭
    @Ximinetto , what content are you hoping to do? I think that will help the community better suggest setups for you.
    All.

• Ximinetto
    Ximinetto
    ✭✭✭
    Ok, maybe this help to clarify things. I will use heavy armor and sword and shield for tanking (i think off tanking is the same as the tank but with no taunts) and there is no magicka morphs for sword and shield skill tree. So,for use magicka attacks,i need to use magicka skills cus the sword and shield ones use stamina. That is why i complain about use sword and shield for a mag dk.
  • GimpyPorcupine
    GimpyPorcupine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All.

"Off-tank" is only useful in trials where there is more than 1 tank, one of whom is designated as the main and eats the most damage.

In group dungeons, whoever assumes the role of tank MUST BE ABLE TO TAUNT. If you cannot take aggro, you are not a tank. With your proposed setup, you are just a survivable but very ineffective Damage Dealer.

For questing, your proposed setup of a Dunmer DK will be painfully slow killing the trash mobs. You should use 5 pieces of light armor at a minimum. 2 heavy pieces to enhance your survivability is fine.

As for insufficient skill points, there are plenty out there. Each alliance has 9-1/3 skill points from quests (3), public dungeons (1) and skyshards (16 -> 5-1/3). The newbie zones (e.g. Khenarthi's Roost) have a total of 6 more points from 18 skyshards. Plus, each dungeon has 1 the first time you do the associated quest.

I hope that helps.
  • Ximinetto
    Ximinetto
    ✭✭✭
    All.

"Off-tank" is only useful in trials where there is more than 1 tank, one of whom is designated as the main and eats the most damage.

In group dungeons, whoever assumes the role of tank MUST BE ABLE TO TAUNT. If you cannot take aggro, you are not a tank. With your proposed setup, you are just a survivable but very ineffective Damage Dealer.

For questing, your proposed setup of a Dunmer DK will be painfully slow killing the trash mobs. You should use 5 pieces of light armor at a minimum. 2 heavy pieces to enhance your survivability is fine.

As for insufficient skill points, there are plenty out there. Each alliance has 9-1/3 skill points from quests (3), public dungeons (1) and skyshards (16 -> 5-1/3). The newbie zones (e.g. Khenarthi's Roost) have a total of 6 more points from 18 skyshards. Plus, each dungeon has 1 the first time you do the associated quest.

I hope that helps.
    Ok , now can you read the previous message? I want to clarify how to get magicka with s&b attacks. And what morphs are magicka morphs with the s&b skills,because i do not see anyone.

• GimpyPorcupine
    GimpyPorcupine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok, maybe this help to clarify things. I will use heavy armor and sword and shield for tanking (i think off tanking is the same as the tank but with no taunts) and there is no magicka morphs for sword and shield skill tree. So,for use magicka attacks,i need to use magicka skills cus the sword and shield ones use stamina. That is why i complain about use sword and shield for a mag dk.

"Off-tank" does not mean a character in heavy armor. It is a secondary tank that fulfills the group support roles of a tank, but taunts and holds the sub-bosses while the main tank holds the main boss. It is only used in trials.

As others have said, if you want to be a pure magicka tank, you can use a frost staff for better defense, and you can taunt with the frost staff heavy attack and the undaunted Inner Fire skill. You can also use a sword and shield and ONLY use the skill that taunts.
  • GimpyPorcupine
    GimpyPorcupine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All.

I hope that helps.
    Ok , now can you read the previous message? I want to clarify how to get magicka with s&b attacks. And what morphs are magicka morphs with the s&b skills,because i do not see anyone.

There are no magicka morphs to S&B skills. You will have a staff on your other bar and heavy attack with that when you need magicka, and you will heavy attack with your sword when you need stamina.
  • Ximinetto
    Ximinetto
    ✭✭✭

"Off-tank" does not mean a character in heavy armor. It is a secondary tank that fulfills the group support roles of a tank, but taunts and holds the sub-bosses while the main tank holds the main boss. It is only used in trials.

As others have said, if you want to be a pure magicka tank, you can use a frost staff for better defense, and you can taunt with the frost staff heavy attack and the undaunted Inner Fire skill. You can also use a sword and shield and ONLY use the skill that taunts.
    This is a nonsense thread,first i propose to use destruction staff, one guy says that for tank i need to use sword and shield. After a infinite battle for understand how to tank with a magicka dragonknight,another guy says that i need to use an ice staff for mDK purposes,turning to the start of the thread. Incredible guys,incredible...

• forgotten_secret
    forgotten_secret
    Soul Shriven
    I think what everyone is trying to say is that magDK dunmer is perfectly fine as tank or dd (and off-tank for that matter).

What you need to consider though, is that an off-tank still has a tank-setup with a taunt. Think of it this way: If you're in a trial and you have (f.e.) 5 major fights, for 2 or those you need a 2nd tank, but for the rest you only need one. So what do you do? Let the 2nd tank just watch the other fights? No, ofc not ;) You have someone "switch" between being tank and being dd, so they usually have two setups, one for being tank, with tank gear and a taunt on the bar, and one for being dd, with light amour (if you're mag based) and damage skills. Depending on the content you can think of the off-tank as a "tanky dd", so with a little more health than the others so they don't get one-shot that easily, and with a taunt to hold aggro from whatever they're tanking so it doesn't kill the other dds in the group.)
    And - as already said by others - you only need an off-tank in trials, for dungeons you'll have to decide between being tank or being dd. (Though, specially for normal dungeons it's alright if you're just a tanky dd, as long as you have a taunt and enough health and block abilities so you don't die too easily. ^^)

If I'm going full tank on my magDK I have s&b on both bars atm (that way I have two 5-piece-boni from sets, ice staff doesn't count as 2 pieces yet, but it will after summerset releases), and about 1500 magicka recovery, so when I hold block, I still get my magicka back up. (and using pots helps too ;))
    The only stamina skills I have on my bar though, are the taunt (1st one in the s&b skill line) and sometimes either the 2nd one for minor maim or the 3rd that lets me block a little more damage when slotted, depending on content). The rest of the skills are all magicka, mostly from the class skill trees, one is the ranged taunt (3rd in undaunted skill line).

You might not wanna go full tank when questing though, cos it takes ages to kill anything in a tank-setup, for that it's so much easier as dd with inferno/shock staff equipped. ;)
  • Ximinetto
    Ximinetto
    ✭✭✭
    Ok at the end,i will play a magicka tank, so i can use a staff, those posts between are useless.
    Edited by Ximinetto on May 11, 2018 4:04PM
  • Leandor
    Leandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Which platform are you on?

Edit: never mind, ps4.
    Edited by Leandor on May 11, 2018 4:12PM