The connection issues for the North American PC/Mac megaserver have been resolved at this time. If you continue to experience difficulties at login, please restart your client. Thank you for your patience!

Half-breeds?

Atahli
Atahli
I know this question was asked before, but I couldn't quite see any specific answer which gave a yes or no answer.

Is it plausible/possible for a half-breed to exist in ESO, or rather more specifically, half vampires and half werewolves?
"And into the forest I will go, to lose my mind and find my soul."
● C H A R A C T E R S: ●
RP - Atali Vautieri - Breton Vampire - Healer
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    In pretty much every TES game those were mutually exclusive. Lore wise that makes sense, since the "disease" that starts the transformation is granted by different deities (daedric princes): Vampirism by Molag Bal, Werewolf by Hircine.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • Atahli
    Atahli
    Asardes wrote: »
    In pretty much every TES game those were mutually exclusive. Lore wise that makes sense, since the "disease" that starts the transformation is granted by different deities (daedric princes): Vampirism by Molag Bal, Werewolf by Hircine.

Oh no, I meant more... Human/Vampire, Werewolf/human type hybrids, not Werewolf/vampire hybrids.
    I apologise, I should have made that a little more clear.
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Atahli wrote: »

Oh no, I meant more... Human/Vampire, Werewolf/human type hybrids, not Werewolf/vampire hybrids.
    I apologise, I should have made that a little more clear.

Vampires and WWs are humanoids (including beast folk and elves) so you can't be half of something you already are by default. There are various stages of vampirism which grant various buffs and debuffs to balance them out (ex. higher recovery but more vulnerability to fire at higher stages), but WW is more binary, in the sense you are either in human form or wolf form.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • Atahli
    Atahli
    Vampires and WWs are humanoids (including beast folk and elves) so you can't be half of something you already are by default. There are various stages of vampirism which grant various buffs and debuffs to balance them out (ex. higher recovery but more vulnerability to fire at higher stages), but WW is more binary, in the sense you are either in human form or wolf form.

I wasn't talking so much about game mechanics. But thank you either way!
  • notimetocare
    notimetocare
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know this question was asked before, but I couldn't quite see any specific answer which gave a yes or no answer.

Is it plausible/possible for a half-breed to exist in ESO, or rather more specifically, half vampires and half werewolves?

Simple answer: no

For more details, uesp both affliction
  • Marginis
    Marginis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My guess is that a half breed vampire would still be called a vampire, just a lesser one, like a vampire that can't progress past a certain stage of vampirism, and a half breed werewolf would still be called a werewolf, just a less hairy or less feral one. That said, you can't really be in between eith a disease - either you have it or you don't, so the system is pretty much binary. Even with race it's not perfectly clear if there are really in betweens, although this may be more an issue with limitations of the software than anything, so it's pretty safe to say "half breeds" in the sense you suggest aren't really a thing.
    @Marginis on PC, Senpai Fluffy on Xbox, Founder of Magicka. Also known as Kha'jiri, The Night Mother, Ma'iq, Jane Shepard, Damia, Kintyra, Zoor Do Kest, You, and a few others.
  • Atahli
    Atahli

Simple answer: no

For more details, uesp both affliction

Marginis wrote: »
    My guess is that a half breed vampire would still be called a vampire, just a lesser one, like a vampire that can't progress past a certain stage of vampirism, and a half breed werewolf would still be called a werewolf, just a less hairy or less feral one. That said, you can't really be in between eith a disease - either you have it or you don't, so the system is pretty much binary. Even with race it's not perfectly clear if there are really in betweens, although this may be more an issue with limitations of the software than anything, so it's pretty safe to say "half breeds" in the sense you suggest aren't really a thing.

Thank you for both of these. I figured as much!
  • HappyLittleTree
    HappyLittleTree
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Noxiphilic Sanguivoria and Sanies Lupinus are diseases you can't half breed with a disease.
    Thuu chakkuth lod Hajhiit c’oo? Hajhiit gortsuquth gorihuth thuu gooluthduj thdeitoluu!

XBox-EU
  • Jim_Pipp
    Jim_Pipp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think I remember this thread from before. I know that someone mentioned that there is a half vampire called "the gray prince" in oblivion. His vampire father writes a journal that makes it clear http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Journal_of_the_Lord_Lovidicus

The quest and characters can all be found here http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Origin_of_the_Gray_Prince
    #1 tip (Re)check your graphics settings periodically - especially resolution.
  • notimetocare
    notimetocare
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jim_Pipp wrote: »
    I think I remember this thread from before. I know that someone mentioned that there is a half vampire called "the gray prince" in oblivion. His vampire father writes a journal that makes it clear http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Journal_of_the_Lord_Lovidicus

The quest and characters can all be found here http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Origin_of_the_Gray_Prince

Gray Prince is an odd one. Its the only known case of hereditary vampirism. Not quite the same as a half-breed like the OP was referring to. It falls a bit more inline with hereditary traits as explained by On Racial Phylogeny as opposed to half-breed affliction. IE having vampiric traits manifest without vampirism.

In the case of werewolves, the disease would easily be passed on, from the mother, like any other disease can, blood contact during birth (as we are used to irl). Would lead to full infection and being a werewolf. There is no case of it in lore, but it is possible to have a gray prince-esque offspring from a werewolf father.

I would say, if this is a question for RP development, I'd avoid both
  • Marginis
    Marginis
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Gray Prince is an odd one. Its the only known case of hereditary vampirism. Not quite the same as a half-breed like the OP was referring to. It falls a bit more inline with hereditary traits as explained by On Racial Phylogeny as opposed to half-breed affliction. IE having vampiric traits manifest without vampirism.

In the case of werewolves, the disease would easily be passed on, from the mother, like any other disease can, blood contact during birth (as we are used to irl). Would lead to full infection and being a werewolf. There is no case of it in lore, but it is possible to have a gray prince-esque offspring from a werewolf father.

It's very possible that certain traits can manifest, but I think it's important to note that I don't think this instance of breeding actually produced a vampire, or half vampire - just an orc-imperial with vampire-ish traits. And for the record, he may be half orc half imperial, but he appears in game as an orc, so I'm not sure if he's an actual half breed and the game just has to pick between orc and imperial, or if he's just an orc because his mother was an orc, and he's half imperial in name only. I've only played so much of TESIV, so you'll have to forgive me if I'm missing some things in this particular instance.
    @Marginis on PC, Senpai Fluffy on Xbox, Founder of Magicka. Also known as Kha'jiri, The Night Mother, Ma'iq, Jane Shepard, Damia, Kintyra, Zoor Do Kest, You, and a few others.
  • Chrlynsch
    Chrlynsch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Both diseases in the game make you immune from any other diseases. So if you get infected with lycanthropy you then can not take on vampirism. The diseases can't exist at the same time in the same host.

The only exception is possibly being a vampire and getting ahold of Hircine's ring (as it is more magic than science).

Also Half-Breeds probably isn't the correct term. Hybrid has been used in multiple media outlets for such a condition.
    Caius
    Pack Leader of Scourge Alliance- First Fang of Hircine, The Beast of Bruma
    PC NA
  • notimetocare
    notimetocare
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Marginis wrote: »

It's very possible that certain traits can manifest, but I think it's important to note that I don't think this instance of breeding actually produced a vampire, or half vampire - just an orc-imperial with vampire-ish traits. And for the record, he may be half orc half imperial, but he appears in game as an orc, so I'm not sure if he's an actual half breed and the game just has to pick between orc and imperial, or if he's just an orc because his mother was an orc, and he's half imperial in name only. I've only played so much of TESIV, so you'll have to forgive me if I'm missing some things in this particular instance.

Orc with imperial traits. The nature of interbreeding in TESO. Having vampiric traits would stem from the same rules. For morr details: On Racial Phylogeny, imperial-library

As far as the gray prince. He was an orc with pale, vampirelike skin. He was known for being stronger than an orc on average and to have survived an impressive number of fights and, most likely, the injuries that came with them.
  • Tucker3711
    Tucker3711
    ✭✭✭
    The true question is... Is vampirism genetic?
    @Tucker311- PC
    Tucker3711
    Nord Beth Rose (EP)
    Imperial Freya Var (DC)
    High Elf Hestia du foyer (AD)
    Wood Elf Epona Caoin (AD)
    Hotstuff Queen
  • Arkangeloski
    Arkangeloski
    ✭✭✭✭

Breton is a half breed :)
  • tplink3r1
    tplink3r1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vampires can't reproduce. Not sure about WWs.
    VR16 Templar
    VR3 Sorcerer
  • Marginis
    Marginis
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Technically, but I'm not sure that's relevant to this, as they are such a substantial category in their own right I think it's more apt to describe them as their own "breed" rather than a half breed.
  • Allypage
    Allypage
    ✭✭

from what I have read in Lore for WW/ Vamps, no because you cannot be infected with both "viruses" for RP purposes.. I guess that would be up to your group :D
    Also Argonians and Khajiit it seems can only breed among themselves.

The rest of the races it seems can intermingle at will :D

Edited by Allypage on May 17, 2018 6:07PM
  • notimetocare
    notimetocare
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Technically but just as technically not. A distinct race in themselves that follow the same racial distinction as any other. They are descended from long term interbreeding between to peoples. But at this point in the history of Tamriel they are no longer something to consider a half breed
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Is it plausible/possible for a half-breed to exist in ESO,

Yes inter-racial breeding is plausible, reference the Lore Book "Racial Phylogeny".
    or rather more specifically, half vampires and half werewolves?

That I highly doubt. The game insists you can only be cursed with one or the other and I think that extends beyond simple game mechanics.
    CP2,000 Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!