Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

So...IF ESO is unplugged

Lyserus
Lyserus
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
I want to say it first that this is not a "ESO is dead" "ZOS greed killed ESO" thread, this is simply a thing I've been thinking.

We have no idea how long ZOS is planning on developing ESO, most of the pre-release assets are used but new contents are coming out in a not bad quality. Granted supposely if ESO is providing money ZOS won't shut it down in near future, but we never know.

Here is my question/concern:
If one day ZOS decides to unplug ESO, does it mean that this will be the first elder scroll game that we won't be getting back to?
If you try hard enough you will be able to get back to even ES:Arena and ES:Daggerfall, but since ESO is a MMO that requires huge resource to upkeep, are we gonna lose all the lore development and stories in this time period of elder scroll universe and never able to get back to?
  • Runefang
    Runefang
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    People stand up servers to run defunct MMOs all the time. There would most likely be a way to do it, if Zenimax supplied the code.
  • ForsakenSin
    ForsakenSin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lyserus wrote: »

If one day ZOS decides to unplug ESO

The outcome!
    giphy.gif

Edited by ForsakenSin on April 27, 2018 2:01AM
    "By many i am seen as hero...as a savior of the Tamriel i will not stop until every Daedra every evil there is in Tamriel is vanquish by my hands..
    However i do this for my own purpose to gain trust of mortals to worship me and to eliminate my competition i will not bend my knee to lead your army to serve you Molag Bal , i will simply just take it from you.."--- Forsaken Sin( Magica Sorc)

Arise From Darkness Forsaken SIn
    "You have been a loyal High Elf Magica Sorc
    Conjure of Darkness, Master of Magic
    Killer of Molag Bal and Savior of Ebonheart Pact
    Until Dark Brotherhood killed you...
    but now..NOW its time to Arise From Darkness once again..."

• TempPlayer
    TempPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it possible to get back to any of the Elder Scrolls Travels nowadays?
  • DanteYoda
    DanteYoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    We wont care...

We will all be in ESO 2 or 3 by then.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It'll be like this game period in the lore - lost and forgotten with little to no lasting impacts.
  • AlienatedGoat
    AlienatedGoat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DanteYoda wrote: »
    We wont care...

I'm of the same mind as @DanteYoda. The franchise is so popular, they'd be crazy to not keep going. Either they do like WoW and keep developing the game, or they go the Final Fantasy route and make another MMO.
    PC-NA Goat
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Runefang wrote: »
    People stand up servers to run defunct MMOs all the time. There would most likely be a way to do it, if Zenimax supplied the code.

And I hope they would because ESO on private servers would be a dream come true! LOL
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

• DanteYoda
    DanteYoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Phage wrote: »
    We wont care...

I'm of the same mind as @DanteYoda. The franchise is so popular, they'd be crazy to not keep going. Either they do like WoW and keep developing the game, or they go the Final Fantasy route and make another MMO.

Pretty much what all mmos do these days, even the poorer ones reinvent themselves like TSW and Defiance are doing.
  • ccfeeling
    ccfeeling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    MornaBaine wrote: »

And I hope they would because ESO on private servers would be a dream come true! LOL

Woot , I love this idea lol !

high ping is not funny .
  • Twenty0zTsunami
    Twenty0zTsunami
    ✭✭✭✭

I started researching private eso servers a couple weeks after the game launched. As I recall, they had gotten as far as sort of "emulating" the character creation.

Frankly, I wasn't about to pay a sub for something that was reportedly half finished. Glad I didn't! jumped on a copy of the game when they ditched mandatory subs.
  • Twenty0zTsunami
    Twenty0zTsunami
    ✭✭✭✭
    Phage wrote: »
    We wont care...

Pretty much what all mmos do these days, even the poorer ones reinvent themselves like TSW and Defiance are doing.

I wish ESO would reinvent itself to match the fantasy paradigms of yesteryear.

Forget this 3-stat business. Give me a wisdom, dexterity, and charisma stat! Ditch item slots for strength-based capacities etc. Push for more "realism".
    Edited by Twenty0zTsunami on April 27, 2018 3:55AM
  • Lake
    Lake
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess loot boxes will help keep ESO going - just like the limping LOTRO.
  • DoctorESO
    DoctorESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I want to say it first that this is not a "ESO is dead" "ZOS greed killed ESO" thread, this is simply a thing I've been thinking.

We have no idea how long ZOS is planning on developing ESO, most of the pre-release assets are used but new contents are coming out in a not bad quality. Granted supposely if ESO is providing money ZOS won't shut it down in near future, but we never know.

If one day ZOS decides to unplug ESO, does it mean that this will be the first elder scroll game that we won't be getting back to?
    If you try hard enough you will be able to get back to even ES:Arena and ES:Daggerfall, but since ESO is a MMO that requires huge resource to upkeep, are we gonna lose all the lore development and stories in this time period of elder scroll universe and never able to get back to?

When ESO is retired, you will have retired from Elder Scrolls games. :)
  • Feanor
    Feanor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know one thing: I’d buy a stand-alone Version that I can run on my own PC without the need to have a company maintained Server in a heartbeat.
    Main characters: Feanor the Believer - AD Altmer mSorc - AR 46 - Flawless Conqueror (PC EU)Idril Arnanor - AD Altmer mSorc - CP 217 - Stormproof (PC NA)Other characters:
    Necrophilius Killgood - DC Imperial NecromancerFearscales - AD Argonian Templar - Stormproof (healer)Draco Imperialis - AD Imperial DK (tank)Cabed Naearamarth - AD Dunmer mDKValirion Willowthorne - AD Bosmer stamBladeTuruna - AD Altmer magBladeKheled Zaram - AD Redguard stamDKKibil Nala - AD Redguard stamSorc - StormproofYavanna Kémentárí - AD Breton magWardenAzog gro-Ghâsh - EP Orc stamWardenVidar Drakenblød - DC Nord mDKMarquis de Peyrac - DC Breton mSorc - StormproofRawlith Khaj'ra - AD Khajiit stamWardenTu'waccah - AD Redguard Stamplar
    All chars 50 @ CP 1700+. Playing and enjoying PvP with RdK mostly on PC EU.
  • Uviryth
    Uviryth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldnt be concerned for another 10 years. Then there will be Private Servers.
  • Bonzodog01
    Bonzodog01
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would reckon they will keep the servers open for at least 10 years after it goes into "maintenance mode" when content development ceases. By then I am hoping that ZOS will have a Fallout Online going - that could be interesting, and most likely a prequel as well like ESO is.

I have a deep suspicion that Bethesda are no longer interested in the ES or Fallout franchises and are now moving onto entirely new IP's.
    Xbox One - EU - EP/DC
    Trying and failing to hold the walls of his Templar house up since 2015
  • Eso101rus
    Eso101rus
    ✭✭✭✭
    Judging by the number of noobs, sorry new inexperienced players, that are clogging up the group finders, I don’t think the end is remotely in sight. There is plenty of map still to be filled out and the fan base are still buying new content, the introduction of chapters combined with crown store purchases will keep the game ticking over fairly smooth.
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TempPlayer wrote: »
    Is it possible to get back to any of the Elder Scrolls Travels nowadays?

Skyrim. And fan teams are working on bringing the Skyrim engine to Oblivion and Morrowind, called Skyblivion and Skywind.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’d be a lot more productive with my life.
  • Lyserus
    Lyserus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Bonzodog01 wrote: »
    I would reckon they will keep the servers open for at least 10 years after it goes into "maintenance mode" when content development ceases. By then I am hoping that ZOS will have a Fallout Online going - that could be interesting, and most likely a prequel as well like ESO is.

I have a deep suspicion that Bethesda are no longer interested in the ES or Fallout franchises and are now moving onto entirely new IP's.

I get the feeling that Bethesda just feel like "oh wow ES5 is a hit, let's mine it with official mods, and let's create a fallout version that is mod friendly (fallout 4) and use creation club to mine money on these for now on"

But can be a good thing tho, if Bethesda stops developing ES single player games, then "make way for new ES game" will not become a reason to terminate ESO
  • Violynne
    Violynne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zenimax lawyers will ensure this answer remains "Yes".

If ZoS unplugs ESO, believe me, you're not going to care, because you'll be playing the game everyone else left ESO to play.

When Fallout 4 was released, the game base dropped by the millions.

When Elder Scrolls VI: Elsweyr is released, the game base will drop by the millions again.

Every MMO sees these dips and spikes.

It's when players stop coming back studios sign the paperwork to pull the plug.

• Istoppucks
    Istoppucks
    ✭✭✭✭
    Games like lotro have 1/4 the playbase as ESO and they are still running going on 11 years now. Games like Swtor have doom and gloom threads about it shutting down every year and they will be releasing another xpac this year. Mmorpgs dont close down very often and eso wont be closing down any time soon.
    Edited by Istoppucks on April 27, 2018 2:19PM
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just to confirm, just the servers or the forum as well? One of those has a bigger impact on me than the other. :tongue:

On a serious note however if and when that sad day comes I will just move on with whatever I feel like playing then. Hopefully by that time I will be too old for this gaming thing any way.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Kodrac
    Kodrac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Well that's disappointing. I had my popcorn and angst already fired up.
  • TheRealPotoroo
    TheRealPotoroo
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a mental image of somebody setting up their private ESO server on a contemporary multicore PC and everybody suddenly having almost no lag.
    PC NA, PC EU

"Instead of taking the best of the dolmens (predictable rotation), the best of the geysers (scalability based on number of players), and the best of the dragons (map location and health indicators) and adding them together to make a fun and dynamic world event scenario, they gave us....... harrowstorms." https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/6850523/#Comment_6850523
  • VoodooPlatypus
    VoodooPlatypus
    ✭✭✭✭
    Turelus wrote: »
    Hopefully by that time I will be too old for this gaming thing any way.

What is this “too old for this gaming thing” of which you speak?!
  • Cpt_Teemo
    Cpt_Teemo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Lake wrote: »

Surprising Lotro still has tons of people still playing though, I just got back into it and still has like 15 servers
  • Istoppucks
    Istoppucks
    ✭✭✭✭
    Cpt_Teemo wrote: »

Surprising Lotro still has tons of people still playing though, I just got back into it and still has like 15 servers

As of 2015 there are 5 US servers and 5 EU servers.
  • Cpt_Teemo
    Cpt_Teemo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Istoppucks wrote: »

Oh yeah my mistake woops thought someone said something 15 servers on the discord but still quite a few servers for such an old game, nothing compared to WoW though but still pretty good shape
  • Istoppucks
    Istoppucks
    ✭✭✭✭
    Istoppucks wrote: »

Oh yeah my mistake woops thought someone said something 15 servers on the discord but still quite a few servers for such an old game, nothing compared to WoW though but still pretty good shape

I agree i go back every once and awhile the server im on seems pretty active.

Their forums are going crazy because Standing Stone is owned by Daybreak and daybreak is shutting down.