The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Anyone else hate staves?

Mannox
Mannox
✭✭✭
I mean this thematically. I always end up abandoning my magicka builds because to me staves look really stupid. It's also not a TES thing. Casting always required a free hand in TES games. For ESO I feel it's just an 'MMO thing'. Which to me is dumb.

lol, I know it's a cry post. Not exactly game breaking but it has always bothered me. I hate the necessity for staves in order to have competitive magicka DPS. That is to say, DPS that matters. I guess I could cry about Dual Wield for that matter too.

Anyway
  • Eyro
    Eyro
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh yes. It is the main reason I am almost all stamina across the characters I do play. Im tired of always having to wear a staff. It is horrible.

The difference with dual wield is first Im not always using a two weapons. Quite often I’m switched out to bow. And second now I can make them look like any of the dual wield weapons. Dagger/sword/axe. My staff is always a staff.
    Edited by Eyro on April 26, 2018 2:20AM
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm hoping sword and rune becomes a thing as teased before
    Edited by Aliyavana on April 26, 2018 2:22AM
  • emilyhyoyeon
    emilyhyoyeon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I actually never liked that casting always required a free hand in the other TES games (I think, in the single player games, it should be both). But yeah I wish there were more magicka weapon options (not staves) even though I also want alteration and illusion staves to be added
    IGN @ emilypumpkin
    Zirasia Firemaker, imperial fire mage & sunbather _ Deebaba Soul-Weaver, argonian spirit minder & soul gem collector
    Tullanisse Starborne, altmer battlemage & ayleid researcher _ Qa'Rirra, khajiit assassin & dancer
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I quite love staves in ESO. In Oblivion and Skyrim, staves were jokes - I was so pleased that, in ESO, staves were finally, serious and effective weapons. Helps make up for the giant degradation bows suffered in ESO compared to TES 4 & 5. Lol.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • Dapper Dinosaur
    Dapper Dinosaur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I only played a few hours of Dragon Age Inquisition, but the one thing I will say it did supremely better than ESO is the attacking animation(s) with the staff. In that game, the basic attacks are all kinds of spins, twirls, and flourishes that you would expect a fantasy staff-wielder to do. ESO has literally the laziest and most boring animations possible.
    Edited by Dapper Dinosaur on April 26, 2018 2:30AM
  • ToRelax
    ToRelax
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    In many single player games, staves are either just boosting your stats a little or having a single spell/attack you could cast with them. So I like being able to actually use them to cast a variety of different spells. The thought of running around with two of them at any given time is a bit silly though.
    DAGON - ALTADOON - CHIM - GHARTOK
    The Covenant is broken. The Enemy has won...

Elo'dryel - Sorc - AR 50 - Hopesfire - EP EU
  • Sting864
    Sting864
    ✭✭✭✭
    After Update 18 drops, you can hate 'em twice as much... :wink:
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aliyavana wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxVRzbNHyQI

Something like that worked out for another MMO
    Experienced, new, returner? Help keep ESO's community strong ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ -- share what you love about the game, offer constructive feedback, and make friends.ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Who are you in Tamriel (whether it's just your character's attitude & style or a full backstory)? - Share your Character's Story! ◔ ⌣ ◔
    (And let us know 🔷What Kind of Roleplayer You Are🔷 - even if that only extends to choosing your race)

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Support Mudcrab Mode for ESO (\/)!_!(\/) - part joke, part serious, all glorious! You butter be ready for this
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, it's a bit silly, really ...
    :smile:
  • JJBoomer
    JJBoomer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope. I quite like staves. I actually wouldn't mind some kind of 1H staves and rune instead of sword/rune. I would actually like to see more diversity in staves.

Staves are pretty much the only weapon I use in this game. Got no interest in swords.
  • DanteYoda
    DanteYoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Never understood why games give you a staff but you can't hit anyone with the damn thing.. Magicka is great an all but staff combat is eic...
  • ForsakenSin
    ForsakenSin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DanteYoda wrote: »
    Never understood why games give you a staff but you can't hit anyone with the damn thing.. Magicka is great an all but staff combat is eic...

I would love to be able to use it like this

ValidLastingBull-size_restricted.gif
    "By many i am seen as hero...as a savior of the Tamriel i will not stop until every Daedra every evil there is in Tamriel is vanquish by my hands..
    However i do this for my own purpose to gain trust of mortals to worship me and to eliminate my competition i will not bend my knee to lead your army to serve you Molag Bal , i will simply just take it from you.."--- Forsaken Sin( Magica Sorc)

Arise From Darkness Forsaken SIn
    "You have been a loyal High Elf Magica Sorc
    Conjure of Darkness, Master of Magic
    Killer of Molag Bal and Savior of Ebonheart Pact
    Until Dark Brotherhood killed you...
    but now..NOW its time to Arise From Darkness once again..."

• Drachenfier
    Drachenfier
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hate the way staves are done in this game. Like, really, really hate it. From casting animations to the stupid way our characters hold them, I hate everything about them
  • DoctorESO
    DoctorESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Mannox wrote: »
    I mean this thematically. I always end up abandoning my magicka builds because to me staves look really stupid. It's also not a TES thing. Casting always required a free hand in TES games. For ESO I feel it's just an 'MMO thing'. Which to me is dumb.

lol, I know it's a cry post. Not exactly game breaking but it has always bothered me. I hate the necessity for staves in order to have competitive magicka DPS. That is to say, DPS that matters. I guess I could cry about Dual Wield for that matter too.

Anyway

I actually like staves. They are unique and don't have an equivalent in real life.
  • DanteYoda
    DanteYoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    DanteYoda wrote: »

I would love to be able to use it like this

ValidLastingBull-size_restricted.gif

EXACTLY!
  • Nyladreas
    Nyladreas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    YES!! I can't stand staves. I wish my character could have a 1 hand sword, and some sort of magic focus in the other hand. Kinda like the wizard orbs in Diablo 3, imbued with different elements. I'd be in the game 24/7.
    Edited by Nyladreas on April 26, 2018 4:10AM
  • Danel_Vadan
    Danel_Vadan
    ✭✭✭
    Agree. It's why my Questing Magplar runs with a 2-handed sword, DPS be damned. (Although I have staff back bar for AOE).
    Tam! RUGH!
  • BretonMage
    BretonMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really like staves in ESO. They didn’t work effectively in Skyrim (much too slow, inaccurate aim etc) but they work really well here. I appreciate being able to have light and heavy staff attacks, it makes it a little more interesting. I like the animation for putting them away too, very cute.
  • Yzalirk
    Yzalirk
    ✭✭✭✭
    Staves are for soft milk drinkers who are afraid to get their hands dirty!
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Random Idea,

Instead of Staves our Magic weapons would just be Spells or Runes that we place in our Weapon slots like normal, and that allows us to do a form of Dual Wielding Magic skill line where like you said, we cast abilities with "free hand" magic. Actually we can just keep Staves as the Magical Two Handed weapon, and on top of that create a Dual Wield Magic skill tree so we can have both. The Staves would be heavier, slower abilities, the free hand dual wield one would be lighter faster skills.

And I also do wish I could just shoot fire and lighting out of my hands again.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • rynth
    rynth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't mind staves as with a lot of fantasy mage's staffs have always been a piece of power, but I also understand where you are coming from. It would be nice to have an attack ability that uses magic with your hands like regular ES games, I still like my idea for a spell and sword, but I see no reason to no have a spell and staff ability either.

Perhaps if they had a hand spell skill line and you can combine that with other skill lines, if you have weapons slotted there should be no reason why you can't mix and match skill lines on the same bar even though you don't have the weapon up but as long as it's slotted as a backup weapon you should be able to use the skill line it offers even though you don't have it unsheathed or out for use.
    When asked what he would do for a Klondike bar. Grand Moff Tarkin said "why I would blow up Alderaan."
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't mind staves, but it gets boring using them ALL the time and not having any other option for magicka characters. My biggest issue with them was that they only counted as one set piece, but luckily that'll change in a couple of months. Yay
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mannox wrote: »

Anyway

100% yes @Mannox I'm a MagSorc from launch and hate dual wands. Hence I run Duel Wield / MagDW. However this patch they finally killing it off so its a bad Time to try it.

Patch after patch they been killing it slowly. It's a real shame. They love role diversity (allowing NB healers and Sorc Tanks etc) but weopon diversity nope.
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • Zordrage
    Zordrage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i also really HATE staves.....
  • VonNelson
    VonNelson
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I’d love to smack people about with it. Kind of seems like a waste
  • Vahrokh
    Vahrokh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I don't hate staves.

I HATE how much bugged they are. Every other rotation they get "stuck" in some animation glitch.

The animations could be way better too. But it's the "bugged" part that annoys me to no end.
  • Medakon
    Medakon
    ✭✭✭
    Guess you didn't play Elderstaves Online :tongue:
    It was a time where a bow, or melee weapons would be instant kick from PvE content, and everyone laughed at your playstyle. Stamina was not a playable option, as magica builds were so overpowered compare to it.
    Medakon - Legendary Super Hero Professional Assassin Nightblade from Tamriel who do different stuff B)
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ^ lol ah the good days of launch. Ever since its been Elder Stamina Online ;)
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • N00BxV1
    N00BxV1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vahrokh wrote: »
    I don't hate staves.

I HATE how much bugged they are. Every other rotation they get "stuck" in some animation glitch.

The animations could be way better too. But it's the "bugged" part that annoys me to no end.

^This.
  • Azuramoonstar
    Azuramoonstar
    ✭✭✭✭
    my guess none of you understand how staves work?

you cast the magic the staff is a focus point. you put magic in the staff as a focus and release the energy.

In TES staves are enchanted and the magic comes from the staff itself.
    of the mmo and rpg i played ESO/TES staves make the most sense.
    Aliyavana wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxVRzbNHyQI

Something like that worked out for another MMO

rdm is ff14 is actually over powered. the way the class works us the orb attaches to the hilt of the rapier and acts as a staff. you have to balance black and white magic then go in with an enchanted sword to slash up before jumping away and picking a finisher spell. It can melee, cast nukes and has a strong cure. It can raise people and it has a duel cast trait that every other cast is instant.
    Long time mmo player: 2004-[current year]
    Long time Elder scrolls player: Xbox launch morrowind.
    Follower of the dawn and dusk, keeper of the moon and star.