The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

A lot of rude players in the community

• N2woR
    N2woR
    ✭✭✭
    I’ll always ask in chat if they know the mechanics of the harder boss fights and if not I can explain them, most never answer and the ones that do generally try to keep to my advice. There’s always a slight beautiful mess to it all but you have to give those players credit, the thing is I all ways think I sound preachy even though I’m generally trying to help. It’s text form and just the way it comes across
    [PS4]
    Guilds
    Snowborn Wolf Pack Elite
    Snowborn Wolf Pack
    Toons
    Grim Myth - Nord DK Tank
    Just Grim - Redguard Stam Sorc

• Tan9oSuccka
    Tan9oSuccka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Aliyavana wrote: »
    I once tried to help out a lowbie on his bow la spamming build when he qued into my vet scalecaller, he called me an elitist and said that high end players are toxic. Some lowbies take build critism badly

This is true.

People take great offense if you offer build help.

Whatever dude...keep light attacking with your bow with an occasional funnel health. :)
    Of course I like steak. I'm a Nord, aren't I?
    -Berj Stoneheart
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Juju_beans wrote: »
    I once tried to help out a lowbie on his bow la spamming build when he qued into my vet scalecaller, he called me an elitist and said that high end players are toxic. Some lowbies take build critism badly

Only give advice if advice was asked for.

You didn't "give advice" because none was asked. You criticized him..you judged him. Criticizing generates destructive energy.

That's psychology 101.
    Soleya wrote: »
    Apache_Kid wrote: »
    This is simply not true.

Sometimes I want to do a pledge to get undaunted points on an alt and the normal people who i would run vet dungeons with are not on. So instead i get a CP 55 dark elf nightblade spamming ambush as their main form of DPS.

So you'd be happy with a CP160 nightblade doing ambush as their main form of dps? Or perhaps a CP 720 doing that instead.

CP != Skill.

Just think, if everyone was a bit more helpful to the CP 55 players who aren't good, we'd have a lot less complaints about bad players.

So in the end, it's your fault if you don't help players improve, and you're an elitist if you make the attempt.
    Basically just do what you want @Aliyavana

Some poeple will care and heed your advice, other won't even hear it. The vast majority of players won't give af what you try to tell them no matter how nicely you deliver it. Either they are:
    1. Trying to actively improve themselves and better understand the game (will listen to you)
    or
    2. Stuck in the "play how you want to play and anyone who tells me what to do is an elitist" mindset (will ignore, etc)

You won't be able to help most players. I find the higher levels that spam light attacks to be a lot less receptive to advice/criticism than lowbies. This is likely because they have been playing that way for a very long time and have already rejected any comments made regarding their build, while lowbies might want to get better but are still relatively new.

Like I said, just do what you feel is right and be polite when making any sort of suggestion.
  • Aebaradath
    Aebaradath
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh, don't give me that. If a group gets stuck because they're oblivious to the mechanics or if I'm in a group with a tank that has no taunt (and I have some great stories about stupid tanks), or any other stupidity, I'll call them out on it whether they like it or not.

Well calling them out is not the same as giving advice now is it ?

Poster said they were trying to be helpful. Being helpful works better if advice was asked for.
    Semantics, really? Calling, giving advice, whatever it is - I'll give tell them whether they like it or not.

Standing idly by and letting them continue as they are is useless. Not addressing it will just let those people get away with it in other dungeons. Jolly!
  • vamp_emily
    vamp_emily
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I like people offering advice but not one that is being a tush about it.

For example someone said:
    kill the poisonous stranglers. You must kill the poisonous stranglers first.

We wipe, and then they say:

We wipe and then they say:

After that I almost had enough, i got some tush that clearly can't see that everyone is killing the freaking stranglers. But he repeatedly kept saying the same thing over and over. The real problem was we had some fake dps that didn't have the proper gear or CP. So not only did I have to watch the fake dps but I also had to listen to the tush tank that did nothing when we needed help rezzing.

If you want a friend, get a dog.
    AW Rank: Grand Warlord 1 ( level 49)

• MasterSpatula
    MasterSpatula
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you truly want to judge a person's character, judge by how he or she acts when there are no consequences.

"A probable impossibility is preferable to an improbable possibility." - Aristotle
  • Jade1986
    Jade1986
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Dragonnord wrote: »
    Real humans play this game.

Correction anti social humans act like that.
  • luen79rwb17_ESO
    luen79rwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    With a very few exceptions, ESO is one of the less toxic online environments
    PC/DC/NAserver

V16 sorc - V16 temp - V16 dk - V1 nb - V1 temp - V1 dk
  • BeefyMrTips
    BeefyMrTips
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lol what if, purely what if, humans are just really crappy creatures who are the perfect model for self destruction but also have the capability of dragging you in too, like a black hole.

Humans = Blackholes

[snip]
    [edited for baiting]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on April 17, 2022 4:36PM
    Mr. was my Father's name, just the tips is fine.
  • Stewart1874
    Stewart1874
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I mean..

I suppose if you're on the receiving end of my rage i'm going to come across as rude but invariably thats because I'm right and you're wrong :P (jk)

I think things get heated on topics like loot crates. That causes folk to get short with each other when folk refuse to acknowledge that it is gambling irrespective of subjective legal definitions. Outside of debate if folk are being rude then they're just *** that should be put on block :)
    PS4 - Europe - Aldmeri Dominion
  • smacx250
    smacx250
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    After 4 years of ESO, my ignore list - is empty! The most "grief" I've gotten is from grinders telling me I'm "doing it wrong" (when I'm not doing it at all). But I pretty much don't pug - go solo or group with guildies/friends. I've actually never used the dungeon finder, as the pugs have all been face-to-face or zone. I intend to keep it that way.
  • Malthorne
    Malthorne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Katahdin wrote: »
    It's not the community, people in general are more rude everywhere

I'm not sure I agree with that.

lets look at ESO FFXIV and Guild Wars 2.

In GW2 and FFXIV there is a real danger of getting your account deleted if you act like a Dungnozzle in game or on the forums not temporarily suspended, but permanently deleted in a very public humiliating and unforgiving way. The result from all extensible purposes is a very well mannered community, because of actual consequences.

In ESO there are no real consequences for anything, sure you might get a forum ban but forums are not attached to your game account and five bucks for a new key gets you back spewing hate.

Forum users can call for the shaming of players who support the business model, call them vile names and they will more than likely get rewarded with the title of community ambassador. groups of players can follow you around and whisper death threats to you for riding a Apex mount...and not a solitary thing will be done about it.

There are consequences to this to.....and the consequence is a community that looks more like League of legends than a mmo community.

FFXIV doesn’t mess around lol.

A few weeks ago they banned a couple of raiders for disparaging someone’s DPS on Twitter. A little extreme in my opinion, but at least they actually care about fostering a healthy community.
    With a very few exceptions, ESO is one of the less toxic online environments

ESO is the saltiest MMO I’ve played and it’s not close. Myself and my friends have been taking screenshots of the rage and salt sent through whispers in this game and share them on discord. Death threats, racist, and homophobic comments are quite common. It doesn’t bother me and I usually just laugh it off. It is hilarious what folks are allowed to get away with in ESO without any fear of punishment.
  • Sting864
    Sting864
    ✭✭✭✭
    Internet anonymity turns some people into jerks since they cannot be held accountable for their actions.

The Internet doesn't turn people into jerks... It reveals their inner jerkiness.....
  • Benemime
    Benemime
    ✭✭✭✭

You didn't "give advice" because none was asked. You criticized him..you judged him. Criticizing generates destructive energy.

That's psychology 101.

I agree 100%. Imaging him giving an advice, without being asked for, it feels like critique. "why don't you use X instead of LA? Why don't u do this instead of that?" see? It feels like a condescending critique, although he might not meant to be rude.
    Edited by Benemime on April 24, 2018 8:42PM
  • wenchmore420b14_ESO
    wenchmore420b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sorry to hear of your bad experiences with others.
    On PC/NA I can say that the majority of the community is very helpful and nice.
    Yes there are a few, but all in all a good group.
    I wish you luck and hope the XBox crowd gets better..
    Huzzah!
    Drakon Koryn~Oryndill, Rogue~Mage,- CP ~Doesn't matter any more
    NA / PC Beta Member since Nov 2013
    GM~Conclave-of-Shadows, EP Social Guild, ~Proud member of: The Wandering Merchants, Phoenix Rising, Imperial Trade Union & Celestials of Nirn
    Sister Guilds with: Coroner's Report, Children of Skyrim, Sunshine Daydream, Tamriel Fisheries, Knights Arcanum and more
    "Not All Who Wander are Lost"
    #MOREHOUSINGSLOTS
    “When the people that can make the company more successful are sales and marketing people, they end up running the companies. The product people get driven out of the decision making forums, and the companies forget what it means to make great products.”

_Steve Jobs (The Lost Interview)
  • Malakor
    Malakor
    ✭✭✭
    “Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.”

― Robert E. Howard
  • Kolache
    Kolache
    ✭✭✭✭
    There are a lot of cool people in the community :)

More than once I've started a dungeon with someone who gifted me an unsolicited critique (to put it nicely) of my performance in a role... only to end up with them on my friends list by the end of the run :)

Of course that won't work with everyone but sometimes it's just easier to turn the other cheek and try to make friends. Everybody says stupid stuff sooner or later in online games. It's just like driving--go easy--sometimes that [snip] at that didn't realize the light that turned green is you :)

[edited for profanity bypass]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on April 17, 2022 4:29PM
    Something being unbalanced in 1v1 does not imply that it is balanced in group play.
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    logarifmik wrote: »
    No offence, but it sounds kinda hippie. Seriously, personally I hardly ever encountered rude people in ESO. If you want to see how a community with a lot of rude players looks like, try DotA 2.

You call it being a hippie, I call it being a decent person.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • Gnortranermara
    Gnortranermara
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A lot of the toxicity in the game is a direct and predictable consequence of certain game design flaws and anti-social elements built into the game by developers. They seem deliberately designed this way, to create toxicity and animosity between players (not competition, which is a good thing, but actual conflict), because they are obvious design flaws, easy to fix, but rarely get fixed.

Lowbies have no business queuing for difficult veteran content like Cradle or Scalecaller. When they do, it makes the experience awful for everyone. Players who can easily complete the content with a competent group get frustrated with these people who can't pull their own weight. This is the rare example that ZOS has actually been fixing lately by introducing minimum level requirements for some of the more difficult dungeons.

It is ridiculously easy to steal Emperor by boosting, using your friends on another alliance to help you farm AP in your home campaign at a far higher rate than the natural gains of players who are doing it the right way. This practice makes PvP players on the same alliance hate each other and it makes them suspicious that anyone doing well is cheating. Boosting is cheating, but boosters consistently go unpunished after stealing Emperor from the serious PvPers who actually put in work fighting the war and flipping the map. It took me 3 tries to get Emperor because my first two attempts were stolen by these scummy boosters and the sour experience with no remedy available to fix it nearly drove me to quit ESO altogether.

A related problem: it's way too easy for DNB's (ask Ronda Rousey what that means) to leech AP by simply showing up at keeps when they flip. You can get more AP by maxing out your speed and running from site to site than you can by fighting. (There are some big changes coming to the AP system next patch that might remedy this. Might.) Leeches are a scourge in Cyrodiil and create more antisocial hatred between players of the same alliance. (Note I'm not talking about those who just roll up to the party a bit late. That happens to all of us. I'm talking about those leeching scum who deliberately use it as their primary AP farming strategy, staying on their mounts watching others do the work 24/7.)

Shared resource nodes result in inconsiderate jerks taking nodes that someone else is clearly trying to harvest (usually while the first player is clearing a nearby enemy so they can pick it up). That wouldn't be too bad if the player who had their node stolen had some way of fighting back (ie. initiating a forced duel the person couldn't decline or whatever), but since there is no means of seeking retribution against the in-game character these actions just leave you seething against the other player with no remedy available. Global nodes are antisocial. We should have instanced nodes with a lower respawn rate, not global nodes.

Splitting XP when too many people are hitting the same target discourages group play and creates the perception that other players ruin XP gains. There are only a few optimal grind locations for people to gain CP or to get a new morph of a skill leveled up, and the presence of other players in those locations creates conflict. Yes, people can always go to Skyreach or Maelstrom or whatever, but it really shouldn't be necessary because XP should not be split just because other people hit the same target.

ZOS does nothing to solve the bot problem in this game -- a very easy problem to solve that my 9 year old son, who I've trained as an amateur programming hobbyist like myself, could whip up in 20-30 mins. Bots create a variety of problems for real players, like wiping out mobs to ruin farm locations or exploiting resource nodes. Bots ruining these locations just increases player conflict over the remaining locations that aren't overrun with bots.

These are just a few things off the top of my head that create animosity between players. These problems have every appearance of being deliberately designed antisocial elements, for whatever reason. Maybe anger and hating other people somehow keeps customers coming back (because human psychology is effed up), I don't know.
    Edited by Gnortranermara on April 24, 2018 11:36PM
  • rosendoichinoveb17_ESO
    rosendoichinoveb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have played this game for more than 4 years. Based on my experience the rude and toxic players are only low CP ones and those that don't do Trials on regular basis. When people put a lot of effort in this game they start to appreciate it more and tend to be more helpful to other players. Especially the trial community is very nice because if you are targeted as rude and toxic noone will take you on trials as a lot of the times there are mixed groups and people know at least something about one another.

So be assured that things will only get better the more you play and improve.
  • vamp_emily
    vamp_emily
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    They should have a player rating system. That would change everything. People would be so kind to each other just because they want you to hit the 'I like this player' button.

On the flip side, I would be in a bad place if that ever happened. I might get an in game achievement for "most hated player".

If you want a friend, get a dog.
    AW Rank: Grand Warlord 1 ( level 49)

• Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That's psychology 101.

Ok, so maybe next time I will kick them out of my group without any tips/explanations if that's what you want. It's not judging, if someones holding back the group because their dps is low I will try to help them and if they refuse to then mmos are not their thing and their refusal to help us out by refusing to help themselves will get them kicked
  • Loralai_907
    Loralai_907
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my experience, what I think is going to happen and what actually happens are not the same. I avoided PvP for years because I was so worried about jerkface people. I started running around Cyro last summer and I've only had 1 person be a jerk in that whole time. I love it in there and its most of what I do these days. So I avoided it for years for literally no good reason.

But at the same time, I'm doing the same thing with group dungeons. I'm so hung up on doing bad and getting kicked, or getting kicked for wanting to get the quests done in them, that I just don't run them at all. I should just try to perfect a couple of builds and go run them anyways. Rip the band aid off, so to speak.
    PC-NA - formerly, mommadani907Guild: Weeping Angels - Co-GMTwitter: @ Loralai_907 several Alt accounts....CP 1700+
    Active characters:Fauna Rosewood ( Bosmer Stam DK - Master Crafter/AD)///Loralai Darknova (Drunken Zombie Bosmer Stam Sorc - PvP/AD)Lilith Darknova ( Dunmer Mag DK - Master Crafter - PvP/AD)///and roughly 1billion alts
  • phileunderx2
    phileunderx2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have run across a few rude people but they are far outnumbered by the nice. :)
  • alephthiago
    alephthiago
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I enjoy pvp even out of Cyrodiil.
    Walks-in-Shadowss AD Magblade
    *** kitty AD Stamblade
    Paarthurnax's Will AD Magicka DK
    agnar cracked skull EP Magicka DK (veteran dragonstar arena bot)
    Klogi Mugdul AD Stamina DK
    Savre Selranni AD Magicka Sorc (being polished)
    Avenar Lolhealing AD Magicka Templar (being polished)

• GreenhaloX
    GreenhaloX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Violynne wrote: »
    You know, I'd like to know where these people are, because I've not run across one single rude person in this game.

Almost everyone I've spoken with or played with has been very helpful and nice.

I'm not saying rude people don't exist, I'm sure they do, but I can't believe for one second the game is filled with them.

So rather than harp one the few rude people, why not actually write a post about the many more nice people you've encountered.

I'll put up a box of donuts there are many more friendly people than rude.

Really..? Ha ha ha. Either you're fairly new to the game, or play without the text chat on, or have yet to do PvP in Cyrodiil. Perhaps, you're the type that what many others deem to be vulgar, toxic, harassment, racist name calling/bashing.. and so on doesn't bother you; then yes, you probably haven't ran into a single rude person. I cannot take up on your donuts offer, as much as I like donuts. It's just I would get too fat from the boxes that I would otherwise get and wouldn't be able to run enough miles ever to counter it.

Although, it is good that you feel everyone in the game is peachy and a saint. It can be good to have such a positive and optimistic perspective. However, be warned.. denial can be very unhealthy, but it is the first step to overall recovery. I believe you're still stuck in the first denial stage. Ha ha
  • ktdotexe
    ktdotexe
    ✭✭✭
    [deleted]
    Edited by ktdotexe on July 11, 2019 4:57PM
  • Casul
    Casul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @GreenhaloX
    Just because words do not upset someone doesn’t mean they are in denial. Some people just have thicker skin. A lot of people seem to forget that.

PvP needs more love.
  • MerlinPendragon
    MerlinPendragon
    ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to being in an MMO.

Find a good guild to jam with and you will be fine.
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The best experience I've ever had in an MMO is FF14. There are rewards given out after obtaining a certain number of commendations, which can be handed out (one per player) to anyone in your dungeon group you thought did well, wasn't a jerk, or any other reason you might want to reward someone. You can't hand them out to friends, or other people you joined the dungeon with, so no abuse of the system.

There is also a world chat made just for help. New players have one icon, and after doing a ton of different aspects of the game (assuring the player both knows what they are talking about, and is willing to help), players can be promoted to a higher rank, showing you are a willing mentor.

Games dont have enough aspects to incentivise people to go out of their way to be nice. There is a lot going into getting people to spend money (no hate), but nothing is done to get people to help out, or just not be total ***.
This discussion has been closed.