The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

A lot of rude players in the community

briflexia
briflexia
✭✭✭
So I am sure not one to judge people at all but during my short time period on this game I have definitely ran into quit a few people who talk crap on low levels they play with and I just don’t understand why they do so, if you have such a problem with people why stay in a group with them and not just leave? Yes this is probably a stupid post but for such a beautiful game why do people still have to hate, I may never understand.
Edited by ZOS_Icy on April 17, 2022 4:49PM
“Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear.“
  • Dragonnord
    Dragonnord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Real humans play this game so...

Edited by Dragonnord on April 25, 2018 8:19AM
    SERVER: NA | PLATFORM: PC | OS: Windows 10 | CLIENT: Steam | ESO PLUS: Yes
  • Katahdin
    Katahdin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not the community, people in general are more rude everywhere
    Beta tester November 2013
  • briflexia
    briflexia
    ✭✭✭
    @Dragonnord well duh I understand not to be fake with people but I’ve heard some pretty nasty things said to other characters over some things and I just don’t see why they would continue to play with someone they talk so poorly too, there are more then enough players to join up with so why not join up with a different group
    “Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear.“
  • briflexia
    briflexia
    ✭✭✭
    @Katahdin that is true
  • Enemy-of-Coldharbour
    Enemy-of-Coldharbour
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Internet anonymity turns some people into jerks since they cannot be held accountable for their actions.

Silivren (Silly) Thalionwen | Altmer Templar | Magicka | 9-Trait Master Crafter/Jeweler | Master Angler | PVE Main - Killed by U35
    Jahsul at-Sahan | Redguard Sorcerer | Stamina | Werewolf - Free Bites | PVP Main
    Derrok Gunnolf | Redguard Dragonknight | Stamina | Werewolf - Free Bites
    Liliana Littleleaf | 9-Trait Grand Master Crafter/Jeweler (non-combat)
    Amber Emberheart | Breton Dragonknight | Stamina | Master Angler
    Vlos Anon | Dunmer Nightblade | Magicka | Vampire - Free Bites
    Kalina Valos | Dunmer Warden | Magicka | Vampire - Free Bites
    Swiftpaws-Moonshadow | Khajiit Nightblade | Stamina
    Morgul Vardar | Altmer Necromancer | Magicka
    Tithin Geil | Altmer Sorceress | Magicka
    Dhryk | Imperial Dragonknight | Stamina

Guild Master - ESO Traders Union
    PC/NA - CP 2250+
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I once tried to help out a lowbie on his bow la spamming build when he qued into my vet scalecaller, he called me an elitist and said that high end players are toxic. Some lowbies take build critism badly
  • logarifmik
    logarifmik
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No offence, but it sounds kinda hippie. Seriously, personally I hardly ever encountered rude people in ESO. If you want to see how a community with a lot of rude players looks like, try DotA 2.
    EU PC: @logarifmik | Languages: Русский, English
    Dimitri Frernis | Breton Sorcerer | Damage Dealer | Daggerfall Covenant
    Scales-of-Ice | Argonian Warden | Tank / Healer | Daggerfall Covenant
  • briflexia
    briflexia
    ✭✭✭
    @Aliyavana that’s just crazy some people ha
  • briflexia
    briflexia
    ✭✭✭
    @logarifmik yeah I bet that did sound hippie haha sorry my bad I didn’t mean to come out as some peace freak or anything and I’ve never played that one before I did play call of duty a lot and there was a lot of salty people at each others necks on there
  • pandoraderomanus
    pandoraderomanus
    ✭✭✭
    Well, after playing some russian mail.ru F2P games I can say that this game is almost perfect in terms of communication between players.

You can put annoying players on ignore list. Or vote to kick. Or report.
    PC-EU since 2014

Touches-Your-Tralala - retired lizardina-templar
    Pandora Morgenstern - noob orc-stamsorc
  • Violynne
    Violynne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You know, I'd like to know where these people are, because I've not run across one single rude person in this game.

Almost everyone I've spoken with or played with has been very helpful and nice.

I'm not saying rude people don't exist, I'm sure they do, but I can't believe for one second the game is filled with them.

So rather than harp one the few rude people, why not actually write a post about the many more nice people you've encountered.

I'll put up a box of donuts there are many more friendly people than rude.

• Prof_Bawbag
    Prof_Bawbag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Aliyavana wrote: »
    I once tried to help out a lowbie on his bow la spamming build when he qued into my vet scalecaller, he called me an elitist and said that high end players are toxic. Some lowbies take build critism badly

Tbf, some higher levelled players lack the delivery when speaking to lower or newer players. If i had £1 for every time I've heard someone take it upon themselves to hand out advice, then sit there and scratch their head wondering why other players took their advice as condescending claptrap, I wouldn't be sat here typing this, i'd be on a Yacht, surrounded by a bevvy of beauties in the Mediterranean.

For every bit the "lowbie" lacks skill wise, some self important player lacks in self awareness. Always find it strange why some people can pass on advice and never ever encounter a hostile player, whilst other self proclaimed helpers get nothing but abuse. Many a times I've sat there irked listening to their awful delivery and I wasn't even the one getting the advice.

Edited by Prof_Bawbag on April 24, 2018 7:45PM
  • Juju_beans
    Juju_beans
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Only give advice if advice was asked for.

You didn't "give advice" because none was asked. You criticized him..you judged him. Criticizing generates destructive energy.

That's psychology 101.

• DMuehlhausen
    DMuehlhausen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I will almost never kick anybody from a group unless they are just be an *** and refusing to learn something.

The other night in vBanished Cells 1 there was a CP 179 that wasn't using the must effecient of skills. The tank and other dps left and ran off on the 3rd boss. Saying they weren't going to carry us. Well you obviously aren't carrying your healer really. The demanded we leave cause it was "their dungeon". I just told them I had all night knowing a vote would never pass to kick me. Myself and the other DD just sat there till they left. Eventually they left and replacements came in and we finished the dungeon.
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've found in game things are cool.

This forum however not so cool at times
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • Shezzarrine
    Shezzarrine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Juju_beans wrote: »

You didn't "give advice" because none was asked. You criticized him..you judged him. Criticizing generates destructive energy.

That's psychology 101.

No, it's more like "I'm sorry but your light attack bow build just doesn't give enough dps to finish this dungeon, if you want to increase your dps here is what to do...."

It's not just criticism and judging, it's letting them know that their build just isn't good enough and that "play how you want" can only get you so far.
  • Aebaradath
    Aebaradath
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh, don't give me that. If a group gets stuck because they're oblivious to the mechanics or if I'm in a group with a tank that has no taunt (and I have some great stories about stupid tanks), or any other stupidity, I'll call them out on it whether they like it or not.
  • Ectheliontnacil
    Ectheliontnacil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    When I first started playing eso, I felt the game had a much more friendly community. For instance in pvp it was commonplace to whisper a skilled opponent (no matter if you won or lost) and tell them "gf". Nowadays you'll probably get the bag or someone telling you how "cheesy" your build is.

Getting into top tier pvp means meeting people with over inflated egos (on PC EU at least). So much drama, exposure and threats circling around.

In pve there's also rude people. But I think hostility is somewhat softened by the fact that you're working together and not competing against one another. For harder content I like to play with good players, we join discord and we all have fun and are respectful. Even if it takes a couple attempts (the dragon bone dlc achievements for example).

If you want to avoid ragers, I suggest you don't pug hard content. Easy vet dungeons are ok, but don't do harder ones with pug groups. And if you do, you and your team need to be patient :smile: .
    Edited by Ectheliontnacil on April 24, 2018 6:37PM
  • Ley
    Ley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I must be doing something right, I very rarely encounter rude people in game and when I do they're typically not directing their bad attitude at me. Most of my interaction is with my guild mates and I'm pretty happy with the guilds that I'm in. They enforce a certain level of maturity and respect that I find agreeable.

As far as people being rude in group content. I just try to make sure that I'm not holding back the group. I make sure that I'm playing my role adequately for the type of group I'm with. I can't help it if someone gets upset about the performance of someone else in the group. If that person is so upset that they decide to rage quit, so be it. I typically won't agree to kick someone unless they're not making any effort.

If I see toxic people, I just put them on ignore.
    Leylith - MagSorc | Leyloth - StamPlar | Leynerd - MagPlar | Leylit - StamBlade | Ley Eviticus - StamDK | Leydor - MagDen | Leylum - StamSorc | Leylux - MagBlade
  • Ohtimbar
    Ohtimbar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    briflexia wrote: »
    So I am sure not one to judge people at all but during my short time period on this game I have definitely ran into quit a few people who talk crap on low levels they play with and I just don’t understand why they do so, if you have such a problem with people why stay in a group with them and not just leave? Yes this is probably a stupid post but for such a beautiful game why do people still have to hate, I may never understand.

It's all true. My ignore list is maxxed out.
    forever stuck in combat
  • Juju_beans
    Juju_beans
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh, don't give me that. If a group gets stuck because they're oblivious to the mechanics or if I'm in a group with a tank that has no taunt (and I have some great stories about stupid tanks), or any other stupidity, I'll call them out on it whether they like it or not.

Well calling them out is not the same as giving advice now is it ?

Poster said they were trying to be helpful. Being helpful works better if advice was asked for.

• Violynne
    Violynne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most of the advice given to me is unsolicited, and I prefer it this way. I don't take things personally, so if someone says, "You need work on your rotation", I'm not going to say, "Go to hell." I'm going to say, "Thanks. Pointers?"

So many people today take things so personally when others are trying to offer assistance. I fully understand not everyone delivers the advice in a manner that doesn't come off as condescending, but remove the emotions from the equation and focus on the words, perhaps this will help.

Just unsolicited advice. ;)

• Loves_guars
    Loves_guars
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Internet anonymity turns some people into jerks since they cannot be held accountable for their actions.

I've heard an unbelievable excuse too from an ex-friend: "since this is a game, I can be a jerk because is not real life". This is the world we are living in :|
  • vamp_emily
    vamp_emily
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I think I have multiple personality disorder.

In PvE I am kind, caring, and friendly to most players. In PvP I am rude. I like to kill players and then message them something like, "LOL".

If you want a friend, get a dog.
    AW Rank: Grand Warlord 1 ( level 49)

• Casul
    Casul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    50/50

Depends, I personally hate running something like Vet CoS with people who are just not familiar with the game mechanics. At least start with normal.

But also you will find groups of people more then willing to work with low levels, I for one ran some CP 200s through Vet WGT last night and we only got stuck on a few spots. But main point is everyone tried their best and was contributing to some extent. None of that "I am spamming X move and heavy attacking 7 times once I run out of resources" stuff.
    PvP needs more love.
  • Sheezabeast
    Sheezabeast
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In a basic pledge dungeon, low level players are fine usually, but when they straight up don't have the experience with the mechanics and then get uppity when it gets pointed out, it starts to circle the drain...you can only wipe so many times without changing anything before some action needs taken, whether its someone explaining that you can't stand in red, light attacking, and not ressing people, or a tank who does nothing to manage mobs, or any other example of a group that just can't mathematically pull the dps needed.

I've had some great experiences with low level people doing pledges, but I've seen the same behavior from people with 500+ CP. It really is situational.
    Grand Master Crafter, Beta baby who grew with the game. PC/NA. @Sheezabeast if you have crafting needs!
  • Rain_Greyraven
    Rain_Greyraven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Katahdin wrote: »

I'm not sure I agree with that.

lets look at ESO FFXIV and Guild Wars 2.

In GW2 and FFXIV there is a real danger of getting your account deleted if you act like a Dungnozzle in game or on the forums not temporarily suspended, but permanently deleted in a very public humiliating and unforgiving way. The result from all extensible purposes is a very well mannered community, because of actual consequences.

In ESO there are no real consequences for anything, sure you might get a forum ban but forums are not attached to your game account and five bucks for a new key gets you back spewing hate.

Forum users can call for the shaming of players who support the business model, call them vile names and they will more than likely get rewarded with the title of community ambassador. groups of players can follow you around and whisper death threats to you for riding a Apex mount...and not a solitary thing will be done about it.

There are consequences to this to.....and the consequence is a community that looks more like League of legends than a mmo community.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.”

― Robert E. Howard

So you want to be a game developer? Here is the best way to go about it.
  • KRBMMO
    KRBMMO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Katahdin wrote: »

In my experience people generally aren't rude to people to their faces IRL. Anonymity plus the physical safety of being hundreds of miles away gives them courage to say what they are too timid and weak to say face to face.

In general when I see people trolling zone chat I just think "what a sorry, sad human being".
  • Yinmaigao
    Yinmaigao
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This. Nothing to do with level. Everything to do with poor performance and expecting a carry.
  • Aelakhaii_De_Mythos
    Aelakhaii_De_Mythos
    ✭✭✭✭
    People can deny it all they want but most human beings are actually genuinely disgusting.

They are rude on the net because they can get away with it.
This discussion has been closed.