The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

PVP for an idiot (me)

Fallenlords
Fallenlords
✭✭
So my DPS / Healer Templar (mistake) appears is rubbish in PVP. Not helped by the idiot controlling him (that would be me), who doesn't understand what the hell is going on. There was a gate, we ran around a lot, we ran after people, they chased us back. We ran around ramparts a lot. People were buffing me with all sorts of things. I got some Alliance Points... Died a lot. People hitting me for 6k damage...I somehow joined some sort of War and seem to be stuck there now forever ...

Anyway a few questions,
  • Can somebody recommend a good starting guide for PVP in ESO? Needs to be real basic, 'for idiots ...' sort of thing.
  • Is it even worth PVP'ing with a PVE type of character? (About to roll a new character so I could make them more PVP focussed).
  • Armour, why doesn't Heavy Armour trump everything? I maxed out Heavy Armour (Templar/Sword+Board), didn't mix/match Armour strengths. And guides I have seen so far say I should use Medium Armour in PVP. What? I don't understand.
  • I got some quests while roaming around Cyrodiil. Kill Grey Wolf Bandits or something. No quest markers, guide. Are they pointing me to a left handed screwdriver or are they around somewhere?
  • How do I get out of Cyrodiil? :(

*disclaimer - I don't always read what the NPC's are telling me (even though I should) and think I visited Cyrodiil ages ago and forgot what they told me, or didn't read it at the time. Either way forgotten everything.

• Hippie4927
    Hippie4927
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I can't help you with anything else, but I can tell you how to get out of Cyrodiil, Travel to one of your factions keeps and take the transitus shrine back to your base camp. From there you can take the wayshrine back home. Or just logout and quit the game in Cyrodiil and when you log back in, you will be back where you were before entering Cyrodiil.
    PC/NA/EP ✌️
  • Fallenlords
    Fallenlords
    ✭✭
    Hippie4927 wrote: »
    I can't help you with anything else, but I can tell you how to get out of Cyrodiil, Travel to one of your factions keeps and take the transitus shrine back to your base camp. From there you can take the wayshrine back home. Or just logout and quit the game in Cyrodiil and when you log back in, you will be back where you were before entering Cyrodiil.

Yeah I found a Wayshrine at what I thought was the base camp, but it wouldn't let me go anywhere???? Odd, but I logged out last night. So I should be back, thanks.
  • Hippie4927
    Hippie4927
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hippie4927 wrote: »

Yeah I found a Wayshrine at what I thought was the base camp, but it wouldn't let me go anywhere???? Odd, but I logged out last night. So I should be back, thanks.

There are two different kinds of 'shrines' in Cyrodiil. The transitus shrines only let you travel within Cyrodiil. The regular wayshrine (at your factions base camp) takes you back wherever out of Cyrodiil that you want to go.
    PC/NA/EP ✌️
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The best guide I know is by Joy_Division for the PVP Midyear Mayhem event. It has a lot,of great stuff for a beginner: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/360956/joy-s-advice-for-midyear-mayhem-event/p1
  • Fallenlords
    Fallenlords
    ✭✭
    The best guide I know is by Joy_Division for the PVP Midyear Mayhem event. It has a lot,of great stuff for a beginner: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/360956/joy-s-advice-for-midyear-mayhem-event/p1

Thanks
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even more basic starter guide: http://esoacademy.com/eso-pvp-and-cyrodiil-guide/

To answer some of your questions and offer tips:

- it takes a while to learn PvP. You might want to group up. Running with a good group...especially one using mics...can teach you a lot. To find a group, once in Cyrodiil put out a some chat: /z LFG. Feel free to also state you’re a PvP noob.

- any character can PvP. If you have a main and are comfortable with him in PvE, that’s a good character to start with. There’s a big learning curve to PvP, and it takes time. If you decide you love PvP, then sure, you might develop a preference for another class or play style and make a PvP toon. My friend plays stamblade in PvE, but prefers magblade in PvP. But some players stick to one for both...it’s really up to you.

- regarding armor, you might be looking at outdated guides. Give yourself a little time to learn PvP before worrying about PvP-specific gear, but as a general rule light armor helps magic based abilities, medium helps stamina, and heavy tanks you up. I’m not sure what your build is going for precisely...as a healer / dps you’d usually lean magic character and wear a mix of heavy and light. It sounds like maybe you’re a new player who has a lot of the basic to learn...in which case you can wear heavy in PvP while you figure out your character.

- there are a ton of quests in Cyrodiil. They are almost all short, mindless quests to do when there’s no action. There’s no big storyline or particularly impressive rewards. They should all produce quest markers, though. Look in your journal quest log under “Cyrodiil”. In some cases you might need to fix your map to display objectives. Go into the map, scroll over (r2 on consoles) and turn on objectives...resources...battles. Pretty much you can turn everything on. If you want to quest in Cyrodiil, the best places are the five towns located throughout. The other random quests you pick up can send you a loooooooooooong way for little reward. There are also twelve dolmens and like 50 sky shards in Cyrodiil.

And feel free to ask any questions you come up with in the forums. I suggest staying in this section...players helping players. There are some PvP sections, but the talk there is a bit technical.

Welcome to Alliance War. You ran around in circles for a while having no idea what was happening and feeling totally confused. I hereby declare you a seasoned veteran of PvP.

• Fallenlords
    Fallenlords
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the help guys.

Cryodiil I worked out why I couldn't get back. I was trying to transport via the Wayshrine to my player housing, which doesn't work. Once I picked a different Wayshrine other than my player housing it worked fine.
  • Fallenlords
    Fallenlords
    ✭✭
    davey1107 wrote: »
    Welcome to Alliance War. You ran around in circles for a while having no idea what was happening and feeling totally confused. I hereby declare you a seasoned veteran of PvP.