The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

How did "tea bagging" a character get started and why do people think it's funny?

• xDekar
    xDekar
    T-Bagging started 5 years before EQ, it came around during Counter-Strike development in 1999. I can't prove this theory but I'm pretty sure it happened when a bad player who got killed by a good player for several rounds and finally kills the good player he started to celebrate by ironically boasting his greatness by t-bagging the guy for a good laugh. It then became popular.
  • Aisle9
    Aisle9
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    319185.jpg
    Artemis Absinthe - DC magicka nightblade (PC - EU)
    Gruzosh Barrelsmasher - DC stamina sorcerer (PC - EU)
    Kew'bacca - AD stamina nightblade (PC - EU)
    Jebediah Orbrynn - DC magicka templar (PC - EU)
    Hold-Many-Bags - Mule DK, Promoted to main tank, occasionally stamDD
    Olaf Proudstache - Mule - No longer with us Now a Stamwarden healer
    Aglieglie Brazorf - AD magicka sorcerer (PC - EU)
    Rodolfo Lavandino - DC stamina, greatsword wielding, Jesus beam spamming, Redguard hybrid templar just a stamplar again (PC - EU)
    Lemmy Raise Master - EP stamina necromancer (PC - EU)

Scions of Dawn recruitment ad - PC EU multifaction PvE endgame raiding guild

LUI user - I can see you when you fap loot.

#SpellswordArmy
    #MakeSpellswordsGreatAgain

In the Game of PuGs you win or you ragequit

"Dip dip potato chip, dip dip potato chip"
  • Medakon
    Medakon
    ✭✭✭
    I tell you why teabagging is "funny", and why I do it to others.

Sometimes I run around in cyrodill with a party of 20 randoms casuals. And sometimes we end up meeting 3-4 players who use discord, "elitists", and try to hunt these zergs to farm kills because they are easy to kill when they use dirty builds, or tactics etc.

However, when these farmers start losing, they retreat or try split zerg to even numbers. But if you mange to stun these players, and kill them. Thats where the fun begin. As these players are "elitists" they get angry very quickly, and the best method to trigger their anger is to kill them with a zerg, and start teabagging.

Now the good part, these people just put a mark of death on your head, stop what they were doing, and begins to hunt you until they get their revenge. They will also try contact you by whispers, whice grants you the ability to say something that makes them even more angry. They might even contact friends to try assist them in finding, and killing you.

So what are the results? Your now enemy priority target, and you gona get hell of PvP match the next couple of hours with a bounty on your head. Try to survive, keep teabagging, and enjoy! :smiley:
    Medakon - Legendary Super Hero Professional Assassin Nightblade from Tamriel who do different stuff B)
  • Bhaal5
    Bhaal5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone using the broken skill snipe and spam it, youll be a target and bagged until our thumbs are sore
  • Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don’t read too much into it. There are those who call it “sexual harassment” and get really upset when it happens to them, but really, teabagging is little more than an (admittedly immature) way to express dominance. People do it ironically as well. My first clear of vet Scalecaller Peak was with a PuG. It took us about 45 very frustrating minutes to defeat Zaan. We teabagged the HECK out of her when we finally defeated her. Funniest thing about it? Only the tank was a dude — the rest of us were ladies and technically had no, er, bags with which to tea. :D The only time I ever teabag in Cyrodiil is when a bomber tries to bomb and fails spectacularly. If people do it to me, I really don’t care. I used to care, and then I got a bit older and realized that getting upset over a taunt in an online video game is the very definition of a first world problem.
    Edited by Aurielle on April 21, 2018 10:58AM
  • Jade1986
    Jade1986
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    First time I saw it was in Halo Combat Evolved.
  • ilikepickles
    ilikepickles
    ✭✭✭
    It's been around since visibly crouching player models have been a part of multiplayer games.

Was funny when I was 6. Still funny almost 3 decades later.
  • Aebaradath
    Aebaradath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's with the sudden influx of t-bag threads here? It has been in games for a long, long time.

It's just a taunt, nothing more.
  • srfrogg23
    srfrogg23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I think it got started in Halo? Not sure, but you could crouch and people would do it in PvP as a way of mocking you for dying.
  • CelestialSlayer
    CelestialSlayer
    ✭✭✭
    Sometimes when people get killed they don't respawn. So my theory is that they are either trying to spy or hoping to be revived. So sometimes I have been known to tea bag them. I'm not proud. I'm a grown man with a family but eso made me teabag. Did I see someone else do it if did it happen by itself. I don't know and is one of the greatest mysteries man has yet to answer.
  • TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No problem let the forum be full of threads that bait and stir up controversy between players.
  • DieAlteHexe
    DieAlteHexe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No problem let the forum be full of threads that bait and stir up controversy between players.

Some traditions are held dear, I guess.

Dirty, filthy casual aka Nancy, the Wallet Warrior Carebear Potato Whale Snowflake
  • Datthaw
    Datthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tbagging is funny and everyone has done it. Get off your high horses.

Things I tbag:
    -Dungeon bosses
    -My friends when I see them dead in cyro (I rez after obv)
    -The resource worker who wants to be a hero
    -And one particularly salty EP snipe spspammer I like to hunt
  • DieAlteHexe
    DieAlteHexe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Datthaw wrote: »

Things I tbag:
    -Dungeon bosses

Nope. In the nearly 20 years I've been MMOing, I have never, ever t-bagged anyone, so POOOF there goes your assertion.

In fact, I don't know anyone who has. The PvP folks I've known over the years usually /bow or /salute.

Dirty, filthy casual aka Nancy, the Wallet Warrior Carebear Potato Whale Snowflake
  • Fivefivesix
    Fivefivesix
    ✭✭✭
    lol seriously whats up with these tea bagging threads?
    United we stand, divided we fall.
  • Datthaw
    Datthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Things I tbag:
    -Dungeon bosses

Nope. In the nearly 20 years I've been MMOing, I have never, ever t-bagged anyone, so POOOF there goes your assertion.

In fact, I don't know anyone who has. The PvP folks I've known over the years usually /bow or /salute.

Idk, I just have trouble believing you have never tagged anything. I mean you read my list half of them are npcs. Only really one actual player I tbag to insult. But he's a total ***, sends tons of salt tells.
  • DieAlteHexe
    DieAlteHexe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Things I tbag:
    -Dungeon bosses

Idk, I just have trouble believing you have never tagged anything. I mean you read my list half of them are npcs. Only really one actual player I tbag to insult. But he's a total ***, sends tons of salt tells.

Well, you can take my word for it or not but I promise you, I never have nor will I ever. It's just not my style. :)

• Serjustin19
    Serjustin19
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't endorse teabags with other people (races) I don't teabag others, save for alessia bridge one time; long ago. I will attack others if they my enemy in Cyrodiil (other side) I mostly PvP as well. When others do it and laugh. Whose really the laughing stalk? Since I really love teabag on me anyways. Due to me not being bothered.

That I'm (plural for 2 and hope meant no offense) I purposely stay getting teabag for 15 minutes, till timer runs out. Then I'll post on YouTube, then right the "offender" of how much I really loved the teabags on me. That I laughed the whole time I was being teabag. Especially when they acting a fool. Laughing at me lol. Then I write to them, teabags don't bother me and please continue, that I enjoy them. But sad part and for some reason. Teabags stop on me sigh, lol :blush:
    Edited by Serjustin19 on April 21, 2018 1:53PM
    Formerly Serjustin19, Save for Forum Of Course.... Fiery_Darkness (PC NA) currently.
  • JobooAGS
    JobooAGS
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always thought it started in halo, and really took off in halo 3
  • IndianaGeoff
    IndianaGeoff
    ✭✭✭
    I would be shocked to be in any game where it did not happen. It is rude, but universal in gaming where you kill other people.

Personally, I find the /shovel to be far better in all situations. Bury your kills.
    Edited by IndianaGeoff on April 21, 2018 2:07PM
  • DieAlteHexe
    DieAlteHexe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I would be shocked to be in any game where it did not happen. It is rude, but universal in gaming where you kill other people.

Personally, I find the /shovel to be far better in all situations. Bury your kills.

Me too, or the broom. I actually find both of them amusing. Had a guy /cry over my corpse, then /shovel and finally /sweep up. It was great!

• Heka Cain
    Heka Cain
    ✭✭✭
    If people wish to be seen engaging in acts of homosexual necrophili@, then so be it!
    Edited by Heka Cain on April 21, 2018 2:16PM
  • VyersReaver
    VyersReaver
    ✭✭
    People don't think it's funny. I, for one, do it to tilt my opponents. Tilted opponents = worse playing opponents.
  • Samadhi
    Samadhi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    DoctorESO wrote: »
    How did "tea bagging" a character get started and why do people think it's funny? It seems very, very peculiar to me.

Poor sportsmanship is as old as sports
    If anything, poor sportsmanship is psychological 'leftovers' from the competitive engagement between individuals
    poor sportsmanship would be where an individual wants to express competitive sentiments beyond the measures of the game

where "tea bagging" came in was prolly whichever game first allowed players to crouch in a competitive setting

as for why some people think it is funny
    some people think jokes about sexual assault are funny
    comedy is pretty subjective, and it is often easier to laugh at the expense of others than ourselves
    "If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." -- the 14th Dalai Lama
    Wisdom is doing Now that which benefits you later.
  • klowdy1
    klowdy1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So many raw nerves in this thread. If you don't want to get teabagged, I would suggest not getting killed. Seriously, this, of all things wrong with this game, is what you want to focus on? This is where resources should go? Not fixing bugs, or stopping bots, but this? Your world is very different from the one I live on. Mine is called earth, where do you come from?
  • DieAlteHexe
    DieAlteHexe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    klowdy1 wrote: »
    So many raw nerves in this thread. If you don't want to get teabagged, I would suggest not getting killed. Seriously, this, of all things wrong with this game, is what you want to focus on? This is where resources should go? Not fixing bugs, or stopping bots, but this? Your world is very different from the one I live on. Mine is called earth, where do you come from?

Women are from Venus and men are from Mars...so I guess, Venus. :)

Dunno 'bout anyone else but I'm capable of having concerns over more than one issue.

• JamieAubrey
    JamieAubrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    12 year old kids
  • Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seems like an outgrowth of all the awful things that 'jock' type bullies would pull on the 'wimpy' kids in the locker room - many of which would, these days, be considered sexual assault. But yeah, same kind of muscle-head/fratbro/bully garbage that shows up in sports & fraternity hazing.

Why they think it's funny? Because they're immature manchildren who think that same kind of thing is amusing in real life? (Or because they're the ones getting bullied IRL, and online games is a way for them to get back for it?)

• Grendel_at_ESO
    Grendel_at_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I've seen it as long as I've played graphics based games that allowed sitting or squatting.
  • Minalan
    Minalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    * It’s a general sign of disrespect.

* It’s a thing in PVP, and it makes some people really really mad. If it didn’t make anyone really really mad, nobody would do it.

* Sometimes it’s the only way to get someone to release and respawn rather than wait for their hidden nightblade buddy to res them again for the umpteenth time.

This discussion has been closed.