The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

How did "tea bagging" a character get started and why do people think it's funny?

DoctorESO
DoctorESO
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
How did "tea bagging" a character get started and why do people think it's funny? It seems very, very peculiar to me.

Why is teabagging "funnier" than /shovel or /sweep? If it's the player's reactions, then why is the reaction so much more severe for "teabagging" than /shovel or /sweep? What is it about teabagging that causes the funniness or the severe reaction?

If it's about expressing dominance, why is teabagging the go-to method of expressing dominance? Why not some other obnoxious maneuver, like /shovel or /sweep? Is the sexual nature of it part of the "dominance" concept (as with nonconsensual sex, which is viewed primarily as a dominance-asserting maneuver)?

Edited by DoctorESO on April 21, 2018 6:31PM
  • cyclonus11
    cyclonus11
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    People were doing that back in the original EQ. It's old af.
  • Cpt_Teemo
    Cpt_Teemo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    They were even doing it when UO launched as well 2 years before EQ
  • Karmanorway
    Karmanorway
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well personally i think Tbagging is stupid, the only ones doing it is either elitist or noobs imo, But hey , everyone needs a way to show how proud they are that they could 20vs1 with 10 left alive to tell the tale :p
    Edited by Karmanorway on April 21, 2018 4:58AM
  • DoctorESO
    DoctorESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    cyclonus11 wrote: »

But why was it started to begin with? Why is it funny to begin with?

If someone wants to be arrogant, why not do something else like jumping up and down on a dead body? Why does it have to be teabagging?
    Edited by DoctorESO on April 21, 2018 4:59AM
  • DirkRavenclaw
    DirkRavenclaw
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well, a Khajiit doing /danceredguard is funny as hell lol
    Council Member of AtWritsEnd, Member of LoneWolfeHelp, Donor of GhostSeaTradingCO., Factor of EastEmpireTradingCO.,HonourGuard of ´DominionImperialGuard(DIG/PVP)

Master Crafter including Jewelry, i craft for Mats and Donation, always happy to help, if Im not in the Middle of PVP, i play since around 14 Months
  • Yzalirk
    Yzalirk
    ✭✭✭✭
    It all started long ago when ancient man asserted dominance over other tribes.
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DoctorESO wrote: »

If someone wants to be arrogant, why not do something else like jumping up and down on a dead body? Why does it have to be teabagging?

It's as old as time itself, not just humans do it but so do animals. You never seen a male dog hump another male dog? They're not doing it because they want to get it on, its a dominance thing to show the one they're humping they mean to degrade and are more superior.
  • DoctorESO
    DoctorESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

It's as old as time itself, not just humans do it but so do animals. You never seen a male dog hump another male dog? They're not doing it because they want to get it on, its a dominance thing to show the one they're humping they mean to degrade and are more superior.

Is that the same thing as "teabagging"?
  • temjiu
    temjiu
    ✭✭✭✭
    well, according to Wikipedia, it started in the early 90's in counterstrike. Can't say if that's factual or simply trivia that hasn't been verified or corrected yet. Either way, I gained it's popularity in competitive (PvP) play back then. I assume the "humor" has to do with the same kind of humor that teens enjoy when discussing or dealing with sexually sensitive material. For the same reason someone giggles when someone else says "b..b" or "b.t" or "insert sexual reference here". It's an immature reaction to body awareness that turns into a joke.

I suggest you look up the definition of teabag if you really want to know its cultural indications as I don't feel its proper to go over things like that in a game forum. best way to see it: It's an immature teenage prank based on dominance in a competitive sport.

Not everyone finds it funny btw. at some point people grow out of immature activities like that (hopefully), and they cease the behavior.
    Edited by temjiu on April 21, 2018 5:17AM
  • Sixty5
    Sixty5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Lord and Savior of the Association of Serious S***posters.

I play a character called "Gives Me Wood Elf" because I am a mature and sensible person.
    Stam Sorc main in Battlegrounds
  • DoctorESO
    DoctorESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    temjiu wrote: »
    well, according to Wikipedia, it started in the early 90's in counterstrike. Can't say if that's factual or simply trivia that hasn't been verified or corrected yet. Either way, I gained it's popularity in competitive (PvP) play back then. I assume the "humor" has to do with the same kind of humor that teens enjoy when discussing or dealing with sexually sensitive material. For the same reason someone giggles when someone else says "b..b" or "b.t" or "insert sexual reference here". It's an immature reaction to body awareness that turns into a joke.

I suggest you look up the definition of teabag if you really want to know its cultural indications as I don't feel its proper to go over things like that in a game forum. best way to see it: It's an immature teenage prank based on dominance in a competitive sport.

Not everyone finds it funny btw. at some point people grow out of immature activities like that (hopefully), and they cease the behavior.

A teen prank that grown adults do in ESO?
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The first time I seen it was in Halo and I thought someone's controller was broke an when I asked if they needed to swap it out everyone was laughing at me . Not sure which year that was .
  • Jarryzzt
    Jarryzzt
    ✭✭✭✭
    I thought it went back to Unreal-something-something days, or perhaps EQ, but if it was in Counterstrike then it was in Counterstrike.

To be sure, I have never actually encountered it in-game. Of course, that might be because I wasn't paying much attention. Or because a significant portion of my PVP experience is in, err, mediums where this sort of thing physically cannot occur (e.g. tanks, mechs, MUDs, aircraft, spaceships, navy ships, isometrics without crouch functionality...). Even still, I can't recall ever running into it in LOTRO or TOR, but again, perhaps it just didn't register at the time.

In any case, somehow it just isn't very meaningful to me. Taking a trophy I can understand, like a head or an ear or what have you. But this? Really? You suck so much IRL that this is how you assert yourself and raise your self-esteem? [Alternatively - this is what amuses you?] The "you" being metaphorical, of course.

• DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'd never heard of t-bagging before playing ESO, but I find the idea pretty funny. There is a zero percent chance I ever do it to another person. There is also a zero percent chance I care if someone does it to me. I'm not sure if I find it more hilarious that people rage about being tea-bagged or that people feel the need to do it to others.
  • DoctorESO
    DoctorESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    DaveMoeDee wrote: »
    I'd never heard of t-bagging before playing ESO, but I find the idea pretty funny. There is a zero percent chance I ever do it to another person. There is also a zero percent chance I care if someone does it to me. I'm not sure if I find it more hilarious that people rage about being tea-bagged or that people feel the need to do it to others.

Can you explain what makes it funny for you?
  • ktdotexe
    ktdotexe
    ✭✭✭
    Counter Strike. That's all I'm gonna say. :D
  • Algraxa
    Algraxa
    ✭✭✭
    PetiteFire wrote: »
    Counter Strike. That's all I'm gonna say. :D

^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^
  • PrayingSeraph
    PrayingSeraph
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't teabag myself(i dont pvp) but from those I know who do its usually to troll the person who was killed. As per why it started, I would guess it has to do with domination, in other words, dominating the other player metaphorically.

Important aspect about humour is that it is highly variable. I can certainly see the appeal and humour at getting someone worked up over being teabagged. You may not find it funny, but masses of people do. I remember back in Halo 3's golden era players always teabagged all the time. It was pretty much part of the multiplayer.
    Edited by PrayingSeraph on April 21, 2018 7:08AM
  • Mureel
    Mureel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I don't teabag myself(i dont pvp) but from those I know who do its usually to troll the person who was killed. As per why it started, I would guess it has to do with domination, in other words, dominating the other player metaphorically.

Important aspect about humour is that it is highly variable. I can certainly see the appeal and humour at getting someone worked up over being teabagged.

It's just funny cheese. No one rrealllllllllllly thinks they are doing a balldrag on your face lol.

I only tbag clamslam friends in raid in PVE
    Edited by Mureel on April 21, 2018 7:09AM
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's pixels moving.

The power people give it by being offended is hilarious.

It's not immatrure or elitist or sexual provocation, its now a thing in its own right. An ita funny, mainly due to the reaction. Now I don't mean upset care bears, I mean pros. The top players get RAGE in salt tsunami levels if you bag them and they better than you. It's hilarious

Long may it continue.
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • Mureel
    Mureel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    1r94i4.jpg
  • Minyassa
    Minyassa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pretty much just emulating behavior online that they would do in real life at parties to passed out friends and take pics. It started with drunk people being trashy.
  • DieAlteHexe
    DieAlteHexe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Testosterone poisoning? :)

Dirty, filthy casual aka Nancy, the Wallet Warrior Carebear Potato Whale Snowflake
  • AlienatedGoat
    AlienatedGoat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Your first mistake is thinking that people who tbag are "trying to be arrogant". Most people just do it to get a rise out of the other player.

They're aren't "trying to be arrogant". They're trying to be trolls.
    PC-NA Goat
  • Wrecking_Blow_Spam
    Wrecking_Blow_Spam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like others I first encountered it in Halo 3s golden age. Although it was around before.

I'll never forget the first time I heard the term:

Team slayer game,
    Was on voice chat with 2 random ppl,
    Both American, 1 male 1 female.

Female got the bag, and it was an uproar. The white Knight guy vowed to kill the offender. All game long they searched for them, I asked what big deal was and tbh their answer was something like it's bad to do especially to a girl LOL. They then ended up reporting the guy, the white Knight started msging him and I think invited him to xbox chat.

In the peak of halo 3, generally the best players didn't bag, it was usually average/noob players especially when they killed a good player. I find its usually similar on eso, only the bottom feeders bag on regular basis to try get a response eg guys gets zerged, then gets bagged by the zergling
    Xbox one EU
    8 Flawless conquerors on all class specs (4 stam, 4 magicka)
    Doesn't stand in red
  • Kalante
    Kalante
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    t bagging is basically the first taunt of online multiplayer games. There, you do not need to think too deep about it.
  • Bhaal5
    Bhaal5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Feels like there is already a thread on this topic? :/

Said it thereb will say it here. Re think what the t bag is.
    Its a sign of GG, (good game) so take back the bag. One bag at a time

Cupcakes are already a delicious dessert, we dont need any more styles of cupcakes here ;)
  • DieAlteHexe
    DieAlteHexe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Bhaal5 wrote: »
    Feels like there is already a thread on this topic? :/

Said it thereb will say it here. Re think what the t bag is.
    Its a sign of GG, (good game) so take back the bag. One bag at a time

Cupcakes are already a delicious dessert, we dont need any more styles of cupcakes here ;)

Pfffft! We all know the cake is a lie.

Dirty, filthy casual aka Nancy, the Wallet Warrior Carebear Potato Whale Snowflake
  • Sheezabeast
    Sheezabeast
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Me watching Tbaggers act like morons

9CP4XQg.gif
    Grand Master Crafter, Beta baby who grew with the game. PC/NA. @Sheezabeast if you have crafting needs!
  • Agobi
    Agobi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    People think it's funny?? Huh...weird o.O
    Edited by Agobi on April 21, 2018 9:57AM
This discussion has been closed.