The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Stamina Meta due to Reverse slice and Executioner

hesobad
hesobad
✭✭✭✭
It's very obvious BGs are completely dominated by reverse slice / executioner spamming stam classes. An execute ability that can be used at 50% health is crazy to me. Literally every stam class uses the same rotation: stampede (or other snare / cap closer), some debuff ability (surprise attack, sub assault, etc), dizzying swing, Dawnbreaker, Execute, Execute, Execute, Execute. How is this intended gameplay? I play stam NB and Stam Warden because the kind of things I can do are just unfair with very little counter play to it. I really hope they nerf this execute, I don't see why it has to be usable at 50% life. In no CP environments it is COMPLETELY broken. A magic class can not shield spam enough to survive once they hit 50% life with everyone and their grandmother is spamming executioner. Even if they could survive spamming shields, they will be out of magic and just die. When I read the patch notes I couldn't believe they weren't nerfing Executioner.
Edited by hesobad on April 18, 2018 3:28PM
Ad Victoriam!
  • Mihael
    Mihael
    ✭✭✭✭
    Executioner is not the reason why stam nb and warden are over performing, it’s more because on both classes you can get high sustain and lots of damage nb has incap which is over performing and warden has sub assault which can be combined with other skills to make a deadly combo, along with all the class passives and buffs that it has
    Edited by Mihael on April 18, 2018 4:51PM
  • del9
    del9
    ✭✭✭✭
    hesobad wrote: »
    It's very obvious BGs are completely dominated by reverse slice / executioner spamming stam classes. An execute ability that can be used at 50% health is crazy to me. Literally every stam class uses the same rotation: stampede (or other snare / cap closer), some debuff ability (surprise attack, sub assault, etc), dizzying swing, Dawnbreaker, Execute, Execute, Execute, Execute. How is this intended gameplay? I play stam NB and Stam Warden because the kind of things I can do are just unfair with very little counter play to it. I really hope they nerf this execute, I don't see why it has to be usable at 50% life. In no CP environments it is COMPLETELY broken. A magic class can not shield spam enough to survive once they hit 50% life with everyone and their grandmother is spamming executioner. Even if they could survive spamming shields, they will be out of magic and just die. When I read the patch notes I couldn't believe they weren't nerfing Executioner.

A reverse slice at 50% HP will do far less damage than a dizzy. Try spamming executioner on a competent magplar at 50% HP. He'll laugh at you.
    And Stam does well in BG because 1. mobility is king and 2. the maps don't favor range, which is most magic specs' standout advantage over stam.
    PCNA

• Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mihael wrote: »
    Executioner is not the reason why stam nb and warden are over performing, it’s more because on both classes you can get high sustain and lots of damage nb has incap which is over performing and warden has sub assault which can be combined with other skills to make a deadly combo, along with all the class passives and buffs that it has
    This is exactly correct.

PC NA - @dazkt - Dazk Ardoonkt / Sir Thogalot / Dask Dragoh’t / Dazk Dragoh’t / El Thogardo

Stream: twitch.tv/THOGARDvsThePeasants
    YouTube: http://youtube.com/c/thogardpvp

• Mihael
    Mihael
    ✭✭✭✭
    I personally have come to like the other game modes specially crazy king but the amount of people stacking 30k+ health because they are too scared to pvp is getting ridiculous which is probs why I’m gonna mostly play death
    match next patch
  • Karius_Imalthar
    Karius_Imalthar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stam builds in battlegrounds are face roll meta builds it seems. Gap close, knock down, execute, repeat over and over. The problem is the very resource they have most of is the very resource necessary to get out of any sort of stun or knock down so magicka users are s-o-l usually. I'm no saying it's all the time if you have a decent magicka player vs a mediocre stam build but it's much easier it seems for most stam builds to dominate. I also find that most stam build executes are instant cast and can be used over and over. Magicka has what, jesus beam which is slow and channeled, and Implosion which has a %15 threshold. Most stam executes kick in at 50%. Please see this list for reference.
  • Kel
    Kel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's true as a magicka build, if you get knocked down or stunned, it's over. No amount of shielding will save you.
    Add the fact that break free is spotty in battlegrounds, even with a full stamina bar, and you are in for a long match as a magicka user.
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is the meta also because inexperienced players cannot deal with it. Thus its fast and efficient against them.
  • TheYKcid
    TheYKcid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Casting Rev Slice at 50% target HP (where the excecute scaling hasn't even begun yet) will deal exactly 50% the tooltip value of a Surprise Attack, or 33.5% of a Dizzying.

I fail to see how that would be threatening in any way, let alone define the Stam meta...
    PC/NA — Daggerfall Covenant — BGs, Kaalgrontiid
    Kalazar ChalhoubRedguard Nord Stamplar
    Kalaron Caemor — Altmer Magsorc
    Kalahad Cirith — Dunmer Magden
  • Sugaroverdose
    Sugaroverdose
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would prefer to not see any executes @ battlegrounds
  • Maulkin
    Maulkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Let me tell you a story....

Base cost of CC break is 5400.
    Base cost of dodge roll is 3600.

That's 9k in total. Most magicka light armor builds have 11-14k Max Stamina in no-CP depending on amount of tri-glyps and type of food/drink they use.

You know what's amazing? Entrapping poisons.
    9Vs8s96.png

I root a light armor wearer and increase the cost of dodge roll and cc break for 6 seconds by 30%. They dodge out of the root and spend 4800 stam. I press Fear and they CC break at 30% extra cost (if they can), or ~7k stamina. They are now slowed to crap from Fear, they have spent near 12k stamina (which is usually their entire pool) and they still have 4-5 seconds of dodge-cost "green feet" debuff.

I'll make sure they are rooted again while CC immune and I know they need a pot to afford the next dodge. If they can't chug a pot and dodge they are dead. If they can, the next CC will be the last. They'll be cost-poisoned again before the next Incap hits. Then it's lights out.

/Story.

TL;DR; Lack of CPs which mitigate the high cost of dodge/CC break and buff the small pools of stamina for mag builds, combined with cost increase poisons and tons of snares... makes for an environment where Stam builds, particularly ones with snare immunity, shine. Executes have nothing to do with it. If anything, MagSorc has the best execute in BGs.

Edited by Maulkin on April 20, 2018 3:30PM
    EU | PC | AD
  • Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For real tho is there another 2h dizzy stamden on PC NA BGs?

I keep hearing about how OP it is - and I agree - but I haven’t seen another one in a long time, so I’m starting to assume the posts are about just me.
    PC NA - @dazkt - Dazk Ardoonkt / Sir Thogalot / Dask Dragoh’t / Dazk Dragoh’t / El Thogardo

• technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thogard wrote: »

I keep hearing about how OP it is - and I agree - but I haven’t seen another one in a long time, so I’m starting to assume the posts are about just me.

I have flirted with getting my stamden going with dizzying into shalks and DBOS. There are not a lot of them? Need to get it leveled before it’s found out
  • Mihael
    Mihael
    ✭✭✭✭
    technohic wrote: »

I have flirted with getting my stamden going with dizzying into shalks and DBOS. There are not a lot of them? Need to get it leveled before it’s found out

I will probs switch my magden to stam soon if pts doesn’t change lol
    Edited by Mihael on April 21, 2018 3:08AM
  • wheem_ESO
    wheem_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are multiple things that all combine together to make stamina setups generally superior to magicka ones in Battlegrounds:
    • Dodge roll is superior to shielding, and the more heat you're taking, the wider the gap becomes. If I don't have Inner Light or Northern Storm slotted on my Magicka Warden, my shield doesn't even reach 6k; any of you stamina players wanna trade in your ability to spam dodge roll for that, especially since the shield requires a global cooldown to cast?
    • As @Maulkin mentions above, most magicka builds aren't able to do too much breaking free and/or dodge rolling, and as soon as your stam is gone, so are your hit points. On-demand stuns, fears, or must-block abilities (like Dizzying Swing spam) will drain the pool quite quickly, even if one makes use of something like Shacklebreaker (which is in no way necessary for stamina builds). My Magblade is basically wearing leftover gear with no +stamina on it, and I believe I'm at something like 8.1k in Battlegrounds. With such a small pool, I can have a little over 60% stamina and be unable to break free (without any cost poisons involved, even).
    • Stamina builds, other than the obnoxious archers that lead off with 10k+ damage from stealth, are unaffected by Negate, reflects, and absorbs - things which are essentially hard counters to many magicka setups. I was in one game last night against two different premade teams, each with a Shimmering Shield spamming Stamina Warden and Wings spamming DK - that's literally half the enemy players that my Mag Sorc can't do anything meaningful to, but who can throw damage my way at will.
    • Stamina builds have very easy access to several different on-demand snares, snare removal tools, and spammable gap closers. In ESO, stamina builds are going to get in your face and, generally speaking, stay there for as long as they want to. And if they decide that they no longer want to be glued to you, a snare + some dodge roll spam is often enough to escape. At no time is this more frustratingly apparent than on my Magicka Warden; it's essentially impossible to escape from any stamina player that doesn't put their back right up against a ledge, but they can escape from that snare-less class at will (and no, a 30% snare with a high cost and 6 meter area of effect doesn't really count...nor does a 10 meter, 200 cost ultimate).

And before anyone points it out, yes I am aware that some magicka players are using a 2h weapon and Forward Momentum in order to get access to snare removal - something which shouldn't be necessary. Would stamina players just shrug and think it's OK if their ability to self-heal was locked behind back barring a Resto Staff?
    • As has been mentioned before, stamina setups typically have far better mobility. Sprinting around the map is a very real possibility for stamina builds, while it's often suicide for magicka ones. This reality, along with the aforementioned issues regarding Negate, reflects, absorbs, and dodge roll vs shields, makes stamina builds superior at objective-based gameplay (with some exception for dedicated healers, obviously), especially since carrying a relic continually diminishes the strength of shields, while - as far as I can tell - does nothing at all to nerf dodge rolling.

I don't remember any names off the top of my head, but yes I've seen multiple other 2h using Stamina Wardens out there.
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wheem_ESO wrote: »
    There are multiple things that all combine together to make stamina setups generally superior to magicka ones in Battlegrounds:
    • Dodge roll is superior to shielding, and the more heat you're taking, the wider the gap becomes. If I don't have Inner Light or Northern Storm slotted on my Magicka Warden, my shield doesn't even reach 6k; any of you stamina players wanna trade in your ability to spam dodge roll for that, especially since the shield requires a global cooldown to cast?
    • As @Maulkin mentions above, most magicka builds aren't able to do too much breaking free and/or dodge rolling, and as soon as your stam is gone, so are your hit points. On-demand stuns, fears, or must-block abilities (like Dizzying Swing spam) will drain the pool quite quickly, even if one makes use of something like Shacklebreaker (which is in no way necessary for stamina builds). My Magblade is basically wearing leftover gear with no +stamina on it, and I believe I'm at something like 8.1k in Battlegrounds. With such a small pool, I can have a little over 60% stamina and be unable to break free (without any cost poisons involved, even).
    • Stamina builds, other than the obnoxious archers that lead off with 10k+ damage from stealth, are unaffected by Negate, reflects, and absorbs - things which are essentially hard counters to many magicka setups. I was in one game last night against two different premade teams, each with a Shimmering Shield spamming Stamina Warden and Wings spamming DK - that's literally half the enemy players that my Mag Sorc can't do anything meaningful to, but who can throw damage my way at will.
    • Stamina builds have very easy access to several different on-demand snares, snare removal tools, and spammable gap closers. In ESO, stamina builds are going to get in your face and, generally speaking, stay there for as long as they want to. And if they decide that they no longer want to be glued to you, a snare + some dodge roll spam is often enough to escape. At no time is this more frustratingly apparent than on my Magicka Warden; it's essentially impossible to escape from any stamina player that doesn't put their back right up against a ledge, but they can escape from that snare-less class at will (and no, a 30% snare with a high cost and 6 meter area of effect doesn't really count...nor does a 10 meter, 200 cost ultimate).

And before anyone points it out, yes I am aware that some magicka players are using a 2h weapon and Forward Momentum in order to get access to snare removal - something which shouldn't be necessary. Would stamina players just shrug and think it's OK if their ability to self-heal was locked behind back barring a Resto Staff?
    • As has been mentioned before, stamina setups typically have far better mobility. Sprinting around the map is a very real possibility for stamina builds, while it's often suicide for magicka ones. This reality, along with the aforementioned issues regarding Negate, reflects, absorbs, and dodge roll vs shields, makes stamina builds superior at objective-based gameplay (with some exception for dedicated healers, obviously), especially since carrying a relic continually diminishes the strength of shields, while - as far as I can tell - does nothing at all to nerf dodge rolling.

I don't remember any names off the top of my head, but yes I've seen multiple other 2h using Stamina Wardens out there.

I pretty much agree with everything you’ve said. Even with that said, at least in open world; magicka characters are still strong outside of Warden and non heal Templars. At least I haven’t seen any great ones of those. Seen good ones; but generally think they’d be better as stamina
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depends on the platform, on console the most you’ll see from stam is stam nb the rest is distributed decently, at one point magic actually dominated bgs.
  • hesobad
    hesobad
    ✭✭✭✭
    jabrone77 wrote: »
    It's true as a magicka build, if you get knocked down or stunned, it's over. No amount of shielding will save you.
    Add the fact that break free is spotty in battlegrounds, even with a full stamina bar, and you are in for a long match as a magicka user.

Also I don't know if anyone has noticed this, but there is like a major delay when breaking free. It's probably a bug, but I get feared and instantly break free, well my character stands there still for about 3 to 4 seconds doing nothing but getting Executed on by a stam blade before the break free animation happens and I can move again. by that time I'm dead. I've come to the conclusion that ZOS hates magic classes and therefore just going to hop on that band wagon till it gets fixed
    Ad Victoriam!
  • The_Brosteen
    The_Brosteen
    ✭✭✭✭✭

They show up from time to time. But yea, its mostly you :wink:
  • Toc de Malsvi
    Toc de Malsvi
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Also I don't know if anyone has noticed this, but there is like a major delay when breaking free. It's probably a bug, but I get feared and instantly break free, well my character stands there still for about 3 to 4 seconds doing nothing but getting Executed on by a stam blade before the break free animation happens and I can move again. by that time I'm dead. I've come to the conclusion that ZOS hates magic classes and therefore just going to hop on that band wagon till it gets fixed

This has been an issue since dragon bones pts and I don't think it will get fixed.
    Legendary Archer of Valenwood
    Bosmer Dragon Knight Archer. XBox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Bosmer Nightblade Archer. Xbox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Bosmer Sorcerer Archer. Xbox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Bosmer Warden Archer. Xbox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Templar's are evil..
  • ShadowMonarch
    ShadowMonarch
    ✭✭✭✭

Happens after DK leap too.
  • Tigeracer
    Tigeracer
    ✭✭✭✭

Look for bentententen in game. He is a monster! Though your stupid premade squashed me multiple times the other night and you are a pretty tough opponent.

Also, what was up with your magsorc mate? He was awesome!
  • Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tigeracer wrote: »

Look for bentententen in game. He is a monster! Though your stupid premade squashed me multiple times the other night and you are a pretty tough opponent.

Also, what was up with your magsorc mate? He was awesome!

bententen is in my guild. he is not a dizzy swing stamden and never has been.

Not sure which mag sorc you're referring to :( probably either Inigo or beepee.
    Edited by Thogard on April 30, 2018 1:22AM

• Sixty5
    Sixty5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Few things.

Firstly, Reverse Slice and Executioner start scaling at 50% health, rather than dealing full execute damage from the get go like Killers Blade. You won't get the full bonus damage scaling unless you are using it vs a target with 1% HP, in which case they are already dead.

Secondly, Dizzying Swing is one of the most telegraphed abilities in the game. It's not a hard ask to block it, at which point you cut down on a lot of the damage of the combo.

Thirdly, what else can stam builds use? Unless you are a Nightblade or a Templar you don't have access to any bursty stam skills elsewhere, and if you are going with a 2 handed build, your only other options are a gap closer or a low damage + dot cleave ability.
    Lord and Savior of the Association of Serious S***posters.

I play a character called "Gives Me Wood Elf" because I am a mature and sensible person.
    Stam Sorc main in Battlegrounds
  • Shadowmaster
    Shadowmaster
    ✭✭✭✭

This is 1/6 of my deaths in Cyrodiil, fwiw.
  • Destyran
    Destyran
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mihael wrote: »

This is how raidiant destruction got nerfed. You can’t stop it.
  • Galalin
    Galalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I play with 2 regularly and both are great players in my eyes. I think the difference is a highly skilled stam wardens gets noticed very quickly by the kill numbers and the ones working on builds, casual and learning seem to just blend in. Just my observation.
  • Mihael
    Mihael
    ✭✭✭✭
    I actually haven’t seen any amazing stam wardens lately there have been a few decent ones but they are usually in a premade so idk how good they really are
  • SupremeRissole
    SupremeRissole
    ✭✭✭✭
    Executioner does nothing to a sword and board breath of life spamming permablocking templar. Reverse slice is easily avoidable in comparison to endless fury + implosion. Stam is not overperforming.