The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

When to PvP for Vigour?

Iziquiel
Iziquiel
✭✭
Hi, I'm leveling a Stamina Nightblade at present and from checking some of the available guides I know I need to get Vigour at some point.

When is it recommended to start pvping for this?

Is it worth starting while I'm leveling, or wait until I hit 50 and until then manage with some of the DW and Nightblade skills that heal?

Also am I able to PvP without the Imperial City DLC? I'm not a subscriber as due to work and travel I can't always commit that much time to the game (normally I play solo)

Best Answers

• Narvuntien
    Narvuntien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I suggest you jump in straight away provided you have the time.

You'll have low expectations and you wont have picked up bad PVE habits yet. Too many PVEers jump into PVP and for some reason think they aren't supposed to die, in completely unfair ways. PVP is completely unfair..
    Edited by Narvuntien on April 18, 2018 11:27AM
    Answer ✓
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do it in low level battlegrounds. It is far more enjoyable and easier done than at level 50. And through battlegrounds you will get it a lot of faster than through AvA in Cyrodiil.
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
    Answer ✓
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'd absolutely wait for midyear mayhem if your motivation is just to get the skill lines leveled rather than actually PvP. Unless you *need* them right now, the 2x multiplier is great and the action during last year's mayhem was constant and frantic. Great AP even for the zergs.
    Thrice Empress, Forever Scrub
    Answer ✓
  • crobarXIII
    crobarXIII
    ✭✭✭
    Took me about 3 hours to get caltrops in battlegrounds, even less for vigor.
    PS4-NA-1000+cp
    Nightblade-Redguard-Stamina Dps : Nightblade-Argonian-Tank : Dragonknight-Imperial-Tank : Dragonknight-Darkelf-Magicka Dps
    Sorcerer-Khajiit-Stamina Dps : Sorcerer-Highelf-Magicka Dps : Templar-Redguard-Stamina Dps : Templar-Highelf-Magicka Dps
    Warden-Imperial-Tank : Warden-Highelf-Magicka Dps
    Answer ✓
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I recommend getting Vigor while leveling in the under 50 campaign.
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

Answer ✓
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seraphayel wrote: »
    Do it in low level battlegrounds. It is far more enjoyable and easier done than at level 50. And through battlegrounds you will get it a lot of faster than through AvA in Cyrodiil.

^This. I wouldnt even waste my time with mount simulator online(Cyrodiil). Queue battlegrounds, get in, rack up the AP even if you lose, and get out. None of that campaign nonsense. Also, you could just read books. Seriously. I got like 4 levels in assault just by reading books( just "use" bookshelves). You get all kinds of levels that way. I probably got 10% or 15% of all my skill line levels that way. In fact that skill was available to me before i even set foot in PVP.

Pretty sure you can't level Assault and Support by reading books.

That is where you would be wrong. "Crack a book, john". I had vigor before i even stepped foot in a pvp setting. Also, bookshelves are dynamic not static, they change books every x amount of time( might be every day or every other day). So even if you were to use every bookshelf in tamriel, unless you could do it one cycle, you could still miss books. I still find books on occasion that grant skill levels, but i dont open near as many bookshelves as i use too.

I am playing since 2014 and I've never ever seen books giving me ranks for Assault or Support. And with my amount of time played it's incredibly unlikely that I wouldn't have seen it if books really would add to their ranks.

The thing is you don't even start before Assault / Support rank 3 (or was it 4?) anymore. Do one battleground and you're already rank 3.
    Edited by Seraphayel on April 18, 2018 2:04PM
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
    Answer ✓
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ugh. You didn’t get very helpful responses.

Yes, you should get vigor on your stamblade. Yes, you should do it ASAP. Yes, it will change their life.

Vigor is ONLY earned by AP. It takes about ~100,000 AP to level to support / assault 5. (Caltrops is also cool, and that takes 180,000). This isn’t as long a grind as it sounds...you can earn it in 1-3 good nights of PvP. I’ll help with some tips.

- BIRTHDAY BOXES. You’ve got a few days left to earn some easy gold crates!! There are five towns in Cyrodiil. Each has two quest givers who hand out ten quests DAILY. (They’re the same ten quests you can repeat every day). These quests take FIVE MINUTES and reward a birthday gold box until the event is over. You also get 300 AP per quest. Ok, it’s not a lot...but those reward boxes hand out hundreds of thousands of gold in freebies. Go earn some motifs while you can...save them until summer and you can resell them for a fortune. People are being jerks this year and murdering questers, so probably work in a town where your faction has a presence. But you can run all ten quests in an hour. That’s ten gold boxes, 6000ish gold, 3000 AP and tons of xp. Then move to the next town if you like. Trust me, the gold boxes are worth more than AP! (If you need to, roll some mule characters to hold your loot. But trust me that that stuff is valuable.)

Outside the birthday event

- I recommend a busy campaign. It can be the non-vet, but if your servers non-vet isn’t full you might want to go into the busier vet CP campaign. Keeps flip more often in there...you aren’t going to compete in 1v1 duels, you’re going to earn AP. Busier is better.

- once per hour, go into a delve and kill any delve boss (Cyrodiil delves all have multiple bosses). This gives you a 1 hour buff on your character sheet called Blessing of War. This increases your AP gains by 20%! Bam, we cut a fifth off your work. Don’t forget your sky shard!

- feel free to group up. Put out a zone chat “lfg”. If you find a decent group you can get your ap in a couple of hours.

- whether group or solo, most of your vigor ap can come from keep captures. On a busy night, your enemies will push into your territory and then your team will push them back. When your team is pushing, you want to follow them. Everyone on property gets a chunk of AP when it flips - 6,000 standard, or 7.2k under blessing of war.

- after taking a keep, your team will run to capture that keep’s three resources. Follow them...when they flip, everyone on property gets 1.5k or 1.9k AP. This means that recapturing a keep and then ringing the resources is worth ~13k AP. See how easy this is going to be? In a solid push your team will capture 5+ keeps in a couple of hours.

- defend keeps. Use your bow and smack attackers. You share the ap on any player deaths where you dealt damage.

- supplement your AP by buying wall and door repairs. You can get them for gold or AP. Easy repair under Blessing is worth about 60-80 AP. Every keep you own will easily have 2k+ AP In partially messed up walls. When it’s slow, go repair some.

- repeatable alliance war quests. At your home base there are bulletin boards that give five repeatable alliance war quests...scouting a specific keep, capturing a specific keep, etc. carry these while PvP-ing. Who knows, your team might go for the keep on your list and you’ll earn some extra AP. Scouting rewards 500 Ap, but the others reward 2-3k. These are repeatable quests, so you can do several of each type a night. If you like exploring Cyrodiil, maybe do a bunch of scouting quests just for fun.

General newbie tips

- your armor doesn’t decay in PvP, so don’t be afraid to die valiantly. It will decay in delves.

- need a ride? When you die you can port to any keep or outpost you own when they’re not under attack. BUT it has to be a PvP death, meaning human enemy players, resource npcs, keep npcs, etc. Not delve enemies. When you see that you control a keep way across the map, you can always get there by walking up to an enemy resource or keep and letting the guards slaughter you.

- Likewise, if you see an enemy player the universal code for “I’d like a ride” is to walk up to them and smack them in the face with a bash or light attack. They might murder you before that, but if they’re not being hostile that is polite eso for “you can have my AP if you kill me so I can port out.”

- you get an achievement if you swim across the river where the Aleissa Keep bridge sits.

Answer ✓
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Iziquiel wrote: »
    Cool, I've just got to lvl 15 so will jump back in tomorrow now I can use a bow and grab some of the siege/support gear to use.

What time on the PC/EU server is typically peak time? The evening I'm guessing

I play on NA and only dabbled on EU, but from what I've seen, usually evenings are the best times--just make sure to go in a bit earlier so you're not stuck with a queue timer.
    Answer ✓
  • Skander
    Skander
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Get in pvp. Get in a group roaming keeps.

In a day you have it

Imperial City is dead
    Edited by Skander on April 18, 2018 10:19AM
    I meme, but my memes are so truthful they hurt
    -Elder Nightblades Online
    Want competitive pvp while being outnumbered? Tough luck, the devs clearly said you have to die in those situations
  • Iziquiel
    Iziquiel
    ✭✭
    Ok, fairly quick then to get!

Should I start PvP asap or wait until 50?

Also will Vigour continue to level while I have it on my bars (as normal class skills) or do I need to keep pvping for it to level and get the morphs
    Edited by Iziquiel on April 18, 2018 10:45AM
  • Datthaw
    Datthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Give pvp a chance. Go play some in kyne and see how you like it. Its not for everyone but you might get in there and be like "this *** is awesome, dis mah new jam" that's what it was like for me
  • eco_TR
    eco_TR
    ✭✭✭
    as soon as you get to level 10 and go pvp. I mean asap.
    Do not stop just with vigor and get to level 6 and also open caltrops and barrier as well.
    U might need someday.
    In light, there is darkness.

PS4-EU / PC-EU
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you won't need it for a while yet, Midyear Mayhem is in June/July and will have double AP.
  • xbobx
    xbobx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    the biggest frustration is you spend 15 minutes running to a keep under attack only to get ganked when you are 30 seconds away only to have to run all the way back.
  • Anotherone773
    Anotherone773
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

^This. I wouldnt even waste my time with mount simulator online(Cyrodiil). Queue battlegrounds, get in, rack up the AP even if you lose, and get out. None of that campaign nonsense. Also, you could just read books. Seriously. I got like 4 levels in assault just by reading books( just "use" bookshelves). You get all kinds of levels that way. I probably got 10% or 15% of all my skill line levels that way. In fact that skill was available to me before i even set foot in PVP.
  • AverageJo3Gam3r
    AverageJo3Gam3r
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cyrodiil is painful with a slow horse. Wait until you get at least 30 horse speed. With the AP changes, battlegrounds are a quick path to getting vigor. Should take 6-7 BGs.

Pro tip: equip as much armor with the impenetrable trait as you can.
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • Anotherone773
    Anotherone773
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

That is where you would be wrong. "Crack a book, john". I had vigor before i even stepped foot in a pvp setting. Also, bookshelves are dynamic not static, they change books every x amount of time( might be every day or every other day). So even if you were to use every bookshelf in tamriel, unless you could do it one cycle, you could still miss books. I still find books on occasion that grant skill levels, but i dont open near as many bookshelves as i use too.
  • raj72616a
    raj72616a
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    any time is good. teamwork is more important than personal skill (read: zerg is the way to go).

use a healing staff to spam rapid regeneration even tho you are stam blade. that will level your pvp skill lines faster.
  • Chrlynsch
    Chrlynsch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Pimp out your little guy with top upgraded crafted gear, get an ap buff and do battlegrounds.

Should take a couple hours if your good a few of your bad.
    Caius
    Pack Leader of Scourge Alliance- First Fang of Hircine, The Beast of Bruma
    PC NA
  • Iziquiel
    Iziquiel
    ✭✭
    Awesome, thanks for all the responses, some great information!

I will jump in asap then and give it a go!
  • SinisterG
    SinisterG
    ✭✭

Do you need to go to cyrodill first to open up the skill line or something? I have read countless books and have never gotten an assault lvl book. Also, about how much real time would it take in PVP to reach the lvl requirement for vigor?
    -Ruin -
    It bleeds all life away

I will show you all that I have mastered
    Fear.
    Pain.
    Hatred.
    Power.

This is the art of ruin
  • Anotherone773
    Anotherone773
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    SinisterG wrote: »

Do you need to go to cyrodill first to open up the skill line or something? I have read countless books and have never gotten an assault lvl book. Also, about how much real time would it take in PVP to reach the lvl requirement for vigor?

No you dont need a skill line opened to gain the skills from books. It will open it for you if you dont have the skill line.

You need rank 5 for vigor which is 48k AP.

Worst case scenario you would need to do 7 battlegrounds and lose all 7. BGs have a max of 15 minutes. At max 3 hours including queue times. Realistically, about 90-120 minutes including queue time.
  • Colecovision
    Colecovision
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Worst case scenario you would need to do 7 battlegrounds and lose all 7. BGs have a max of 15 minutes. At max 3 hours including queue times. Realistically, about 90-120 minutes including queue time.

How do I do that without screwing 3 other people that prepared to fight so they can try to win?

LFG - anyone else who hates pvp wanna hit battlegrounds to lose as fast as possible?

Do we go in naked with just our monster helmets?
  • Anotherone773
    Anotherone773
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

How do I do that without screwing 3 other people that prepared to fight so they can try to win?

LFG - anyone else who hates pvp wanna hit battlegrounds to lose as fast as possible?

If they want to win, they will make friends, form a premade and queue. Otherwise its a roll of the dice. Just join random. No one cares and the ones that do, arent worth caring if they care or not.Its not like dungeons where we do gear checks, rotation check, dps check, underwear check, etc. Get in and roll with it. Half of the people in BGs dont bother with objectives, they turn it into deathmatch. Just go for the objectives and do the best you can. At least you wont be like that guy that ignores objectives so he can stroke his epeen with his kills.
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If they want to win, they will make friends, form a premade and queue. Otherwise its a roll of the dice. Just join random. No one cares and the ones that do, arent worth caring if they care or not.Its not like dungeons where we do gear checks, rotation check, dps check, underwear check, etc. Get in and roll with it. Half of the people in BGs dont bother with objectives, they turn it into deathmatch. Just go for the objectives and do the best you can. At least you wont be like that guy that ignores objectives so he can stroke his epeen with his kills.

Plus, if you queue into battlegrounds below lvl 50, you will be in an under 50 queue and you won't have to face fully geared players.
  • HonestGabe
    HonestGabe
    ✭✭✭

You can't get lvls in assault or support from reading books... Strictly from BGs and/or Cyrodiil.
    Altaholic
    PC/NA
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SinisterG wrote: »

You don't get levels for Assault and Support by reading books. So don't mind. ;)

Doesn't matter if you first go to Cyrodiil and do the intro quests or if you just complete a first battleground, both will bring you directly to rank 3.
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • Tito86
    Tito86
    ✭✭✭
    davey1107 wrote: »
    - you get an achievement if you swim across the river where the Aleissa Keep bridge sits.
    ^This :D
    I used to be an adventurer like you. Then I took an arrow to the knee.
  • Iziquiel
    Iziquiel
    ✭✭
    davey1107 wrote: »
    Ugh. You didn’t get very helpful responses.

Yes, you should get vigor on your stamblade. Yes, you should do it ASAP. Yes, it will change their life.

Vigor is ONLY earned by AP. It takes about ~100,000 AP to level to support / assault 5. (Caltrops is also cool, and that takes 180,000). This isn’t as long a grind as it sounds...you can earn it in 1-3 good nights of PvP. I’ll help with some tips.

- BIRTHDAY BOXES. You’ve got a few days left to earn some easy gold crates!! There are five towns in Cyrodiil. Each has two quest givers who hand out ten quests DAILY. (They’re the same ten quests you can repeat every day). These quests take FIVE MINUTES and reward a birthday gold box until the event is over. You also get 300 AP per quest. Ok, it’s not a lot...but those reward boxes hand out hundreds of thousands of gold in freebies. Go earn some motifs while you can...save them until summer and you can resell them for a fortune. People are being jerks this year and murdering questers, so probably work in a town where your faction has a presence. But you can run all ten quests in an hour. That’s ten gold boxes, 6000ish gold, 3000 AP and tons of xp. Then move to the next town if you like. Trust me, the gold boxes are worth more than AP! (If you need to, roll some mule characters to hold your loot. But trust me that that stuff is valuable.)

Outside the birthday event

- I recommend a busy campaign. It can be the non-vet, but if your servers non-vet isn’t full you might want to go into the busier vet CP campaign. Keeps flip more often in there...you aren’t going to compete in 1v1 duels, you’re going to earn AP. Busier is better.

- once per hour, go into a delve and kill any delve boss (Cyrodiil delves all have multiple bosses). This gives you a 1 hour buff on your character sheet called Blessing of War. This increases your AP gains by 20%! Bam, we cut a fifth off your work. Don’t forget your sky shard!

- feel free to group up. Put out a zone chat “lfg”. If you find a decent group you can get your ap in a couple of hours.

- whether group or solo, most of your vigor ap can come from keep captures. On a busy night, your enemies will push into your territory and then your team will push them back. When your team is pushing, you want to follow them. Everyone on property gets a chunk of AP when it flips - 6,000 standard, or 7.2k under blessing of war.

- after taking a keep, your team will run to capture that keep’s three resources. Follow them...when they flip, everyone on property gets 1.5k or 1.9k AP. This means that recapturing a keep and then ringing the resources is worth ~13k AP. See how easy this is going to be? In a solid push your team will capture 5+ keeps in a couple of hours.

- defend keeps. Use your bow and smack attackers. You share the ap on any player deaths where you dealt damage.

- supplement your AP by buying wall and door repairs. You can get them for gold or AP. Easy repair under Blessing is worth about 60-80 AP. Every keep you own will easily have 2k+ AP In partially messed up walls. When it’s slow, go repair some.

- repeatable alliance war quests. At your home base there are bulletin boards that give five repeatable alliance war quests...scouting a specific keep, capturing a specific keep, etc. carry these while PvP-ing. Who knows, your team might go for the keep on your list and you’ll earn some extra AP. Scouting rewards 500 Ap, but the others reward 2-3k. These are repeatable quests, so you can do several of each type a night. If you like exploring Cyrodiil, maybe do a bunch of scouting quests just for fun.

General newbie tips

- your armor doesn’t decay in PvP, so don’t be afraid to die valiantly. It will decay in delves.

- need a ride? When you die you can port to any keep or outpost you own when they’re not under attack. BUT it has to be a PvP death, meaning human enemy players, resource npcs, keep npcs, etc. Not delve enemies. When you see that you control a keep way across the map, you can always get there by walking up to an enemy resource or keep and letting the guards slaughter you.

- Likewise, if you see an enemy player the universal code for “I’d like a ride” is to walk up to them and smack them in the face with a bash or light attack. They might murder you before that, but if they’re not being hostile that is polite eso for “you can have my AP if you kill me so I can port out.”

This is so helpful! I joined the under 50 campaign today and had no idea what I was doing, just randomly roaming around trying to get skyshards!
  • Violynne
    Violynne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Iziquiel wrote: »
    When is it recommended to start pvping for this?
    Level 10, when the campaign is open to players.
    Is it worth starting while I'm leveling, or wait until I hit 50 and until then manage with some of the DW and Nightblade skills that heal?
    The sooner, the better. There are only a few days left of the Anniversary Event, but the 100% exp will rank Vigor quickly. In fact, it's so quick, I hit two levels at the same time just playing the game.

It's now morphed and at level 4. :)
    Also am I able to PvP without the Imperial City DLC?
    You don't need any DLC for PvP.

But, since you're limited in time, it may take a bit longer to get the AP needed to unlock Assault 5, which trees Vigor.

Your best bet is to find a zerg and stick with it. They often run from keep to keep, and spam attacks to take them over. If you assist with the attack (buy PvP support items with AP, as you'll get enough just doing the tutorial) or defense (repair keep walls), you'll earn plenty of AP quickly.

Just a note: stick with the area for at least 2 minutes! AP is rewarded once the attack is complete, so make absolutely sure you get the AP prompt before you leave. Otherwise, you'll lose it.

I got Vigor in about 6 straight hours playing in the Vivec campaign. It took less than that to level up up before it was ready to morph.
    ;)