Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Would a new CPU benefit me greatly?

• neverwalk
    neverwalk
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wait for Multi-core with Summerset.
  • LeagueTroll
    LeagueTroll
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Smasherx74 wrote: »
    G4560 is a 2 core very basic cpu, the only thing good about it is ddr4. How to upgrade depends on if you change mother board.

Number of cores means *** in ESO and most games. A lot of people who have this misconception were born in the 70s or 80s and don't just havent kept up with the times.

A dual core could perform all the tasks on your computer and the game much better than an 8 core could. The true factor is CPU architecture, how good the per-core performance is. Having multiple cores, like 8 cores for example, is mostly only beneficial for people like Streamers, video editors, etc..

In general you want the best per-core performance. This guys CPU pick isn't that good, but it's a hell of a lot better than the FX chips so I'm assuming he'll still lag like *** in cyrodil but it might actually be playable.

That’s not my point. It is about multithread.
  • Panomania
    Panomania
    ✭✭✭✭
    The good news is your board will handle 6th or 7th gen Intel CPU, so all you'd need is a new CPU. Honestly even going to an I5 7400 would be a perf increase. It wouldnt be as fast or handle newer games as well as a new Ryzen 1400 in the same cost range ($150ish) but you wouldnt need a new board.

I've got a newer 7700K I7, and love it....but wife's ryzen 1600x is impressive. AMD really stepped things up. But if you wanted to go the Ryzen route you're going to spend some cash, since you'd need a board and CPU both.

Oh, and PLEASE dont consider a new graphics card right now. If you can make do with your 1050. GPU prices right now are sky high thanks mostly to Apple and Samsung, but also because of crypto coin miners....1060's are well over $300 when a year ago you could get em for $200. 1070's in many cases are well over $500 per, where before you could find them near 300. And Radeon vid cards are even worse, since their demand is higher from cyrptominers.
    Edited by Panomania on April 12, 2018 8:54PM
    The opinions of others should always be heard, especially if they dont agree with your own! But you always reserve the right to laugh at them.
  • temjiu
    temjiu
    ✭✭✭✭
    My Rig:
    Intel i5-4670 @3.5ghz
    16g RAM
    Nvidia 1060 6g GPU

I run on almost all high and only have an occasional issue in Large group settings. my FPS is ususally between 40 and 90 depending on the environment. I Don't PvP, so can't say about that.

I think I would first invest in CPU and extra RAM, it would help allot. i5 is a solid upgrade, but if you have the money, go i7.
  • Rickter
    Rickter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rickter wrote: »
    I currently run the following:

Intel i5 3770k 3.4 Ghz quad core processor in combination with a NVidia GTX 970 FTW Edition.

i'm going to tell you right now, my system suffers in cyrodiil, and all Trials. Outside of those two things, I generally get good performance fps wise.

A guildie of mine has an Intel i7 7770k 8 core and a NVidia GTX 1080 and he runs the game at 60fps (v-sync on mind you) while my game runs at 23fps in Cyrodiil.

i dont think its so much that 1080 as the 970 was the last card developed by nvidia for 1080p resolution (which is what i use) - i think its the processor. i have a 3rd gen ivy bridge, he has a 7th gen.

so yes, throw more CPU at it and it will run better.

3770k is i7....i7 7770k 8core that lol no such cpu on market mate and about 1080p...1050 Ti..1060 and 1070 is for 1080p...and even 1060 s....s in many games on 1080p on max settings...not mention 120hz or 144hz monitors

my bad i meant 3570k - additionally, the 10xx series were made to support higher res than 1080
    RickterESO
    PC | NA | DC
    YouTube
    Bloodletter | StamDK | Alliance Rank 46 | Former Emperor of Shor (2018) | Former Emperor of Thornblade #4terms (2015)
    PvE:
    vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMA | vDSA | vMoL | ALL Vet 4 Man Dungeons

• Firemantim
    Firemantim
    ✭✭
    I've heard (no clue if it's confirmed or just rumors) that update 18 (Summerset) will change the game to become more GPU reliant, hoping it's true as I'm holding off on upgrading my CPU.
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Firemantim wrote: »
    I've heard (no clue if it's confirmed or just rumors) that update 18 (Summerset) will change the game to become more GPU reliant, hoping it's true as I'm holding off on upgrading my CPU.

Not sure where you heard that. Wheeler announced the game is getting multicore CPU support with the next update.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/404357/cyrodiil-updates-for-update-18/p1
    Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
  • Zagnut123Zagnut123
    Zagnut123Zagnut123
    ✭✭✭✭
    You will definetley benefit from a new cpu for sure. This game game is heavily cpu reliant and from what it looks like your cpu is going to bottleneck u a bit
  • KyleTheYounger
    KyleTheYounger
    ✭✭✭
    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/74M3tg

I have 8gb ddr4 ram

That’s my current build and I feel like my CPU is severely lacking for MMOs lol. Can anyone recommend a better CPU?

Absolutely nothing is wrong with your system. Sounds like you have a crappy internet connection? You could have the top of the line gaming rig but game performance moves at a snail's pace because of your dial up connection.

I've got Comcast 50MBps and have never had any stutters etc. Can stream videos and watch Netflix/Hulu while playing a windowed version of ESO. Sounds a lot like you may have connection issues not hardware performance ones.

If you're really that desperate to upgrade because you suffer from PC cyberbody disorder, then at best get a better Nvidia/Radeon card. Or double quadruple your RAM which is the very cheap option of the two. But know that these 2 would only speed up how fast the game world is rendered on your end.
  • KyleTheYounger
    KyleTheYounger
    ✭✭✭
    Smasherx74 wrote: »
    G4560 is a 2 core very basic cpu, the only thing good about it is ddr4. How to upgrade depends on if you change mother board.

Number of cores means *** in ESO and most games. A lot of people who have this misconception were born in the 70s or 80s and don't just havent kept up with the times.

A dual core could perform all the tasks on your computer and the game much better than an 8 core could. The true factor is CPU architecture, how good the per-core performance is. Having multiple cores, like 8 cores for example, is mostly only beneficial for people like Streamers, video editors, etc..

In general you want the best per-core performance. This guys CPU pick isn't that good, but it's a hell of a lot better than the FX chips so I'm assuming he'll still lag like *** in cyrodil but it might actually be playable.

I've found it far more efficient to force the game app to using ONE cpu core like CPU 1 from Task Manager. It seems the more advanced/intelligent PCs become with their exponential number of cores, the less the game/software apps know how to efficiently instruct them. LMAO