Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Would a new CPU benefit me greatly?

Parthrax0923
Parthrax0923
✭✭✭
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/74M3tg

I have 8gb ddr4 ram

That’s my current build and I feel like my CPU is severely lacking for MMOs lol. Can anyone recommend a better CPU?
Edited by Parthrax0923 on April 12, 2018 5:38PM
Fus Ro Dah!
  • Cpt_Teemo
    Cpt_Teemo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    wow, seems legit to me
  • Parthrax0923
    Parthrax0923
    ✭✭✭
    Cpt_Teemo wrote: »
    wow, seems legit to me

???
    Fus Ro Dah!
  • Cpt_Teemo
    Cpt_Teemo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    wow, seems legit to me

???

Just saying it should be able to run ESO and other MMO's fine I believe
  • ecru
    ecru
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You'd get more benefit overclocking your current cpu. A new cpu would help a good amount (like an 8600k), but only if you overclocked it to 4.9-5ghz. Siliconlottery has CPUs for slightly above their retail price that are "guaranteed" to overclock to a certain speed.
    Gryphon Heart
    Godslayer
    Dawnbringer
  • Parthrax0923
    Parthrax0923
    ✭✭✭
    wow, seems legit to me

???

Just saying it should be able to run ESO and other MMO's fine I believe
    I mean, it runs ESO fine on around medium but that processor was $50 and I want to upgrade it. Just not sure what processor would be best to go with. I don’t get the best frames during dungeons and such.
    Fus Ro Dah!
  • Parthrax0923
    Parthrax0923
    ✭✭✭
    ecru wrote: »
    You'd get more benefit overclocking your current cpu. A new cpu would help a good amount (like an 8600k), but only if you overclocked it to 4.9-5ghz. Siliconlottery has CPUs for slightly above their retail price that are "guaranteed" to overclock to a certain speed.

My CPU can’t be OC’d :(
    Fus Ro Dah!
  • AlienatedGoat
    AlienatedGoat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You could upgrade to an i5 or i7 (6th gen or newer) and get better performance out of Summerset with the coming multicore improvement. It only will improve performance on quad cores and up.
    PC-NA Goat
  • ecru
    ecru
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ecru wrote: »

My CPU can’t be OC’d :(

In that case getting an 8600k and overclocking it would give you the most performance benefit at this point in time.
    Gryphon Heart
    Godslayer
    Dawnbringer
  • sylviermoone
    sylviermoone
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    An i5 would be plenty for now. I do run into issues of ESO eating up most of my processor, though, and I'm currently using an i5 Skylake.

If you want to do anything else, save yourself the heartache and go directly to i7.
    Co-GM, Angry Unicorn Traders: PC/NA
    "Official" Master Merchant Tech Support
    and Differently Geared AF
    @sylviermoone
  • jedtb16_ESO
    jedtb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    you don't mention what your mb is.... kind of crucial in selecting a cpu.
  • sylviermoone
    sylviermoone
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    you don't mention what your mb is.... kind of crucial in selecting a cpu.

It's in the link.....
    Co-GM, Angry Unicorn Traders: PC/NA
    "Official" Master Merchant Tech Support
    and Differently Geared AF
    @sylviermoone
  • Rickter
    Rickter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I currently run the following:

Intel i5 3770k 3.4 Ghz quad core processor in combination with a NVidia GTX 970 FTW Edition.

i'm going to tell you right now, my system suffers in cyrodiil, and all Trials. Outside of those two things, I generally get good performance fps wise.

A guildie of mine has an Intel i7 7770k 8 core and a NVidia GTX 1080 and he runs the game at 60fps (v-sync on mind you) while my game runs at 23fps in Cyrodiil.

i dont think its so much that 1080 as the 970 was the last card developed by nvidia for 1080p resolution (which is what i use) - i think its the processor. i have a 3rd gen ivy bridge, he has a 7th gen.

so yes, throw more CPU at it and it will run better.
    RickterESO
    PC | NA | DC
    YouTube
    Bloodletter | StamDK | Alliance Rank 46 | Former Emperor of Shor (2018) | Former Emperor of Thornblade #4terms (2015)
    PvE:
    vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMA | vDSA | vMoL | ALL Vet 4 Man Dungeons

• LeagueTroll
    LeagueTroll
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    G4560 is a 2 core very basic cpu, the only thing good about it is ddr4. How to upgrade depends on if you change mother board.
  • Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you monitored your CPU while playing ESO?

If your CPU is your FPS bottleneck it’s pretty easy to see that in resource monitor (built into windows)

Play ESO with that open on a second monitor. That should answer your question.
    PC NA - @dazkt - Dazk Ardoonkt / Sir Thogalot / Dask Dragoh’t / Dazk Dragoh’t / El Thogardo

Stream: twitch.tv/THOGARDvsThePeasants
    YouTube: http://youtube.com/c/thogardpvp

• WatchYourSixx
    WatchYourSixx
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have an i5-4460 that does a excellent job running the game at 4k ultra with a gtx 1080, though since you have a ddr4 ram motherboard your slot has to be a lga1151 not 1150... So I'd suggest looking into the new budget quad cores... I3-8100 for like 120$ if budget is a factor. That's almost double the processing power for double the cost of the original. iirc they are the same CPU slot. If budget isn't an issue then you should go with the best obviously. But I'm thinking you are building with a budget based on the prices on the parts you currently have.. i3-8100 for sure imo.

Edit: looks like you have a lga1151 CPU slot but a B250 chipset for the board, so if you wanted to do a i3-8100 you would need a new Mobo as well. Otherwise you will need a CPU compatible with your board. Any i3, i5, or i7 6th or 7th gen will work.
    Edited by WatchYourSixx on April 12, 2018 6:33PM
    The only thing to fear is, fear itself. - FDR

CP 800
    PC NA

- Maximus the Marksman (AD) Temp
    - Rex the Unstoppable Force (DC) DK
    - Sodor Dragonfire (DC) DK
    - Masha'Dar Shadow-Paw (DC) NB
    - Magnus the Mage (DC) Sorc
  • Pascal_1080Ti_SLI
    Phage wrote: »
    You could upgrade to an i5 or i7 (6th gen or newer) and get better performance out of Summerset with the coming multicore improvement. It only will improve performance on quad cores and up.

Hello mate...this info is legit?about multicore support with next patch?Because wait this forever..got 6 core cpu and sli setup un its rly awful to see only fully used 1-2 cores and my both 1080Ti sits on middle usage and poor fps
  • Pascal_1080Ti_SLI
    Rickter wrote: »
    I currently run the following:

Intel i5 3770k 3.4 Ghz quad core processor in combination with a NVidia GTX 970 FTW Edition.

i'm going to tell you right now, my system suffers in cyrodiil, and all Trials. Outside of those two things, I generally get good performance fps wise.

A guildie of mine has an Intel i7 7770k 8 core and a NVidia GTX 1080 and he runs the game at 60fps (v-sync on mind you) while my game runs at 23fps in Cyrodiil.

i dont think its so much that 1080 as the 970 was the last card developed by nvidia for 1080p resolution (which is what i use) - i think its the processor. i have a 3rd gen ivy bridge, he has a 7th gen.

so yes, throw more CPU at it and it will run better.

3770k is i7....i7 7770k 8core that lol no such cpu on market mate and about 1080p...1050 Ti..1060 and 1070 is for 1080p...and even 1060 s....s in many games on 1080p on max settings...not mention 120hz or 144hz monitors
  • exiars10
    exiars10
    ✭✭✭

Hello mate...this info is legit?about multicore support with next patch?Because wait this forever..got 6 core cpu and sli setup un its rly awful to see only fully used 1-2 cores and my both 1080Ti sits on middle usage and poor fps
    It is officially posted by ZOS but SLI/CrossFire are garbage for vast majority of games.

We'll see what is going to happen. Try to force supersampling AA (or how is it called in GeForce ForceWare driver - DSR?) so your GPU at least do something. ESO is like every other MMO heavily CPU bound and it's run better on Intel CPUs.
    I don't play ESO since 15.06. because Cyrodiil is broken since Summerset (PvE isn't much better, too)...

Aldmeri Dominion (PC Europe via Steam)

The cowardly Wood Elves are best noted for their unwillingness to engage in a face-to-face attack; a Bosmer will strike at you from every side except the front. You won't cross swords with a Bosmer, but you might catch an arrow in the throat. Be wary in forests and jungles, and watch your back.
  • exiars10
    exiars10
    ✭✭✭

I have 8gb ddr4 ram

That’s my current build and I feel like my CPU is severely lacking for MMOs lol. Can anyone recommend a better CPU?
    My advice is to wait for Summerset patch.

Devs posted game should get multicore support. So, wait and see reports. If more cores really help, then you ask again for the new CPU and in your case Core i5-7x00 or even maybe i7-7x00. But just wait, don't rush.
    I don't play ESO since 15.06. because Cyrodiil is broken since Summerset (PvE isn't much better, too)...

The cowardly Wood Elves are best noted for their unwillingness to engage in a face-to-face attack; a Bosmer will strike at you from every side except the front. You won't cross swords with a Bosmer, but you might catch an arrow in the throat. Be wary in forests and jungles, and watch your back.
  • Pascal_1080Ti_SLI
    exiars10 wrote: »

It is officially posted by ZOS but SLI/CrossFire are garbage for vast majority of games.

We'll see what is going to happen. Try to force supersampling AA (or how is it called in GeForce ForceWare driver - DSR?) so your GPU at least do something. ESO is like every other MMO heavily CPU bound and it's run better on Intel CPUs.

I already play on dsr 4x on 2560x1440p:) reshade maxed settings and so on...sli works great on many games...you can force sli almost to all games using NVidia inspector...and with dx12 2x gpus runs even better
  • Banana
    Banana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes an upgrade is needed. 8700K if i was spending some money
  • Pascal_1080Ti_SLI

I have 8gb ddr4 ram

My advice is to wait for Summerset patch.

Devs posted game should get multicore support. So, wait and see reports. If more cores really help, then you ask again for the new CPU and in your case Core i5-7x00 or even maybe i7-7x00. But just wait, don't rush.

Right know on eso there is no such good cpu when game uses 1-2 cores..every cpu would be wasted
  • Pascal_1080Ti_SLI

uses 1-2 cores max...that is very bad cpu usage example nowdays..like potato
  • exiars10
    exiars10
    ✭✭✭

I already play on dsr 4x on 2560x1440p:) reshade maxed settings and so on...sli works great on many games...you can force sli almost to all games using NVidia inspector...and with dx12 2x gpus runs even better
    Then you already did what can you do to max "employ" graphics card ;).
    Right know on eso there is no such good cpu when game uses 1-2 cores..every cpu would be wasted
    Like vast majority of MMOs they are built on old engines when multicore processors were new and rare.
    Plus Intel didn't really pushed more cores to become mainstream (for various reasons).

Also, highly clocked Intel Core CPUs really help to push up fps in MMOs.

• Cpt_Teemo
    Cpt_Teemo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Like vast majority of MMOs they are built on old engines when multicore processors were new and rare.
    Plus Intel didn't really pushed more cores to become mainstream (for various reasons).

Some 2000-2010 mmo's still run off Cpu resources rather than Gpu as well
  • Pascal_1080Ti_SLI

yep I do all..but my 2x 1080Ti just sleeps when cpu works hard with 1-2 cores and that is painful to see and feel mate:)
  • Knowledge
    Knowledge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would at least purchase a quad core in 2018. A lot of programs and games are beginning to use more than even four cores at this time. If you'd like a cheaper alternative to an intel Quad core check out the 1600x.
  • Pascal_1080Ti_SLI
    Knowledge wrote: »
    I would at least purchase a quad core in 2018. A lot of programs and games are beginning to use more than even four cores at this time. If you'd like a cheaper alternative to an intel Quad core check out the 1600x.

Even now some games uses more than 4 cores already...mass effect andromeda...battlefield 1...the division and so on...full agree to you about more core cpu..its good time to use 6 cores now
  • Smasherx74
    Smasherx74
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    G4560 is a 2 core very basic cpu, the only thing good about it is ddr4. How to upgrade depends on if you change mother board.

Number of cores means *** in ESO and most games. A lot of people who have this misconception were born in the 70s or 80s and don't just havent kept up with the times.

A dual core could perform all the tasks on your computer and the game much better than an 8 core could. The true factor is CPU architecture, how good the per-core performance is. Having multiple cores, like 8 cores for example, is mostly only beneficial for people like Streamers, video editors, etc..

In general you want the best per-core performance. This guys CPU pick isn't that good, but it's a hell of a lot better than the FX chips so I'm assuming he'll still lag like *** in cyrodil but it might actually be playable.
    Master Debater
  • rumple9
    rumple9
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have i5-4670k (overclocked to 4.2 GHz) but when I upgraded from gtx 970 to 1080 I saw a huge boost in frames and I now get 75fps even in Cyrodiil playing with all settings maxed
    Edited by rumple9 on April 12, 2018 7:27PM