Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Staff With sheild?

Emothic
Emothic
✭✭✭✭
Can you hold a staff and a sheild at the same time? I think I've been running a messed up build this whole time if you can.

Lord Emothic Von Hellsing of ze Hellsing Family.
Dragon Knight of the Ebonheart Pact. Xbox One - NA
  • Sixty5
    Sixty5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You can't.

Staves are big thick rods, and require both hands to properly operate.
    Lord and Savior of the Association of Serious S***posters.

I play a character called "Gives Me Wood Elf" because I am a mature and sensible person.
    Stam Sorc main in Battlegrounds
  • Emothic
    Emothic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sixty5 wrote: »
    You can't.

Okay. I though you couldn't. So now I know I missread what someone said earlier.
    Lord Emothic Von Hellsing of ze Hellsing Family.
    Dragon Knight of the Ebonheart Pact. Xbox One - NA
  • DeadlyPhoenix
    DeadlyPhoenix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can't.

Yet you only ever hold onto it with one hand minus a few spell animations..
  • Sixty5
    Sixty5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You can't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRWUoDpo2fo

I play a character called "Gives Me Wood Elf" because I am a mature and sensible person.
  • pod88kk
    pod88kk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You can't.

big thick rods, and require both hands to properly operate.

;)
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can't.

You need your free hand to stay in balance! It's like a Khajit's tail for spellcasters.
    Edited by Seraphayel on April 9, 2018 4:53AM
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Strangely when you do a heavy attack with a staff you swing it with one hand, you cast a spell with one hand, you slam it into the ground with one hand, you do everything with the staff with just one hand... but its a two-handed weapon so no shield.
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    You can't.

You could have fooled me. All those people through the ages wielding Spears and Shields apparently didn't know better... (Although it makes a lot more sense to use a spear than a staff with a shield).
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>
  • Faunter
    Faunter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    pod88kk wrote: »
    You can't.

;)
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR8WtwK631lkxU5-4LeUS3FjTxNeHfubPzz1Ht7U8SbqQgWiBGvSA
  • DeadlyPhoenix
    DeadlyPhoenix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seraphayel wrote: »
    You can't.

You need your free hand to stay in balance! It's like a Khajit's tail for spellcasters.

Amusing but not true. If anything the shield would act as a counterbalance.

5caa172e75d7fcc0369b431ab53c224a.png
    136c8b62dbed342c27b6a8ee11981d24.jpg
    7372083524_02726d136d_b.jpg

I have actually made a couple posts about this in the past. Would be nice, but don't see it happening anytime soon.

Edit
    Also in Skyrim you could dual wield staves... Don't know about shield and staff, I think you could but can't remember exactly without mods anyway. Will log in tomorrow and check it out :wink:
    Edited by DeadlyPhoenix on April 9, 2018 6:30AM
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Seraphayel wrote: »
    You can't.

Amusing but not true. If anything the shield would act as a counterbalance.

5caa172e75d7fcc0369b431ab53c224a.png
    136c8b62dbed342c27b6a8ee11981d24.jpg
    7372083524_02726d136d_b.jpg

I have actually made a couple posts about this in the past. Would be nice, but don't see it happening anytime soon.

Edit
    Also in Skyrim you could dual wield staves... Don't know about shield and staff, I think you could but can't remember exactly without mods anyway. Will log in tomorrow and check it out :wink:

Exactly. You can use the shield to support the weight and do some cool things with it like that, although like I said it'd make more sense as a SPEAR which would really be an exciting addition to the game for me personally.
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>
  • Biro123
    Biro123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Its kind of a staff... Well, shoots fire(ish) - I guess.

MA_00486795_cjex9q.jpg
    Minalan owes me a beer.

PC EU Megaserver
    Minie Mo - Stam/Magblade - DC
    Woody Ron - Stamplar - DC
    Aidee - Magsorc - DC
    Notadorf - Stamsorc - DC
    Khattman Doo - Stamblade - Relegated to Crafter, cos AD.
  • Ilithyania
    Ilithyania
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    visually : Staff and shield looks SOOOO cool. like a real Battle mage :*:*:*:*
    PC
  • fierackas
    fierackas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you can use a shield and staff you shouldn't be able to cast spells at the same time
  • Androconium
    Androconium
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Emothic wrote: »
    Can you hold a staff and a sheild at the same time? I think I've been running a messed up build this whole time if you can.

You can't.
    Armed with that information, your build is still likely to be messed up.
  • DeadlyPhoenix
    DeadlyPhoenix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    fierackas wrote: »
    If you can use a shield and staff you shouldn't be able to cast spells at the same time

Because using dual wield or a 2 handed or even one hand and shield prevents you from casting spells right? Why would it?

• Kodrac
    Kodrac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Because using dual wield or a 2 handed or even one hand and shield prevents you from casting spells right? Why would it?

52546176.jpg
  • Spacemonkey
    Spacemonkey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yeah it would be pretty nice.
    id love a new weaponline. magicka weapon lines (aka staff) do not interest me in the least bit atm.

Staves/Spear & Shield. With abilities scaling off magicka if you have a staff or stamina if you have a spear.

:D

maybe Chapter 2019?

maybe shield&shield? O_O
  • fierackas
    fierackas
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It should ;)
  • DeadlyPhoenix
    DeadlyPhoenix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just an update, vanilla Skyrim does allow for shield and staff to be equipped at the same time.
  • pod88kk
    pod88kk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Faunter wrote: »
    pod88kk wrote: »
    You can't.

;)
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR8WtwK631lkxU5-4LeUS3FjTxNeHfubPzz1Ht7U8SbqQgWiBGvSA

:D
  • Sixty5
    Sixty5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Just an update, vanilla Skyrim does allow for shield and staff to be equipped at the same time.

Wow, technology made a lot of progress in a 1000 years in Tamriel.

Maybe in another 1000 years we will be able to use a bow and shield at the same time ;)

• dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Wow, technology made a lot of progress in a 1000 years in Tamriel.

Maybe in another 1000 years we will be able to use a bow and shield at the same time ;)

I don't know about that but the little Riekling fellows have this awesome technique for using a bow but only throwing the arrows like javelins.
    <And plenty more>
  • DoctorESO
    DoctorESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    In real life, you would use two hands to operate a real magic staff.
  • DeadlyPhoenix
    DeadlyPhoenix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DoctorESO wrote: »
    In real life, you would use two hands to operate a real magic staff.

Lol.... just.... lol.... :wink: irl...

Closest thing you'll get to "magic" in real life would be the movies and Gandalf uses a magic staff and sword simultaneously. It stands to reason that he could drop the sword for a shield as well. I honestly can't tell if this was a joke or not lol....
  • Sjizzle
    Sjizzle
    ✭✭✭
    why u don't ask for slingshot in the game .... a StamNB with slingshot