The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Why Doesn’t ZOS Ever Prepare?

Ch4mpTW
Ch4mpTW
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
Whenever an event is going on, or a new DLC is about to go live — why don’t you all at ZOS ever prepare their servers; or equipment in advance for what is to come? The lag has been brutal these past few events. And while I’m certain that you all at ZOS are tired of these same threads day in and out, wouldn’t it make more sense for you all to actually secure your severs and prep to avoid these threads in the 1st place? Years and still same song and dance from you all. Smfh.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because ZOS enjoys watching us complain about the same problems again and again.

Wanna bet the first day of Midyear Mayhem is going to be a complete mess until ZOS starts spinning up extra PVP campaigns again?

Of course, some problems just show up in the Live Update. I don't think anyone expected the Imperial City exp bug.
  • Sixty5
    Sixty5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Because it costs more to design servers to handle peak load than it does to just turn everything off for an hour or two and hope that enough people go away to bring stuff back under capacity.

Lord and Savior of the Association of Serious S***posters.

I play a character called "Gives Me Wood Elf" because I am a mature and sensible person.
    Stam Sorc main in Battlegrounds
  • Arobain
    Arobain
    ✭✭✭✭
    I never lag during the event, must be your side
  • SBC
    SBC
    ✭✭✭✭
    Arobain wrote: »

I might get a small isolated spike once a day, but generally neither do I. I really didn't want to switch from console to PC due to loss of crowns and progress. But I played during the free week and it's so smooth for me, I had to make the switch.

Granted this assumes you're on PC. If you play console I understand as it was brutal for me even with a Pro.
  • ParaNostram
    ParaNostram
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    They want to do more I'm sure, now if only that crown store money went to hiring more people and upgrading the servers but nooooo it has to go straight into the pockets of the publishers and shareholders.
    "Your mistake is you begged for your life, not for mercy. I will show you there are many fates worse than death."

Para Nostram
    Bosmer Sorceress
    Witch of Evermore

"Death is a privilege that can be denied by it's learned scholars."
    Order of the Black Worm
  • ccfeeling
    ccfeeling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Improve server cannot make money B)
  • kyle.wilson
    kyle.wilson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sixty5 wrote: »
    Because it costs more to design servers to handle peak load than it does to just turn everything off for an hour or two and hope that enough people go away to bring stuff back under capacity.

As messed up as that sounds, its probably accurate.
  • Sixty5
    Sixty5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I server space and power doesn't come cheap, and adding more to a running system isn't exactly the easiest thing in the world.
    Running at the caacity needed to handle peak playerbase at all times is going to be a loss on ZOS's end, because 99% of the time that capacity is being wasted.
    Likewise, maintaining the infustructure in reserve to handle that peak traffic is also going to be loss, given that you have to keep those servers up to date and troublshooted, plus people already complain about long maintenences.

It always irks me a little when people talk about how places should get more/better servers, considering the cost and workload that that entails.
    For reference, the last server upgrade I worked on was quoted for just north of $100k, and that was for maybe 100 net users over maybe a 100km radius area.
    And while ZOS might make decent mony from this game, I doubt it is enough to keep an extra half million worth of server hardware sitting around for ost of the year.

I play a character called "Gives Me Wood Elf" because I am a mature and sensible person.
  • Marabornwingrion
    Marabornwingrion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    What exactly do you expect from them...?
    Their servers are made of potato, not much can improve them.
  • The_Lex
    The_Lex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don't get much lag, but I do get really long load screens.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I expect ZOS to prepare for entirely predictable things, like everyone swarming the PVP campaigns during Midyear Mayhem.

Or like fixing known issues with the groupfinder before they start an event that is all about random dungeons.

I also expect ZOS to deal with long-term problems. Lag, disconnects, loading screens have been an issue for a long time in Cyrodiil-though I'm glad to hear there may be some improvements coming.
  • kyle.wilson
    kyle.wilson
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I server space and power doesn't come cheap, and adding more to a running system isn't exactly the easiest thing in the world.
    Running at the caacity needed to handle peak playerbase at all times is going to be a loss on ZOS's end, because 99% of the time that capacity is being wasted.
    Likewise, maintaining the infustructure in reserve to handle that peak traffic is also going to be loss, given that you have to keep those servers up to date and troublshooted, plus people already complain about long maintenences.

It always irks me a little when people talk about how places should get more/better servers, considering the cost and workload that that entails.
    For reference, the last server upgrade I worked on was quoted for just north of $100k, and that was for maybe 100 net users over maybe a 100km radius area.
    And while ZOS might make decent mony from this game, I doubt it is enough to keep an extra half million worth of server hardware sitting around for ost of the year.

For a company that wants to continue to expand its player base, they need to upgrade the system to allow for it. To continue to use a system that was already struggling with 1/3 the players is a little ridiculous.
    I understand the cost would be prohibitive, but that would be only if the don't expect to be able to recoup the cost as a ROI.

If they expect the game to have the same sticking power as WOW, they will need to upgrade.
    Otherwise they are just treading water till we all stop dumping cash into crown crates.
  • Armatesz
    Armatesz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because ZOS enjoys watching us complain about the same problems again and again.

Wanna bet the first day of Midyear Mayhem is going to be a complete mess until ZOS starts spinning up extra PVP campaigns again?

Of course, some problems just show up in the Live Update. I don't think anyone expected the Imperial City exp bug.

Yeah last year midyear mayhem was glitched for most people, a rare bit of people have the "Star-made knight" title and most people that seemed like they should have gotten it in fact did not. During that event it kinda did show that you could in fact kill steal from others. They could have the killing blow but in fact don't at the same time. Kinda weird all in all.
    Ärmätèsz
    Xbox NA
    Guildless (by choice)
  • Ch4mpTW
    Ch4mpTW
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't get much lag, but I do get really long load screens.

I don’t normally get too of lag either (unless I was doing Maelstrom Arena...), but whenever there’s an event or a new DPC going live? The lag becomes extremely bad. And I do mean extremely bad. Doing dungeons and trials with guilds these past few days while the event has been active have been really rough. Bosses skipping mechanics, freezing from lag spikes, etc.

Mind you, this is on PS4-NA, on a PS4 Pro; with a swapped HDD for more capacity. My internet speeds 300+ mb/s download, and around 13 mb/s upload (wired connection). So, I can assure you that I don’t have slow internet speeds. Not in the slightest. On any other game, I could be: Downloading a movie, having a movie stream in another room, and playing GTA Online in a full session while having no lag at all. All the while having company over, who are connected to my network; browsing the web on their mobile device(s). It’s definitely on ZOS’ side.
  • Banana
    Banana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe a good connection will be in the crown store soon.
  • Ch4mpTW
    Ch4mpTW
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Armatesz wrote: »

Yeah last year midyear mayhem was glitched for most people, a rare bit of people have the "Star-made knight" title and most people that seemed like they should have gotten it in fact did not. During that event it kinda did show that you could in fact kill steal from others. They could have the killing blow but in fact don't at the same time. Kinda weird all in all.

Once I got my Star-Made Knight titles on my main, as well as my PvP main? I refused to set foot in BG or Cyrodiil. Game was literally unplayable in PvP environments. Even at off-hours (e.g. 4am).
  • NovaMarx
    NovaMarx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Arobain wrote: »

Same. I hardly ever get lag. If anything I get slow loading textures/characters for a few seconds, but never lag.

I feel bad for anyone experiencing it, but they should really consider checking their own side first.
    "Feet are for walking. Hands are for hitting. Or shaking. Or waving. Sometimes for clapping."
    - M'aiq the Liar
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ch4mpTW wrote: »
    Whenever an event is going on, or a new DLC is about to go live — why don’t you all at ZOS ever prepare their servers; or equipment in advance for what is to come? The lag has been brutal these past few events. And while I’m certain that you all at ZOS are tired of these same threads day in and out, wouldn’t it make more sense for you all to actually secure your severs and prep to avoid these threads in the 1st place? Years and still same song and dance from you all. Smfh.

I wondered this back when the first Cake event happened and it was almost impossible to get anywhere near the Chef. This was repeated with the first New Life Festival, too.

However, I do have to say that on PC NA, this has not been as much of a problem for the last three or four events.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • jcasini222ub17_ESO
    jcasini222ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    So you guys never lag in cyro large battles? Skills always fire in the hose cyro large battles? Never watch yourself unable to bar swap? Don't see numerous people just stop moving (they're in the process of getting disconnected)

If so please inform me what game you're playing and how I can get it.

Also I believe Champ plays on console so there is only so much those individuals can actually do.
    Edited by jcasini222ub17_ESO on April 8, 2018 11:55PM
  • Sixty5
    Sixty5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

For a company that wants to continue to expand its player base, they need to upgrade the system to allow for it. To continue to use a system that was already struggling with 1/3 the players is a little ridiculous.
    I understand the cost would be prohibitive, but that would be only if the don't expect to be able to recoup the cost as a ROI.

If they expect the game to have the same sticking power as WOW, they will need to upgrade.
    Otherwise they are just treading water till we all stop dumping cash into crown crates.

Oh I agree, you definitely need to meet your average daily peak requirements, but that wasn't the point of this thread in asking ZOS to prep servers for the absolute peak loads.