Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Help with Stam Orc Sorcerer Summoner - yes you read this right

Itacira
Itacira
✭✭✭✭✭
Hi !

For REASONS (sorcerer : I really like going about my way and having summons distract the enemy while I flee take in the view ; orc : because I never played one in all my many TES years) I find myself with a sorcerer orc well on her way to her forties. I was a bit frustrated with the magic system so I recently reconverted to stamsorc. All builds I could find on the subject deprived me of my summons so I didn't quite follow them because how else can I pick flowers without being disturbed ?!

I'm mostly play PVE so when I finally tried dungeons I found I didn't quite have enough damage output to, well, fulfill a damage dealer role, and while my orc can take SOME damage (all things considered) (as an off tank) she didn't even deal enough to keep the aggro. The opposite of useful for a tank.

Basically my question is this : Should I take up board and sword to taunt ? is there a miraculous solution to balance orc-ing and summoning and stamina-ing ???

Yes I know the warden probably is the answer to my problems but I didn't have it when I started ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
PC/EU - PVE 2H stam orc petsorc (meta, what meta?) ww - terrible dps - mediocre player - fun times - free ww bites to whomever asks so don't be shy if interested
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As you're probably aware, a summons off-tank build is better by a long mile if it's magicka-based. Though you tried it and didn't like it, I think you can still do that sort of build even as an Orc.

Having pets up and then running stam skills is technically a hybrid character ... and those don't have a strong history even in vet dungeons.

Will running only Maw of the Infernal count for you as a summoner?

That would work much better on a stam setup than familiar/clannfear and winged twilight. You could run sword & board on the back bar to taunt. Alternatively, you can slot the stam morph of inner fire (inner beast; undaunted line) which would also work fine.

To summarize:

1. Decide if you really want to go magicka or stamina.

2. If running only Maw of the Infernal 2-piece counts as "summoner" then I would run a regular DPS stam sorc with sword & board back bar/inner beast and Maw of the Infernal.

Edited by Taleof2Cities on April 8, 2018 1:03AM
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Stamina sorc tanks can use the clanfear as a health based heal.

Stamina dps with the clanfear isn't terrible at all, tbh.

Which would you prefer your summoner-warrior orc do? Damage, tank, or something entirely different? I'll help you, if you make me blood-kin :p
  • Itacira
    Itacira
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will running only Maw of the Infernal count for you as a summoner?

Alas, no, I'd rather my pet was constant.
    DocFrost72 wrote: »
    I'll help you, if you make me blood-kin :p

Trust like that is not freely given, outsider.

:p

More seriously, my summoner-warrior orc would like to be able to PVE in peace AND occasionally pull her weight and not get cursed all the ways to oblivion in dungeons. I've had my share of annoying experiences in online gaming, I'm not keen on renewing them - which is why I've so far steered clear of the multiplayer options.

I thought a tank sorcerer could be something unusual and fun to do. But I don't mind having something akin to acceptable DPS either. I'm even willing to part with my twilight matriarch, who doesn't heal as well as my Clannfear anyway. I'm full of goodwill !

PC/EU - PVE 2H stam orc petsorc (meta, what meta?) ww - terrible dps - mediocre player - fun times - free ww bites to whomever asks so don't be shy if interested
  • Checkmath
    Checkmath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    as some kind of hybrid summoner, i would suggest going for sets, with a lot of stats: shacklebreaker, trainee, domihaus 1p. maybe even a necropotence+hulking draugr/bone pirate will work. anyway pets damage scale with max magicka, thats why i suggested those high stat sets, so you still get some decent damage out of them when still going full stamina with the attributes. it surely would be a fun idea tough. for a pvp char based on pets and stamina or hybrid, i would like to summon @Thraben , wo has a similar playstyle.
  • Itacira
    Itacira
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure how much time and energy I'm willing to put into getting sets (specially since I'm not lvl 50 yet) but I'll keep those in mind, thanks !

As of now, and at the risk of provoking screams of horror, this is my skillbar :

2018-04-08_15_56_49-_Elder_Scrolls_Online.png

I read about this switching weaving thing but can't quite get the hang of it so my bow skillbar is pretty much that with mage's wrath instead of critical charge to finish off low level enemies that I've pulled. The Follow Up two handed passive is fun though. I'm pretty casual in my mindset and very content to have a mediocre playstyle so long as I'm fulfilling some form of unspoken basic something. The nice balance between having fun and NOT ruining everybody else's.

I'm thinking of shelving Twilight Matriarch to grab the undaunted taunt Inner Fire ASAP but it's magicka based. Unless I can use Puncture with a two-handed weapon even though it's a one hand and shield skill tree ?

Or I could do a bow stamina summoner, if that is a viable thing. Probably squishier in PVE, though.
  • Jim_Pipp
    Jim_Pipp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi. I really like that you know what you want to play. For most solo content you will be fine but in a group you will be expected to perform in a role.

With that said stam sorc damage dealers are so strong that if you follow a good build you won't loose too much by slotting your clanfear (but only the clanfear, because using pets is making your build weaker).

However if you wanted to go full tank then the clanfear improves your build. Here is a pretty solid, up to date guide from one of Eso's most respected theory craters

https://alcasthq.com/eso-sorcerer-tank-build-pve/

The only gear set you really need is torugs pact which you could learn to craft very quickly. All of your other gear should buff health, and if you can get the endurance jewelery set from dungeons you will be an asset in any group.

Edit. Should have proofread this.
    Edited by Jim_Pipp on April 8, 2018 2:44PM
    #1 tip (Re)check your graphics settings periodically - especially resolution.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Which would you prefer your summoner-warrior orc do? Damage, tank, or something entirely different? I'll help you, if you make me blood-kin :p
    Clanfear is nice for soloing dungeons and world bosses, not much point running it in dungeons as DD.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Thraben
    Thraben
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Itacira wrote: »
    Hi !

For REASONS (sorcerer : I really like going about my way and having summons distract the enemy while I flee take in the view ; orc : because I never played one in all my many TES years) I find myself with a sorcerer orc well on her way to her forties. I was a bit frustrated with the magic system so I recently reconverted to stamsorc. All builds I could find on the subject deprived me of my summons so I didn't quite follow them because how else can I pick flowers without being disturbed ?!

I'm mostly play PVE so when I finally tried dungeons I found I didn't quite have enough damage output to, well, fulfill a damage dealer role, and while my orc can take SOME damage (all things considered) (as an off tank) she didn't even deal enough to keep the aggro. The opposite of useful for a tank.

Basically my question is this : Should I take up board and sword to taunt ? is there a miraculous solution to balance orc-ing and summoning and stamina-ing ???

Yes I know the warden probably is the answer to my problems but I didn't have it when I started ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1. Rejoice, the Warden is NOT the answer. The Bear is not worth 2 slots.
    2. A clannfear is actually pretty required to slot if you want to tank as a Stamsorc, and it is a better off tank even if it scales off magicka. Surge, blood altar and vigor heal it up well.
    3. Take Plague Doctor, the Hunger/Morkuldin Set and a maw of the Infernal for normal vet Dungeons. You can tank like a true Orc with a big 2handed weapon using the Undaunted taunt, only using sword n board for bosses.
    4. If you tank DLC Dungeons, replace Maw with Shadowrent and equip a second tank set.
    5. Remember to use all three skill bars; WarHorn is not soooo much better than Atronach.
    6. After Summerset you might even beat a warden in the category "2nd best tank after DK".
    6. As a tanky StamsOrc, you can apply for positions in Elite PvP groups, something neither normal tanks nor normal StamSorc DDs can. Even I don't run around with a Clannfear in PvP though ;)
    Hauptmann der Dolche des Königs

DDK ist die letzte Verteidigungslinie des Dolchsturz- Bündnisses auf der 30-Tage-No-CP- Kampagne(EU) mit dem Anspruch, in kleinen, anfängerfreundlichen Raid-Gruppen möglichst epische Schlachten auszufechten.

DDK is the Daggerfall Covenant´s last line of defense on the 30 days no-cp campaign (EU). We intend to fight epic battles in small, casual player friendly raid groups.
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    For dps, I'd recommend 5 pieces of hunding's rage (4 body pieces divine's with a sharpened greatsword and bow, since it seems those are your bar setups at present), with 5 pieces of spriggan's as your necklace, rings, and two body pieces. Any medium piece will do for either the head or shoulder (I recommend shoulder) until you get a monster set. If you go that route, you can try turning in keys to get the velidreth, molag kena, or Kra'gh shoulder piece.

sets and where to get them;

Hunding's rage:
    unknown.png Crafted 6-trait set (meaning for each piece of gear you make in it, you must have researched six traits in that piece. For example, if you have researched training, divines, reinforced, impenetrable, sturdy, and nirnhoned in boots, you may make the boots of Hunding's Rage. Alternatively, they will surely be for sale in vendors, and you may get some folks who craft them for you (usually for a fee, if you don't have the materials).

Spriggan's thorns:
    unknown.png Drop set from Bangkorai, you can either farm this (dolmens and chests drop jewelry while quests and named bosses like delve bosses and world bosses drop armor) or purchase it directly from guild traders. Hint: There is an infused chest that drops from the spider quest regarding the redguard couple and the feeding spiders...wish I knew the location, but that could be an easy to get start!

Velidreth:
    unknown.png the head is acquired through veteran cradle of shadows (I do NOT recommend getting this piece, go for the shoulder) while the shoulder is gained from doing undaunted daily quests and using the reward keys on the middle (chief bane) chest. Heavy or medium are fine, as are most traits. You can always change the trait later!

Molag Kena:
    unknown.png This head is acquired by completing veteran white gold tower (I do NOT recommend getting this piece, go for the shoulder) while the shoulder is gained from doing undaunted daily quests and using the reward keys on the middle (chief bane) chest. Heavy or medium are fine, as are most traits. You can always change the trait later!

Kra'gh:
    unknown.png The head is acquired by running veteran fungal grotto I (doable if difficult for beginners, trust me) while the shoulder is acquired by doing undaunted daily quests and using the reward keys on the left most (Maj) chest. Heavy or medium are fine, as are most traits. You can always change the trait later!

For you in your situation, and with the announcement of Summerset potentially making 2h weapons count as 2 set pieces, I would make sure your head piece is a hunding's rage piece, so when the change happens you can get another head for a different effect and not worry about re-crafting gear. As for which monster helm, I would urge you to, for now, go with Kra'gh. It is the easiest of the listed to get, and the one piece is undisputed best in non meta groups because of the penetration.

I would suggest you run 6 medium, one heavy for the increased survival with heavy armor passives, as well as additional resources if and when you start leveling your undaunted guild line.

As for skills, if it is not too much to ask, I would suggest a few small changes.

Bar one (greatsword):
    wrecking blow, executioner, brawler, hurricane, unstable clanfear, greater storm atronach.

Bar two (bow):
    critical surge, poison injection, endless hail, dark deal, unstable clanfear, greater storm atronach.

This will give you a lot of skills to work with, applying the right tools for the job. On overland mobs, feel free to switch out wrecking blow for critical charge, if you'd rather the enhanced mobility! For dungeons, you'll find you don't really use that move a lot, and wrecking blow hits harder (as the name suggests).

How to do damage:
    You're going to want to start on your bow bar. Cast critical surge, then use endless hail and poison injection. After that, swap to your front bar and use hurricane. Now that all your dots are up, use wrecking blow and then heavy attack, over and over until you see hurricane drop, then repeat (only use crit surge every other time you do all this to save magicka for dark deal emergencies!). When you start getting more comfortable doing damage, then we'll worry about light weaving, okay?

You'll want blue health and stamina food such as
    unknown.png
    in order to reach more health and more stamina. Another good tip is to use the warrior mundus stone, if you are not already using it.

My other bit of advice for you is to take time to get used to all this. No one became Deltia, Gilliam, or Alcast overnight, an I promise you you will not be the exception. That said, just doing these steps alone will make any group dungeon in the game accessible to you, and as you get better even veteran dungeons and normal trials. Once you start getting it, it will kind of click in place for you :)

Anything I missed? Something you need clarified? Tag me with my @ name and I'll help!
    zaria wrote: »

Clanfear is nice for soloing dungeons and world bosses, not much point running it in dungeons as DD.

There's not much point running any spec but a potl slave stamplar or a war machine nightblade at endgame, but I still see plenty of stam wardens, dks, and sorcs chewing up 50k+ parses. Sometimes, we do things that aren't optimal for fun. As long as you're not expecting to bring your hybrid dps to a vhof score run, I don't think it's a problem either :)
    Edited by DocFrost72 on April 8, 2018 3:19PM
  • Itacira
    Itacira
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you all so much for this insight ! Very useful !

@DocFrost72

This really looks like something that'd fit me ! Seems actually worth finally respec-ing points skill and attribute points leftover from my very sad attempts at a magicka DPS. I'll probably wait a while to get the gear (if only because my cat is STUCK ON A ROOF SINCE YESTERDAY and I need to unwind while waiting for the neighbor with access to the roof window to come back from her week-end) but maybe the skill and attribute changes will at least give me a shot at getting the dungeon daily xp during the event.

About the weapons : I'm not particularly attached to the bow tbh if there's a better option but I do admit that I quite like the idea of charging into the fray with a two-handed wielding orc, be it sword, mace, or axe.

Lastly, a question : why medium instead of heavy ?

PS : What with the xp bonus events (not complaining) since the free trial I'm probably over-leveled for my (lack of) story advancement. I just got out of Glenumbra because I hate leaving a region without completing ALL THE QUESTS so I don't have access to many birth stones. YET.
    Edited by Itacira on April 8, 2018 4:11PM
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh geez, hope your cat is okay! If you're not sold on the bow, you can do other options. The bow does give the best value, as those two dots are really strong. If you've a burning desire to set up a dual wield or sword and shield back bar, I can help you with that. It will pull a bit less dps, but then again in open world that hardly matters. You could also swap wrecking blow for the charge if you really like it, just use heavy attacks between brawlers to make up the dps :)

As for the medium armor question, medium armor passives give you a lot more passive damage. You get 12% more weapon damage, more weapon critical (which increases the likelihood you'll score a crit, both healing yourself and doing more damage), and makes you more agile. Medium armor's biggest defense is roll dodging, and each piece of medium armor reduces the stamina cost of roll dodging to help you access it more frequently.

And yeah, on a regular day I can get to mid thirties with just glenumbra- you've got a LOT of story in just the base game :D
  • Itacira
    Itacira
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    [My cat is fine, another good neighbor got to her with a ladder from roof to roof and the cat's already asking to go back outside which she's now forbidden as it's the THIRD TIME in a fortnight she gets stuck on the roof, content in the knowledge that humans will free her eventually]

I'm good with the bow. Got enough skill points to start on your build (heavy armor for now until I finally respec or earn more skill points), leveled twice in one dungeon (bless this xp event), so now the question is : how the hell does one keep up with the 145826 visual effects on screen during a fight when you're in close quarter combat seriously ? Between the synergies and my buffs (UI add-on to show them) and the skill and the switching and... insanity.

Also it's mightily frustrating when by the time I cast my combo half the enemies have been felled.