The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

So, is Break Free supposed to work in battlegrounds?

Kel
Kel
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
Because it doesn't.....at all. I've been feared, stunned, locked down in burning talons, all without being able to break free.
Getting killed is inevitable. But it's frustrating when you just get stunned and instantly get killed because a base mechanic of the game isn't working.
And this isn't some diminished return thing, where I've broken free once then get locked down..this happens the first time.
Immovability pots are fine, but if you get caught out after its duration, you are dead.

What's the deal with break free in battlegrounds? Honestly, is it supposed to work?
Edited by Kel on April 6, 2018 2:36AM
  • Toc de Malsvi
    Toc de Malsvi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's just the Dragon Bones update, break free was having issues on the PTS and is still having issues.
    Legendary Archer of Valenwood
    Bosmer Dragon Knight Archer. XBox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Bosmer Nightblade Archer. Xbox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Bosmer Sorcerer Archer. Xbox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Bosmer Warden Archer. Xbox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Templar's are evil..
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    it is not working, and not just in battle grounds.
    it also does not work in cryodiil.
  • bardx86
    bardx86
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's *** BROKEN!
  • Aznox
    Aznox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jabrone77 wrote: »
    Because it doesn't.....at all. I've been feared, stunned, locked down in burning talons, all without being able to break free.
    Getting killed is inevitable. But it's frustrating when you just get stunned and instantly get killed because a base mechanic of the game isn't working.

Or because you didn't try to understand said mechanics ?
    • You will receive 7 seconds of immunity to Hard CC after you break free or they expire
    • You will receive 2 seconds of root immunity after you roll dodge out of one

The chain of event you described is not in contradiction with game mechanics :
    1. Get a fear effect applied on you
    2. Get a stun effect applied on you, before the fear has expired, then break free (you gain 7 seconds hard CC immunity)
    3. Get a root effect applied on you (hard CC immunity does not protect against root)

If not, then you need to tell us more about your problem, because i'm playing several battlegrounds a day, and outside of one or two nights per month where the servers are notably laggy, i never encounter any issue with break free.
    Aznox
    PC EU
    Khajiit Orc Bosmer Stamina Sorcerer and Werewolf Stage 3 Vampire
    I live in Battlegrounds
    Theorycrafting enthusiast
    Official Cheese Lord
    CP1500+ club
  • Kel
    Kel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm talking about breaking free of talons, having the cost come off my stamina bar, yet I haven't broken free at all while I'm still getting whipped in my back by a DK. I'm talking about getting feared, breaking free and standing still until the animation goes off and having a few seconds where I can't move or hit any buttons.
    I fully understand the mechanics. Sometimes it just doesn't work.
    Yes, I have submitted bug reports. And I'm not the only one with this issue. (PS4 EU)
    Just because you haven't experienced it doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Glad you haven't, honestly. It's frustrating.
    Edited by Kel on April 23, 2018 12:22PM
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm talking about breaking free of talons, having the cost come off my stamina bar, yet I haven't broken free at all while I'm still getting whipped in my back by a DK.....
    I fully understand the mechanics.

You can't break free of talons, though--I think that's the confusion people are having with your narrative here.

But yeah, CC has been kinda buggy this patch. Not as bugged-out as it's been in some past patches, but I get a few unbreakable CCs an hour, and a few barswap locks, etc. etc.
    Thrice Empress, Forever Scrub
  • Aznox
    Aznox
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I am playing on a high-end PC with fiber internet, so if you are saying you have regular lags preventing you from breaking free as soon as possible, i believe you.

Does not change the fact you are trying to break free from a root, which is impossible.
    Aznox
    PC EU
    I live in Battlegrounds
    Official Cheese Lord
    CP1500+ club
  • Kel
    Kel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aznox wrote: »

I am playing on a high-end PC with fiber internet, so if you are saying you have regular lags preventing you from breaking free as soon as possible, i believe you.

Does not change the fact you are trying to break free from a root, which is impossible.

I knew what your response was going to be before I checked it...
    I don't understand your salt, but yes, ok..can't break free from a root...got ya. Doesn't mean fear is being wonky, doesn't change the fact it's an issue breaking free of a knock down.
    Still doesn't change the fact I'm not alone in this issue, nor is it a "console pleb" issue.
    That fact hasn't changed either.
    /shrug
    You're not helping, you're only being salty.
    Thanks, I guess. You win...I don't know what...be you can move on being happy you won.
    Congrats..... :#
    Edited by Kel on April 23, 2018 1:15PM
  • Aznox
    Aznox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why would i be salty ?

I'm just giving a bit of my time to share knowledge about game mechanics so you can enjoy the game more (and admittedly in the hope to reduce the amount of uninformed posts on this forum)

Consoles represent a large portion of this game user-base an revenue and deserve the best experience that is possible to provide, but regarding problems that are not mechanics related, i can't offer anything more than my sincere sympathy :/

Aznox
    PC EU
    I live in Battlegrounds
    Official Cheese Lord
    CP1500+ club
  • Kel
    Kel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're of the opinion that it hasn't happened to you personally, so it doesn't exsist. Despite the fact that in this thread (as well as others) it's been mentioned that break free has been an issue since this patch, across all platforms.
    Any futher response to you will be a pointless waste of time, you have your mind made up and nothing will change it...Unless it happens to you personally, that is. Truly glad it hasn't been an issue for you so far. Hope that continues to be the case.
    Brushing off an issue because you haven't experienced it helps no one, however.

• Aznox
    Aznox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're of the opinion that it hasn't happened to you personally, so it doesn't exsist.
    I never said this, if i wasn't clear and you understood that way, then i am sorry.

Aznox wrote: »
    I meant this, i work in IT and i know problems don't happen server side only, client (PC/Console) and the connection between them are a frequent source for problems. Again, i'm not discharging ZoS in anyway as i have no idea where in the chain your (and others like you) problem is originated.

Aznox
    PC EU
    I live in Battlegrounds
    Official Cheese Lord
    CP1500+ club
  • Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are a lot of bugs with knockbacks at present... really it’s any CC with a 2 part animation. Javelin, draining shot, fear, and vamp stun are the ones I’m currently aware of.

Breaking free during the first animation will not do anything... because if the first part of the CC could give immunity then there wouldn’t BE a second part to the CC. It’s lazy coding, and it usually isn’t a problem. But when it gets laggy and that first part of the animation drags on longer than usual, a small problem becomes a big problem.
    PC NA - @dazkt - Dazk Ardoonkt / Sir Thogalot / Dask Dragoh’t / Dazk Dragoh’t / El Thogardo

Stream: twitch.tv/THOGARDvsThePeasants
    YouTube: http://youtube.com/c/thogardpvp

• wheem_ESO
    wheem_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What I really hate is when a CC lands without any indication, and my character just stops responding. This sort of a delay happens constantly with Fear and Incap, but is also somewhat common with Dawnbreaker. There's also been an issue lately where trying to break free when you don't quite have enough stamina will cause the character to stand up as though they've broken free, but remain CC'd. If you realize that in time, you can probably break free after another tick of regen (assuming you're still alive), but if you think you're in the clear because your character pops up, it can get annoying when your spells and abilities don't fire off as expected.
  • LokoMatic
    LokoMatic
    ✭✭✭
    At least on the Xbox I can vouch that there are issues with break free. It doesn't happen too often, but there are several times a night where I'll have full stam and am unable to break free accordingly. I have written it off it's been occurring mostly after the last update.
    Harbingers of Death
    Poison Injection
    Cp 910+

Dark Elf DK - Grand Overlord - (Xbox) NA - 129K Kills
    Orc Stamblade - Level 10 (Xbox)
    Argonian Templar - Level 23 (PC) (Auriels Bow Graduate (Retired))