The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Lore recommendations please

Kesarai
Kesarai
✭✭
I have been playing for a few months now and briefly played Skyrim years ago and am looking for good books I can read for Lore background/history and reference. I have googled as well as hit Amazon but get different suggestions, some of which are not at all relevant. So I thought perhaps I could just ask the experts and get suggestions/recommendations.

I do have a wide variety of characters so would like something that gives basically the history of the world we live in (ESO) leading up to the present day, if possible.

Thank you : )
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a YouTube series by Shoddy Cast which is pretty good at basic information.

Otherwise the best place would be UESP as they've been collecting and compiling information from all the games for years.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Imperial Library is probably a more comprehensive site than UESP, which just reflects the in-game content. TIL has interviews with developers etc. to add to the background info.

On the other hand, the canon/non-canon issues are stronger there, too.
  • Kesarai
    Kesarai
    ✭✭
    Thank you for the information and recommendations. I will check these out for sure.

Safe Travels!
  • notimetocare
    notimetocare
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ghastley wrote: »
    The Imperial Library is probably a more comprehensive site than UESP, which just reflects the in-game content. TIL has interviews with developers etc. to add to the background info.

On the other hand, the canon/non-canon issues are stronger there, too.

This one. Hands down, but keep in mind the nature of first-hand and second-hand accounts. What you see is not always fact but often propaganda
  • LadyNerevar
    LadyNerevar
    ✭✭✭
    If you're looking for something physical rather than a website, the Tales of Tamriel compilation is very nice. It also has the added benefit of including *only* ESO works, so you won't be confused by events that happen later on in the timeline.

I'm also going to plug my How to Become a Lore Buff guide, which curates various books and sources across the whole series to create a sort of introductory must-read list.
    Librarian at the Imperial Library
  • Merlian
    Merlian
    ✭✭✭
    If you're looking for something physical rather than a website, the Tales of Tamriel compilation is very nice. It also has the added benefit of including *only* ESO works, so you won't be confused by events that happen later on in the timeline.

I'm also going to plug my How to Become a Lore Buff guide, which curates various books and sources across the whole series to create a sort of introductory must-read list.

As mentioned above me Tales of Tamriel are a great set of books if you want to read about ESO lore. I have them and love reading the different passages, although be aware that if I remember correctly they are all from Lore Books that can be found and read in game.

Also @LadyNerevar 's guide is AWESOME! If you want a place to start, that is the place to do it. Just start reading, find something that interests you and go from there.

Personally I cannot recommend UESP enough. It was how I learned almost everything I know about The Elder Scrolls Lore. Just pick something you are interested in (say the mages guild for example) and read that article and than you can click on something else you are interested in (like maybe you want to know more about Necromancy) and just let it snowball from there.

Edited by Merlian on April 7, 2018 7:09PM
    PC NA
    |Merlian Nightstalker| - DC Imperial Magicka Dragonknight
    |Nix Nightstalker| - EP Imperial Stamina Sorccer
    |Kragdin Longrock| - DC Imperial Stamina Templar
    |Zane Killian| - EP Dunmer Magicka Nightblade
    |Alyia Bekker| - DC Breton Magicka Warden
    "If the job were easy, it wouldn't be any fun!"
  • Kesarai
    Kesarai
    ✭✭
    Oh that is awesome! Thanks tons to both of you & yes, I was also looking for something physical to read when I have the time but not able to be at the computer.

I have also bookmarked your guide @LadyNerevar to read through when I have time as well.

Safe Travels ...
  • Aldorexi
    Aldorexi
    Soul Shriven
    https://elderlore.wordpress.com/ Gives this a ago, learned a lot from this podcast and unlike shoddy cast it doesn't stick to one point of view