The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

How can I link my steam account to an Elder Scrolls Online account?

Härjann
Härjann
Soul Shriven
Hey guys, I'll explain some things first:
1. I bought TESO: Imperial edition on 01/01/2016 by Steam.
2. I returned two months ago.
3. I purchased TESO: Summerset on 22/03/2018 by Steam (and I should have Morrowind too).
4. My steam account recognizes that I have TESO (base game), the Morrowind expansion and the prepurchase of Summerset but everytime I log in to the game, I can't create a warden or go to the Morrowind area.
5. I tried to link both accounts following the support instructions (https://help.elderscrollsonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/36517/)
6. I deleted and reinstalled the game twice and I couldn't link my accounts because I'm getting this error: "Login Error: Login Timeout".
7. I found a support topic called: "What do I do if I get an error stating "Login Error: Login Timeout" when logging into The Elder Scrolls Online?"
8. I followed the six steps to solve this (I don't play on a Mac), but I still can't link both accounts and if I log in without steam, the game doesn't recognize any expansion.

So, what can I do? I really want to play this holidays but I'm stuck and I'm starting to get sick of this. The English isn't my mother language, so let me know if I need to rewrite something. Thanks.

Best Answers

• Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    But you said above that purchases of the base game and Summerset were both on Steam. So, there is no other account to “link”.

Have you tried contacting Steam?

The support ticket response above is what we’d expect ... they really can’t help if you’re having issues logging in through Steam.
    Answer ✓
  • SecretJoy
    SecretJoy
    ✭✭✭
    But you said above that purchases of the base game and Summerset were both on Steam. So, there is no other account to “link”.

Have you tried contacting Steam?

The support ticket response above is what we’d expect ... they really can’t help if you’re having issues logging in through Steam.

This is correct. If you made all of your purchases through Steam, it shouldn't have anything to do with linking accounts.

Since you made your purchases through Steam, you will always have to log in via Steam to access the expansions and any additional content.

There is no way to link your accounts so that you can log in with the Bethseda launcher and access your Steam content.

Everything has to be done through Steam. Any future Chapters, your ESO+ account, crowns, etc.

If you are having an issue logging into Steam, then you will have to submit a ticket with Steam and not here.
    Answer ✓
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Correct me if I read this wrong, but you purchased both the base game and Summerset through Steam?

If "yes", this isn't an issue with linking ... since the base game was not bought outside of Steam.

If that's the case, time to start a help ticket with ZOS so that you can get in and play Morrowind.

Be sure to list your ticket number so a friendly forum mod can move it along for you ...
  • Härjann
    Härjann
    Soul Shriven
    That's right. I purchased both through Steam.
    I tried to submit a ticket but I couldn't find where at the support section.
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @Härjann

To submit a support ticket you'll need to log in to the support portal and click on "Additional Support."

If you are unable to log into the ESO support website, you can contact us by following the steps below:
    1. Visit the account recovery page and select your platform, your Userid, and the appropriate option in the drop down for "Issue Type."
    2. Fill out the form to the best of your ability. If you are currently using a different email than the one that is associated with your ESO game account, please enter that in the Your Current Email Address line.
    3. Enter what you can remember about your account in the Account Ownership Verification fields.
    4. Attach any proof of purchase you may have to the form.
    5. In the Describe Your Problem in Detail box, please include the email address that is currently associated with your ESO game account and a brief description of your issue.
    6. When you have finished filling out the form, click the Submit button at the bottom of the page.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • Härjann
    Härjann
    Soul Shriven
    I submited a ticket with screenshots of my steam purchase history and the Game consultant report. Here's the ticket number #180327-002083.
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @Härjann

We've sent you a PM with an update on your support ticket.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • Härjann
    Härjann
    Soul Shriven
    I'm back asking for any help. Is there anything I can do to succesfully link my Steam account to my TESO account or should I forget about playing this game? I couldn't solve my problem with two support topics and after 5 days waiting for a ticket response, I got this:

"The Elder Scrolls Online Team message: 04/01/2018 02:45 PM
    Hello!
    Thank you for reaching out to support regarding your purchases for ESO. If you purchase any content for ESO via Steam, you must log in via Steam to access this content. Due the purchases being only through the Steam platform, if you sign in to the game any other way, it will not show as part of your account. This is working as designed.
    RJ S.
    The Elder Scrolls Online Support"

So, I'm not sure if they read my question, if there's nothing I can do to link both accounts or if the "login timeout" is "working as designed".
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you logging in through Steam, @Härjann, as the ticket says?

Is the only issue now your access to Morrowind?
  • Härjann
    Härjann
    Soul Shriven
    No, I can't log in via Steam. That's why I need to link both accounts. The only way I can play is log in is via the Bethesda launcher.
    Well, I can't access to Morrowind, the warden class, the mount for prepurchase Summerset and I'm afraid I will not be able to suscribe to ESO+.
  • Härjann
    Härjann
    Soul Shriven
    Oh, now I understand why I couldn't link both accounts and play via Steam. Thanks for pointing that out, I came from WoW and this is a whole new world to me.

I'll try to contact Steam support and I'll continue writing here so we can have a "guide" for future gamers with the same issue.

Thanks for your time @SecretJoy and @Taleof2Cities ;)

Update

Steam does not provide any help for this game. I found a discussion topic on steam and it's an issue from some years ago. I couldn't find a way to solve it, so I asked for a refund and purchased everything for Bethesda.com. Now I can play and I even have an ESO+ membership.
    Edited by Härjann on April 15, 2018 6:20AM