The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Having a problem with refining and deconstruction in blacksmithing

bclemons76
I am level 14, and playing on a PC. I decided to get into blacksmithing. I have successfully made an iron dagger, but I had to use iron ingots from a level reward. When I try to refine the ore I have collected (I have around 20) or deconstruct any item I have (including the newly made iron dagger), my character just pounds away at the station with no result. I have selected either the refining or deconstruct tab, then dragged the item to the square. When I press R to make it happen, I just get a "boing" sound. What am I doing wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don't think you have to drag the item. I never did that when I played on PC. All I do is click on the item from the left side of the screen - a check mark shows up on it - an image fills the decon square, you press whatever button to decon (I play on XB now, so it's A), then it decons it.

Same with refining. Just click on the name of the item in the left side of the screen, then click the indicated button to refine it. No dragging/dropping is necessary.
    Edited by Jayne_Doe on March 26, 2018 5:05PM
  • bclemons76
    Thanks for answering. All of my crafting stuff shows on the right side. Left click does nothing. I can right click and choose add. The ore or weapon shows up in the little window in the bottom center of the screen under the words "refine material" or "deconstruct weapon", but nothing ever happens. I've walked off and left it until my account logs off. Still, nothing happens.
  • bclemons76
    Underneath the image of the weapon or ore, it says press R to refine or X to clear selections. R makes the boing sound, and X clears the selection.
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's been a while since I played on PC, and even when I did, I used a controller, even before they added controller support (used a third party program).

In any event, once the item shows up in the window and you click R to refine and it makes the sound, do you not see in the upper right corner of the screen (or maybe it's another part of the screen on PC), a scroll showing what you got from refining? Is the amount of refined materials not being reduced?

If not, then there may be a bug. Maybe there's someone else who plays on PC and uses the PC interface (not the gamepad interface) who can help you.
    Edited by Jayne_Doe on March 26, 2018 5:47PM
  • Marginis
    Marginis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also, if you are an ESO+ subscriber, the ingots may go directly to your craft bag, so you won't see them in your normal inventory.
    @Marginis on PC, Senpai Fluffy on Xbox, Founder of Magicka. Also known as Kha'jiri, The Night Mother, Ma'iq, Jane Shepard, Damia, Kintyra, Zoor Do Kest, You, and a few others.
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
  • bclemons76
    I'm uploading a video and will link it shortly.
  • bclemons76
  • bclemons76
    I do appreciate the input. The amount of ore doesn't go down, no ingots appear anywhere, and I am not a subscriber.
  • rhapsodious
    rhapsodious
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your inventory is full. If you don't have ESO Plus and by proxy the craft bag, you have no room to put those ingots.

e: at 1:41 you can see "You need 4 additional open inventory slots."
    Edited by rhapsodious on March 26, 2018 7:22PM
  • bclemons76
    Ahhh, I will get rid of some things and try again.
  • bclemons76
    Well, I feel like a bonehead. That worked, thank you all very much.
  • Marginis
    Marginis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Problem solving, the ESO way. :P
    @Marginis on PC, Senpai Fluffy on Xbox, Founder of Magicka. Also known as Kha'jiri, The Night Mother, Ma'iq, Jane Shepard, Damia, Kintyra, Zoor Do Kest, You, and a few others.
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Glad you uploaded a video so someone could see and tell you what the issue was. Glad it's resolved for you so you can get to crafting. :smile:
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Be prepared to hit the same problem when you start making items. You'll have a stack of materials taking up a single slot of inventory that will turn into multiple pieces of equipment taking up a slot each, and you can't stack them even though they're identical. Or you'll attempt to deconstruct an item that was dropped, and it will become several material items you don't currently have, and take up more room.

Always clear out some space before you go to the crafting station. About the only thing you can do that won't take more space is research.
    Edited by ghastley on April 3, 2018 5:23PM
  • IndianaGeoff
    IndianaGeoff
    ✭✭✭
    I can't imagine crafting without eso plus.