The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Which race has the best farmers?

King_Kaboodles
I want to make a character that loves to grow plants for consumption, but im having trouble figuring out which race would be the best at that. I thought bosmer at first but they arent really farmers, they seem more like carnivorous protectors of flora.

I know it silly but I would like a little RP value in my main character.

Any help would be great and thank you in advance.

Best Answer

• emilyhyoyeon
    emilyhyoyeon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I think no race is a particular farming race. Khajiit might be a good choice because of the moon sugar plantations as someone already mentioned, but I think any race except Green Pact bosmer would be a fine choice. I think social class for example has more of an effect on the farming interest than race
    Zirasia Firemaker, imperial fire mage & sunbather _ Deebaba Soul-Weaver, argonian spirit minder & soul gem collector
    Tullanisse Starborne, altmer battlemage noble & ayleid researcher _ Qa'Rirra, khajiit assassin & dancer
    Answer ✓
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am thinking pretty much anything except for a Bosmer.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Bosmer are a hard nope, unless you want to play a heretic, of course.
    We see a lot of family farms in all the territories, except maybe Alikr and Shadowfen. We also see Imperial, dunmer, and Khajiit plantations.
  • Dhukath
    Dhukath
    ✭✭✭
    Dunmer - grow massive mushrooms
    Khajiit - grow sugar cane for moon-sugar
  • Skander
    Skander
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Argonians, ask the dunmers
    Edited by Skander on March 25, 2018 10:34PM
    I meme, but my memes are so truthful they hurt
    -Elder Nightblades Online
    Want competitive pvp while being outnumbered? Tough luck, the devs clearly said you have to die in those situations
  • WuffyCerulei
    WuffyCerulei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Well, Argonians are connected to plants...so I wanna say them.
    For the love of Kyne, buff sorc. PC NACP 2100+Star-Sïnger - Khajiit Magicka Sorc - EP Grand Overlord - Flawless Conqueror vMA/vBRP/vDSA no death/vHel Ra HM/vAA HM/vSO HM/vMoL HM/vHoF HM/vAS +2/vCR+3/vSS HMs/vKA HMs/vVH/vRG Oax HM/vDSR
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Khajiit and Argonians make for great farmhands.
  • tyjoie
    tyjoie
    ✭✭
    Bosmer are as far away from farmers as it's possible to get in the Elder Scrolls.
    I'd say any of the races bar the Bosmer(carnivorous), Altmer and Redguards are pretty good farmers.
    Notable races though I'd say would be.
    Bretons - living in a largely feudal society, if you're not noble, you're probobly a farmer.
    Khajiit - Moonsugar plays quite a large role in their culture(primary export).
    Nords - Are able to overcome their harsh climate and produce enough food.

Edited by tyjoie on March 27, 2018 11:58AM
    Ex-Beta tester
    Playing since 2014
    Still a noob
    Green-Sap Loyalist
  • Ommy71
    Ommy71
    ✭✭✭
    Korean :)
    ommyy - Stamblade - Brigadier - Master Angler - Former Emperor - All trophies Done - Stormproof - 27400 Achievement Points....
    PC-EU
  • BladeStew
    BladeStew
    ✭✭
    Argonians for sure. I was so struck in Morrowind (original) to find out that they were being used as slaves.
  • Highlor3
    Highlor3
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dunmer have the best farmers: slaves.
    Edited by Highlor3 on March 29, 2018 10:40AM
    [PC-NA] CP 1400+ The Conquest of Tamriel, UESP & Taverna do Mestre
    The Scientia Consortium:
    • Rodbertus Quercus, Imperial, Dragonknight [EP]
    • Robert Bethencourt, Breton, Templar [DC]
    • Karlindah Telvanni, Dunmer, Sorcerer [AD]
    • Hejthuxis (former Raises-Her-Rear), Argonian, Nightblade [EP]
    • Limeril Bravewind, Altmer, Warden [AD]
    • Isilarelen, Dunmer, Dragonknight [EP]
    • Elindael, Bosmer, Warden [AD]
    • Hrodberaht Bright-Fame, "Nordguard", Warden [EP]
    • Ra'Kham, Khajiit, Nightblade [DC]
    • Brazilia gra-Bagol, Orsimer, Dragonknight [EP]
    • Nirrah al-Hegathe, Redguard, Necromancer [DC]
    • Theodora Quercus, Imperial, Templar [DC]
    • Cuddles-In-The-Water, Argonian, Templar [EP]
    • Cainneach the Pale, Reachman, Necromancer [AD]
    • Dughlas af-Fearley, Redguard, Sorcerer [DC]
    • Roze Cloturier, Breton, Arcanist [AD]
    • Alvyrspic the Remnant, Nord, Arcanist [DC]
    [PC-EU] No CP THE CAPS ARMY
    • Adaltos Indoril, Dunmer, Templar [EP]
    • Geralt of Evermore, Breton, Nightblade [DC]
    • Feainneweedd, Altmer, Sorcerer [AD]
    • Robert Cloturier-Baudiae, Breton, Arcanist [DC]
    • M'ahnurr the Elusive, Khajiit, Arcanist [AD]
  • MythicEmperor
    MythicEmperor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Highlor3 wrote: »

B’vehk, some enlightened f’lah beat me to it!
    With cold regards,
    Mythic

Favorite Characters:
    Kilith Telvayn, Dunmer Telvanni Sorcerer (main)
    Kilith, Dunmer Magblade (old main)
    Vadusa Venim, Dunmer crafter (older main)
    Hir Hlaalu, Dunmer Warden
    Søren Icehelm, N'wah Warden
    Fargoth of Morrowind, Bosmer commoner
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't discount the Bosmer. They may not farm for their own food, but would be good at encouraging plants to grow as fodder for animals. Since many plants produce fruits specifically to encourage animals to help them propagate, that would be within their ethos, too. They're opposed to harming trees/plants, not against helping them.
  • Lokryn
    Lokryn
    ✭✭✭✭
    Skander wrote: »
    Argonians, ask the dunmers

^^
  • carljokl
    carljokl
    ✭✭✭
    I would pick Argonians as they have a spiritual connection with nature particularly the binding to the hist.
    My Characters

Xargothius: Breton - JOAT / Magsorc | Orchid the Fair: Orismer - Crafter / Heavy Tank | Voneri Vox: Dunmer - Magplar Healer | Rexorgiana: Imperial - Temptress / Magblade
    Phirkius: Altmer - MagSorc | Rexorigus: Imperial - Med Tank / StamKnight | Sven Svedishchef: Nord - Provisioner / Stamplar | Finds-All-Fungi: Argonian - Alchemist/ Stamblade
    Emerald-Wild-Guard: Bosmer - Wyrd / StamSorc | Nates Datum Festi: Imperial - Light Tank / StamKnight | Magnolia Desert-Blossom: Redguard - 2 Handed Stamplar | Shadow-Softpaw: Khajiit - StamBlade
    Sorcerer | Dragon Knight | Templar | Night Blade
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Orcs
  • blackhairblonde_pl
    blackhairblonde_pl
    Soul Shriven
    I would rule out Bosmer because of the culture and Redguards and Nords because of climate (yeah, they probably can grow something, but farming in their lands is rather a funny, eccentric hobby :D )
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would rule out Bosmer because of the culture and Redguards and Nords because of climate (yeah, they probably can grow something, but farming in their lands is rather a funny, eccentric hobby :D )

Rorikstead and the Battleborns of Whiterun might have something to say about that. Actually there's quite a lot of farming in Skyrim, even up by Windhelm.
  • Tucker3711
    Tucker3711
    ✭✭✭
    Nords are pretty good farmers, In fact most races are... But the imperials... I really doubt they know the difference between a potato and a turnip... Or the Dwemers (While They Existed) They like machines not living things...
    @Tucker311- PC
    Tucker3711
    Nord Beth Rose (EP)
    Imperial Freya Var (DC)
    High Elf Hestia du foyer (AD)
    Wood Elf Epona Caoin (AD)
    Hotstuff Queen
  • Horker
    Horker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Orcs,
    Read the wrobel post in my signature.
    ROSES ARE RED, VIOLETS ARE BLUE, TRINIMAC IS DEAD, MALACATH IS TRUE
  • Marginis
    Marginis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Horker wrote: »
    Orcs,
    Read the wrobel post in my signature.

Oddly, I was thinking about the Orsimer as a legitimate answer to this post when I came in here. Orcs are actually quite resourceful when it comes to agriculture. I think a lot of people misunderstand them in the game, thinking of them as brutish nomads, just like one might misinterpret Nords as those dumb hardy drunkard types. I think honestly the answer comes down to what kind of farmer someone is looking for.
    @Marginis on PC, Senpai Fluffy on Xbox, Founder of Magicka. Also known as Kha'jiri, The Night Mother, Ma'iq, Jane Shepard, Damia, Kintyra, Zoor Do Kest, You, and a few others.