The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Hard Mode in all vet trials should not be permanent once activated.

• FakeFox
    FakeFox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    They have added the option for a toggle after Craglorn however never introduced it retroactively. Pretty annoying, but I don't think this will change any time soon, it's just not important enough I would guess.

I never have seen anyone abusing this before, however activating hardmode
    accidentally or forgetting to do so happens quite regularly to me.
    EU/PC (GER) - Healermain since 2014 - 50305 Achievement Points - Youtube (PvE Healing Guides, Builds & Gameplay)
  • AbbieGoth
    AbbieGoth
    ✭✭
    @anitajoneb17_ESO

*waves* Hello! I am an officer of the guild that this happened in. While I was not present in the trial run itself, I saw this happen in real time. The full screenshot was posted in our Discord by a fellow officer, and this cropped version of just the chat was actually provided by me. I have to say, I'm amazed how fast this is going around.

No, he was not paid the gold. Yes, they had to start over. I wasn't even there and I was absolutely livid. I logged in solely for the purpose of adding this *** to my block list, and added him to the guild's blacklist. His deeds have been made well known to everyone we can in the guild, and we are all hoping he doesn't manage to sneak his way back in.

And yes, he has changed his UserID in the two days time this happened. If anybody wants to know what it is, if you hadn't added him already, do please send me a private message, as I cannot say it here.
    PC/NA Server - Max CP
    [AD] Kazhiana - Stam DK Tank
    [AD] Clan Mother Kitta-Ko - Magplar Healer
    vAA | vHRC | vSO+HM
    #KhajiitMasterRace
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AbbieGoth wrote: »
    @anitajoneb17_ESO

*waves* Hello! I am an officer of the guild that this happened in. While I was not present in the trial run itself, I saw this happen in real time. The full screenshot was posted in our Discord by a fellow officer, and this cropped version of just the chat was actually provided by me. I have to say, I'm amazed how fast this is going around.

Why tag me ? :-)
    To make things clear, I never doubted the story, and I firmly condemn this sort of behaviour, which is absolutely horrible.
    The only thing I was careful with is that it should not be described as a common behaviour or as a recurrent risk - even with PUGs. It does NOT happen frequently and it is entirely possible that it has only happened once in the entire game history.

We've all had a couple of stories of HM activated by mistake, as a joke or as some nasty trolling. But BLACKMAIL FOR GOLD ? You mention it yourself : the culprit changed his @ID soonish and will be outcast by the entire raiding community soonish if he tries that again. The vet raiding community is rather small in ESO.

That being said, there are plenty of good reasons why HM should be able to be activated and deactivated back and forth. Your story being one of them.
  • AbbieGoth
    AbbieGoth
    ✭✭
    I can absolutely support all the other reasons people have provided, nor am I trying to pass this on as normal behavior. This was the first time I have ever seen a player try to extort a group like this. I was simply posting that this was indeed a real thing that happened, and wanted to make it clear to those who were wondering about it. (Ngl I was mainly drawn by your initial "friend of a cousin of a guildie of the brother of my uncle-in-law." comment, ahaha. Which prompted me to post in the first place.)
    PC/NA Server - Max CP
    [AD] Kazhiana - Stam DK Tank
    [AD] Clan Mother Kitta-Ko - Magplar Healer
    vAA | vHRC | vSO+HM
    #KhajiitMasterRace
  • Mureel
    Mureel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    joshcrum wrote: »
    This thread is intended to point out that there is a lot of discrepancy between the trials in how Hard Mode is dealt with, specifically in regards to whether or not it is permanent once activated or if it can be toggled off. This thread is also intended to point out a very toxic method some players are utilizing to exploit this, and that is the point I will start with...

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/280462306398437376/426398793756311552/TOXIC.jpg

This is a player threatening to activate Hard Mode in vAA unless they are paid 20k gold from the other 11 group members. I reluctantly decided to hide the player's name because of suggestions to do so here in the forum, although this person simply does not deserve that particular courtesy. I have seen this happen many times during the years I have played ESO, and it is extremely toxic and destructive to the community. Such a thing should not be allowed to happen, and it is possible only because the Craglorn trials have no way of deactivating Hard Mode on the current run.

I have been told that all newer trials have a method of toggling Hard Mode on or off, but I am not sure about that since I have no actual experience with it. However it would make perfect sense to change the Hard Mode activation of trials to be exactly like dungeons. Have a scroll or some other interactive object in the boss room which must be activated to initiate Hard Mode on every attempt. Or simply have the same interactive object in the boss room, but it can be activated to toggle Hard Mode on or off. Regardless of which style is chosen, all standard trials (Asylum Sanctorium not included) should utilize the same method to create a standard for Hard Mode activation.
    Boot him tF out. Buh bye!
  • Mureel
    Mureel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    joshcrum wrote: »
    Astrid_V wrote: »
    Turelus wrote: »
    Agreed there should be a reset.

However solution there is to kick that person, black list then and sadly suck it up if you have to do AA again.

Better solution is to NOT pug vet trials with strangers...

In a guild of 500 people, how many of those "guildies" are strangers? The answer is 75-90% depending on the guild. This could happen to any group filling one or two group spots. All of us only have a relatively small group of people we actually know well in game, and I have personally experienced some of them go drama queen and turn their back on everyone else.

How many actual raiding/progression guilds do you know of with 500 members?
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mureel wrote: »
    How many actual raiding/progression guilds do you know of with 500 members?

Actually, yes. They're not raiding/progression guilds per se, but they're big guilds which built up a raiding group. When members are missing on raiding evenings, they open up to non-core-group guild members. That's when this kind of situation can arise.
  • Matthros
    Matthros
    ✭✭✭
    Hello I am new to the forums but I thought it would be a good idea to have a change put in place to only allow the Crown to activate HM. This would help prevent this type of extortion.
  • karekiz
    karekiz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sounds like dude is lonely IRL if hes wasting time begging in a game
    Edited by karekiz on April 30, 2018 8:40PM
  • WreckfulAbandon
    WreckfulAbandon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't even really do trials or PvE but if you PM me this person's name I will do my part in excluding them and making their in game time more uncomfortable (at least in Cyrodiil)
    PC NA

All my comments are regarding PvP