The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Warden tanky ice mage help

Jade1986
Jade1986
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
I need some serious help with this toon in pvp. Like, sshe works flawlessly in PVE , but pvp, its like what the actual smurf?! So if someone could give me a few pointers, thatd be great.

Also, posts that say reroll or some other non helpful nonsense will just be reported. Just a quick disclaimer.
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you trying to get a tank feeling out of the class in PvP as well or more damage based role?

If you haven't already you should look at getting Impenetrable traits on your gear as this will cut down on incoming damage from players critical hits. Additionally there are CP stars for critical defence and one which makes light/heavy attacks do less damage.

I'm not up to date on any specific builds for Warden in PvP I'm afraid so can't really help past the general advice above.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Jade1986
    Jade1986
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Turelus wrote: »
    Are you trying to get a tank feeling out of the class in PvP as well or more damage based role?

If you haven't already you should look at getting Impenetrable traits on your gear as this will cut down on incoming damage from players critical hits. Additionally there are CP stars for critical defence and one which makes light/heavy attacks do less damage.

I'm not up to date on any specific builds for Warden in PvP I'm afraid so can't really help past the general advice above.

She is a tank in pvp, straight up. But in pvp, the whole tank thing doesnt really work for warden ice builds. So, I want to get a diff set of gear and set up to kind of become more damage oriented while being tanky. If that makes sense. And A good set of abilities to use would be helpful too, because lets face it, the ice attacks in this game are atrocious.
  • White wabbit
    White wabbit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Shalks , Dawnbreaker and Steel Tornado that's all I see from Stam Wardens , not a lot of mag wardens in PvP as they are pretty weak
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alcast has a Stamina PvP build up on his site which is for the current game version.
    https://alcasthq.com/eso-stamina-warden-pvp-build

Not sure how much you would need to change out to switch from tank to damage each time you changed activities but it might be a good starting point.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Gralor
    Gralor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought about it carefully, made up my mind and came to only one logical conclusion: Reroll.

Please elaborate your question before expecting help.
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's her build?

CP, stats, gear, etc.

You could make it work, I might have some crazy ideas.
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Want a mag warden for PvP that's primarily frost damage?

Well that's exactly what I'm using right now!

What I'm using right now is:
    Winterborn x5
    Skoria x2
    Necropotence x4

Ice staff/resto staff

Elemntal Blockade, Destructive Reach, Fletcher Flies, Dampen Magic, and Shalk. Ult Northern Storm

Bird o Prey, Bull Netch, Trellis, Healing Ward, Accelerated Drain, ult Life's Champion

I primarily do BGs.

You'll snare, root, and hard CC everything on cool down. Your proc sets and dots will kill.

It's very effective, I'm on the leaderboards with it.

I'm tempted to try and fit mist form...
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Custos91
    Custos91
    ✭✭✭
    I just made a pvp build for my magwarden with
    3 pieces ancient grace
    5 pieces necropotence
    2 pieces tremorscale
    Master ice staff
    Maelstrom resto staff

I get it up to 57k magicka, however I am a little bit struggling with it right now xD

front is
    destructive reach, fetcher flies morph, crystalized slab, harness ult is northern storm
    backbar is
    ice fortres, betty netch, shalks, healing ward, mutagen and ice comet
    Edited by Custos91 on March 20, 2018 4:32PM
    Warden Main apparently... 7 Wardens currently, otherwise a healer of every class.
    Mostly active in No CP PVP on EU, blaming the buffbot meta in pve.
    I want to feel like I am saving somebodies life, not like I am carrying amunition for them...
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Custos91 wrote: »
    I just made a pvp build for my magwarden with
    3 pieces ancient grace
    5 pieces necropotence
    2 pieces tremorscale
    Master ice staff
    Maelstrom resto staff

I get it up to 57k magicka, however I am a little bit struggling with it right now xD

front is
    destructive reach, fetcher flies morph, crystalized slab, harness ult is northern storm
    backbar is
    ice fortres, betty netch, shalks, healing ward, mutagen and ice comet

Let me guess: sustain and landing the hits?

After the nerfs and with new sets, tremorscale is not a viable choice. Skoria or Caluurion are going to be better choices now that Fletcher can proc either.

You can replace tremorscale with skoria and just rely less on heavies. Or you can swap grace+ tremorscale for Caluurion.

Anything else would require a different set choice over all.

And with ice mage remember blockade roots on cooldown when an enemy is chilled. I've rooted whole groups with blockade
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Custos91
    Custos91
    ✭✭✭
    I see your build is superior hands down xD
    I just made mine 2 days ago and got very mixed results - it was intended for CP pvp, but the amount of dodging in CP pvp makes it very hard to make use of it.

That makes the sustain bad.
    And from there things go downhill pretty fast xD

However:
    At least you get 30k tooltip on scorching flare for this, do if you want to go to the imperial city with big shields and burn some nightblades it might work xD

I am the last person that would not test another setup @Waffennacht , just last week I completed vMoL on my stam heal warden and I have been a pain in the ass for my guild (sorry guys xD) with testing and comming up with loads of builds and setups recently^^

Sooooo, lets talk your build^^

Really bull netch? why?
    I guess you don't try to get a high uptime on bird of prey and rather use it when you engage a group / land a burst, right?
    the 10 sec duration along with the high (sort of) cost has always been an issue for me^^

Hmm, skoria + Calurion seems like a reaaaaaly annoying set combo, however is is pretty random... might try it anyways (as it happens I have full divine calurions^^)
    Warden Main apparently... 7 Wardens currently, otherwise a healer of every class.
    Mostly active in No CP PVP on EU, blaming the buffbot meta in pve.
    I want to feel like I am saving somebodies life, not like I am carrying amunition for them...
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Custos91 Bull Netch because it provides the major buffs and returns stamina, when dealing with cost poisons I want 1000 Stam Regen. With Bull + Bird of Prey and Passives I reach approximately 1k Stam Regen. I'll always be able to CC break on cool down.

Another added benefit of Bull Netch is it allows you to continue sprinting even with an empty Stam bar, you can imagine how that is helpful in BGs.

I keep bird up 100%, just bar swap cancel when needed, trellis is used less often and usually only when I'm being pressured - I am considering switching it for mist form in BGs.

With my build I don't focus on burst, I focus on CCs and keeping up Dots. Skoria and Winterborn do the burst for me.

Caluurion is very very reliable, especially on a mag warden. Reach + Flies means even with a 25% crit chance it'll proc on cooldown or a single GCD after cooldown.

For my build skoria and Caluurion will proc almost the same amount depending on circumstances. I just don't have a Caluurion head or shoulders. If I did, I'd be running Caluurion + winterborn + 1 Domi. It'd have better stats and could even run a master backbar. (But don't have that either)

Caluurion + Skoria would be another good set up. Caluurion would allow for Necro x4 or something like Lich or Riposte or Transmutation backbar. I love all of these sets pretty equally. If I had lich resto I dunno if I'd ever not use it.

But the premise is the same for all these set ups. Use CCs and Shalks to set up an opponent to be killed from proc sets.

In BGs winterborn has killed many players mostly because it's 8% per player per hit. So with blockade on a group there's a high chance of one player being hit by all of his team's procs.
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Custos91 Bull Netch because it provides the major buffs and returns stamina, when dealing with cost poisons I want 1000 Stam Regen. With Bull + Bird of Prey and Passives I reach approximately 1k Stam Regen. I'll always be able to CC break on cool down.

Another added benefit of Bull Netch is it allows you to continue sprinting even with an empty Stam bar, you can imagine how that is helpful in BGs.

I keep bird up 100%, just bar swap cancel when needed, trellis is used less often and usually only when I'm being pressured - I am considering switching it for mist form in BGs.

With my build I don't focus on burst, I focus on CCs and keeping up Dots. Skoria and Winterborn do the burst for me.

Caluurion is very very reliable, especially on a mag warden. Reach + Flies means even with a 25% crit chance it'll proc on cooldown or a single GCD after cooldown.

For my build skoria and Caluurion will proc almost the same amount depending on circumstances. I just don't have a Caluurion head or shoulders. If I did, I'd be running Caluurion + winterborn + 1 Domi. It'd have better stats and could even run a master backbar. (But don't have that either)

Caluurion + Skoria would be another good set up. Caluurion would allow for Necro x4 or something like Lich or Riposte or Transmutation backbar. I love all of these sets pretty equally. If I had lich resto I dunno if I'd ever not use it.

But the premise is the same for all these set ups. Use CCs and Shalks to set up an opponent to be killed from proc sets.

In BGs winterborn has killed many players mostly because it's 8% per player per hit. So with blockade on a group there's a high chance of one player being hit by all of his team's procs.

I thought bull netch only provided WD buff?
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Minno wrote: »

That's a typo on many sites. It provides both
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Ron_Burgundy_79
    Ron_Burgundy_79
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Also helps that no expects a winterborn proc. I'm willing to bet a large majority of players don't even know what it is.

I tried the dot setup, I just didn't care for it. I prefer the burst of deep fissure - cliff racer - force pulse.
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a typo on many sites. It provides both

Even the build editor? It's been awhile since I did a build for warden lol
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Also helps that no expects a winterborn proc. I'm willing to bet a large majority of players don't even know what it is.

I tried the dot setup, I just didn't care for it. I prefer the burst of deep fissure - cliff racer - force pulse.

Old school. Roll dodge messes with that now, and against any build with big heals I found the 2/3 sec was enough for them to reset.

Against some builds they just blew up. Against players at Wayrest they easily avoided it, or reset.

Another advantage to blockade is countering cloak.

The old school set up can be really mitigated by an effective player. Taking Shalk damage when it can be dealt with. I.e. roll dodge + cloak is gonna negate about 4 or 5 of your GCDs, while only requiring two on their part.

One of the best advantage of proc sets is being able to deal out significant damage while being defensive. Gives an opportunity to counter, which is an absolute must against heavily offensive builds i.e. nbs
    Edited by Waffennacht on March 20, 2018 7:38PM
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Ron_Burgundy_79
    Ron_Burgundy_79
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Old school. Roll dodge messes with that now, and against any build with big heals I found the 2/3 sec was enough for them to reset.

Against some builds they just blew up. Against players at Wayrest they easily avoided it, or reset.

The old school set up can be really mitigated by an effective player. Taking Shalk damage when it can be dealt with. I.e. roll dodge + cloak is gonna negate about 4 or 5 of your GCDs, while only requiring two on their part.

One of the best advantage of proc sets is being able to deal out significant damage while being defensive. Gives an opportunity to counter, which is an absolute must against heavily offensive builds i.e. nbs

Killing someone that's tanky typically requires getting them to 75% health and then permafrost - shalk - cliff racer - force pulse while light attack weaving. It isn't perfect. It's not a dueling build, but it's performed well for me in BGs and open world.
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Killing someone that's tanky typically requires getting them to 75% health and then permafrost - shalk - cliff racer - force pulse while light attack weaving. It isn't perfect. It's not a dueling build, but it's performed well for me in BGs and open world.

Ah, the ole Permafrost.

I'm usually using Panacea on cooldown, it's gonna help my team and it makes me invincible. It's a rare day indeed when I have 200 ulr lol.

Before the bird nerf I would've stayed with that combo. Alas
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Jade1986
    Jade1986
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    What's her build?

CP, stats, gear, etc.

I do Sotha, so that simplifies things.

Stats Is 50 Health, 14 Mag
    Gear- I want to switch it out I want to keep Torugs for the buff, but the other 5 I need advice. Also use ice staves.
    Race is Orc
    I managed to get spell damage to 2,7 k with my stat allocation so far, which isnt too bad tbh, but the ability set up, good god, I need something useful! xD

Any other things, Ill write, just kinda busy today =P
    Edited by Jade1986 on March 20, 2018 8:19PM
  • Ron_Burgundy_79
    Ron_Burgundy_79
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Ah, the ole Permafrost.

I'm usually using Panacea on cooldown, it's gonna help my team and it makes me invincible. It's a rare day indeed when I have 200 ulr lol.

Yeah undodgeable birds covered a lot of deficiencies, but they stick out like a sore thumb now. My biggest issue is the lack of an execute. Even when I perfectly execute my burst, I have to hope the enemy doesn't dodge roll my next attack if I didn't quite nuke them. I've found that permafrost is most effective way to secure a kill with the old school rotation.

I would love to use the bear, but it doesn't work well at all. I believe someone compared it's AI to that of a toaster. It's technically an execute, but it's a waste of 2 ulti slots at this point.
  • Jade1986
    Jade1986
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Ah, the ole Permafrost.

Yeah undodgeable birds covered a lot of deficiencies, but they stick out like a sore thumb now. My biggest issue is the lack of an execute. Even when I perfectly execute my burst, I have to hope the enemy doesn't dodge roll my next attack if I didn't quite nuke them. I've found that permafrost is most effective way to secure a kill with the old school rotation.

I would love to use the bear, but it doesn't work well at all. I believe someone compared it's AI to that of a toaster. It's technically an execute, but it's a waste of 2 ulti slots at this point.

Bear def needs to be single slot.
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jade1986 wrote: »
    What's her build?

CP, stats, gear, etc.

Gear- I want to switch it out I want to keep Torugs for the buff, but the other 5 I need advice. Also use ice staves.
    Race is Orc
    I managed to get spell damage to 2,7 k with my stat allocation so far, which isnt too bad tbh, but the ability set up, good god, I need something useful! xD

If you are going to rely on shields to survive your allocation should be all in mag.

You can keep it in health but then I'd recommend Plague Doctor + Bone Shield and definitely relying on orocs for damage.

But you're still probably gonna want to put it all in mag
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's her build?

CP, stats, gear, etc.

Race is Orc

If you are going to rely on shields to survive your allocation should be all in mag.

You can keep it in health but then I'd recommend Plague Doctor + Bone Shield and definitely relying on orocs for damage.

Can use healing ward and life giver. I know tree is op, but life giver would give minor beserk for 8 seconds if you conbat prayer.

What in the warden kit is boosted by orc DMG?
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Tryxus
    Tryxus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

dXbUucg.jpg

Srry, just had to post this :p

Anyways, @Jade1986

Back when Battlegrounds were CP enabled, I ran a Heavy Armored build using 5x Kagrenac's Hope. But now that they're No CP again (and to have a bit more "oomph" and sustain in Vivec), I went back to a Light Armored build using:

- 5x Clever Alchemist/Julianos
    - 5x Winterborn
    - 1x vMSA Ice Staff
    - 1x vMSA Resto

5 Light, 1 Med, 1 Heavy

I really like the Clever Alchemist to give me a huge Spell Power buff, which is really handy to have when Northern Storm/Permafrost is ready to go. And it has 2 HP bonuses as well, so I'm not too fragile.

Bar layout:
    - Ice Staff: Shimmering Shield, Deep Fissure, Screaming Cliff Racer, Winter's Revenge, Blockade of Frost | Northern Storm
    - Resto Staff: Blue Betty, Ice Fortress, Mutagen/Arctic Blast, Nature's Embrace, Healing Ward | Healing Thicket

This is what I currently use. Hope it might be of some use to you
    "The Oak's Promise: stand strong, stay true, and shelter all"
    Tryxus of the Undying Song - Warden - PC/EU/DC
  • Ron_Burgundy_79
    Ron_Burgundy_79
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tryxus wrote: »

dXbUucg.jpg

Sure, the bear can hit hard. The problem isn't the damage. It's the fact that it's incredibly easy to kite, the attacks are slow and telegraphed, and it requires a global cooldown to activate much in the same way overload does.
  • Mojomonkeyman
    Mojomonkeyman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can recommend winterborn + overwhelming + skoria, charged ice staff winterborn, nirn sword winterborn, overwhelming shield. You want to use WoE. Exceptional BG build, imo.

I recently swapped to a slightly more tanky variation, replacing winterborn with heavy torugs (ice staff). It's more suited counterin the current overrepresentation of stamNBs in BGs.

No shield/ward play is not very beginner friendly though on a magicka class, so you will need some practice surviving quick damage spikes.
    Koma Grey, Chocolate Thunder, Little Mojo, Dagoth Mojo & Mojomancy
  • Torbschka
    Torbschka
    ✭✭✭✭
    I run
    5x necro (5x body)
    5x Wizards (3x body+ SNB backbar)
    2x valkyn
    1x ice master

Bar1: wall, clench, fissure, mage light, shield - ulti
    Bar2: netch, trellis, shimmering, flex, mist Form - ulti

Really tanky, good combination of burst, DPS and CC, so far the best mag warden build for me.

I usw lingering health + speed potions, no need for healing ward. U could even slot fissure backbar (like curse) and elemental draim front etc, since u have 2 flex spots (flex + mist)

Burst with fissure, clench, wall, skoria + ulti pressures every build , u also have space for 1 more skill with fissure backbar.

Why the Frost Staff? I like the hround aoe slow/DMG vs fast stam classes and especially vs other mag classes
  • Jade1986
    Jade1986
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    What's her build?

CP, stats, gear, etc.

Race is Orc

Im gonna give this a whirl.
    Torbschka wrote: »
    I run
    5x necro (5x body)
    5x Wizards (3x body+ SNB backbar)
    2x valkyn
    1x ice master

Bar1: wall, clench, fissure, mage light, shield - ulti
    Bar2: netch, trellis, shimmering, flex, mist Form - ulti

Really tanky, good combination of burst, DPS and CC, so far the best mag warden build for me.

I usw lingering health + speed potions, no need for healing ward. U could even slot fissure backbar (like curse) and elemental draim front etc, since u have 2 flex spots (flex + mist)

Burst with fissure, clench, wall, skoria + ulti pressures every build , u also have space for 1 more skill with fissure backbar.

Why the Frost Staff? I like the hround aoe slow/DMG vs fast stam classes and especially vs other mag classes

This too. =) Thnx guys. Im gonna keep an eye on this thread tho, im totally open cuz i have no idea what im doing with this build tbh atm xD. Bowden im great, my warden healer also fantastic, but this, its like.....the struggle....
  • Jade1986
    Jade1986
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Tryxus wrote: »

dXbUucg.jpg

Anyways, @Jade1986

Back when Battlegrounds were CP enabled, I ran a Heavy Armored build using 5x Kagrenac's Hope. But now that they're No CP again (and to have a bit more "oomph" and sustain in Vivec), I went back to a Light Armored build using:

- 5x Clever Alchemist/Julianos
    - 5x Winterborn
    - 1x vMSA Ice Staff
    - 1x vMSA Resto

5 Light, 1 Med, 1 Heavy

I really like the Clever Alchemist to give me a huge Spell Power buff, which is really handy to have when Northern Storm/Permafrost is ready to go. And it has 2 HP bonuses as well, so I'm not too fragile.

Bar layout:
    - Ice Staff: Shimmering Shield, Deep Fissure, Screaming Cliff Racer, Winter's Revenge, Blockade of Frost | Northern Storm
    - Resto Staff: Blue Betty, Ice Fortress, Mutagen/Arctic Blast, Nature's Embrace, Healing Ward | Healing Thicket

This is what I currently use. Hope it might be of some use to you

On the list of things to try. Ill hve to settle for some random weapons, since i dont hve vma, but other than that, gonna give it a whirl after the othre 2 =).
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's her build?

CP, stats, gear, etc.

Race is Orc

Hmm challenging. Orc is there for speed, but won't buff your ice damage (and lack of melee on warden?).

I'd say use frost/resto. Life giver gives you all the morphs of your other resto skills on cast (except quick siphon). So if you build for shields, life giver will give you that extra healing Ward and minor beserk so you can run the minor evaison on your wings.

Ice staff root is so clutch too.
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual