The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Please start informing us how big these "patches" are going to be.

LanceFoxMcCloud
LanceFoxMcCloud
✭✭✭
So here I am, all excited because I finally get a day off to just immerse myself into the wonderful world of Tamriel. Get all set up, go to turn the game on, and BAM!! YOU NEED AN 11 GIG UPDATE.
Being someone who lives in a VERY remote location with no high speed internet, I use a mobile hotspot to connect. However, I pay for it BY THE GIG.
So, when you have a new update coming out, I try my hardest to see how big the update will be so I can plan accordingly for it by bringing my console to an area in town with wifi.

So this brings me to the question, WHY DON'T YOU INFORM US HOW BIG YOUR PATCHES ARE GOING TO BE?!?!?!?!

Now I'm unable to play because you guys thought it would be cool to release a "patch" that's 11 gigs, and not warn us about it.

Is communication seriously that difficult, ZoS?
  • Marginis
    Marginis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would be nice for the patch size to be immediately communicated, but we can usually make some generalized inferences from previous game patches. If it sounds like it's about the size of a previous update, it's likely to be a similar size to that previous update.

If you haven't already I also recommend setting your PC/console to automatically download updates when they release. It may require your device to be put in sleep mode instead of off, but it's generally known when the patch will be released.
    @Marginis on PC, Senpai Fluffy on Xbox, Founder of Magicka. Also known as Kha'jiri, The Night Mother, Ma'iq, Jane Shepard, Damia, Kintyra, Zoor Do Kest, You, and a few others.
  • LanceFoxMcCloud
    LanceFoxMcCloud
    ✭✭✭
    Marginis wrote: »
    It would be nice for the patch size to be immediately communicated, but we can usually make some generalized inferences from previous game patches. If it sounds like it's about the size of a previous update, it's likely to be a similar size to that previous update.

If you haven't already I also recommend setting your PC/console to automatically download updates when they release. It may require your device to be put in sleep mode instead of off, but it's generally known when the patch will be released.

I do agree with this reasonable thinking, but unfortunately I haven't found it to be very reliable. Sometimes the patch is around 500mb, other times, like now, it's 10-20 gigs, despite a seemingly comparable ammount of "fixes" in both.

The point of my post is to request a simple mention with the patch notes saying how large the patch will be in size. It would be very helpful to members such as myself who have to plan their downloads to be completed in a different location due to internet restrictions.

I can not allow my console or pc to auto update for as I previously mentioned, I live remote and have a cap of 40gigs/month via hotspot.

Therefore meaning the size of these "updates" and "patches" is extremely important to me so I don't end up paying hundreds and possibly thousands of dollars extra for going over my gig cap. When I know there's a big update coming, I can transport the xbox 45 miles to download it at a friend's home.

If they would simply include the size of the patch in the patch notes, then other members in situations similar to myself could plan accordingly for the day of the patch, instead of being suprised morning-of that the "patch" is in fact more like a mini update in size.

I know I'm not alone either as I play with several other people who live remote, too. When something like this transpires it ruins everyone's plans (eso ones) for the next few days at the least.

• TazESO
    TazESO
    ✭✭✭
    its not much help ahead of release date, but they do give the size of the patch now, same day.
    For example, here’s the most recent

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/402800/pc-mac-patch-notes-v3-3-10#latest

I suspect, but not sure, that they don’t publish the size ahead of time because it could change depending if anything has to be backed out at last minute.

I do agree that if it’s a large patch they should somehow post that in advance.

I can tell you that any with “Update” specified in the name, llike Update 17 a few weeks ago, will be huge.