Maintenance for the week of June 17:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – June 17, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – June 17, 10:00PM EDT (June 18, 2:00 UTC) - June 18, 5:00AM EDT (9:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – June 17, 10:00PM EDT (June 18, 2:00 UTC) - June 18, 5:00AM EDT (9:00 UTC)

Transmutation geodes - a joke or a bug?

Octopuss
Octopuss
✭✭✭✭✭
I don't know what to think. The gold one claims to yield between 4 and 25 crystals. I get 4 about 99% of the time and 5 in the rest 1% cases. Just WTF?
The same goes for other types as well, obviously.
  • sdtlc
    sdtlc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your testing sample is to small.
    Die Qualität verhält sich nicht zwingend proportional zur Masse...

Meisterangler vor dem perfekten Rogen...
    +Kaiserstadt, Wrothgar, Hew's Fluch, Goldküste, Vvardenfell, Stadt der Uhrwerke, Sommersend, Artaeum, Trübmoor, Elsweyr (nördliches & südliches), Graumoor, Reik, Dunkelforst

[PC][DC]Zunft der Helden[PvX]
    Feierabendgilde mit Ambitionen
    Options
  • Marabornwingrion
    Marabornwingrion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's not a joke or bug, it's a feature.
    Options
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    RNG-certified.png
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    Options
  • SquareSausage
    SquareSausage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    He's right you know, its is 4 crystals the vast majority of times, anything above that is even smaller odds.

Experienced from opening hundreds of geodes.
    Breakfast King
    PS4 EU
    Options
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Octopuss wrote: »
    I don't know what to think. The gold one claims to yield between 4 and 25 crystals. I get 4 about 99% of the time and 5 in the rest 1% cases. Just WTF?

You've gotten 100s of gold geodes?
    Options
  • Wrecking_Blow_Spam
    Wrecking_Blow_Spam
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The rewards of the worthy ones, although I had an anomaly yesterday, one gave me 20 crystal, I was genuinely surprised.
    It's usually a guaranteed 4 crystals
    Xbox one EU
    8 Flawless conquerors on all class specs (4 stam, 4 magicka)
    Doesn't stand in red
    Options
  • Aesthier
    Aesthier
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Statistically speaking the 1% is an outlier and should be dropped.

Options
  • lillybit
    lillybit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've got a build up of geodes so open several at once whenever I transmute anything. Makes it a bit easier to see the big picture. I get almost as many 5's as I get 4's, maybe 2:3 but I'd tempted to say even a bit better than that. I get a bigger one (10+) around 1 in 10 times.
    The PVE geodes are much worse in my experience. Three hard mode pledges will almost always only give 3 or 4 crystals and that's alot of work compared to at least 4 crystals for just 20k AP.
    I think the PVP geodes are spot on at the moment but PVE definitely needs looking at
    PS4 EU
    Options
  • Illurian
    Illurian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The transmutation geodes just have very heavily weighted rng, not true rng.
    Kiss the chaos.
    Options
  • Surak73
    Surak73
    ✭✭✭✭
    It claims to yield beteewn 4 and 25, and it's right: one single time, I got 25 of them.

That which it doesn't say is that maybe 90 times out of ten it yields 4 crystals, 5 times it yields 5 crystals and so on...
    Options
  • Narvuntien
    Narvuntien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I find that i am getting a good amout of the things... i kind of have to go scramble to find things to transmute before i hit the cap.

PVP is still the best way to gain the things. You can even hold rewards for the worthy for a day/days to get rewards each day from them if you can say only pvp on weekends.

The system seems to reward variety rather than hard grinding.
    Edited by Narvuntien on March 18, 2018 10:51AM
    Options
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I have seen 4, 5, 10, 15, 20, 25. Anything more than 4 is rare.
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
    Options
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    4 and 10 pretty common for me.
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
    Options
  • N00BxV1
    N00BxV1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The blue and purple geodes need to have their minimum amounts increased to at least 2 and 3. Veteran is pointless unless you need a monster helm or purple jewelry and Veteran HM is pointless unless you need the extra key, because the geodes from each of these usually only give 1 crystal.
    Edited by N00BxV1 on March 18, 2018 11:01AM
    Options
  • Silver_Strider
    Silver_Strider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I've gotten 20 crystals from gold geodes twice but the norm is 4-5. Never seen anything in between or more than 20 outside of the end of Campaign rewards.
    Argonian forever
    Options
  • DRAGON_KILLER_HUNTER
    DRAGON_KILLER_HUNTER
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    it's a jokebug
    Options
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nobody ever claimed an even distribution. If you somehow think you'll be getting 20 as often as you get 4, that's an assumption. 4 is likely about 80% chance with 5 being about 17% and 3% of something higher than that.
    Options
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whenever has ZOS' RNG not been a joke? The joke's on us.
    Options
  • neverwalk
    neverwalk
    ✭✭✭✭
    level up any toons you have to level 47 and get level-up reward of 50 crystals
    Options
  • ak_pvp
    ak_pvp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    They are weighted. Its BS but ah well.
    MagDK main. PC/EU @AK-ESO
    Best houseknight EU.
    Options
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

When grinding AP for emporer, players can make a million AP per day or more ... so that’s already 50 rewards of the worthy coffers. I’ve opened hundreds myself from RoTW.

Edited by Taleof2Cities on March 18, 2018 4:04PM
    Options
  • Cpt_Teemo
    Cpt_Teemo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Atleast your not gambling with real $
    Options
  • Mettaricana
    Mettaricana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Legit first geode i got from cyrodiil when dragon bones dropped gave me 50 but also before that 1-2 stones
    Options
  • Jarryzzt
    Jarryzzt
    ✭✭✭✭
    I can't speak for the gold ones, but based on a sample of about 30-40 purple ones I've opened since the last patch, it appears that the probabilities of rolling X crystals may not be even.

I recognize, of course, that 30-40 is a small sample to formulate a firm conclusion, which is why I use the qualifiers like "may not" above.

However, thus far my experience has been that if the range is 1-10 (purple geodes), then a majority of the time I will roll 1 or 2, and I am yet to roll a number higher than 4 out of the whole lot. Which - and I stress the qualifier - may suggest that the probability of rolling 1 is not the same as (and, in fact, is much higher than) the probability of rolling 10. [Which makes design sense. Imagine if 10 purple geodes yielded, on average, 40-60 crystals. Traits on farmed gear would stop mattering, basically, at least for the non-newbie players.]

In other words, geodes are less a classic "choose a number between 1 and X with equal probability" type of thing, and more of a lottery where you're always guaranteed 1 but have a small, tiny, diminishing chance of getting a lot more than 1.

But, of course, I cannot conclusively state whether this is the case without opening several thousand geodes (at least) of the same quality within the "time bounds" of the same patch. And that just is not going to happen.

In the meanwhile, the real conversation people ought to have is a time-is-money one. If the probability is skewed towards rolling 1-2 crystals, then is it better to farm purples and hope for a lottery-type outcome, or spend far less time and effort farming greens - such that you end up with only a modestly smaller crystal total but will have had time to farm loads of other things besides.
    Options
  • Jade1986
    Jade1986
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    If I could sell them I would, I have about 8 - 50 transmute crystal geodes in each of my characters inventory.
    Options
  • vyndral13preub18_ESO
    vyndral13preub18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The odds are not even. Much like the clown crates things are aimed at the low end. But just think how much more exciting that makes the whole process....right?
    Edited by vyndral13preub18_ESO on March 18, 2018 8:08PM
    Options
  • Tholian1
    Tholian1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My first geode gave me 15 crystals yesterday. Not bad I guess.
    PS4 Pro NA
    Options
  • Shadowmaster
    Shadowmaster
    ✭✭✭✭

play 100 days in a row get 20k ap every day = 100's of geodes
    Options
  • Acharnor
    Acharnor
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have never seen a gold geode - are they only available from PVP? I get purples from Undaunted runs and I have seen way too many 1s from those. I would love to get more of these but respect the grind.
    Celebrate for life is short but sweet for certain.
    Options
  • Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

AP farming and then opening on multiple toons..

I would open about 10 a day. Have opened over 200 and still have a ton saved up on mule toons. I would transmog stuff and transmog back just because the crystals were hogging inventory space...

He’s right. It’s usually 4. I think the odds of getting a bigger one get exponentially smaller as the reward size gets bigger.
    PC NA - @dazkt - Dazk Ardoonkt / Sir Thogalot / Dask Dragoh’t / Dazk Dragoh’t / El Thogardo

Stream: twitch.tv/THOGARDvsThePeasants
    YouTube: http://youtube.com/c/thogardpvp

Options