The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [IN PROGRESS] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

An ESO noobs guide

Logey7
Logey7
✭✭
I just started playing ESO about a week ago, so may I ask for some help regarding pretty much everything in the game? Not mechanics really, just more of the slang terms, the ways to meet people, and especially what armor I should use on my mage! If anyone can help at all whatsoever, I would greatly appreciate it!
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My friend there is a TON of stuff to download to you and that's hard to do on here without understanding how you like to play or what area you want to get I to etc. It's hard to be too perscriptive with help without context.

I would say, try to join a good guild that helps newbies. Post in the guild section for your region / platform (if you are Xbox EU I can help you) as a friendly guild will help you out and craft gear.

For a Mage, if you are going the magika route you want to use staves (Destro / Restro) and stack Magika as your main resource. And will end up wearing 5 light to unlock all the passives. Wearing 5 light, 1 medium, 1 heavy as leveling will help you unlock the skills lines.

Content cofused me when I started so this will help:-
    Quest types
    MAIN - This is the proper ghost dude talking to you about molag bal, and statts off in the Harborage, ditch the Morrowind tutorial if you want stuff to make sense and go start the original. Each quest you get a skillpoint
    ALLIANCE - this is your alliance quest line and again gives 3 skill points per zone ish. And is your alliance story
    Side quests - not important unless you want to complete a zone (I did a few times but the above two keep you on the story
    GUILDS - there are player guilds as I mentioned or in game guilds like Mages Guild. Fighters guild etc. You need to start these too, in particular mages guild which you level reading purple lorebooks each zone
    CRAFTING - don't try to do all crafts as you wont have enough skillpoints early on but do deconstruct all gear you find to level the skill lines ready and research traits of items you find.
    Zone clear - to enjoy the game and level fast I do this per zone - get all skysharrs, all lorebooks, clear all delves, find the 3 dolmen. Each zone has a Public dungeon group event (5 bosses in a big deleve that give you a skillpoint when done) world bosses you will need help to clear. this clear per zone means you get big XP and play the game. Don't grind its dull.
    DUNGEONS each zone has an instancdd group dungeon these are 4 man places you can use the activity finder to get queued up with people for.

Look up UESP website as that has a great intro to all terms and what things mean. Ask more targetted questions on here once you are rolling.

Welcome my friend!
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Get a coffee and work thru this and all the links

http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Online
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • aetherial_heavenn
    aetherial_heavenn
    ✭✭✭✭
    First post has the essentials. Particularly joining a good guild. That may take a while for a good fit.
    Download some add ons if you play PC. Start with a mini map one, a lorebook one and a skyshard one. Minion or esoui will have what you want.
    Deltia did a nice levelling guide that has some relevance. Ignore the builds for now.
    Quoted for truth
    "In my experience, the elite ones have not been very toxic, and the toxic ones not very elite." WrathOfInnos
  • Integral1900
    Integral1900
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ahh young apprentice, allow this crotechy old vet to impart his dubious wisdom, for there is a font of all knowledge and solution to all questions

It’s name is google

But first you must enter the prayer ESO only then follow it with the word.... shorter the better

So thou shalt for example utter ESO Warden Healer Build, and thou shalt receive the answer you seek... along with a lot of junk...

It is still the single best source there is and a dam site faster than asking in zone chat
  • Logey7
    Logey7
    ✭✭
    Those were pretty good tips, thanks guys, besides you integral, you were pretty useless xD
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Logey7 wrote: »
    Those were pretty good tips, thanks guys, besides you integral, you were pretty useless xD
    I know, right? You have to wonder why he's in the Players Helping Players section if he's just going to say "Google it." :|
    You posted in the correct section for this type of help.

By the way, learning the slang/lingo here takes a while. Here's some to help out:

stamblade - stamina nightblade
    magblade - magicka nightblade
    stamDK - stamina dragonknight
    magDK - magicka dragonknight
    stamsorc - stamina sorceror
    magsorc - magicka sorceror
    stamden - stamina warden
    magden - magicka warden
    stamplar - stamina templar
    magplar - magicka templar

DPS - damage per second
    DD - damage dealer
    HoT - heal over time
    DoT - damage over time
    AoE - area-of-effect abililty

NPC - non-player character
    PvE - player versus environment, in other words, gameplay where you're killing NPCs/monsters.
    PvP - player versus player, where you're directly killing other players, which is confined to certain areas like Cyrodiil and the Imperial City.
    1v1 - a reference to a one-versus-one PvP duel/fight.
    1vX - sometimes used to describe a PvP fight between one person and multiple enemy players, where "v" means "versus," and "X" is an unknown number of players.

Edited by SydneyGrey on March 19, 2018 8:16AM
  • mingimingi
    mingimingi
    ✭✭✭
    Things I wish I had known when I started as a gaming super-noob (never played an MMO before this one):

Start researching all the traits in crafting so you can craft whatever you need. Choose one character that will know all the traits, recipes, motifs and achievements. Learn all the things on this one character. When holidays roll around, do the holiday achievements on this one too. I was a noob (and always will be) and had them spread out among too many characters.
    That's the most important one.

Other tips-
    1. Many things you see in the crown store can be purchased for gold in-game.
    2. Lfg means "Looking for group", not "let's f-cking go" as I thought. ;)
    3. Deltia's videos really explain things well in terms of armor. Basically-Julianos armor is an easily obtainable set for mag and is great.
    4. In every public dungeon, there is a "secret" group boss that gives you an extra skill point for killing it.

Addons-
    1. Minion is a program that makes it easy to manage add-ons.
    2. Master Merchant- so you don't get ripped off. Shows average prices of everything.
    3. Awesome guild store (trading)
    4. Lost Treasure-Treasure map and Crafting survey locations
    5. Lorebooks-essential for your mage. Each lorebook increases your mages guild level which you will want later, trust me.
    Sorry if this was super long, but I reallly wish I knew the things above when I started. Good luck! :)
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beardimus wrote: »
    Get a coffee and work thru this and all the links

http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Online
    They have a focused page for terms within the game/community as well.
    http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Abbreviations_and_Terms
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Elsterchen
    Elsterchen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Logey7 wrote: »
    I just started playing ESO about a week ago, so may I ask for some help regarding pretty much everything in the game? Not mechanics really, just more of the slang terms, the ways to meet people, and especially what armor I should use on my mage! If anyone can help at all whatsoever, I would greatly appreciate it!

Ofc red daedric armor ! Just joking!!!!

Personally I enjoy the youtube vids from kevduit alot, they are funny, informative (well keeping things basic seems fitted for newbies) and you can watch them while doing chores.

Everything else was noted already.

Have fun.

• Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    By looking at your profile I see you play on Xbox. That being said, don't bother wasting time looking at/for Addons... those are crutches only available to PC players and not for we self-sufficient console players (just kidding PC guys, we love you).

If you play on North American server send me a whisper (gamertag is same as forum name - Feric51). I'll get you an invite to our guild. We have people who play most hours, PvP and PvE, and would be more than willing to work with you to help you understand the game better.

I'll come back later and write some more, but I'm about to depart work for the day.
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

Darkness Falls: The Crusade survivor (you young kids will never know the struggle of text-based games)

• norki3
    norki3
    Been playing a couple days so very new to it myself but this is what I needed and like to see! loving it so far but feeling like a helpful casual guild is what I need, easier to ask questions as you play! Guides are great but I find I learn best by playing and getting stuck into it.

Xbox EU and norki3 is my GT so if you think your guild would suit me let me know :) Great post for people like me though thanks guys
  • SinisterG
    SinisterG
    ✭✭
    as a relatively inexperienced player myself i will pass on something i just recently learned that made my ESO life so much easier. One word. FOOD. Don't get me wrong, having your build, gear and attributes setup properly is very important but the stat increases you get from eating food cannot be understated. It really has given me the edge to push on when i felt things were getting a little beyond me. Good luck and have fun
    -Ruin -
    It bleeds all life away

I will show you all that I have mastered
    Fear.
    Pain.
    Hatred.
    Power.

This is the art of ruin
  • Logey7
    Logey7
    ✭✭
    You guys are awesome! I'm so glad that I actually got responses, the tips along with some of the abbreviations you guys told me have really helped me out! So happy to be part of this community! More tips are always welcome though
  • jnelson1182
    jnelson1182
    ✭✭
    I have only been playing eso for around two and a half months so I am still a very new player I honestly felt overwhelmed when I started playing but the usp site is really helpful, also the game has a wiki site with a ton of information about almost everything to do with the game that you can think of. the best bet for a build that I can give you is look around online to see what other people using your class are wearing/ skills they are using, don't just copy the build but try to use it a the building blocks for your build but also try to understand why they are using whatever they are using because it will only help you when it comes to figuring out not just what you like but a balance between what you like as well as what works.
    * Maccb- Level 50 DragonKnight- Fire mage type build/ BSW body, Valkyn Skoria mister set, & Willpower Jewelry/Random Flame/Lightning/Reston STAFF's
    **MBF**
  • Hurtfan
    Hurtfan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What does BiS stand for?
    For the Pact!
    Keyboard not found, press any key to continue
  • mjonis
    mjonis
    Hurtfan wrote: »
    What does BiS stand for?

In Neverwinter, it was:
    Best in Slot

I'm assuming (perhaps wrong) that it's the same here.

So a certain armor piece/set, for example, would be "BiS" for your character.
    ie: What's the best BLAH for character XYZ.

• SinisterG
    SinisterG
    ✭✭
    Hurtfan wrote: »
    What does BiS stand for?

Not exactly sure what the acronym stands for but it basically means the best at a certain function (e.g. best armor, best weapon, best skill ration etc.)
    -Ruin -
    It bleeds all life away

I will show you all that I have mastered
    Fear.
    Pain.
    Hatred.
    Power.

This is the art of ruin
  • Hurtfan
    Hurtfan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah, now BiS makes sense. Googled it, looked at ESO's "glossary" and couldn't find it anywhere, thanks!
    For the Pact!
    Keyboard not found, press any key to continue
  • Sekero
    Sekero
    ✭✭✭
    OP, pay close attention to @SinisterG. Food is crucial. I can't count the number of times I have died because I forgot to renew my food.
  • failkiwib16_ESO
    failkiwib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm, noobie advice I wish I had known in the beginning:
    Never pay for a teleport lol Travel for free by walking up to a wayshrine and use that to teleport, or use your group/friends/guild list to travel around for free, by clicking on an online players name and choose the "teleport to player" option.

Items worth something while you level:
    1. Blue to Purple recipes that are NOT max lvl
    2. Some flowers are worth a lot, such as Lady's Smock, Columbine, Corn flower.
    3. Raw materials (ore, rough wood, cloth, leather/hide) of any level is worth a lot.

answers:
    1. Learn all recipes, if you have extra copies, then check out the prices online, then try to sell it ingame to other players.
    2. Flowers - google which ones are worth keeping, and which ones are worth using to level up alchemy.
    3. Raw materials - if you have subscription/ ESO+ then just keep all these materials till you have levelled the crafts up, use 3 skillpoints in refinement/extraction and then bother to refine. If you do not have subscription/ ESO+ then check the prices of those materials online, and try to sell it to other players for a reasonable price.