The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Hidden factors for crafting activities drop

commdt
commdt
✭✭✭✭
Hey! Does anybody know (through testing or any other means) if there are any hidden factors affecting drop from crafting activities (like Hireling, daily writs)?
I.e. it is known that
- Number of skillpoints invested in tradeskill progress (n/10) affects materials tier from Hirelings
- Number of known traits/motifs affect Vouchers drop rate

Are there any other factors? Like number of skillpoints invested in say "Metal extraction" or maybe "Temper expertise" or even total skillpoints invested in crafting affect the drop rate of Tempers/Vouchers from Hirelings and Daily writs?
Rawr
  • CaffeinatedMayhem
    CaffeinatedMayhem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Hirelings are only affected by your crafting level and how many points you put into the hirelig passive (1-3).

Daily writs are not affect by anything other than crafting level.

Master writs are affected by number of traits known, number of motifs known (purple recipes for provisioning), and crafting level (must be 50 to get a drop).

Vouchers for master writs are determied by the writ - you cannot affect it. The more motifs you know, the more often "better" writs are supposed to drop...but in my experience, a low level crater (no motifs, and less than 8 traits) will get very high voucher writs(very rarely)...but nothing else.
    Edited by CaffeinatedMayhem on March 13, 2018 4:21PM
  • Wreuntzylla
    Wreuntzylla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hirelings are only affected by your crafting level and how many points you put into the hirelig passive (1-3).

Master writs are affected by number of traits known, number of motifs known (purple recipes for provisioning), and crafting level (must be 50 to get a drop).

Vouchers for master writs are determied by the writ - you cannot affect it. The more motifs you know, the more often "better" writs are supposed to drop...but in my experience, a low level crater (no motifs, and less than 8 traits) will get very high voucher writs(very rarely)...but nothing else.

For master writs, I think you might have to be character level 50 as well.

I have been running a bunch of sub-50 alts to get surveys and lower level recipes, and do not think I have seen a single master writ even on those with maxed crafting level. All but a couple of toons across accounts, regardless of level, are not lvl50 in every craft. In a couple of cases they are also spec'd 10/10 in the particular craft and crafting items with cp160 material. Still no master writs.

In case anyone doesn't know: The writs tend to produce a ton of lower level materials. You can have sub-50 toons crafting non-cp160 materials and receive surveys which can be collected for cp160 material. It's about the only reason I don't bombard these forums over the cost of ancestor silk. Which for some unknown reason remained exactly the same guild trader price on different platforms despite the over-farming during the event this week... Free market my behind.
  • disintegr8
    disintegr8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I do not believe trait knowledge even affects master writ drop rates. When they came out I had 6 characters ready to do top level daily writs and even though 4 of them had done no trait research at all, they still got master writs and had as much chance of getting high value ones as the other 2.

Since then, along with 2 other characters, I have completed their researching of 8 traits, to go with the other 8 trait and a 9 trait crafter. I now have 7 x 8 trait crafters and a 9 trait crafter and there has been no increase in master writ drop rate or voucher level on any of them since completing this.

I'd also add, as has been discussed before, while motif knowledge does increase the chances of getting a master writ, once the writ is received you go back to RNG for how many vouchers it contains. My 9 trait crafter knows all bar 6 styles to completion and does not get higher voucher writs than the others, just more writs.
    Australian on PS4 NA server.
    Everyone's entitled to an opinion.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    disintegr8 wrote: »
    ... while motif knowledge does increase the chances of getting a master writ, once the writ is received you go back to RNG for how many vouchers it contains.

This is fact.

I do not believe trait knowledge even affects master writ drop rates.

This is a myth.

Trait knowledge can positively influence the roll modifier for master writ drops. See quote from a ZOS developer below.

This is both fact and myth.

Sure, a character has to be level 50 in the craft. However, they must also be doing max level writ turn-ins for a chance at a master writ ... which means the first passive in the craft must be fully maxed (10/10 in the equipment crafting lines for example).

Tradeskill mastery (which determines your odds of receiving a master writ from a top tier writ reward box) is meant to imply a long-term dedication to the craft. This varies from tradeskill to tradeskill.

For Blacksmithing, Clothier, and Woodworking, this means motif knowledge and overall completion of trait research. This does not include Crown-exclusive motifs or motifs for the 9 base player races. It focuses on motifs that take some effort to learn – like Xivkyn, or Minotaur, or Celestial.
    For Provisioning, this is instead your collection of known purple and gold recipes as they are a strong overall representation of dedication to craft.
    With Enchanting, we instead look at the total overall rune word translations you’ve completed on that character.
    And with Alchemy, we look at how many reagents from which you’ve completely learned all effects.

Over time, the contributing factors for this may expand as the associated tradeskill mechanics do.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/3656134#Comment_3656134
  • Slick_007
    Slick_007
    ✭✭✭✭✭

i can confirm you do not need to be lvl 50
  • Apache_Kid
    Apache_Kid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

I have been running a bunch of sub-50 alts to get surveys and lower level recipes, and do not think I have seen a single master writ even on those with maxed crafting level. All but a couple of toons across accounts, regardless of level, are not lvl50 in every craft. In a couple of cases they are also spec'd 10/10 in the particular craft and crafting items with cp160 material. Still no master writs.

In case anyone doesn't know: The writs tend to produce a ton of lower level materials. You can have sub-50 toons crafting non-cp160 materials and receive surveys which can be collected for cp160 material. It's about the only reason I don't bombard these forums over the cost of ancestor silk. Which for some unknown reason remained exactly the same guild trader price on different platforms despite the over-farming during the event this week... Free market my behind.

Was just thinking about this specifically yesterday. Funny how that works innit?
    Edited by Apache_Kid on March 14, 2018 4:01PM
  • CaffeinatedMayhem
    CaffeinatedMayhem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Sure, a character has to be level 50 in the craft. However, they must also be doing max level writ turn-ins for a chance at a master writ ... which means the first passive in the craft must be fully maxed (10/10 in the equipment crafting lines for example).

I was assuming that if you've bothered to max the passive. But you are correct. There really was no need to bash me by calling it a "myth."
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I was assuming that if you've bothered to max the passive. But you are correct. There really was no need to bash me by calling it a "myth."

Bashing was not intended @thatlaurachick.

The OP was looking for "hidden" factors that affect crafting drops ... which the first passive skill points invested can be overlooked by players when aspiring for master writs.

Edited by Taleof2Cities on March 15, 2018 1:30AM
  • commdt
    commdt
    ✭✭✭✭
    Apache_Kid wrote: »

Was just thinking about this specifically yesterday. Funny how that works innit?

Because no amount of players and and double drop can outgring bots, or even come close to them.
    Rawr
  • disintegr8
    disintegr8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I do not believe trait knowledge even affects master writ drop rates.

This is a myth.

Trait knowledge can positively influence the roll modifier for master writ drops. See quote from a ZOS developer below.
    Tradeskill mastery (which determines your odds of receiving a master writ from a top tier writ reward box) is meant to imply a long-term dedication to the craft. This varies from tradeskill to tradeskill.

For Blacksmithing, Clothier, and Woodworking, this means motif knowledge and overall completion of trait research. This does not include Crown-exclusive motifs or motifs for the 9 base player races. It focuses on motifs that take some effort to learn – like Xivkyn, or Minotaur, or Celestial.
    For Provisioning, this is instead your collection of known purple and gold recipes as they are a strong overall representation of dedication to craft.
    With Enchanting, we instead look at the total overall rune word translations you’ve completed on that character.
    And with Alchemy, we look at how many reagents from which you’ve completely learned all effects.

Over time, the contributing factors for this may expand as the associated tradeskill mechanics do.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/3656134#Comment_3656134
    All I am stating is from my personal observations: I can not say that I have evidenced an increased drop rate of master writs as my characters have learned traits. ZOS can tell me otherwise but seeing is believing.

Since master writs came out I have taken 6 characters from 0 traits known to 8 traits known, doing daily writs every day, and have not seen any noticable increase in either the drop rate of master writs or the voucher content or the writs received. In contrast to this, I have observed and documented how motif knowledge definitely affects master writ drop rates.

It took me a lot of effort to get those extra 6 characters 'traited' up (I already has an 8 and a 9 trait character), seemingly for no benefit. I therefore choose to be a non-believer.

P.S. Maybe "overall completion of trait research" means only 9 trait crafters get the benefit - in which case I need 154 Fortified and 84 Potent Nirncrux if anyone is selling cheap :( .
    Australian on PS4 NA server.
    Everyone's entitled to an opinion.