The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Magicka Nightblade 1vX Montage

• Subversus
    Subversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lexxypwns wrote: »
    Subversus wrote: »
    Running with only 1 shield in light without at least 2 defensive sets (riposte+trans) is a pure potato masher build. There's a reason why all the top magblades (at least on PC EU) run harness/dampen on top of ward: if you come against any competent player you will get absolutely decimated if you only run ward.

No matter how much healing you have, you'll never be able to face tank in light with no shield if you don't have any resistances. And in order to actually get kills on magblade you gotta be able to face tank a bit (unless you go against 0 impen 19k hp guys).

That's how I see magblade. But what do I know, I'm just a meta fotm scrub and is apparently playing the god of all classes.

I’ve had some success with mageblade open world with 1 shield and bloodspawn this patch by pushing health to 26k+ with tri-glyphs. Running Lich+spinner+BS for example. It’s not BiS and you absolutely must outplay high damage specs to win, but it’s viable

Yeah exactly, high damage specs are the issue. Those are usually being played by the top tier players, who ironically are also the ones you need two shields against.

I mean there are some GOD tier magblades on EU that tried trans/riposte and got completely destroyed by a high damage player (and I mean 8 second fight kind of destroyed). It just doesn't work. You need that "buffer" that resistances or a shield give you.

I mean sure, trans/riposte or riposte/trans on their own or setups like those are probably BiS for group play, where you got teammates peeling for you, but the discussion in this thread is about solo magblade open world pvp.

I really believe I have more than enough magblade duel experience to know that setups with only heal ward get absolutely pounded if they're not in heavy (or stack resistances). And if they get slapped in duels I would love to see what happens to them when 3 different people unload their emotions on 'em at the same time.

So yeah IMO in this current meta, builds that only run heal ward as a defensive are exclusively potato mashers. Nothing else.
  • Subversus
    Subversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Running with only 1 shield in light without at least 2 defensive sets (riposte+trans) is a pure potato masher build. There's a reason why all the top magblades (at least on PC EU) run harness/dampen on top of ward: if you come against any competent player you will get absolutely decimated if you only run ward.

No matter how much healing you have, you'll never be able to face tank in light with no shield if you don't have any resistances. And in order to actually get kills on magblade you gotta be able to face tank a bit (unless you go against 0 impen 19k hp guys).

That's how I see magblade. But what do I know, I'm just a meta fotm scrub and is apparently playing the god of all classes.

My build last patch was spinner/trans/skoria and I only ran healing ward and was playing at a pretty high level (I beat alot of the best players on Xbox NA with this build) So as long as you run one defensive set I think you can get away with one shield as long as you build enough health into your build. I think one ward magblade is playable. Especially for all the argonians out there. But I agree if you don't run a single defensive set you have to run a damage shield

As I said earlier, you need that buffer which in your case was health. And since you're in light, the amount of health you need goes up by a few k. Not to mention that once you stack health the other stats tend to go down if not in heavy...

Anyways

Not trying to throw any shade or talk smack here, just laying down my opinion based on my own experiences, my own conclusions and the platform that I play on. For example on PC EU, a large percentage of the actual relevant opponents run high damage builds, not to mention all the sweaty zergers that minmax their Xv1 builds to the bone....
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

My build last patch was spinner/trans/skoria and I only ran healing ward and was playing at a pretty high level (I beat alot of the best players on Xbox NA with this build) So as long as you run one defensive set I think you can get away with one shield as long as you build enough health into your build. I think one ward magblade is playable. Especially for all the argonians out there. But I agree if you don't run a single defensive set you have to run a damage shield

Health is really under-rated on light armor builds, but if you’ve got enough to always be able to recover from a burst you can do well.

It’s not good for duels, but open world it’s so nice to have that extra cushion, especially since you get great stats anyway by slotting more offensive choices.

I know that @Subversus builds to be able to beat anyone 1v1 and then goes from there open world, but I don’t care, if I 100% know I can’t beat a player for any reason I will absolutely disengage him if I’m solo open world. I just feel like in order to get what I want out of a solo build I have to give up something and for me I’d rather lose something against the top 1% than the other 99%
  • Ectheliontnacil
    Ectheliontnacil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I really believe I have more than enough magblade duel experience to know that setups with only heal ward get absolutely pounded if they're not in heavy (or stack resistances). And if they get slapped in duels I would love to see what happens to them when 3 different people unload their emotions on 'em at the same time.

So yeah IMO in this current meta, builds that only run heal ward as a defensive are exclusively potato mashers. Nothing else.
    @Subversus You're right about that, that's why I play with a shield. I just don't like having to run from 1v1's against experienced players...

The difference between duels and openworld however, is that you can can kite and troll your opponents for as long as you like. In duels, that probably wouldn't be tolerated ^^.
    Fel for example is pretty top tier for magblades in openworld pvp and he doesn't run harness and I don't see him getting rekt by high dmg builds very often. Simply because he doesn't give them a chance to land their combo.

So yeah, we both play shield builds because they're tankier and better in 1v1's but I don't think it's the only successful way to play magblade :blush: .

@Lexxypwns While I run 1v1 capable builds mostly, I agree that you should play what you like even if that means you need to run from good players. In my opinion the best builds are always those you enjoy the most. I've played some pretty crazy and trolly specs in pvp and had a really good time with them and in the end, that's what it's all about :smile: .
    Edited by Ectheliontnacil on March 14, 2018 11:34AM
  • Drdeath20
    Drdeath20
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fasold666 wrote: »
    Drdeath20 wrote: »
    Yawn. Do it with a magplar or dont waste our time. Everybody can 1vx with the supreme class

You trash talking in every thread where people just show their nice gameplay for others to enjoy?
    How about you show us your gameplay instead of wasting the time of other people yourself that read your destructive comments.
    You must have a blast in cyro probably being on the receiving end... :D

I actually would like to see a video of a trully good player taking the weakest 1vX class and posting a video montage of them 1vXing on it. Everything else is drivel. Its not nice gameplay to 1vX with a build that is easiest to 1vX with.

I dont make videos, its just not my thing. Comes of braggadociously unless its something unique. As i have previously posted, do it with a magplar or dont waste OUR time.
  • Drdeath20
    Drdeath20
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lynog85 wrote: »
    Yawn. Do it with a magplar or dont waste our time. Everybody can 1vx with the supreme class

You trash talking in every thread where people just show their nice gameplay for others to enjoy?
    How about you show us your gameplay instead of wasting the time of other people yourself that read your destructive comments.

Supreme class? This guys never played magblade openworld i see. Obvious troll.

Thats all i play now. Dont assume you know me. Geez little kids these days
  • Ectheliontnacil
    Ectheliontnacil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I actually would like to see a video of a trully good player taking the weakest 1vX class and posting a video montage of them 1vXing on it. Everything else is drivel. Its not nice gameplay to 1vX with a build that is easiest to 1vX with.

I dont make videos, its just not my thing. Comes of braggadociously unless its something unique. As i have previously posted, do it with a magplar or dont waste OUR time.
    @Drdeath20
    Lol you're wasting your own time, crying about @Fasold666 1vXing on sorc. If you don't enjoy his opness, simply don't watch his video.

Sure you do! :D

• Subversus
    Subversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Subversus You're right about that, that's why I play with a shield. I just don't like having to run from 1v1's against experienced players...

The difference between duels and openworld however, is that you can can kite and troll your opponents for as long as you like. In duels, that probably wouldn't be tolerated ^^.
    Fel for example is pretty top tier for magblades in openworld pvp and he doesn't run harness and I don't see him getting rekt by high dmg builds very often. Simply because he doesn't give them a chance to land their combo.

So yeah, we both play shield builds because they're tankier and better in 1v1's but I don't think it's the only successful way to play magblade :blush: .

Lexxypwns While I run 1v1 capable builds mostly, I agree that you should play what you like even if that means you need to run from good players. In my opinion the best builds are always those you enjoy the most. I've played some pretty crazy and trolly specs in pvp and had a really good time with them and in the end, that's what it's all about :smile: .

Regarding fel, he had a very... intimate contact with my sorc's meteor burst. That situation alone convinced me that you shouldn't run without shields in light armor with 10k resists unless you wanna spend your whole day avoiding competent players.

I for example don't even sweat if a light armor magblade with no shields attacks me. I run mark instead of drain open world and without their cloak to crutch on they're literally free AP.

But yeah, it's obviously not the only successful way if you want to play magblade in an open world scenario. Add a little open world duels or 1vXes against more competent players here and there and the situation changes, though.

But then again, most relevant players know each other and leave each other alone on PC EU so we're free to potato mash without interference ^^
    Edited by Subversus on March 14, 2018 3:08PM
  • Drdeath20
    Drdeath20
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@Drdeath20
    Lol you're wasting your own time, crying about @Fasold666 1vXing on sorc. If you don't enjoy his opness, simply don't watch his video.

Sure you do! :D

See you get it. Its a waste of time. The strongest builds make everyone powerful. Its not nice gameplay. Why dont these people actually challenge themselves by using the weakest classes. I totally agree with you.
  • Ectheliontnacil
    Ectheliontnacil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Drdeath20 Well magblade isn't exactly op for openworld pvp and even though sorc is well suited for 1vXing, it's not as brokenly op as stamina warden is in certain situations (and many other classes are really strong as well). In general I feel like (heavy armour) stamina builds are the most powerful in openworld pvp at the moment and it has been this way for the past couple patches.
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magblades was the funnest class I've played even though I've mained a Templar for the most part. I like seeing magblade clips, them and dks.

I want to play magblade again but leveling can be so tedious.
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Magblades was the funnest class I've played even though I've mained a Templar for the most part. I like seeing magblade clips, them and dks.

Destro/Resto mageblade is pvp ready by like level 14
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Destro/Resto mageblade is pvp ready by like level 14

Want to do an argonian one

• olsborg
    olsborg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice vid, rly liked watching:)

PC EU
    PvP only
  • kadar
    kadar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lol nice, fun watch. I like the part where you ./ignore the low health potato and they still die to skoria proc :p
    @Ectheliontnacil I’m curious about one thing though, what makes you feel mageblade is relatively weak? What do you feel is missing from the kit?
    In my unsolicited opinion, the main difficulty comes with being entirely ranged damage. Any DK, Warden, or hell even the odd mPlar with certain skills on their bar need to simply be walked away from. Impale, 'ssasins Will, Strife, Crippling grasp (?), Clench all more or less pointless lol.

That issue alone doesn't make mNB weak tho, so yea I guess I'd say it's pretty strong with the exception being one of the aforementioned opponants. :p
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    lol nice, fun watch. I like the part where you ./ignore the low health potato and they still die to skoria proc :p
    @Ectheliontnacil I’m curious about one thing though, what makes you feel mageblade is relatively weak? What do you feel is missing from the kit?
    In my unsolicited opinion, the main difficulty comes with being entirely ranged damage. Any DK, Warden, or hell even the odd mPlar with certain skills on their bar need to simply be walked away from. Impale, 'ssasins Will, Strife, Crippling grasp (?), Clench all more or less pointless lol.

That issue alone doesn't make mNB weak tho, so yea I guess I'd say it's pretty strong with the exception being one of the aforementioned opponants. :p

Out of curiousity have you tried 2h/resto?

It’s got issues of its own, but it makes it so no spec really counters you
  • Subversus
    Subversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Imo 2h resto is the best way to play magblade open world/BGs atm, but it just doesn't feel like magblade imo :confused:
    Maybe due to the fact that I started playing magblade as destro/resto back in the good old days, that being was how I first learned the class.

But yeah, 2h resto is crazy potent in the current meta where you gotta burst fast then go back to cloak spam. Destro just doesn't have that gank/nuke potential that 2h has, not to mention that if you get slow spammed may god help your soul.
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Imo 2h resto is the best way to play magblade open world/BGs atm, but it just doesn't feel like magblade imo :confused:
    Maybe due to the fact that I started playing magblade as destro/resto back in the good old days, that being was how I first learned the class.

But yeah, 2h resto is crazy potent in the current meta where you gotta burst fast then go back to cloak spam. Destro just doesn't have that gank/nuke potential that 2h has, not to mention that if you get slow spammed may god help your soul.

Open world I agree. It’s a night and day difference

BGs I think destro is stronger because off-heals and better ranged fight control, You can help a team so much
    Edited by Lexxypwns on March 16, 2018 12:03AM
  • Subversus
    Subversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Open world I agree. It’s a night and day difference

BGs I think destro is stronger because off-heals and better ranged fight control, You can help a team so much

I guess. I haven't specced into funnel health for like a month now so idk.

But I guess you're right, especially if you can stay back and have your whole premade do the business, you can get busy with spamming wards, or doing crazy dps thanks to skoria>will and maybe soul assault. Fun fact, a bunch of small scale magblades on EU use soul assault lately, probably because it's so good from range.
    Edited by Subversus on March 16, 2018 8:46AM
  • Ectheliontnacil
    Ectheliontnacil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @The_Outsider
    :D ye that kill was funny, I was a bit surprised myself.
  • Ectheliontnacil
    Ectheliontnacil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

@Subversus What do you run on melee magblade? I've never really played 2h...as you said, it doesn't really feel like magblade. I still might give it a try ;-)
  • thankyourat
    thankyourat
    ✭✭✭✭✭

2hand magblade has so much mobility, I hate how much sustain I have to build to make it work though. I'm almost forced to run lich and a few recovery pieces on the jewelry which lowers my damage by quite a bit, it makes some tanky specs impossible to kill while at the same time being kind of squishy. I agree 2hand magblade just isn't that fun to me it feels weird. I been destroy/resto literally forever, even in the beginning when the magblade meta was dual swords, And merciless took 7 light attacks
  • Subversus
    Subversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

2hand magblade has so much mobility, I hate how much sustain I have to build to make it work though. I'm almost forced to run lich and a few recovery pieces on the jewelry which lowers my damage by quite a bit, it makes some tanky specs impossible to kill while at the same time being kind of squishy. I agree 2hand magblade just isn't that fun to me it feels weird. I been destroy/resto literally forever, even in the beginning when the magblade meta was dual swords, And merciless took 7 light attacks

Yeah the mobility is absurd. I tried it with my *** sharp 2h from my stamblade build from horns of the reach and even with that it was crazy in open world. I don't like it though, it plays almost exactly as a stamblade. It's just not what I fell in love with when I made my magblade.
  • Subversus
    Subversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Subversus What do you run on melee magblade? I've never really played 2h...as you said, it doesn't really feel like magblade. I still might give it a try ;-)

I was running with amber shackle domi with 2 spell dmg glyphs and one mag regen and mag regen mundus. Didn't have enough gold to make a nirn sword so it was an old sharp one, but the build was still super strong.

Shackle is great for melee magblade imo cause stam bonus and wep dmg bonus both help with your sword attacks and momentum heals, and amber helps to oversustain your stam so you can reliably spam dodges and play mostly like a dodge monkey stamnb. Mag sustain was fine as well, especially since I was also an op argonian.

I also started running 1 or 2 well fitted (3 on sorc) and a bunch of cp on all my shieldstack builds (sorc or NB) lately, imo dodge rolls are the absolute strongest defense mechanics in the game.
  • thankyourat
    thankyourat
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@Subversus What do you run on melee magblade? I've never really played 2h...as you said, it doesn't really feel like magblade. I still might give it a try ;-)

If you are going to be playing solo i highly recommend Lich. The other set you run can be interchangeable. Conceal weapon and Cloak and shields are crazy expensive, the extra mag regen from lich is great especially when you are running away. You can get stamina from leeching. Lich also allows you to run a two piece set and you can front bar a damage set or riposte depending on what you are going for. Shacklebreaker is good too because you can run whichmother but you lose out on a 2 piece set or an additional 5 piece
    Edited by thankyourat on March 17, 2018 12:38AM
  • Subversus
    Subversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If you are going to be playing solo i highly recommend Lich. The other set you run can be interchangeable. Conceal weapon and Cloak and shields are crazy expensive, the extra mag regen from lich is great especially when you are running away. You can get stamina from leeching. Lich also allows you to run a two piece set and you can front bar a damage set or riposte depending on what you are going for. Shacklebreaker is good too because you can run whichmother but you lose out on a 2 piece set or an additional 5 piece

I went back to shacklebreaker skoria wp a few days ago after seeing this thread and made some adjustments to how I used to run it before (double dot poisons, more stam sustain etc.) and I absolutely love it. It's crazy strong in duels and quite fun for open world, especially due to the fact that I push 14k stam and 1k stam regen which allows me to dodge more reliably.
  • Ectheliontnacil
    Ectheliontnacil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Subversus
    @thankyourat

Thx a lot for the suggestions! Will try them out.

Here comes the amber plasm farm (sigh).
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Subversus
    @thankyourat

Thx a lot for the suggestions! Will try them out.

Here comes the amber plasm farm (sigh).

As an alternative to farming amber, you can just run 5x maiden/Spinners 5x Shackle 1x Domi and VMA resto. Or Lich+Spinners 1 Domi 1 Groth(or 2 zaan 2 BS, etc)

I run the Lich setup with 3x tri-glyphs which gives the same max stam as a Shackle setup.

I’m at 44k max mag, over 2k regen before Lich, 3.2k spell damage(not in cloak) with infused berserker plus spinners penetration and 14k stam.

I probably dodge roll less than @subversus but I find that 14k stam is enough with either tri-pots or immov pots
    Edited by Lexxypwns on March 17, 2018 5:35PM
  • Ectheliontnacil
    Ectheliontnacil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Lexxypwns Hehe good idea, I really do hate farming :D .

Also I thought 5x shackle, 5 pc lich (2h bar) and 1 domihaus + 1vma resto might work. Very similar to the standard sorc setup, but with a vma resto instead of a master destro staff :smile: .
    Edited by Ectheliontnacil on March 19, 2018 3:07AM
  • kadar
    kadar
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I haven't tried it, or know much about it. Assuming it's for snare removal and the extra damage? I usually run mist if I want to get out of snares, but I guess with momentum I could drop vamp...