Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Suggestions for the post- release PTS server

Mephilis78
Mephilis78
✭✭✭
So I recently got myself a decent computer, so I downloaded the old PTS Server that I haven't played since the original ESO beta.

I noticed that I had to start an all new character, and it started me off with several thousand crowns, and everything on the crown store is 1 crown each. This is intriguing, to me.
I need to ask two questions from people who have used PTS since the initial release of ESO. First, would it be a good idea to try and max out my new character, so that I can take advantage of, and test, the end game level content that is released to the server? Second, are the crowns there for the purpose of buying up literally every single crown store item for testing? Or do I have to ration them for use with future patches? (I do think that if everything cost 1 crown and I have nearly six thousand of them, I could probably buy everything and still have a lot left, though)

Some mmos don't allow people to use PTS when they aren't testing a new patch or dlc, so my final question is; Is it kosher for me to mess around on PTS during the non-test periods in order to level my character?

"'You have suffered for me to win this throne, and I see how you hate jungle. Let me show you the power of Talos Stormcrown, born of the North, where my breath is long winter. I breathe now, in royalty, and reshape this land which is mine. I do this for you, Red Legions, for I love you.'" The Many Headed Talos - Michael Kirkbride
  • RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mephilis78 wrote: »
    So I recently got myself a decent computer, so I downloaded the old PTS Server that I haven't played since the original ESO beta.

I noticed that I had to start an all new character, and it started me off with several thousand crowns, and everything on the crown store is 1 crown each. This is intriguing, to me.
    I need to ask two questions from people who have used PTS since the initial release of ESO. First, would it be a good idea to try and max out my new character, so that I can take advantage of, and test, the end game level content that is released to the server? Second, are the crowns there for the purpose of buying up literally every single crown store item for testing? Or do I have to ration them for use with future patches? (I do think that if everything cost 1 crown and I have nearly six thousand of them, I could probably buy everything and still have a lot left, though)

Some mmos don't allow people to use PTS when they aren't testing a new patch or dlc, so my final question is; Is it kosher for me to mess around on PTS during the non-test periods in order to level my character?

Characters on the PTS are not for keeps. The entire server is completely wiped at least twice during each PTS cycle, and all the characters on it are deleted when that happens.

When a PTS cycle starts the server is wiped and all the characters from the live NA server are copied onto it. EU players have to make new characters to use the PTS when that happens. Usually, after two weeks, the PTS server is wiped again and the characters from the EU server are copied onto it. Players from the NA server then have to make new characters to use the PTS.

At the end of a PTS cycle the server may be wiped again in order to put the NA characters back on. NA and EU characters usually take turn about on the PTS server after each testing cycle ends. At the moment EU characters have been left on the PTS after the end of the Update 17 cycle.

The PTS server may also be wiped without notice if there is a technical issue that needs to be fixed.

When you create a character on PTS you do not need to start at level 1. There are "template characters" provided, at least one of which in any test cycle will be max level and max CP. On the current Update 17 PTS there is only one template character, and this starts at CP720 (the current effective maximum). Template characters come complete with all skills learnt as well as a huge amount of almost every imaginable type of equipment and consumables.

You can spend the crowns as you please on PTS. Your crown total is reset back 5000 every day regardless of what you spent the day before. This allows players to play with crown store stuff before it is released onto live to see if it breaks.

You can do whatever you want on the PTS. There is no obligation to do any actual testing, not even while a PTS cycle is on-going.

Regardless of whether you're a dedicated tester or not, playing around with all the stuff on PTS is great fun, especially if you know you will never get to have that stuff on Live.
    PC EU
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to PTS, @Mephilis78!
    First, would it be a good idea to try and max out my new character, so that I can take advantage of, and test, the end game level content that is released to the server?

There are already max level character templates available to you on PTS. From the new character screen, simply choose the CP template character from the drop-down in the upper left corner. The templates have plenty of CP, skill points, fully researched traits, 5-pc armor sets and other end game gear, and all the crafting recipes, ingredients, mats, and motifs you might need. Templates are always available during PTS testing ... even when your character copies are active. On a template, note that it will take some time up front to allocate skill points, CP, mount riding, mundus, and selecting gear sets.

During the active PTS cycle, the NA and EU character copies rotate every two weeks. That means your characters are copied over from the Live server so that you can test the new content on PTS with your characters and give feedback. After two weeks of testing, your characters are wiped on PTS and EU players receive their character copies for testing (or vice versa if you’re on EU).

Second, are the crowns there for the purpose of buying up literally every single crown store item for testing? Or do I have to ration them for use with future patches?

Yes, crowns are pretty unlimited on PTS ... since it’s the test environment. You will be replenished up to a 5,500 crown balance every day. No rationing needed. As you pointed out, purchases are only one (1) crown. Some players (including myself) do purchase a ton of items in the PTS crown store. An example might be to test clipping issues on costumes or troubleshooting the outfit overlay.

Is it kosher for me to mess around on PTS during the non-test periods in order to level my character?

Yes, logging on to PTS outside of the active PTS cycle is encouraged.

ZOS likes it when players find new issues or bugs that may have sneaked through to Live. Players (including myself) like it for doing theorycrafting on builds ... without worrying about the up front investment that is usually expensive on Live. My current PvP healer build was done on PTS before Live. Gold improvement tempers, kutas, hakeijos, and CP160 refined mats (even if in inventory and not bought) are all expensive endeavors.

Finally, note that the next PTS cycle may likely be a closed Beta for the new Summerset Isles chapter. Closed Betas are invite only ... based on the amount of PTS testing a player has done in the past.

Edited by Taleof2Cities on March 11, 2018 9:36PM
  • MacCait
    MacCait
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A couple of other interesting things to note...

Many items such as food, motifs etc that you might buy from the crown store for 1 crown, are actually already inside your inventory, hidden within crates, within crates, within crates. I had bought food etc from the store only to later find I had bountiful amounts of al sorts of food within my inventory.

You also have tons of crafting materials, and dungeon/trial sets too.

I learnt something else very interesting a few days ago... passed on by other players in the forum. Inside the crates you aso have hidden items, items that won't show up in the inventory... they only appear once you 'take all'. When I was searching for rubedite and end level 160 resources, I couldn't find it anywhere. Turned out all I had to do was to 'take all' and it magically appeared in my inventory. The same with sets of gear etc. Must be a programming error. But the great thing is the PTS has everything you need to test anything you want to... and now also with gamepad support too. The PTS really is such a great tool
  • Mephilis78
    Mephilis78
    ✭✭✭
    Welcome to PTS, @Mephilis78!

ZOS likes it when players find new issues or bugs that may have sneaked through to Live. Players (including myself) like it for doing theorycrafting on builds ... without worrying about the up front investment that is usually expensive on Live. My current PvP healer build was done on PTS before Live. Gold improvement tempers, kutas, hakeijos, and CP160 refined mats (even if in inventory and not bought) are all expensive endeavors.

Is that how Deltia's pumps out so many builds so quickly?

BTW thanks to all of you for you quick replies!
    "'You have suffered for me to win this throne, and I see how you hate jungle. Let me show you the power of Talos Stormcrown, born of the North, where my breath is long winter. I breathe now, in royalty, and reshape this land which is mine. I do this for you, Red Legions, for I love you.'" The Many Headed Talos - Michael Kirkbride
  • Mephilis78
    Mephilis78
    ✭✭✭

Regardless of whether you're a dedicated tester or not, playing around with all the stuff on PTS is great fun, especially if you know you will never get to have that stuff on Live.

I did play around a bit. It reminds me of having all the cheats to one of the main TES games.
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One thing I recently found with the CP720 template character is that it doesn't come with maxed inventory, so beware of the "take all" filling you up. Since your inventory is initially crammed with cases of stuff to open, that can quickly be an issue.

I was intending to test-furnish one of the larger homes, and expanding out the furnishings (which have to be placed from inventory) became an exercise in inventory management, instead of what I'd been intending. There was probably an easy way to grab that bag space, but it was buried in the flood of sheer stuff.

The notifications when you take all the plans run for ever, too. Make sure to give yourself enough time for setup! I got about as far as placing the crafting stations to make the furnishings when I ran out of my self-imposed PTS time allotment.
  • Grimm13
    Grimm13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would be good if the information in this thread were made into a concise guide to PTS and then locked and pinned for reference. Guess that would make too much sense.
    https://sparkforautism.org/

Season of DraggingOn
    It's your choice on how you vote with your $

PC-NA