Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

Light Armor. Shirts vs Robes! Which do you like more?!

• Donari
    Donari
    ✭✭✭✭
    Shirt
    Ch4mpTW wrote: »
    Tryxus wrote: »
    You're not a real mage unless you wear a robe

This. This right here. Whenever I think of a mage; or wizard, I assume a robe of sorts is involved. What type of master of the arcane arts goes about doing their magic in a jerkin? That’s so inappropriate. Proper attire is important for certain tasks. Especially when handling such dangerous things as spells and incantations.

Tell that to this guy (art by zix72 on Deviant Art):
    battle_mage_by_zix72-d78kth5.jpg

While I do like robes, I like proper cloth physics in them. ESO provides odd stiff tubes that bend in two places. Plus I've done enough reenactment to know that it's a lot harder to roam through rough terrain and brush, much less fight in it, if you constantly have to use at least one hand to gather up your skirts lest you trip. Heck, I wear a full length kimono robe at home and have to use a hand on the cloth just to get up the stairs.

So sure, pull on the ungainly amounts of dangling fabric if you're an indoors research mage (though then you have to deal with spills and flames), but if you're out and about you're going to need something more practical. That said, if ESO robes had flowing skirts that swirled and billowed and hung in graceful folds and flared out (realistically, not cartoonishly) when running, I'd deck my characters in them.
  • Minalan
    Minalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Robe
    I like the mercenary robe, it looks more like a Harry Dresden-style duster than a bathrobe.
  • Silver_Strider
    Silver_Strider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Robe
    You're not magic if you don't wear a robe.
    Argonian forever
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Different things for different characters.
  • Lestorn
    Lestorn
    ✭✭✭
    Shirt
    idk wrote: »
    Why did OP not provide an answer for me to choose? I could care less about shirt or robe. Often it is a heavy armor piece and often it is covered by a costume. Basically, I am not concerned either way.

Because Heavy armor isn't light armor! Exit is behind you.
  • Lestorn
    Lestorn
    ✭✭✭
    Shirt
    Also fairly shocked this is getting as much attention as it is. ^_^
  • IZZEFlameLash
    IZZEFlameLash
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Robe
    Really dependent on the styles. I like them both.
    Imperials, the one and true masters of all mortal races of Tamriel
  • Nemesis7884
    Nemesis7884
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shirt
    the ones that i like the best are those "half long" robes like ebony or mercenary
  • bottleofsyrup
    bottleofsyrup
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shirt
    Much prefer shirts. Never liked the whole stereotypical "wizard wears robe" thing.
    the ones that i like the best are those "half long" robes like ebony or mercenary

I love those, or the leg styles that fulfill this.
  • Skayaq
    Skayaq
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Robes for healers, Shirt for DD.
    Kazari-Dar, Khajiit Nightblade..........Jarkyr Storm-Blade, Nord Sorcerer .......... Dunric Amedain, Breton Templar

Araniwen, Altmer Sorcerer..................Llirasa Andralu, Dunmer Templar...................Marzug gro-Borgaz, Orc Warden

Calinchel, Bosmer Warden...................Jahrel-Xei, Argonian Nightblade....................Cienri Maraeud, Breton Sorcerer

Inara Savicci, Imperial Templar...................Garoric Attilus, Imperial Dragonknight............ Maevina Tallian, Imperial Nightblade

Ravanni-Ko, Khajiit Dragonknight..........Faevyn Ice-Heart, Nord Warden..........Nazran al-Taneth, Redguard Dragonknight
  • Jhalin
    Jhalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Shirt
    anything skirt-like doesn't get along with walking and running animations with personalities active
  • Lestorn
    Lestorn
    ✭✭✭
    Shirt
    Lets keep the votes coming!
  • Aebaradath
    Aebaradath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shirt
    Robes cover leg armor, which I hate.
  • kind_hero
    kind_hero
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shirt
    Went for shirts, because the robes in this game seem to bulky and impractical. Also I dislike the flaps on robes.

For my sorc I use costume dresses sometimes, which look better.

The old Elder Scrolls games have many skinny outfits... so not all the mages wear robes like in Tolkien's fantasy.
    [PC/EU] Tamriel Hero, Stormproof, Grand Master Crafter
  • Azurya
    Azurya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shirt
    it is named jerkin ingame
  • SnubbS
    SnubbS
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shirt
    Robes are supposed to be the "Cool" option—but they just look awful in ESO for whatever reason. Shirt/Costume only.
    Xbox NA: SnubbS
    GoW eSports player & part time ESO Pug Ball Zerger.
    GB
  • feyii
    feyii
    ✭✭✭✭
    Robe
    I don't like the look of most jerkins, so I rarely use them and greatly prefer robes. If I don't want my characters to wear a robe, they don't use light armour for the chest piece.
    Edited by feyii on March 12, 2018 11:49AM
  • knaveofengland
    knaveofengland
    ✭✭✭
    Shirt
    has to be shirt every time , the robe is like a dress , there used to be very old fashioned ideas about robes/dresses , just looks { oddbod } to wear the robe .

my nan used to say she couldnt trust a man wearing a dress/robe unless it was danny de rue , work that one out .
  • Lestorn
    Lestorn
    ✭✭✭
    Shirt
    Ouchies. Robes are getting stomped on hard! Honestly did not expect this!
  • Blackbird_V
    Blackbird_V
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shirt
    Jerkins look way better than ugly leg dress things.

Also would love a shirtless option >.>
    Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 25 DLCs. 41 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game.
  • jlmurra2
    jlmurra2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Robe
    I choose to wear robes most of the time, but shirts work better sometimes. It really depends on the character for me.
  • Violynne
    Violynne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shirt
    I have one character wearing robes and another wearing the shirt.

Shirt > robes.

One, dyeing shirts is better applied. I don't like the "large areas" skirts fill in and we can't control it.

Two, Khajiit doesn't like tail tucked under a robe.

Three, tired of all you pervs trying to look under my skirt.

Four, robe not short enough.

Tongue-in-cheek reply. ;)
  • Lestorn
    Lestorn
    ✭✭✭
    Shirt
    *casts revive*
  • Michae
    Michae
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Shirt
    I don't like how robes stick to legs so shirts it is.
    "I bear the cruel weight of certainty. Total, absolute, relentless certainty. People rarely comprehend the luxury of doubt... the freedom that comes with indecision. I envy you."
    Sotha Sil

@Michae PC/EU
  • WolfingHour
    WolfingHour
    ✭✭✭✭
    Shirt
    Robes look far too stiff for me. Like I jumped in the sea and dried off in the sun.
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shirt
    Personally I prefer the shirts. Robes have too many clipping and stretching issues which bug me.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lestorn wrote: »
    Shirts vs Robes! Which do you like more?
    Depends entirely on the character.

Kelasendar my magica Sorc usually wears a knee-length robe just as he did back when he still was a librarian in his backstory, except in his summer outfit where he only has a short kilt for when he visits hot and damp climates like murkmire...

Alakserden my magica DK always wears long robes, because he is a noble dunmer who thinks that this is befitting his station

Skelandera my magica necro wears a robe for now, though who knows, i expect I will tinker with her outfits in the days to come...

Andrea Selk my magica NB usually wears a shirt and pants as outfit, but often a hooded robe costume during the day, because she is a vampire and trying to hide that...

Deslankera my magica Templar wears a long robe in her "winter" outfit, because she is a priestess, and a shirt with short skirt in her "summer" outfit because robes are too warm for summer!

Selkendara my magica warden always wears a skimpy shirt and short skirt, because she is a happy tree friend bosmer girl and never has been in colder regions yet...
  • BretonMage
    BretonMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Robe
    I’d like the shirts more if they didn’t have enormous groin flaps. At least robes do a better job of hiding them.

But yes, long robes do look rather inconvenient.
  • barney2525
    barney2525
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Shirt
    There are a lot more options using the shirt, mixing and matching legs.

• barney2525
    barney2525
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Shirt
    Dagoth_Rac wrote: »
    I can't wear the jerkins. They always remind me of the "puffy shirt" from that episode of Seinfeld.

Lot of jerkins are sleeveless or short sleeved tho.