Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Help me build a hybrid DPS toon.

josiahva
josiahva
✭✭✭✭✭
Yes, I know that hybrids will never be top-tier at anything...and that's fine. My goal here is a hybrid toon to run daily pledges, overland content, etc. The goal is 30k DPS. Suggestions for sets and race, enchants, traits,skills,mundus etc welcome.

First off, I am torn on what race and class to use, I am thinking Dunmer(for stam and magicka boosts...as well as fire mitigation for the inevitable vamp)
Class is completely up in the air and I have no idea what will be best

The only thing I do have so far is a full set of gold Pelinial's medium(with the exception of the belt which is light), infused(maybe this is better as Divines?) with Hakeijo enchants(possibly better with stam enchants for the small pieces?).
I would love to go Shacklebreaker as 2nd set, but since no jewelry crafting is available, that's a no-go. Obviously I am trying to stack weapon damage with this setup, so maybe Dreugh King for the 2nd set and one piece each of Kena and Velidreth? The major brutality from Dreugh King would make up for a lacking skill if I chose a class without easy access to that buff. I plan on dual-wield front bar and possibly a Fire staff back bar?(regardless, I want flexibility to play at either melee range or ranged)
  • BuddyAces
    BuddyAces
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    2h stamina sorc with Lil scampy pet.
    They nerfed magsorcs so hard stamsorcs felt it,lol - Somber97866

I'm blown away by the utter stupidity I see here on the daily. - Wrekkedd
  • josiahva
    josiahva
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll pass on the 2H, thanks, worst of both worlds there...loss of a slot without the range.
  • Muttsmutt
    Muttsmutt
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    giphy.gif
    PC-EU // UNDEAD
  • Kuramas9tails
    Kuramas9tails
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you want to be a hybrid, don't expect 30K DPS.
      Your friendly neighborhood crazy cat lady of ESO
      New PSN name: SundariTheLast. Proud seller in RedEye Empire, PURPLE GANG and Backalley Trading.
      AD High Elf Mageblade DPS (General)(Former Empress) -- Stormproof/VMOL, VHOF, VDSA completion
      AD Khajiit Mageblade DPS -- Flawless Conquerer
      FOR THE QUEEN!
      PS4/NA
    • CardboardedBox
      CardboardedBox
      ✭✭✭✭
      Well, first you start off by don't.
    • Sixty5
      Sixty5
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      Try a sorc with Lighting staff and bow

Stack liquid lighting, blockade of Storms, caltrops, and Endless hail.

Go pileanials plus one of those sets that gives you massive amounts of weapon damage with VMA bow and staff

When you parse just pray that you get a ton of implosion procs during execute and you might just hit 20k dps.

Hybrids make for garbage dps.
      Lord and Savior of the Association of Serious S***posters.

I play a character called "Gives Me Wood Elf" because I am a mature and sensible person.
      Stam Sorc main in Battlegrounds
    • jedtb16_ESO
      jedtb16_ESO
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      i have tried many hybrid builds.... lots of combinations of skills and gear.

many, many months of frustration.

i stopped because hybrids just don't fit this game.
    • srfrogg23
      srfrogg23
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭
      Yeah, hybrids are fun for goofing off in the solo content, just don’t expect it to hit 30k... ever.
    • Iselin
      Iselin
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭
      5 pieces of Pelinal's Aptitude. The rest is up to you.
      (5 items) Your Weapon Damage and Spell Damage both become the highest of the two values
    • boombazookajd
      boombazookajd
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Just do you man and enjoy it. You're going to get a lot of "hybrids suck" responses, and they have merit but from everything I've ever read on here, you won't find something that hits 30k. I have an Imperial stamDK with 2 pc Skoria, 5 pc Red Mountain, and 5 piece Hundings and I can hit for 18k with 265 CP's. Probably more with a tighter rotation, maybe 20k. Everything is purple and follows Alcast's venom build, with the exception of using RM instead of Sunderflame.

I don't get a ton of pen but for pug's, pledges, and overland it does just fine.
      Drathus Delenu- Dunmer magDk: Shehai Shatterer, Mageslayer, Stormproof, Peak Scaler, Clockwork Confounder, Orderly, Master Wizard, Cloudrest Hero, Undaunted, Dragonstar Arena Champion
      Thoronir Rolston- Breton petsorc: Stormproof
      Zaakazha-Redguard stamblade: Boethia's Scythe, Clockwork Confounder, Maelstrom Arena Champion, Dragonstar Arena Champion

Scrubs:
      Justinius Maximus Decimus- Altmer magblade
      Agronak gro'Mashul- Orc DK Tank
      Valerya Hawkcroft- Breton healer
      Zaaka- Imperial stamDK/crafter

✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      First, pug into a vet dungeon run.

Then, remove yourself from group.

Success! You, as a hybrid, got the treatment all hybrids get!
      Best Argonian NA and I will fight anyone for it

17 Argonians

6x IR, 6x GH, 7x TTT, 4x GS, 4x DB, 1x PB, 3x SBS, 1x Unchained
    • D0PAMINE
      D0PAMINE
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      I found it's easier to use Stam weapons and weapon skills and magicka class skills.
      Edited by D0PAMINE on March 1, 2018 9:46PM
    • Tannus15
      Tannus15
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭
      It hurts me to say it, but hybrids really are terrible.
      pelinial's and weapon damage really is the only way to do it and be semi ok, but you lose a huge amount of damage since your skills are hitting half as hard. The other problem is that pelinial's is a bad set. Think about it from a single resource point of view. It does nothing to increase your dps and the 2 to 4 pc set bonuses are rubbish, so you're using a 5pc set just to be the same as a non hybrid build with no set.

You can do things like bow / staff 5pc pelinials with 5pc spriggan and lover mundas giving you decent weapon / spell damage and 9k phys and spell penetration but you're still going to be sitting on 24k magi and stam, at best, meaning you're missing a huge amount of damage and you only have 34% crit chance. (10% + CP 12% + major crit buff)

You can stack your CP's into direct damage and dot but anything you put into damage increase or penetration is only going to benefit half your damage.

I tried medium armour with pelinial and stack weapon damage as high as possible, I think buffed I was sitting on 5k weapon and spell damage, but it's still rubbish because of the lack of CP, lack of penetration and lack of crit. I had this whole plan of a DK, burning both resource pools and then using the ult to regain both resources, but it was still worse than just going pure stam.
    • Chilly-McFreeze
      Chilly-McFreeze
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭
      Old but gold: *click*

Haven't tried this for a while but was a lot of fun back then, and the theorycrafter pulled 36k with it.
      Of course there are a few patch notes between then and now. So try it and please tag me when you tell us how it went.
    • Tannus15
      Tannus15
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭
      It's worth adding the the "real" advantage of hyrbis would be access to more more skills, but since you can only slot 5 skills per bar, that advantage is, well, not an advantage really.
    • BuddyAces
      BuddyAces
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      josiahva wrote: »
      I'll pass on the 2H, thanks, worst of both worlds there...loss of a slot without the range.

You do know that 2h can pull crazy numbers coupled with high burst right? I wasn't being sarcastic in my post. 2h gets a gap closer, cc, nutty self heal (combined with sorcs already awesome self heal), shields, they look wicked sick and an under appreciated ultimate.

With sorcs you have some crazy arse skills too with dark deal morphs and streak skills. Don't forget you get a free third bar you could use for utility. Heck go all out with your hybrid and go 2h on one bar and destro on the other.
      They nerfed magsorcs so hard stamsorcs felt it,lol - Somber97866

I'm blown away by the utter stupidity I see here on the daily. - Wrekkedd
    • Tannus15
      Tannus15
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭
      Old but gold: *click*

Haven't tried this for a while but was a lot of fun back then, and the theorycrafter pulled 36k with it.
      Of course there are a few patch notes between then and now. So try it and please tag me when you tell us how it went.

no one uses thief since it got nerfed. Probably worth swapping that for the lover.

maelstrom weapons are bad now, probably want to swap them out too. anything with a 2pc weapon damage would probably work better. you may get more mileage from 2 master weapons buffing the blood craze damage tick.

Swap out rapid strikes for hidden blade and you get major brutality since you don't need rapid to proc the vma buff anymore.
      the storm atro buff was actually a nerf for hybrid builds, so that sucks, so i'd drop that, change daedric prey for haunting curse and run the destro ult.
      Edited by Tannus15 on March 1, 2018 11:12PM
    • KingYogi415
      KingYogi415
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      i'd be surprised if you could break 20k
    • Sevn
      Sevn
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Try YouTube, you won't find anything but negative posts here.
      There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man, true nobility is being superior to your former self
      -Hemingway
    • Lynx7386
      Lynx7386
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      I think probably the best option is aoe for stacking with a bow + lightning staff on a Sorceror. Power surge gives both major brutality and sorcery, you get passive bonuses to both weapon and spell damage and magicka/stamina coat reduction. Use bound armaments for 8% more max stamina and extra heavy attack damage, paired with inner light for extra magicka and spell crit. The bound armaments heavy attack bonus applies to both magicka and stamina weapons.

On the bow bar use endless hail (with a vma bow), razor caltrops, and Rearming trap. On the staff bar elemental blockade, liquid lightning, and slot power surge there. Basically just stack dots and heavy attack with the staff.

As for sets, i would probably go with shacklebreaker and something else, but not pelinals, there are better sets now for hybrids.

It will never be as good as a pure build but it should at least manage enough for dungeon runs. You could throw potatoes at dungeon bosses and do more damage than some pug dps players ive seen.
      PS4 / NA
      M'asad - Khajiit Nightblade - Healer
      Pakhet - Khajiit Dragonknight - Tank
      Raksha - Khajiit Sorcerer - Stamina DPS
      Bastet - Khajiit Templar - Healer
      Leonin - Khajiit Warden - Tank
    • Glurin
      Glurin
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭
      I tried Shacklebreaker for a while. Had better luck with Pelinal's. Still, if the datamining rumors are true, I'll be looking forward to trying Shacklebreaker as my second set. Don't listen to the people saying you'll never get above 20k on a hybrid. That's not so hard to do. 30k is a decent goal. Don't know if you'll hit it, but you'll probably at the very least get close.
      "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster...when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you..."
    • SoLooney
      SoLooney
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      lol can u even hit 30k not even going hybrid? make some realistic goals
    • Tannus15
      Tannus15
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭
      Glurin wrote: »
      I tried Shacklebreaker for a while. Had better luck with Pelinal's. Still, if the datamining rumors are true, I'll be looking forward to trying Shacklebreaker as my second set. Don't listen to the people saying you'll never get above 20k on a hybrid. That's not so hard to do. 30k is a decent goal. Don't know if you'll hit it, but you'll probably at the very least get close.

My hybrid was sitting on 22k i think. Over 20 is easy and the build worked fine for most dungeon content. I'd never take it in DLC or trials however.
    • Sixty5
      Sixty5
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      Actually thinking about it. Innate Axiom would be a far better set to run than Pelenials.

Though if jewelcrafting goes live, you'd probably want to run both
      Lord and Savior of the Association of Serious S***posters.

I play a character called "Gives Me Wood Elf" because I am a mature and sensible person.
      Stam Sorc main in Battlegrounds
    • Jhalin
      Jhalin
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭
      If you really wanna do hybrid, NB class with Pelinials and 3 piece of a stam based set with Slayer (as they often have weapon damage attached, which almost always be higher than Spell damage), with a heavy focus into class abilities, since they aren't weapon restricted.

NB for multiple reasons, but primarily the passives.
      • Assassination gives you access to Minor Berserk, extra critical chance and damage (spell AND weapon crit)
      • Shadow gives you Major Resolve and Major Ward, 15% recovery across the board, and Max Health. Shades also applies main to make solo content that much easier
      • Siphoning provides strong ulti generation, more Max Magicka, increased Healing Done, and Major Savagery and Brutality through Sap Essence if you chose to play in melee range.

For race, Dunmer seems fine.

DW gets you the highest raw Weapon Damage, into the 4K range fairly easy with Brutality, and that will apply to Spell Damage with Pelinials, but since you seem to prefer ranged combat, Bow is decent and gives you AoE DoTs in Endless Hail. I would use this as the main bar, and keep backbar as an Inferno staff for Blockade, Destro ult, and other long lasting buffs.

You'll have to figure out your skill bars to manage what stats you want to prioritize. Personally I'd use Bow on my front bar to maximize my Weapon Damage (and Spell Damage by extension), and use Siphon Soul as a main spammable (good damage, good heal), with Poison Injection, Hail, etc. Backbar Destro Staff for Blockade, Destro Ult, Shades, one of the Focus and Strikes morphs (up to preference).

Really it's up to you how you wanna manage your skills.

Bear in mind you probably aren't gonna hit 30k with any hybrid build. The game just wasn't designed fo them to function properly given the way stat pool and damage scalings work.
    • nihirisutou
      nihirisutou
      ✭✭✭
      Maybe crazy, but all pieces divines and Twice Born Star : Max Stam and Max Mag mundus?
      [PS4/EU]

PSN: Nihirisutou

CP: 650+

FOR THE DOMINION!!
    • ccfeeling
      ccfeeling
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      If your hybrid toon just for daily pledges , I think any build is OK unless you wanna play in DLC pledges HM ...
    • zaria
      zaria
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Muttsmutt wrote: »
      giphy.gif
      Not nice, you almost destroyed my keyboard.
      Grinding just make you go in circles.
      Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
    • Armatesz
      Armatesz
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      If you want to be a hybrid, don't expect 30K DPS.

it depends... you can get some hybrids that can do more than 30k dps.
      Ärmätèsz
      Xbox NA
      Guildless (by choice)
    • ParaNostram
      ParaNostram
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      @josiahva This video is single handedly the best resource I've found.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qF3LaYfNTaU
      "Your mistake is you begged for your life, not for mercy. I will show you there are many fates worse than death."

Para Nostram
      Bosmer Sorceress
      Witch of Evermore

"Death is a privilege that can be denied by it's learned scholars."
      Order of the Black Worm