The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Balance for Block-casting, and Soft CCs at all?

MaxwellC
MaxwellC
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
Can there finally be something for both Block-casting and soft cc spams?

Block-casting is the act of damaging someone while you're blocking and can also be when you're healing. The issue mainly if not always occurs with the Magicka class since they rely on Magicka to deal damage/heal rather than stamina.

Example A: Mag DK holds block and fossilizes/talons into power lashes/embers,etc.
You can continue to hard CC but as a stamina character your stamina in which you use to dole out damage is being sucked away by breaking hard CCs then trying to purge talons with shuffle or dodge roll out so you can re-engage the target.This right here is a problem because that Mag DK is taking less damage when you're trying to dole it out while doing the maximum damage whilst having block up.
^ That in its self just sounds completely broken if not plain stupid.

Example B: Mag Templar continues to use Breath of Life while blocking negating your damage completely thus burning your resources as they usually have their circle up to slow you while they power of life into toppling charge/jabs combo. You can return fire to them but unfortunately its met with the same old holding block while they heal to full in just 1 or 2 breaths. You can throw up a Hard CC but correct me if I'm wrong all Hard CCs are Magicka based e.g fear for nightblade, fossilize for dragonknight, prison or w/e for sorc, and I think that's it.

Soft CC spams are still completely ridiculous and this primarily comes from the Magicka DK class but Sorcs are also guilty of it since ZOS increased the ability (I think it's called encase). You just sit there and spam soft CCs which generally affect the stamina class more since it takes a toll on our stamina pool. There is not counter to soft cc spams like a cc immunity which I find that to be well... stupid.

Summary: Add some real counters to Block-casting for example halving the damage/healing done while blocking (not affecting healing received from other players and healing given to other players.) and adding soft cc immunity after 2 have been placed on you.

Note: Hard CCs are all Magicka based and dizzing swing/draining shot are both knock backs that do not go through block; A Hard CC goes through block.

Edited to change from 'perma'-blocking to block-casting as block-casting is what I really meant as pointed out by someone below.
Edited by MaxwellC on March 1, 2018 6:45PM
不動の Steadfast - Unwavering
XBL Gamer Tag - Maxwell
XB1 Maxwell Crystal - NA DC CP 800+ Redguard Stamina DK
XB1 Max Crystal - NA DC CP 800+ Brenton Magicka DK
PC Maxwell-Crystal - NA DC - CP 200+ Brenton Magicka DK 「Retired」
Band Camp statements: To state "But this one time I saw X doing X... so that justifies X" Refers to the Band camp statement.
Coined by Maxwel
l
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Again?

I'm only going to "perma-block" to counter the ridiculous 4000-5000+ weapon damage builds that attack me. I don't want to "permablock"; I lose damage, lose ultimate regeneration, drain my stamina, lose out on weapon enchants/poisons, etc. I only do this if I'm in danger of dying. I only do this because of threads like this one that have asked for nerfs and have prompted Zos to take away every defensive skill I have that's worth slotting.

Now you want to cut my healing in half (which my opponents are already doing because Defile + CP is OP) while using the only tactic I have left to counter 4500+ weapon damage builds. How about we cut your healing in half while you are cloaking, dodge rolling, shielding, running around trees, etc.?

Troll tank builds that wants to perma-block aren't going to kill people who are halfway decent at this game
  • Kartalin
    Kartalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    How much stamina do you think a typical magdk has? It’s usually around 12-16k tops. Need to cc them back and run out that stat pool.
    • PC/NA
    • Karllotta, AD Magplar, AR 50
    • Hatched-In-Glacier, DC Magden, AR 44
    • Miraliys, EP Warden, AR 35
    • Kartalin, AD Stamblade, AR 35
    • Kallenna, AD Magcro, AR 34
    • Miralys, EP Magsorc, AR 34
    • Milthalas, EP Magblade, AR 34
    • Lemon Party - Meanest Girls - @ Kartalin - Youtube
  • MaxwellC
    MaxwellC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Joy_Division
    Uh I don't have cloak and again what you're stating that it is totally fine to be able to be completely defensive while pumping out an offensive stat with no penalties?
    You're joking right like that is utter nonsense; My Mag DK who can perma-block as well has nearly 3.5k spell power with 2k mag regen and I perma-block people with my soft cc spam because it's just that easy.

I'm not sure if you understand the concept of permablock which I laid out clearly that it is when you're sitting there holding block to no end but are still able to deal damage and that is the problem. You deal damage with no fall off whilst blocking and if you're a Magicka character well that advantage is more geared in your field because you can keep that up since stamina is only used for your break free/blocks while stamina players use this for damaging as well/healing.
    XBL Gamer Tag - Maxwell
    Band Camp statements: To state "But this one time I saw X doing X... so that justifies X" Refers to the Band camp statement.
    Coined by Maxwel
    l
  • MaxwellC
    MaxwellC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Kartalin
    I've responded to that argument already and yeah in my Signature it clearly shows I play a Mag DK as well. You state that I would need to drain their stamina stat and yeah that is easier said than done when you have to face hard cc to soft cc spam.

The point is, if you're blocking you should not be able to deal out 100% of the damage as if its normal because it isn't.
    XBL Gamer Tag - Maxwell
    Coined by Maxwel
    l
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MaxwellC wrote: »
    @Joy_Division
    Uh I don't have cloak and again what you're stating that it is totally fine to be able to be completely defensive while pumping out an offensive stat with no penalties?
    You're joking right like that is utter nonsense; My Mag DK who can perma-block as well has nearly 3.5k spell power with 2k mag regen and I perma-block people with my soft cc spam because it's just that easy.

I'm not sure if you understand the concept of permablock which I laid out clearly that it is when you're sitting there holding block to no end but are still able to deal damage and that is the problem. You deal damage with no fall off whilst blocking and if you're a Magicka character well that advantage is more geared in your field because you can keep that up since stamina is only used for your break free/blocks while stamina players use this for damaging as well/healing.

Just because I don't agree with you doesn't mean I don't understand your argument.

How am I dealing damage on my templar holding block to no end? Are you getting Reflective Light spammed to death? What does it matter if you don;t have cloak? Why can cloakers, shielders, dodge-rollers, and people with actual mobility that can run around trees can heal up with using their defensive skills, whereas I have no defensive skills in the first place and have to get my heals cut in half when I try to defend myself against your 3.5K spell damage, soft CC spam, and infinite sustain DK?

Edited by Joy_Division on February 28, 2018 6:14PM
  • ak_pvp
    ak_pvp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Add some real counters to Perma-blocking for example halving the damage/healing done while blocking (not affecting healing received from other players and healing given to other players.) and adding soft cc immunity after 2 have been placed on you."

Yeah, gg. Kill PvE tanks and MDK all together. What absolute L2P level shite.

Soft CC immunity 2s when rolling, 8s from FM, or 2.5-3.5s from shuffle. Also the 2s from rolling. Also actual permablock isn't a thing. You can block a lot, but not permanently. And to actually have good effect from it you have to sacrifice damage, weaves, sustain, mag based passives etc.

You are a stamDK, judging by your flair, not in a good place. But you can use bash for defile and foss the same as a MDK to drop block. Dots too. As for "You just sit there and spam soft CCs which generally affect the stamina class more since it takes a toll on our stamina pool." You also have heavy attacks restore your main resource. Something the already bad sustaining MagDK with an s/b cannot do.

Trust me fam. I would rather have some other defense than block. Some mobility, or some sustain. But they will never change how DK works.
    MagDK main. PC/EU @AK-ESO
    Best houseknight EU.
  • Soris
    Soris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Perma" block is a direct counter to high damage builds and as long as these builds are a thing, "perma" block will be too. You are just literally asking for something to be removed because it counters damage builds. And as joy said, it just an other variant and as same as healing while dodge/cloak/shielding.

Also i think people use the terms in more correct way. "Perma" blocking need a lot of commitment to your build and sacrifices from damage and sustain. Only troll tanks can do it infinitelly. Though while it is still much more easier to achieve with an argonian dk due to their passives, it is not-so-possible with a templar and magicka especially. Most magicka templars who use foodbuff have approximetely 15k stamina and have no passives to fill their stamina other than repenting dead bodies once. Their stamina will end eventually. And in fact those heal builds dont usually perma block, they use special sets and block hard hitting attacks occasionally.

I am only blocking when i feel im in danger and about to die. So it is a life saver for me. And it is limited.
    Do some empathy how would you feel if they cut your healing in half when dodging or cloaked? You are asking the same thing.
    Welkynd [Templar/AD/EU]
  • Wycks
    Wycks
    ✭✭✭✭
    There are some chain cc's issues for sure.

But the real meta problem is some classes that can be very tanky/heals and dish out lots of dps at the same time, there's even one particular class that can do all 3 (stam warden).

Very small scale it's not bad, but start mixing up medium/large groups and the game is stale garbage. They outheal/block everything and just ult /defile for dps.

The aeo caps really did nothing because healing/tankyness is simply too powerful on the CP campaigns.

The numbers thing is always going to be there, but it’s more down to player skill and there are ways through ability choice to configure a group to be stronger vs. large groups of people. - BRAIN WHEELER - 2012 - LOL
  • MaxwellC
    MaxwellC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Joy_Division
    Mate I feel you didn't read what I said nowhere in my argument had I said anything about a templar dealing damage to no end I stated that the templar can just sit there holding block while healing to negate damage thus burning resources that I used to deal that damage.
    On your end you're burning stamina and every so often magicka but the damage is nowhere near a threat to the point you run out of magicka spamming healing. This is what you see from heal bots who's sole purpose is to run around and follow a group holding block and spamming their heals.

Your point on mobility I'm not understanding whatsoever if they ran away to heal then that's fine like what? You can't conflate you negating damage by healing since you can block/heal to someone who is leaving combat to heal up and return to combat later.
    You also think that argument doesn't hit my Mag DK; If I'm permablocking my heals as well will be cut in half not just your BoL or w/e heal you decide to use. Healing should be something you strategically do not just sit back and block all day until your opponent runs dry.
    XBL Gamer Tag - Maxwell
    Coined by Maxwel
    l
  • MaxwellC
    MaxwellC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @ak_pvp
    Heavy attacking your sustain back isn't a thing in PvP (for stamina) that is mainly a PvE thing and yeah I play mainly my stam dk but I also do play my mag dk which is built around blocking.
    I should've put 'perma' part of permablocking in quotations because I don't mean you can block infinitely but it seems that way since you can literally sit there blocking.
    On My Mag DK I stood there and ate a guys ballista (bow ulti) while draining his stam as I whipped him to death and my Stamina didn't fall below 30% especially with spell wall on my backbar.

Dks were meant to stand your ground and I'm not going to argue against that but I feel that just sitting there and blocking is cheap especially when you're trying to deal damage as a stamina character.
    DKs before didn't need to rely on a block setup in PvP but rather healing ward with igneous but that's then and this is now.
    Edited by MaxwellC on February 28, 2018 6:38PM
    XBL Gamer Tag - Maxwell
    Coined by Maxwel
    l
  • ak_pvp
    ak_pvp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @ak_pvp
    Heavy attacking your sustain back isn't a thing in PvP (for stamina) that is mainly a PvE thing and yeah I play mainly my stam dk but I also do play my mag dk which is built around blocking.
    I should've put 'perma' part of permablocking in quotations because I don't mean you can block infinteily but it seems that way since you can literally sit there blocking.
    On My Mag DK I stood there and ate a guys ballista (bow ulti) while draining his stam as I whipped him to death and my Stamina didn't fall below 30% especially with spell wall on my backbar.

Dks were meant to stand your ground and I'm not going to argue against that but I feel that just sitting there and blocking is cheap especially when you're trying to deal damage as a stamina character.
    DKs before didn't need to rely on a block setup in PvP but rather healing ward with igneous but that's then and this is now.

Since launch a DK used s/b. Yes resto builds existed. But since launch S/B has been used. And it has been constantly nerfed. On average a DK has about 700 block cost. So if hit enough that is 2800 stam per second. And at the least in a 1v1 700/s. With no regen. For the massive sacrifice I wouldn't even say block is worth it. [Not that DK has much else. Templar did at one point, but they removed flashes instead of fixing it, and nerfed purge.] Dots will still shred you, unblockable CCs exist, the drain is massive, you lose weaves+regen, and you are snared.
    Best houseknight EU.
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ak_pvp
    Heavy attacking your sustain back isn't a thing in PvP (for stamina) that is mainly a PvE thing

You say I don't understand PvP and you sit there and write that heavy attacking isn't a thing for stamina PvP?
    @Joy_Division
    Mate I feel you didn't read what I said nowhere in my argument had I said anything about a templar dealing damage to no end I stated that the templar can just sit there holding block while healing to negate damage thus burning resources that I used to deal that damage.
    On your end you're burning stamina and every so often magicka but the damage is nowhere near a threat to the point you run out of magicka spamming healing. This is what you see from heal bots who's sole purpose is to run around and follow a group holding block and spamming their heals.

Your point on mobility I'm not understanding whatsoever if they ran away to heal then that's fine like what? You can't conflate you negating damage by healing since you can block/heal to someone who is leaving combat to heal up and return to combat later.
    You also think that argument doesn't hit my Mag DK; If I'm permablocking my heals as well will be cut in half not just your BoL or w/e heal you decide to use. Healing should be something you strategically do not just sit back and block all day until your opponent runs dry.

I did read. I made it quite clear I'm a templar and you replied
    I'm not sure if you understand the concept of permablock which I laid out clearly that it is when you're sitting there holding block to no end but are still able to deal damage and that is the problem. You deal damage with no fall off whilst blocking and if you're a Magicka character well that advantage is more geared in your field because you can keep that up

Why don't you roll and stream and open world Magplar if you think it's so easy on resources to sit there holding down block spamming breath of life while still having the build to actually beat good players? Tell me how you plan on "strategically" using breath of life with no blinding flashes, no defensive eclipse, a useless sun shield, no major mending, etc. - all those things complaint posts prompted ZoS to over-nerf or outright take away - on the slowest class in the game that is the only class that has no way to CC opponents through block/dodge.

When you get frustrated such that you want to throw your computer out the window because 1vX is a losing proposition on a Magplar even with "perma-block" breath of life, you might appreciate that I do have a clue. There is a reason you wrote:
    "you see from heal bots who's sole purpose is to run around and follow a group holding block and spamming their heals."
    Edited by Joy_Division on February 28, 2018 7:15PM
  • Moglijuana
    Moglijuana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    so another nerf DK thread basically? lol. Didn't we JUST go through some nerfs? Also, what about shield stacking while applying CC's and doing damage? That's basically the same thing...that needs a nerf too! :D
    Edited by Moglijuana on February 28, 2018 7:33PM
    Ps4 - PSN:jdmaya
    Dårth Måul (AD- Dunmer Mag DK) Legate
    Latest Vid:https://youtu.be/WZp_IdyrL6Q
  • Vaelen
    Vaelen
    ✭✭✭
    Just remove permablock and tanks from the game already and kitten Vet Trials so we can begin to kitten ESO diversity, that way all the kittens can be running normal trials without blocking and with no tanks that way no kitten can QQ anymore on the forums about permablock. So let the kittening begin and remove tanks from the game! Welcome to The Kitten Scrolls Online.
  • ChildOfLight
    ChildOfLight
    ✭✭✭
    Let'f face it: permablock is an issue MagDK related.

MagDk is the only class that can effectively output insane damage, spamming hard and soft CCs through blockcasting, halving the damage received through permablocking.

10seconds of an ordinary duel with a magDK worth his salt requires you to sustain through 2 Fossilize and 10 talons while receiving insane damage, outputting 50% damage and not being able to use an hard cc on him cause of permablock.

Ah, and there is no counterplay to this playstyle.

Is this balanced? No, it's not.

BUT in this forum there are some people defending it against the evil forces, that genuinely yearn for a balanced and healthy gameplay, with their battlecry:
    "DON'T NERF ME"

Assfaces.
    Edited by ChildOfLight on March 1, 2018 9:24AM
    PC EU

Ross Campano - Imperial Dragonknight - Tanks and steals stuff from barrels
  • Azurya
    Azurya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    make blocking MAGICKA based, solves all problems
  • Qbiken
    Qbiken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Permablocking an issue? What patch is this? One Tamriel?
  • ak_pvp
    ak_pvp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

MagDk is the only class that can effectively output insane damage, spamming hard and soft CCs through blockcasting, halving the damage received through permablocking.

10seconds of an ordinary duel with a magDK worth his salt requires you to sustain through 2 Fossilize and 10 talons while receiving insane damage, outputting 50% damage and not being able to use an hard cc on him cause of permablock.

BUT in this forum there are some people defending it against the evil forces, that genuinely yearn for a balanced and healthy gameplay, with their battlecry:
    "DON'T NERF ME"

Assfaces.

Dots, unblockble CC, oblivion, ground based targets like shalk,

Trust me fam, If I could have a defense/offense that doesn't nerfed to *** because of stambois abusing heavy/block whilst being able to maintain damage with weaves, heavy attack sustain and the s/b passive. (Nerfs because of stam: wrath, constitution and all the concurrent block/sustain nerfs,) I would drop block in an instant.
    Best houseknight EU.
  • IlCanis_LupuslI
    IlCanis_LupuslI
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What really helps against mag dks... Put your vamp stage to Level 2 if your just using it for the recovery or drop it conpletely... Helps a lot :D
    Cp 1490
    Xbox-EU-AD
    Khajiit Night blade Healer(BiS for cuteness)-Flawless Conquerer Grand Overlord
    Khajiit Stamsorc Werewolf, Flawless Conquerer (1st attempt ww form during the entire dungeon) main
    Khajiit(Master Race) Templar Healer, Flawless Conquerer
    Khajiit Stam dk, Flawless conquerer, 2nd attempt
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQhCmVHwZioVyTEDberxGtA?view_as=public
    Werewolf Veteran player, Since Wrathstone-DLC "Raid-Wolf", 50k dps with fracture, Pvp Healer.
  • DKsUnite
    DKsUnite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeh it's pretty OP that i need to sacrifice a huge amount of my damage to pump up my stamina and wear bloodspawn and wear block cost reduction glyphs because i have no form of viable damage mitigation or avoidance.
    Vyr Cor | Magicka Dragonknight | DC
    Vir Cor | Stamina Dragonknight | DC

Latest Videos:
    Magicka Dragonknight: Vyr Cor | "A Dragon's Fury" | Magicka Dragonknight PvP
    Stamina Dragonknight: Vir Cor | "Heathen" | Stamina Dragonknight PvP

Youtube: CorGaming
  • Moglijuana
    Moglijuana
    ✭✭✭✭✭

"DON'T NERF ME"

Assfaces.

1. How does one "spam" hard CC's? Asking for a friend.
    2. Talons costs like 3.5k+ magicka. No MDK can spam it 10 times without going completely OOM. It's not even on my bar atm...
    3. LOL. Bleeds. Dots. Hard CC's. Ground based AoEs. Snares. Big burst in general. Fire...
    4. MDK LITERALLY JUST GOT NERFED.
    5. L2P & enjoy your day.
    Edited by Moglijuana on March 1, 2018 12:42PM
  • Ariades_swe
    Ariades_swe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow what a complete moron.
    Almost rivaling Mr Combat Physician in sheer stupidity.
  • ak_pvp
    ak_pvp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Moglijuana wrote: »

"DON'T NERF ME"

Assfaces.

2. Talons costs like 3.5k+ magicka. No MDK can spam it 10 times without going completely OOM. It's not even on my bar atm...
    3. LOL. Bleeds. Dots. Hard CC's. Ground based AoEs. Snares. Big burst in general. Fire...
    5. L2P & enjoy your day.

Your average neighborhood blocky MDK got a buff in most cases, both pressure and defense wise. Exceptions being against roll spam and if you ran a block glyph.

But the talons thing is true. I run a higher damage heavy build, with sustain via desert rose and constitution only, using talons 10x in 10s (why?) left me on 25% mag from 38>9.5. Talons is super situational too since using it for whips is out, its just dodge bait.
    Edited by ak_pvp on March 1, 2018 1:20PM
    Best houseknight EU.
  • Moglijuana
    Moglijuana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ak_pvp wrote: »

"DON'T NERF ME"

Assfaces.

5. L2P & enjoy your day.

Your average neighborhood blocky MDK got a buff in most cases, both pressure and defense wise. Exceptions being against roll spam and if you ran a block glyph.

But the talons thing is true. I run a higher damage heavy build, with sustain via desert rose and constitution only, using talons 10x in 10s (why?) left me on 25% mag from 38>9.5. Talons is super situational too since using it for whips is out, its just dodge bait.

Average potato mdk's sure. But with many of our abilities now being dodgeable and powerlash having a GCD the avg outgoing pressure has gone down for sure. As long as the enemy isn't a potato as well lol.

Regardless. Destro/Resto is too fun to put down atm and I don't even need to block to X currently lol. So this argument is falling on deaf ears tbh.
  • ak_pvp
    ak_pvp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

"DON'T NERF ME"

Assfaces.

5. L2P & enjoy your day.

Average potato mdk's sure. But with many of our abilities now being dodgeable and powerlash having a GCD the avg outgoing pressure has gone down for sure. As long as the enemy isn't a potato as well lol.

Regardless. Destro/Resto is too fun to put down atm and I don't even need to block to X currently lol. So this argument is falling on deaf ears tbh.

Exploiters high uptime, and whip every 3s is better for pressure, before it was every 5s, with occasional niches like an interrupt or a lightning build. Also there is a very limited possibility of 2 whips per foss. But the window is tiny. So if you are in the middle of another skill its wasted.

It was a big change, to the playstyle, talons losing effectiveness, some builds being hurt, dodge/finishing off harder, but all in all I wouldn't say it was a nerf because against tanks or mag builds its better.
    Edited by ak_pvp on March 1, 2018 1:53PM
    Best houseknight EU.
  • Moglijuana
    Moglijuana
    ✭✭✭✭✭

"DON'T NERF ME"

Assfaces.

5. L2P & enjoy your day.

Exploiters high uptime, and whip every 3s is better for pressure, before it was every 5s, with occasional niches like an interrupt or a lightning build. Also there is a very limited possibility of 2 whips per foss. But the window is tiny. So if you are in the middle of another skill its wasted.

It was a big change, to the playstyle, talons losing effectiveness, some builds being hurt, dodge/finishing off harder, but all in all I wouldn't say it was a nerf because against tanks or mag builds its better.

Yea, but now there is more counterplay to MDK than ever before. Main heals now being dodgeable does affect its performance. Even with the higher uptime of off balance, getting in 2 powerlashes in Open World is kind of impossible lol. The total skill cap has gone up for sure. Which is good. The better MDK's will see more combat improvements than the ones who simply hold L2.

I guess in ZOS terms "this is a nerf if you're bad, but a buff if you know what you're doing" is what I'm trying to get at lol.
  • Ocelot9x
    Ocelot9x
    ✭✭✭✭
    What really grind my gear is that blocking is the most unskilled way of mitigating yet one of the best.
  • ak_pvp
    ak_pvp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Ocelot9x wrote: »
    What really grind my gear is that blocking is the most unskilled way of mitigating yet one of the best.

Effectiveness scaling = how well it goes against more pressure, i.e. more targets. Size scaling = sacrifice/strength to build for it.

Eh, depends. Cloak is probably the best due to its lack of arbitrary limits like only a single type of damage and no "cap." so it effectiveness scales highly against many and with skill if you can get around its counters. Also crit heals and allows offensive pressure.

Shielding has limited counters, but a harsher limit in how it effective it can be, since 10k damage is like two hard attacks without resistances, but it can be spammed. Probably the "easiest" for low bar PvP or duels, since its size scales of main stat, and not much, only oblivion will go around it.

Stacking resists has too much of a loss for how effective it can be.

Stacking % reductions is effective, but comes with a loss. Blobs templar build, and those reactive tanks are an example.

Block is middle of the road in effectiveness scaling, having very high mitigation off the bat, and being good in a 1v1, but quite expensive at higher targets, ticking every 0.25s. It does have counters in GB abilities, some AoEs and dots, but not as damaging if broken like cloak. It has quite a sacrifice to use though, scaling of stam, stopping it, snares requiring s/b in general, and if mag, no main stat return and weaker weaves.

Wings/purge omitted since they are used in addition with other methods. Due to heavy situationality.
    Edited by ak_pvp on March 1, 2018 2:43PM
    Best houseknight EU.
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Perma-blocking is the act of damaging someone while you're blocking and can also be when you're healing. The issue mainly if not always occurs with the Magicka class since they rely on Magicka to deal damage/heal rather than stamina.
    Summary: Add some real counters to Perma-blocking for example halving the damage/healing done while blocking (not affecting healing received from other players and healing given to other players.) and adding soft cc immunity after 2 have been placed on you.

What you are talking about here is blockcasting, not permablocking. Permablocking is using various setups and skills to enable blocking for looooong periods of time (see: magDK using helping hands, battle roar, and sword and board ult to consistently maintain block for effectively endless fights).

With the recent block cost calculation change, I haven't seen nearly full-permablock builds, though it's probably still possible.

Blockcasting is a bit silly, but is more or less necessary at this point. This the sheer amount of CC thrown around in this game, disabling blockcasting would make outnumbered play even rougher.
    Thrice Empress, Forever Scrub
  • Ragnarock41
    Ragnarock41
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    permablocking isn't a thing outside of magDks.

And magDKs only do that because zos decided flat stamina return on DK passives were totally a balanced idea.
    Edited by Ragnarock41 on March 1, 2018 3:06PM