The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Explain this mount gank argument to me

• SugaComa
    SugaComa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To the op ... First thing you're assuming is everyone has your reaction time, or same set up Or a number of several other variables that allow you to survive and them not to ...

For example when I get ganked 9 time out of ten if they've a good rotation I'm dead when on my glass canon setup , I can hear it in coming but hitting a certain skill will not save me ... But a change of gear and when I'm ganked I could survive from that same skill trigger

• VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SugaComa wrote: »
    To the op ... First thing you're assuming is everyone has your reaction time, or same set up Or a number of several other variables that allow you to survive and them not to ...

For example when I get ganked 9 time out of ten if they've a good rotation I'm dead when on my glass canon setup , I can hear it in coming but hitting a certain skill will not save me ... But a change of gear and when I'm ganked I could survive from that same skill trigger

If I'm on my glass cannon of a stam warden, I try really hard not to complain when someone breaks the glass of my glass cannon. I mean, I built my stam warden to be a glass cannon and, like you said, I can always change up the build if I want less glass.
  • unknowngamer
    unknowngamer
    ✭✭

geonsocal wrote: »
    Stinkyremy wrote: »
    Correct me if I am wrong, but gankning is the concept of a group of players, (who are normally very low skilled players, so they group up) ganging up on lowly unsuspecting victims. Like 20 vs 2. While I can understand having a "gank build" by slotting fast sneaky skills, like that nightblade thing invisible strike (idk what it is called never played nb) but 1 person cant exactly be a ganker, with a gank build, because gankning is about being in a group. Not a zerg size group.

I just looked it up (urban dictionary) and you are correct...what we describe as zerging is defined there as ganking...

although, here on the forums - attacking from stealth is largely considered ganking...

It's the old school meaning of the term before it became what it is today. It originated from old school street slang as a portmanteau of 'grab' and 'yank', used either in the context of theft or beating the crap out of some dude swiftly.

In older mmos, such as UO, there was no stealth or stealth openers. Well there was stealth in UO but it was hardly ever used offensively as it was more a tool for thieves. So ganking people was as Stinkyremy said - a group of guys beating down an unsuspecting individual swiftly, because that is what it took to quickly kill a guy before they could act. Even if they could, they would have no hope of surviving.

Then DAoC came around with it's assassin (and archers before casters got their own bubble) classes. if you were a cloth/leather class and happened to be jumped with a Perforate Artery and Creeping death out of stealth you were pretty much ***; thus, the word gank came to mean moreso 'jumped from stealth' opposed to 'ganged up upon'. Hell early on you could open on a sitting cloth wearer, open on him with a PA and even remain in stealth after you killed him - ahhh, the good old days :)

Well, that's my history with the word gank anyhow ;)
  • Lylith
    Lylith
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lysette wrote: »
    Feanor wrote: »
    Horse ganking is the lowest form one can fall down too. Bonus points if you do it on a lvl 22 with no stamina leveled on the horse yet. There are many people who want to fight only when they know they will win. Explains the love for the Nightblade class too (and the class being very strong outside ganking too off).

That is actually according to Sun Tzu the art of war - do not start a fight if you haven't won it already.

**** sun tzu.

he never played eso. :)

Edited by Lylith on February 27, 2018 3:06AM
  • FloppyTouch
    FloppyTouch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Heavy armor 30k health laugh at the nb ganker bc he picked the wrong target. Then said nb ganker comes to forums and cries about heavy armor and it should be nerf. Said nb ganker kills someone gets angry pm tells person they should L2P.

• ofSunhold
    ofSunhold
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am also a Mageblade so I can go immediately in stealth and use inner light to pull the ganker out. Now, because I said this in area chat, immediately 3+ people were being sarcastic with me, saying "Oh I am sorry that I am not unkillable like you" and even saying some really offhand remarks that were really rude when I simply stated you can counter gankers, you just need to pay attention and learn.

That last sentence. There are quite a lot of people who have an objection to that concept. (And not just with gankers or with nightblades.) They wanted to have a nice group complain session and you messed it all up by suggesting they weren't actually helpless victims unless they decided to be.
    Classes that don't need any class ability nerfs: Nightblades, Dragonknights, Sorcs, Templars, Wardens.
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gankers usually wait by the destination of where they think people are traveling to by mount. Cause by then they'd have spent all their Mount's stamina by undoubtedly sprinting the whole way so when they're attacked they're immediately thrown off and stunned.

Other times they target players who are just sitting there right outside the front gate of a keep on their mount, probably glazing over their map or away from the game entirely cause they think the area is safe.

As long as Nightblades exist. Nowhere is safe.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • Mayrael
    Mayrael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My thoughts from one of recent discussions, I'll past it because im to lazy:
    "Ganking in general is ok, I was even in some point of the game sort of "ganker hunter", I was runing on heavy magplar in setup to survive and eventualy kill solo ganker but most of all - to bite and reveal them (as they often come in groups).
    In general ganking is ok but there are some exceptions.
    1. Stalking PvErs. If you kill someone who is doing some quests because he stomped on you, thats ok, he had a bad luck! But following them or hiding at entrance to dung is lame.
    2. Ganking in groups solo players. Waiting with your 3 budies for solo player is also lame. Its awesome to jump on double sized group and wipe them, this requiers lot of skills and good team play, it needs to be respected. But jumping from stealth with your budies to kill 1 or 2 players is pretty lame.
    3. Picking afk targets. Now don't get me wrong. I don't mind killing afkers, its PvP zone, you better hide well when afk. I do mind though jumping on target that looks like afk, but when he fights back ganker runs away. Thats just lame af. Be a man, at least try to fight your target for a while, maybe you will be able to kill him anyway, if not flee, but at least try it!
    4. Rage whisps. It concerns not only gankers. Never rage whisp, this shows only weak character. When someone rage whisps you, wish him a nice day and ignore him. Be smarter"

You can't expect everyone will be able to survive good gank burst, but ganking is one of the parts of Cyrodiil and whoever refuses to adapt to it, deserves to die. You can not build your toons for Cyrodiil like you would do for duels or BG's and expect you will do fine. Cyrodiil is more about being cunning, anticipate enemy moves and have a lot of knowledge not only about fighting but also about tactics. After years spent there you automatically see places ideal for traps and ganking, you see what is a bite and when and where you should be cautious, you can call it Cyrodiil Sense and you can't learn it just from reading, you need to spend there hundrets of hours to react almost without thinking.
    Say no to Toxic Casuals!
    I am doing my best, but I am not a native speaker, sorry.

"Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game." - @AlexanderDeLarge
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ArchMikem wrote: »
    Gankers usually wait by the destination of where they think people are traveling to by mount. Cause by then they'd have spent all their Mount's stamina by undoubtedly sprinting the whole way so when they're attacked they're immediately thrown off and stunned.

Other times they target players who are just sitting there right outside the front gate of a keep on their mount, probably glazing over their map or away from the game entirely cause they think the area is safe.

As long as Nightblades exist. Nowhere is safe.

Slight correction. As long as you are in Cyrodiil, nowhere is safe. Its Player vs Player out there.
    (Well, except for the gate spawn points, but you know what I mean.)
  • Knootewoot
    Knootewoot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I have been ganked so many times when on my horse. And i really understand why people do it. Not only because of the (mostly) easy kill. But it looks so darn hilarious when someone drops of his horse and lies death with the horse between his legs,

Solution: use radiant mage light, have more then 22k health and pray to the nines
    ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
    "I am a nightblade. Blending the disciplines of the stealthy agent and subtle wizard, I move unseen and undetected, foil locks and traps, and teleport to safety when threatened, or strike like a viper from ambush. The College of Illusion hides me and fuddles or pacifies my opponents. The College of Mysticism detects my object, reflects and dispels enemy spells, and makes good my escape. The key to a nightblade's success is avoidance, by spell or by stealth; with these skills, all things are possible."
  • Biro123
    Biro123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I used to love baiting gankers pre-miat when there were loads of em..

I may respec back to defensive rune and do it again. Usually surprised them more than the gank surprised me, turning the tables VERY quickly. (imho, this is why most nerf-sorc threads come from NB's - once the rune has messed up his burst, and you're shields are up, it becomes a standup fight rather than a gank - and that's where the ganker has the disadvantage. They blame the shields - but really its the rune that gave time to shield in the first place.)

Minalan owes me a beer.

PC EU Megaserver
    Minie Mo - Stam/Magblade - DC
    Woody Ron - Stamplar - DC
    Aidee - Magsorc - DC
    Notadorf - Stamsorc - DC
    Khattman Doo - Stamblade - Relegated to Crafter, cos AD.
  • OneKhajiitCrimeWave
    OneKhajiitCrimeWave
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had someone attempt to gank me off my mount this weekend, while i was running my warden tank to get Warhorn. I considered it very poor judgement seeing as my level 36 tank had 55k health and around 2000 crit resist (not going unprepared to Cyrodiil. believe that)

I think after their 5th or 6th rotation of skill spamming they severely regretted their life choice as i still had full health and then a zerg rolled through and stomped them flat... i may have immobilized them just a little.
    Dark Flare is the Beginning, Radiant is the End. Hail the Light Bringers!
  • vinnyml
    vinnyml
    ✭✭✭
    Wouldn't it be painfully lame if someone didn't know what gank meant? I mean, did they just start playing yesterday? Ha! It's hard for me to imagine, since I totally know what it means and I'm not writing this hoping that someone replies to this comment with a succinct and accurate definition of the word.
  • Kuramas9tails
    Kuramas9tails
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SugaComa wrote: »

@SugaComa While I will agree to some extent that yes, it is reaction time and yes, I learned it, but that doesn't mean others can not (unless they have slow response time due to something out of their control than that's understandable.) A change in gear is a quick fix but to me, I still run around 5 light/1 Med/1 Heavy all impen and still do decent damage, great regen and good survivability. But again, I am a mageblade so I can quickly go in stealth in times of troubles. Other classes can not. There is only one person who can animation cancel like a champ and kill me without giving me time to react so far. He deserves to kill me with that animation canceling skill.
    Mayrael wrote: »
    3. Picking afk targets. Now don't get me wrong. I don't mind killing afkers, its PvP zone, you better hide well when afk. I do mind though jumping on target that looks like afk, but when he fights back ganker runs away. Thats just lame af. Be a man, at least try to fight your target for a while, maybe you will be able to kill him anyway, if not flee, but at least try it!
    @Mayrael Depends. If you are an arrogant PVPer who acts like the best and you end up AFK in the open, I will kill you and V-bag you. I did that once to someone and they went straight to saying "Aren't you ugly in real life?". :D Very charming young man I tell you. But in general, I don't kill AKF players. My boyfriend will even go up and bash them to get a reaction and wait.
    Stinkyremy wrote: »
    Correct me if I am wrong, but gankning is the concept of a group of players, (who are normally very low skilled players, so they group up) ganging up on lowly unsuspecting victims. Like 20 vs 2. While I can understand having a "gank build" by slotting fast sneaky skills, like that nightblade thing invisible strike (idk what it is called never played nb) but 1 person cant exactly be a ganker, with a gank build, because gankning is about being in a group. Not a zerg size group.
    @Stinkyremy In the world of ESO, Ganking is a term for burst damage builds that give next to no reaction time for the target. It is, in general, a solo life but sometimes a small group. They will be the ones in stealth at a keep running around, looking for solo or duo players to kill. They rarely attack a zerg unless there are players in the back of the zerg to pick off. But these players rely heavily on themselves and not a group or support player. Sometimes the more people in a group, the worse it is because another player in the group could give the gankers position away and will get them killed. I can say this as a fact, I have gotten my boyfriend killed from my stupid moves as he tried to gank. :D Sometimes it works with me being bait and me dying is worth him killing 3 or more players and then resing me in front of all of them. It is a true art form that I can not master.
    ofSunhold wrote: »
    That last sentence. There are quite a lot of people who have an objection to that concept. (And not just with gankers or with nightblades.) They wanted to have a nice group complain session and you messed it all up by suggesting they weren't actually helpless victims unless they decided to be.
    @ofSunhold I just find the ones complaining about some things don't actually know what they are complaining about and I am afraid that too many of these kinds of players try to run ZOS into changes that are completely stupid. Then when someone argues their point, they go straight to name calling.
    Edited by Kuramas9tails on February 27, 2018 4:01PM
      Your friendly neighborhood crazy cat lady of ESO
      New PSN name: SundariTheLast. Proud seller in RedEye Empire, PURPLE GANG and Backalley Trading.
      AD High Elf Mageblade DPS (General)(Former Empress) -- Stormproof/VMOL, VHOF, VDSA completion
      AD Khajiit Mageblade DPS -- Flawless Conquerer
      FOR THE QUEEN!
      PS4/NA
    • Joy_Division
      Joy_Division
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      josiahva wrote: »
      Its the horse-fall stun that is the worst part of horse-ganking, its ridiculous because you are dead by the time you get up...gankers are scum to begin with, but horse-gankers are the most cowardly of a cowardly lot. This is really only a problem if your horse training isnt complete, so new toons essentially. I have had the music off on this game for YEARS and have never "heard" a ganker use a distance closing ability. I do see them fairly often and just use an ability to dismount, or I just ignore them and keep riding, depending on whether I am actually going somewhere or not.

I don't see gankers as scum. They are an assassin class. It creates a unique form of fighting that keeps both parties on their feet. I have tried ganking myself but I am not good at it so I gave up but when I successfully get away from a gank, I feel a sense of accomplishment, knowing I outwitted an assassin with a bounty on my head. heh. I'd rather come face to face (or rather face to shadow) with a gankblade over a mag DK any day. That flame damage and DOT eats my shield. Not to mention gankers are a good way to get people to pair up and watch each other while bombers encourage zerg spacing. It's a war out there. No one is safe.

The ones that pick a level 39 recruit to insta-kill when there are plenty of lieutenants and colonels they can target and actually test their skills are scum and it happens all the time -all the time - even by high-ranking "Assassins" who are a joke and given all Nightblades a bad name. And they wonder why they get mercilessly chased down.

• Kuramas9tails
      Kuramas9tails
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      The ones that pick a level 39 recruit to insta-kill when there are plenty of lieutenants and colonels they can target and actually test their skills are scum and it happens all the time -all the time - even by high-ranking "Assassins" who are a joke and given all Nightblades a bad name. And they wonder why they get mercilessly chased down.
      I have yet to come across a ganker who specifically targets low levels. All the gankers I know don't discriminate levels but rather looks at health bars or don't target low levels. Not to say they don't exist, I just haven't found one of these cowards myself.
        New PSN name: SundariTheLast. Proud seller in RedEye Empire, PURPLE GANG and Backalley Trading.
        AD High Elf Mageblade DPS (General)(Former Empress) -- Stormproof/VMOL, VHOF, VDSA completion
        FOR THE QUEEN!
        PS4/NA
      • Tan9oSuccka
        Tan9oSuccka
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        ✭✭✭
        On my nightblade, I always gank people on horses. Good players dismount immediately after hearing the combat queue music/snipe whistle.

So many blues and yellows dead...staring at their horses rear.

So sad. :(
        Of course I like steak. I'm a Nord, aren't I?
        -Berj Stoneheart
      • Tan9oSuccka
        Tan9oSuccka
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        ✭✭✭
        josiahva wrote: »
        Its the horse-fall stun that is the worst part of horse-ganking, its ridiculous because you are dead by the time you get up...gankers are scum to begin with, but horse-gankers are the most cowardly of a cowardly lot. This is really only a problem if your horse training isnt complete, so new toons essentially. I have had the music off on this game for YEARS and have never "heard" a ganker use a distance closing ability. I do see them fairly often and just use an ability to dismount, or I just ignore them and keep riding, depending on whether I am actually going somewhere or not.

I don't see gankers as scum. They are an assassin class. It creates a unique form of fighting that keeps both parties on their feet. I have tried ganking myself but I am not good at it so I gave up but when I successfully get away from a gank, I feel a sense of accomplishment, knowing I outwitted an assassin with a bounty on my head. heh. I'd rather come face to face (or rather face to shadow) with a gankblade over a mag DK any day. That flame damage and DOT eats my shield. Not to mention gankers are a good way to get people to pair up and watch each other while bombers encourage zerg spacing. It's a war out there. No one is safe.

I don’t understand the outrage on this. Pick out a zergling straggler and kill them quickly.

Most gankblades are not built to go toe to toe with a zerg or even a small group.

Odds are a Colonel has a few friends and they’re close by.

Pick and choose your targets carefully.
        -Berj Stoneheart
      • Feanor
        Feanor
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        ✭✭✭✭✭

Or odds are that the Colonel has a bit more experience than a Volunteer and therefore the fight won’t be as easy. Pick your targets - easy ones preferably.
        Main characters: Feanor the Believer - AD Altmer mSorc - AR 46 - Flawless Conqueror (PC EU)Idril Arnanor - AD Altmer mSorc - CP 217 - Stormproof (PC NA)Other characters:
        Necrophilius Killgood - DC Imperial NecromancerFearscales - AD Argonian Templar - Stormproof (healer)Draco Imperialis - AD Imperial DK (tank)Cabed Naearamarth - AD Dunmer mDKValirion Willowthorne - AD Bosmer stamBladeTuruna - AD Altmer magBladeKheled Zaram - AD Redguard stamDKKibil Nala - AD Redguard stamSorc - StormproofYavanna Kémentárí - AD Breton magWardenAzog gro-Ghâsh - EP Orc stamWardenVidar Drakenblød - DC Nord mDKMarquis de Peyrac - DC Breton mSorc - StormproofRawlith Khaj'ra - AD Khajiit stamWardenTu'waccah - AD Redguard Stamplar
        All chars 50 @ CP 1700+. Playing and enjoying PvP with RdK mostly on PC EU.
      • CatchMeTrolling
        CatchMeTrolling
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        The thing about ganking someone off a mount is the fact you can actually double cc them locking their character from doing anything.
      • Tan9oSuccka
        Tan9oSuccka
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        ✭✭✭

Or odds are that the Colonel has a bit more experience than a Volunteer and therefore the fight won’t be as easy. Pick your targets - easy ones preferably.

Sure, he probably does.

It’s a relatively small community. If I see Prefect X. I’m sure his healer and crew is not far behind.

So, your saying dive into battle regardless of probability and odds?
        -Berj Stoneheart
      • CatchMeTrolling
        CatchMeTrolling
        ✭✭✭✭✭

I have volunteer for all my characters and been playing for years. At this point people should ignore titles and symbols.

• Kuramas9tails
        Kuramas9tails
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        The thing about ganking someone off a mount is the fact you can actually double cc them locking their character from doing anything.

I personally don't see an issue with this. Maybe someone else does but to me, a mount animation should take it's full course when falling off of it and no immunity while on it. So every and all damage counts while on, falling or off the mount.
          FOR THE QUEEN!
          PS4/NA
        • Feanor
          Feanor
          ✭✭✭✭✭
          ✭✭✭✭✭

I personally don't see an issue with this. Maybe someone else does but to me, a mount animation should take it's full course when falling off of it and no immunity while on it. So every and all damage counts while on, falling or off the mount.

The artificial 2 second CC is just stupid though.
          Main characters: Feanor the Believer - AD Altmer mSorc - AR 46 - Flawless Conqueror (PC EU)Idril Arnanor - AD Altmer mSorc - CP 217 - Stormproof (PC NA)Other characters:
          Necrophilius Killgood - DC Imperial NecromancerFearscales - AD Argonian Templar - Stormproof (healer)Draco Imperialis - AD Imperial DK (tank)Cabed Naearamarth - AD Dunmer mDKValirion Willowthorne - AD Bosmer stamBladeTuruna - AD Altmer magBladeKheled Zaram - AD Redguard stamDKKibil Nala - AD Redguard stamSorc - StormproofYavanna Kémentárí - AD Breton magWardenAzog gro-Ghâsh - EP Orc stamWardenVidar Drakenblød - DC Nord mDKMarquis de Peyrac - DC Breton mSorc - StormproofRawlith Khaj'ra - AD Khajiit stamWardenTu'waccah - AD Redguard Stamplar
        • Kuramas9tails
          Kuramas9tails
          ✭✭✭✭✭

The artificial 2 second CC is just stupid though.
          We can agree to disagree. There's an option to get off the mount without the 2 second animation. When the hp on the mount has expired, it has an animation. It gives a purpose to upgrading the mount. But, it is a pain to do this on every single character and a pain in the arse when PVPing on a new character just to get Warhorn or so. But it's an animation that has gotten me killed that I don't mind. To me, it comes with the package of a mount.
            FOR THE QUEEN!
            PS4/NA
          • Joy_Division
            Joy_Division
            ✭✭✭✭✭
            ✭✭✭✭✭
            I have yet to come across a ganker who specifically targets low levels. All the gankers I know don't discriminate levels but rather looks at health bars or don't target low levels. Not to say they don't exist, I just haven't found one of these cowards myself.

I can assure you all the salty, selfish, unsporting, jerks who play this game did not just happen to avoid the Nightblade class and avoid the "ganking" playstyle. Just go the the field between Sej and Blue Road Keep or by the Nickel gate and you will see these "assassins" wait for full CP players with higher ranks to go by and insta-kill low CP recruits. Naturally not all of them are like this, but let's not for a moment pretend they don't exist and don't give the class a bad rap.
            Edited by Joy_Division on February 27, 2018 6:01PM
          • Kuramas9tails
            Kuramas9tails
            ✭✭✭✭✭
            I can assure you all the salty, selfish, unsporting, jerks who play this game did not just happen to avoid the Nightblade class and avoid the "ganking" playstyle. Just go the the field between Sej and Blue Road Keep or by the Nickel gate and you will see these "assassins" wait for full CP players with higher ranks to go by and insta-kill low CP recruits. Naturally not all of them are like this, but let's not for a moment pretend they don't exist and don't give the class a bad rap.

Usually the ones hiding around there are the small groups who all simultaneously use Snipe on one person. And I am max level. Or a small group of DKs and Templars who pull zergs in and run around the rocks. Or DC players who want in on the bridge fights.

PS4/NA/Vivec
              FOR THE QUEEN!
              PS4/NA
            • Feanor
              Feanor
              ✭✭✭✭✭
              ✭✭✭✭✭

Best part is if they teabag after their heroic Xv1.
            • Kuramas9tails
              Kuramas9tails
              ✭✭✭✭✭

I get more angry at the person for letting their mount die beside them. The mount doesn't deserve that kind of treatment.
                FOR THE QUEEN!
                PS4/NA
              • Tan9oSuccka
                Tan9oSuccka
                ✭✭✭✭✭
                ✭✭✭

I generally do not like X v 1 teabag.

I don’t mind if the 1 is a known punk with some kind of broken cheese build/probable cheater.
                -Berj Stoneheart