The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Saptanking in PvP - Build inspiration thread!

• Adenoma
    Adenoma
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's definitely one build option I know of for saptanks, but it's less reliant on sap (and obviously the cool siphoning attack synergy has been killed) and more reliant on incoming healing.

Inhale tank is 100% better for the same/similar role. Just rock some malubeth/desert rose/varen's legacy and go to town while you permablock. Use draw essence for a tidbit better sustain.
    Adenoma-Badenoma-Sadenoma
  • Jeezye
    Jeezye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Permablocking with siphoning attacks was the most important thing on sap tanks. The siphoning attacks nerf killed any chance of making a half decent sap tank imo.

If you want to make a sap tank, do it on a DK with inhale... basically you need to make an 'inhale tank' now instead lol.

Yeah I quickly realized that and indeed respeccted my dk to exactly do that - much more effectively and efficiently sadly.. However this was a thread to see if theres still possibilities for saptanks (and tanky high healing magblade with some sort of damage). Don't think there is but I'll just leave the thread open for suggestions...
  • ChefZero
    ChefZero
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm thinking about a heavy 5/1/1 Skoria, Torugs, infused Inferno staff (in my case as Dunmer, as Altmer I would try frost) and restro off-bar setup. Have no idea about the 2nd set with jewelry atm, maybe someone of you have some suggestions.

The idea is to get cheap damage from weapon and set procs, being beefy with HA, two health set-bonuses and self-heal.
    PC EU - DC only
  • Adenoma
    Adenoma
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That ain't no sap tank, @ChefZero .
  • ChefZero
    ChefZero
    ✭✭✭✭
    Adenoma wrote: »
    That ain't no sap tank, @ChefZero .

If is Sap Tank only Sap Essence and S&B for you than no. Question of perspective maybe.
    PC EU - DC only
  • Adenoma
    Adenoma
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sap tank has never been about sap essence. Sap tanks are only called that because that's the ability they could see easiest even if they didn't understand the siphoning attacks synergies.

A torug's enchant proc magNB that happens to be in heavy armor doesn't make a sap tank. The playstyle isn't remotely close. You're just a sort of tanky magNB that has compromised on damage and sustain.
  • ChefZero
    ChefZero
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sap tank has never been about sap essence. Sap tanks are only called that because that's the ability they could see easiest even if they didn't understand the siphoning attacks synergies.

A torug's enchant proc magNB that happens to be in heavy armor doesn't make a sap tank. The playstyle isn't remotely close. You're just a sort of tanky magNB that has compromised on damage and sustain.

OP is looking for a well-rounded saptank build and don't want to be a support so I offered him a method to get some damage.
    IMO using a destro staff with an enchanting doesn't define a playstyle.
    PC EU - DC only
  • ChefZero
    ChefZero
    ✭✭✭✭

OP is looking for a well-rounded saptank build and don't want to be a support so I offered him a method to get some damage.
    PC EU - DC only
  • Jeezye
    Jeezye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ChefZero wrote: »

I Wouldn't neglect any sort of playstyle, and indeed running frost destro might be a good option. @Adenoma is kind of right though that your setup doesn't fit into this theme since you don't get any tankability by speccing into damage procs. They neither increase your direct defenses nor increase your healing output, making them less effective in outnumbered encouters. The build will work, but won't come close to the playstyle of a saptank, thats what Adenoma meant I think.
  • StayAlfresco
    StayAlfresco
    ✭✭
    I do believe this playstyle can work, it's just going to be different to how a sap tank has traditionally worked. Sustain obviously being the big difference with the changes over time to Syphoning. Sets like Bloodthorn really appeal to me for a source of resource management, and also mechanics similar to what Kena brought to life. I think Harness could play a big role but that obviously forces you into a LA playstyle.
  • Jeezye
    Jeezye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is there still people theorecarfting for this playstyle?? Have been playing around a lot with new Dark Cloak and found that its heals become expremly potent once you reach 30k+ hp and high critratings.

I think a max health playstyle could suit very well, in combination with reapers mark for resets. Any thoughts?
  • ChefZero
    ChefZero
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jeezye wrote: »
    Is there still people theorecarfting for this playstyle?? Have been playing around a lot with new Dark Cloak and found that its heals become expremly potent once you reach 30k+ hp and high critratings.

I think a max health playstyle could suit very well, in combination with reapers mark for resets. Any thoughts?

I use Dark Clock since preSS and it's great. Only 23k HP in BG but it still works. But I don't run a tanky setup atm cause I still farming for Engine Guardian :|
    PC EU - DC only
  • rimmidimdim
    rimmidimdim
    ✭✭✭
    Jeezye wrote: »

With the new Dark Cloak you can get pretty tanky. Now I'm stamina, so I can't call it a sap tank, but I have a torugs/akaviri dragonguard/troll king set up. Using the soul siphon alt, dark cloak, slot swallow soul, vigor, keep mirage up. Very tanky class, and can still get kills. I don't see why this set up can't work for magblades too.

And for group play, if your team understanding of the soul siphon synergy is up often, it really helps. Cheers
    Edited by rimmidimdim on July 18, 2018 3:30PM
  • Jeezye
    Jeezye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For me, I think running light armor for critical dark cloak heals does the trick. On my heavy stamblade, I didn’t really like darkcloak because of the low magicka crit chance. Also I think stamblades have an easier time surviving because of dodgerolls and vigor/ momentum and don’t have to rely on cloak heals
  • kaithuzar
    kaithuzar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Remove torugs.

Use either clever alchemist, seducer, alteration mastery, amber plasm, or shackle breaker

Combo it with pariah, wizards riposte, or impreg, s&b, & glyph appropriately.

Stand in refreshing path, put 50+ points into blessed.

Good luck.
    Member of:
    Fantasia - osh kosh b-josh
    Just Chill - Crown's house
    GoldCloaks - Durruthy test server penga
    Small Meme Guild - Mano's house

Former member of:
    Legend - Siffer fan boy club
    TKO (tamriel knight's order) - free bks
    Deviance - Leonard's senche tiger
    Purple - hamNchz is my hero
    Eight Divines - myrlifax stop playing final fantasy
    WKB (we kill bosses) - turd where you go?
    Arcance Council - Klytz Kommander
    World Boss - Mike & Chewy gone EP
    M12 (majestic twelve) - cult of the loli zerg
  • imredneckson
    imredneckson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    unknown.png

Use to love playing a sap tank back in the day but left it for a Templar healer later on. Still love trying to think of builds to make Sap Tanks work again. :)

Here's the link to the build - http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildData?id=75184

I left off the Major Intellect buff because I had the intention of running speed immovable pots and since it's an Argonian I get a decent amount of Magicka back from the pot regardless. Also with Black Rose and Bloodthorn I get about 766 extra regen added onto my Stam and Magicka which is good for me if I'm going to keep block up for a while. Hope my math is right and if it is I maybe able to switch out a few jewelry glyphs to increase my spell damage. :smile:
    Edited by imredneckson on July 20, 2018 6:23AM
    Legions of Mordor Guild Officer
    Member of the GvG Community

Dunmer NB - Merser Frey (DC)
    Dunmer DK - Akaviri Battlereeve (DC)- http://orig05.deviantart.net/7ecd/f/2016/013/b/f/you_***_kill_by_eso_picture-d9nrz0q.png
    Imperial Templar - Knight of the Blood Oath (DC)-
    http://orig00.deviantart.net/5ba3/f/2016/115/a/0/jesus_beam_ftw____by_eso_picture-da09ecj.png
    High Elf Templar - Aurí-El (AD)
    High Elf Templar - Teutonic Honor Guard (EP)
  • kaithuzar
    kaithuzar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    unknown.png

Use to love playing a sap tank back in the day but left it for a Templar healer later on. Still love trying to think of builds to make Sap Tanks work again. :)

Here's the link to the build - http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildData?id=75184

I left off the Major Intellect buff because I had the intention of running speed immovable pots and since it's an Argonian I get a decent amount of Magicka back from the pot regardless. Also with Black Rose and Bloodthorn I get about 766 extra regen added onto my Stam and Magicka which is good for me if I'm going to keep block up for a while. Hope my math is right and if it is I maybe able to switch out a few jewelry glyphs to increase my spell damage. :smile:

You need to increase your spell penetration, you can play with less than 40k max mag.

Add stamina siphoning attacks & think of using reverb bash to debuff & get kills while sapping.

Would remove cripple unless running skoria.
    Have you tried troll king?

Soul tether is pretty weak dmg wise, better to run new psijic ult for 8% dmg mitigation, unless cloak gives that, they keep changing it so idk anymore.

Idk man, I’m just not sure if you need single target abilities if you’re going for an aoe style build.
    But typically single target is how you kill people so idk...
    Member of:
    Fantasia - osh kosh b-josh
    Just Chill - Crown's house
    GoldCloaks - Durruthy test server penga
    Small Meme Guild - Mano's house

Former member of:
    Legend - Siffer fan boy club
    TKO (tamriel knight's order) - free bks
    Deviance - Leonard's senche tiger
    Purple - hamNchz is my hero
    Eight Divines - myrlifax stop playing final fantasy
    WKB (we kill bosses) - turd where you go?
    Arcance Council - Klytz Kommander
    World Boss - Mike & Chewy gone EP
    M12 (majestic twelve) - cult of the loli zerg
  • imredneckson
    imredneckson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kaithuzar wrote: »
    unknown.png

You need to increase your spell penetration, you can play with less than 40k max mag.

Add stamina siphoning attacks & think of using reverb bash to debuff & get kills while sapping.

Would remove cripple unless running skoria.
    Have you tried troll king?

Soul tether is pretty weak dmg wise, better to run new psijic ult for 8% dmg mitigation, unless cloak gives that, they keep changing it so idk anymore.

Idk man, I’m just not sure if you need single target abilities if you’re going for an aoe style build.
    But typically single target is how you kill people so idk...

unknown.png

Added a few of the changes ya mentioned. I put Crippling on my bar so that after my speed immovable pot ran out I could hit that and still have Major Expedition. Cloak Now heals for 32% of your max health and also grants Minor Protection for a short time.
    Legions of Mordor Guild Officer
    Member of the GvG Community

Dunmer NB - Merser Frey (DC)
    Dunmer DK - Akaviri Battlereeve (DC)- http://orig05.deviantart.net/7ecd/f/2016/013/b/f/you_***_kill_by_eso_picture-d9nrz0q.png
    Imperial Templar - Knight of the Blood Oath (DC)-
    http://orig00.deviantart.net/5ba3/f/2016/115/a/0/jesus_beam_ftw____by_eso_picture-da09ecj.png
    High Elf Templar - Aurí-El (AD)
    High Elf Templar - Teutonic Honor Guard (EP)
  • Koensol
    Koensol
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I was looking for a similar build for no CP and started testing multiple sets. Ended up with a destro/resto setup in 5h1m1l with 5 pariah, 5 shackle and 2 skoria. It is a very tanky build with high health, surviving by having insane resistance, dark cloak and stacking hots. Argonian works best by far imo. You are killing opponents through dot pressure and combo's. I run infused berserker enchant resto backbar and nirnhoned infernostaff with double dot poison/drain health poison front bar. Apprentice mundus.

When going over the sets with a guildmate, he pointed me to a youtube video from a guy who made a build that was very similar, only difference is he plays in CP campaign and uses overwhelming surge in stead of shackle. I'd love to run it, but sadly, running overwhelming surge in no CP makes either magicka sustain or stamina pool too low. Video below including gameplay footage:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=udYjxz76YXc
    Edited by Koensol on July 21, 2018 11:02AM