The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Which PvE role is the hardest?

Jura23
Jura23
✭✭✭✭✭
Edited by Jura23 on February 25, 2018 3:03PM
Georgion - Bosmer/Templar - PC/EU

Which PvE role is the hardest? 174 votes

Heal
21%
M14ariaBlackSparrowHrogunIruil_ESOFlynchidkleandro.800ub17_ESOmertustaSilverWFTerraDewBerryCustos91dtsharplesVDoom1LumsdenmlApheriusFlyLionelgriffkhalifaLadyNalcaryaTheDominionZodiac_ 38 votes
DPS
47%
DaveMoeDeePyatrajrhiattjrb14_ESOSvenjaNjarlprofundidob16_ESOdanielclarkb16_ESOAstridSeptimus_MagnaGladiumWycksanitajoneb17_ESOkkravaritieb17_ESONicko_Lpsnickreb17_ESOShareeJoker99FauxHunterTommy83Kanar 83 votes
Tank
30%
kyler9987b16_ESOLauranaeDiatonicstojekarcub18_ESOExeter411hondelinkDorohedoGuppetLeyRobvenomSruCyantific87KnowledgemalcolmhaggerPC0523bri5Amp151CompletelyToastParrot1986swirve 53 votes
  • Jura23
    Jura23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DPS
    IMO it's DPS. I played all 3 roles in ESO and other games too and I think DPS is the most tied by certain rotations and numbers while tanking and healing is more about reacting to what is happening during the fights, which is more natural to me.
  • Mureel
    Mureel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Jura23 wrote: »
    IMO it's DPS. I played all 3 roles in ESO and other games too and I think DPS is the most tied by certain rotations and numbers while tanking and healing is more about reacting to what is happening during the fights, which is more natural to me.

If you're only reacting as healer or tank then you're doing it wrong.

I honestly believe that the different roles are easier or harder for different types of people.

I have more to add, but I need to consider how to write it so that it doesn't appear as though I'm putting down any role/type of person/play- but yeah.
  • Drdeath20
    Drdeath20
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heal

Every role has its challenges. the better players constantly push themselves and take on more and more in whatever role they are doing.

Being good DPS is the hardest role bcz either you can burn through content at above 40k dps or you cant and more often than not most cant

when you join a random PUG i would say healer has the hardest role. Only because you are really at the mercy of your group. Get bad dps/tank and you struggle keeping everyone alive for hours playing strictly a healbot.
    Edited by Drdeath20 on February 25, 2018 3:52PM
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think all roles have their challenges; DDs have to keep up with their rotation, while trusting their tanks/healers to take mobs away from them/heal and buff them, but performing a tight rotation while going through mechanics is not easy feat. Healers don't necessarily have to keep up with a strict roration, but they have to think ahead, knowing when to throw in big heals when there will be a lot of damage, and they also have to react fast to emergenecy moments. Tanks have to position and debuff boss, keep an eye for mobs that spawn so they can aggro them, while taking a great amount of damage, and managing their own resources. Therefore, while I think DPS'ing is hard from an individual skill and aptitude standpoint, I personally find tanking and healing more stressful and demanding.
  • DoctorESO
    DoctorESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    DPS
    Good DPS, that is. A lack of it is why so many trial and dungeon groups fail, and why people can't solo content or complete vMA before becoming overwhelmed with adds and other mechanics.
  • Jura23
    Jura23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DPS
    DoctorESO wrote: »
    Good DPS, that is. A lack of it is why so many trial and dungeon groups fail, and why people can't solo content or complete vMA before becoming overwhelmed with adds and other mechanics.

a pair of good DPS can do huge difference in a dungeon, while great tank or healer can help, but only to a degree from my experience.

To summarize it, I'd rather be in a group of 2 good DPS and average tank and healer than vice versa.
  • DoctorESO
    DoctorESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    DPS
    You can't heal or tank your way to content completion, but you sure can DPS your way.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In a group with high DPS and experienced, well equipped players, the DPS players have the hardest job because they have to make the run a success.

In a group with low DPS, inexperienced players, or poorly equipped players, the healer and the tank have the hardest jobs because they have to keep the run from being a complete failure.

• DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Solely based on the fact that tanks wear dps gear to aid the dps, I'm going to give it to them.

Dps wears dps gear.

Healers wear healing gear.

Tanks wear a medium armor set that contributes almost *nothing* to their function to buff the dps.
  • Mureel
    Mureel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    DocFrost72 wrote: »
    Solely based on the fact that tanks wear dps gear to aid the dps, I'm going to give it to them.

Dps wears dps gear.

Tanks wear a medium armor set that contributes almost *nothing* to their function to buff the dps.

Lol because spc doesn't buff dps. Nor does combat prayer, nor ele drain, nor does worm make magicka skills for up to 12 cheaper, nor does mender debuff adds.

Most healers wear buff sets not healing sets. Read them. You'll see.

Even master resto which is BIS resto, what does it do?

Yep.
  • DoctorESO
    DoctorESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    DPS
    Mureel wrote: »
    spc doesn't buff dps. Nor does combat prayer, nor ele drain, nor does worm make magicka skills for up to 12 cheaper, nor does mender debuff adds.

Actually, they do. That's why the meta is for healers to wear these "support" sets.
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Dps wears dps gear.

Lol because spc doesn't buff dps. Nor does combat prayer, nor ele drain, nor does worm make magicka skills for up to 12 cheaper, nor does mender debuff adds.

Yep.
    spc doesn't buff dps. Nor does combat prayer, nor ele drain, nor does worm make magicka skills for up to 12 cheaper, nor does mender debuff adds.

Actually, they do. That's why the meta is for healers to wear these "support" sets.

I missed the part where light armor wasn't bis for healers, where spc didn't give mag or regen.

When a heavy armor set that requires you to use a synergy becomes the "meta" for healers, or for that matter dps, we'll have a discussion.

• DoctorESO
    DoctorESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    DPS

Dps wears dps gear.

Yep.

I missed the part where light armor wasn't bis for healers, where spc didn't give mag or regen.

When a heavy armor set that requires you to use a synergy becomes the "meta" for healers, or for that matter dps, we'll have a discussion.

Not sure what you're trying to say.
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Dps wears dps gear.

Yep.

That comparing a set like alkosh which comes in an armor type that gives little to benefit a tank's main role and whose 2-4 pieces are essentially dump stats for tanks to sets like spc or mending that do give stats that are beneficial to healing while offering group support is simply not based in objectivity.

Roar of alkosh, the "meta" tanking set offers weapon crit, minor slayer (lol), and weapon damage in medium armor. The five pieces buffs dps for your group and does damage.

Mending offers magicka recovery, max magicka, healing done, and when using an aoe heal (most heals), you reduce enemy damage output- which by the way, helps you and your team, and comes in light armor.

Do you see my frustration at being told healers do the same thing with their gear as tanks?

Edit: reread your initial post, apologies for the confusion, though I would still propose the same argument to the original quoted party.
    Edited by DocFrost72 on February 25, 2018 11:56PM
  • DoctorESO
    DoctorESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    DPS

Dps wears dps gear.

Yep.

That comparing a set like alkosh which comes in an armor type that gives little to benefit a tank's main role and whose 2-4 pieces are essentially dump stats for tanks to sets like spc or mending that do give stats that are beneficial to healing while offering group support is simply not based in objectivity.

Roar of alkosh, the "meta" tanking set offers weapon crit, minor slayer (lol), and weapon damage in medium armor. The five pieces buffs dps for your group and does damage.

Mending offers magicka recovery, max magicka, healing done, and when using an aoe heal (most heals), you reduce enemy damage output- which by the way, helps you and your team, and comes in light armor.

Do you see my frustration at being told healers do the same thing with their gear as tanks?

Edit: reread your initial post, apologies for the confusion, though I would still propose the same argument to the original quoted party.

Yeah, healers do more than their namesake suggest. They are expected to support the group with buffs and NPC debuffs that have nothing to do with healing. I get what you are saying.
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Depends on the content.
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    DPS
    Melee DD, since you have to put up with a lot of incoming damage from the mechanics and still maintain rotation without dying, and without using a shield. Deadly Cloak is good, but won't save you from direct hits. Tank is a close second. Healer and ranged DD are much easier.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • Qbiken
    Qbiken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tank
    I`ll always appreciate a good tank, especially since they´re getting more rare these days.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heal
    Form content that is actually challenging, get trials:

Heals because they have the most to deal with. Buffs/debuffs, resources, AoE damage, boss, everyone’s health and placement and then they get to heal.

Damage dealers have it the easiest. Essentially do damage, avoid taking damage and watch the boss.
  • Kanar
    Kanar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DPS
    idk wrote: »
    Form content that is actually challenging, get trials:

Heals because they have the most to deal with. Buffs/debuffs, resources, AoE damage, boss, everyone’s health and placement and then they get to heal.

Damage dealers have it the easiest. Essentially do damage, avoid taking damage and watch the boss.

Right you make a good point: it depends on the content. I agree in trials tanks and healers have it tougher just because there's only 1 or 2 of them and therefore their performance is much more important to the success of the group.

In HM dungeons DD is toughest, hands down.
  • Cage_Lizardman
    Cage_Lizardman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DPS
    Bad dd's are so much more common than bad tanks/healers, for your average dungeon.

For vet trials though, I'd say healer. Having to keep track of 10 people and at least pretend that you're trying to keep them all alive, in those fights where you can't just stack...
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jura23 wrote: »

a pair of good DPS can do huge difference in a dungeon, while great tank or healer can help, but only to a degree from my experience.

To summarize it, I'd rather be in a group of 2 good DPS and average tank and healer than vice versa.

Rightly so. Healers and tanks each have a split in their roles between:
    • Their actual core role, which is usually just a part-time job.
    • Generally helping the group.

The second part is nice to have, but it usually doesn't contribute as much as the difference between an OK DPS and a great one does.

To be clear, I'm saying this about dungeons, where it's traditional for 1/4 of the group to be in the healing role and another 1/4 tanking. I haven't done trials yet, but it seems those ratios are generally more like 1/6, and the core roles may not be part-time at all.
    Edited by FrancisCrawford on February 27, 2018 6:13AM
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DPS
    DPS. No doubt in my mind. It takes an enormous amount of effort to pull high DPS and maintain it in fights despite mechanics/lag.
  • dave011
    dave011
    ✭✭✭
    Tank
    Hardest role by far is Tank!

DPS: all you have to do is bring boss down and stay alive!

Heals: try and keep everyone alive while taking down boss. if heals is down dps can revive.

Tank: if they go down well *** your screwed heals takes agro, dps trys to revive tank then dps is not getting heals because heals is trying to keep themselves alive and the rest of this fight is going to go? I don't need to say.

PC/NA
  • raj72616a
    raj72616a
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DPS
    hardest role? PUG leader for HoF maybe?
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    DPS
    raj72616a wrote: »
    hardest role? PUG leader for HoF maybe?

Some PuGs can't even beat the normal. I've seen people wipe the group repeatedly at the last boss because they continue attacking it when it goes to middle. I mean not once but 3-4 times in a row until they get themselves kicked. Their cognitive abilities are probably limited and/or are simply a-holes because literally everyone is telling them not to attack :)
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • Namarkas
    Namarkas
    ✭✭✭
    DPS
    DPS, due to the fact that it has no "limit" as tanking and healing has.
    I have tried all three roles in decently serious content. If you play tank, and you survive, you probably did at least an ok job. If you play heal, and your group survives, the same applies. Sure you can view uptimes of certain buffs/debuffs and improve there, but in the end it does not matter that much if your minor beserk uptime was 50% or 100% if your group made it. Improving your HPS by x% does not mean you did a better job.
    DPS can always try to improve their damage. Every mistake means damage lost, while missing a heal/dodge/etc here and there does not necessarily mean your grp lost anything (or they are all dead lol)
  • Mureel
    Mureel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Shoot a lot of healers are wearing IA and using the light set that adds spell dam

SARCASM lol look it up ;-) (mains a Templar healer, wearing spc and at the moment testing out Jorvuld set with it and master resto - but thanks!)
  • Mureel
    Mureel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Dps wears dps gear.

Yep.

Lol I was being snarkastic. *eyeroll*
    Edited by Mureel on February 27, 2018 11:02AM
  • Mureel
    Mureel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Dps wears dps gear.

Yep.

The point being the sets' main benefits are group buffs- not just healing. Any healer only healing is already failing.

The only role that should do only one thing is DPS - tanks and heals need to be doing more then just taunting/healing