The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Old player looking to return just got some questions?

Quayley
Quayley
Soul Shriven
Hey guys so a bit of background, been playing since PC launch even played a couple betas stopped playing on PC once ESO dropped on console and stopped playing console just before Orsinium. I was in a very tight knit PvP guild like to think we were top tier even doing Emperorship group runs in the 30 day campaign successfully we took PvP very seriously and for me PvP is without a doubt the funnest aspect of the game, I was a Magicka Nightblade and it was at the point I could practically one bang people in a matter of seconds. But eventually the game just got stale for me and I decided to take a break.

However there's something about ESO I can't let go, I've tried to get back into in a few times with thieves guild and then when I saw them add battlegrounds in Morrowind I once again tried to get back into it but I just can't seem to stick around, all my guild mates have since left the game, I feel my builds are no longer up to par and overall the Champion point system is just overwhelming, I wanted to PvP again but no serious guilds would take me until I was max CP so I decided to try grind and was usually getting about 10 points a day, I believe I currently have around 450 CP (This is on console), it was getting to the point where in my head all I was focusing on was trying to grind it out to play with the big boys once again where it became a chore and I just wasn't enjoying the game and because of this every time I've tried to return I end up just putting the game back down a week later.

So my questions are:
1. Do I need to be max CP to be relevant in Cyrodil? if not around what number is relevant?
2. If I'm looking to find a serious group of PvPers to roll with what would be the best way to find people?
3. My main is Console but I find PC performs better (obviously) is it worth me making my PC account my main before I continue the grind to max level on console? (I have many level 50's on console plus gold, crowns, mounts and achievements ect and nothing on PC)
4. If I'm currently at 450CP if I was to use XP potions and scrolls how long would you estimate it would take to hit CP cap of 720 if I was grinding around 5-8 hours a day?

If anyone has the time to help me out with advice I would really appreciate it otherwise I've decided I'm probably just going to put the game down for good sadly.

Kind Regards
Quayley
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Need max CP? Not really. Players with more cp have an advantage, obviously, but some changes in the last year have made it so that the system is very frontloaded. In other words, as a player with 450 CPs you can pull about 90% as much power out of the trees as a max CP player.

For example, if we consider the magic recovery passive in the green tree (arcansit), you can spend up to 100 points in this passive and increase magic recovery by up to 15%. However, spending 75 points gets you +14% magic recovery. So a lot of the higher levels of CPs are giving those players very little compared to the first CPs owned.

2. The game is aging out a bit, but on my server there are still healthy PvP guilds and regular groups. You could make a post asking about PvP guilds for your server/faction in that section of the forums. But online, text chat is really useful...watch for consistent posts from experienced players. It’s not hard to figure out who the “generals” are in a campaign...group up with them, or ask if they run a regular PvP guild group.

3. I’ll pass this to experts who have played both. What I can say is that grinding multiple toons to max just to get a bit better performance is daunting to me. I’m also not sure whether the PC or console populations are better...I kinda expect the game to thrive longer on consoles.

4. I generally advise against a crazy grind just to get your last CPs. If you just play regularly you’ll get there...it’ll take awhile, but you’ll get there.

But if you’re determined to grind, per the current formulas I calculate that you will need approximately 200 million xp. This will shift a bit with update 17...they always adjust the curve down a bit. So, to calculate time commitment wait until your CP has flipped then do a psijic run to see how my xp/hr you earn. (You flip the CP because then your sheet will tell you how much you need to earn for the next point, so you can play a half hour then compare and calculate how much you’re earning.)

If you want to grind, I recommend doing it in “bursts” during events. You can look them up online...the birthday event and jesters festival are coming up. The events always have free 100% xp boosts for the whole week, which stacks with Psijic and mythical ambrosia. So, just play and earn xp then when the event comes stack your xp buffs and run like crazy. Outside of events, the alikr dolmen Zerg is fun.
  • Marginis
    Marginis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quayley wrote: »
    So my questions are:
    1. Do I need to be max CP to be relevant in Cyrodil? if not around what number is relevant?
    2. If I'm looking to find a serious group of PvPers to roll with what would be the best way to find people?
    3. My main is Console but I find PC performs better (obviously) is it worth me making my PC account my main before I continue the grind to max level on console? (I have many level 50's on console plus gold, crowns, mounts and achievements ect and nothing on PC)
    4. If I'm currently at 450CP if I was to use XP potions and scrolls how long would you estimate it would take to hit CP cap of 720 if I was grinding around 5-8 hours a day?

If anyone has the time to help me out with advice I would really appreciate it otherwise I've decided I'm probably just going to put the game down for good sadly.

Kind Regards
    Quayley

1. You do not need max CP, especially if you are only planning on putting points into a few specific nodes. However, you can definitely tell the difference, especially if you don't stack all your CP into just a few nodes. The point to look at, like @davey1107 said, is that you get diminishing returns the more CP you put into a node. The first point might get you +2% magicka recovery for example (and these aren't exact numbers), while the 10th point might get you +1%, and the 20th might get you .5%. This does even it out a bit for non-max CP players up against max CP players because they can't just stack crit, or pen, but they have to diversify their stats a little bit. That said, CP does still make a real difference. (Also, if guilds aren't accepting you because you're not max CP, they need to grow up, and you should probably look for a more reasonable guild. I've seen plenty of non-max CP players beat the snot out of max-CPers.)

2. Guilds, or calling out lfg in Cyrodiil zone chat. You can find plenty of guilds on the forums here or post that you are looking for one (and one might respond). Play PVP enough on certain campaigns and you'll start to find out that all the big players know each other. Get to know them and you'll find a group to roll with soon enough.

3. As someone who has played on PC from beta to console launch, and on console since console launch, I can tell you the facts and my opinion. Personally, I like that I moved from PC to console, but given the chance I would not do it again - or, at least I would have done the transfer but I would have kept most of my playtime on PC. As it is right now I only go on PC ESO every now and then to check out the PTS. I miss add-ons and the community and mouse and keyboard and all the settings that my awesome PC can alter (I have an xbox one x, which while good, still isn't quite as awesome as my PC) and that PC people know how to use text chat. But at this point I've invested a lot more on console, and I only have what I had at the time of console launch on PC, so I don't think I could make the move back for everything I'd lose. And it does look close to as good as on PC on my xbox one x. More factually, you'd have to weigh how valuable everything on console that you'd lose is. Would you miss all the things you bought with your crowns or would you be able to get by without on PC, as some things aren't available in the crown store anymore? Do you have a powerful enough PC for the experience to compare to console, settings-wise? Would you be able to make up that grind from all the levels that you have on console? PC does definitely have strong benefits over console, but console has some strong benefits too, especially if you've already invested there (previous investment is a benefit), so it's really only a call you yourself can make.

4. I have no idea, but grinding 8 hours a day? Yeah, you'd get there pretty quick, especially if you invest smartly in experience boosts, play a TON during special events, have ESO plus, etc. etc. Dolmen grind is pretty easy to do, it's just a matter of grinding. It can still be pretty wearing on you grinding all the time in ESO, so to avoid getting burnt out remember to do some quests or something. If you haven't played since the launch of ESO Morrowind definitely check out those quests too. They're a tier above the normal ESO quests. :)
    @Marginis on PC, Senpai Fluffy on Xbox, Founder of Magicka. Also known as Kha'jiri, The Night Mother, Ma'iq, Jane Shepard, Damia, Kintyra, Zoor Do Kest, You, and a few others.