The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

New Content HM too hard?

• TheDarkShadow
    TheDarkShadow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.
    I like harder contents that made for solo or 4 man like MA or the DLC dungeons. Because my computer cannot handle trial those harder dungeons are my endgame. I expect lots of wipe, but sometime when you do get the right group, it feel good to beat it.
  • Saturn
    Saturn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.
    Well im always up for hard stuff so for me nothing feels too hard.

I've tried both Scalecaller Peak and Fang Lair hardmodes a couple of times, granted I did SCP before they fixed the HM there, which was pretty much impossible unless RNGesus blessed you sufficiently enough to avoid the mountain of bugs. Fang Lair's final phase of Thorvokun on HM is a bit ridiculous, but I've been really close to beating it, and it's really just a matter of practice and forming proper strategies to be honest.

So no, I don't think they need to be nerfed. They are sufficiently difficult, although it would be nice if they could deliver them bug-free next time...

In the past HMs have been so easy that while doing the challenger achievements it was easy enough to do speedruns and hm at the same time, which seems pretty stupid if you ask me. Now they have made sure that Speedrun can't be cheesed (need to kill everything to get it, that means all enemies in the entire dungeon), No Death is still challenging and requires good group synergy and strategies to pull off and Hardmode is actually hard. Each of them are challenges by themselves, which I can appreciate, as otherwise I would personally be done with the new dungeons week 2, which has been the case with past dungeon dlcs, and I think it's a waste of money.

I know some people don't like having to progress through difficult content, but please don't ruin it for the rest of us :D It's called "hard mode" for a reason...
    "Madness is a bitter mercy, perhaps, but a mercy nonetheless."

Fire and Ice
  • Saturn
    Saturn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.
    Corrinos wrote: »
    No. The carebearification of this game has seeped into too many areas already.

Yeah, and unfortunately ZOS listens more to the casual players that want to be able to beat everything first try, than they do to their endgame community :|
    "Madness is a bitter mercy, perhaps, but a mercy nonetheless."

Fire and Ice
  • Lynx7386
    Lynx7386
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes.
    I'm all for hard modes being hard but I wish they'd make the dlc vet dungeons less harsh. Even an experienced player can struggle with vet cradle of shadows or imperial city prison or mazzatun and definitely with the new dungeons in dragon bones.

The problem with so many of these being over the top difficult is that monster helms are locked behind them, and often those monster sets are the key to making your character actually capable of doing the content.
    PS4 / NA
    M'asad - Khajiit Nightblade - Healer
    Pakhet - Khajiit Dragonknight - Tank
    Raksha - Khajiit Sorcerer - Stamina DPS
    Bastet - Khajiit Templar - Healer
    Leonin - Khajiit Warden - Tank
  • LioraValkyrie
    LioraValkyrie
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm just another snowflake.
    This is coming from someone who has cleared vSPhm and soloed all bosses in vFH except Domihaus, who I got to 9%...

These new HMs are just insane. I have run in a group that did a no death / speedrun on the first attempt, then failed to take hm to below 70% after 2 hours. It is literally easier to solo Domihaus to execute IN hm than to complete Scalecaller Peak hm, which has no execute, with a group of 4 highly skilled, top 0.1% players.

ZoS also seems to equate difficulty with increasing amounts of RNG and one-shot mechanics. Stuff like the stone orb spawning under your feet, the Zaan beam grabbing someone right between the Ice CC and the boss, and the synergies overlapping so they are literally invisible just shouldn't happen. On the other hand, I think bosses 2 and 4 of Scalecaller are extremely well-designed and are what good fights in ESO should be like. Pressure the group with strong DoTs that encourage co-ordinated movement instead of these damn insta-kills all the time, which have the side-effect of encouraging 3 DD runs to nuke past the undesirable mechanic.

I'm not saying these hms should be nerfed, but the fact that the last two patches have locked their titles and skins behind supremely hard content which caters for the super-elite makes me fear for the future of this game. What new player is going to buy this DLC when they hear that groups of people who have all completed vMoL cannot even come close to completing this?

Keep vet trials the hardest content in ESO, and let people compete by trying to get world record speeds and climbing the leaderboards. Hardly anybody says 'I'm not going to do vDSA, it's too easy', but instead they try to complete it faster and more smoothly. People who complain about PvE being too easy are, in my opinion, just trying to massage their own egos. Nobody needs to be put into Dragon Bones dungeons by the group finder, so they can spend the next four hours wiping to the first boss.

I also disagree with the idea that each instalment of new dungeons should be harder than the next. Make more puggable dungeons! The VAST MAJORITY of players are random pugs with random builds and are just about skilled enough to complete things like CoAII, DCII, CoHII and the like. After 2 years of playing ESO, I still enjoy doing these dungeons. For every guild that has been grinding the heck out of SP and FL over the last week, there are two more where literally nobody in those guilds has even stepped foot in these dungeons because they don't want to spend their entire afternoon wiping and walking away empty handed.

Just one snowflake's opinion.
    Mistress of Apocrypha - Master PetSorc

Founder of The Lollygaggers
    Creator of the 1-bar vMA build
    World first solo vFH
    Unchained Altmer Sorc Tank

Visit me on YouTube! Mistress of Apocrypha ESO
  • lostcloud
    lostcloud
    ✭✭✭
    The one shot mechanics in some of the encounters become that much harder when you run on 350+ms, but there is no fix when your on the other side of the world. Just saying.
    Nocturnal (AD AvA Oceanic guild, still kicking after 5 years) Formed in 1999 DAoC Beta now in our 21st year.
  • LadyNalcarya
    LadyNalcarya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.
    Neither of them is "too hard". Actually, non-hm vet versions were easier than I expected.
    I liked Fang Lair hardmode (is that the one with the dragon?). Even though it wasnt easy, it seemed "difficult, but fair".
    I'm not a fan of SP. I cant put my finger on it, but the mechanics feel a bit wonky. Havent tried it after the patch, though.
    Dro-m'Athra Destroyer | Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor | Voice of Reason

PC/EU
  • profundidob16_ESO
    profundidob16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neither of them is "too hard". Actually, non-hm vet versions were easier than I expected.
    I liked Fang Lair hardmode (is that the one with the dragon?). Even though it wasnt easy, it seemed "difficult, but fair".
    I'm not a fan of SP. I cant put my finger on it, but the mechanics feel a bit wonky. Havent tried it after the patch, though.

I think I can put my finger on it just fine:

vFL HM felt at first like an RNG mess that wipes you but as you practise more and more and get better with a fixed group of good players, the fight eventually becomes completely controllable, even though it stretches every member to become the best they can in their class. In the end, after you kill it, you are so used to avoiding ghosts and all other mechanics at the same time that you can easily repeat the process.

vSP HM stays an RNG mess no matter how much you practise, kill or not. If the huge overlapping laser circle actively blocks the road to your 1 and only safe spot....tough luck ! If rngesus smiled upon you however it's *** easy to do the mechanics. So it's all rng based.

but what really makes me angry is the insane long server delay that causes all effect to processed as too late. You succesfully block the red growing circle and still die because the server treats your block timing as too late...WTF ?? You run succesfully outside the cone and still die, lying 2 meters outside that red cone !! you succesfully go stand in the beam and block but the affected person still dies because server lag considers you to have entered the beam too late...seriously ?? Every single mechanic in this fight is subject to a very long delay and I guess the only way to solve that is if the devs increase the timers accordingly so compensate for their server lag so that when react to an animation, the server considers that timing correctly.
  • Morgha_Kul
    Morgha_Kul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NERF EVERYTHING!
    I'm afraid I don't do ANY of the special group content. I play more or less casually, so I don't have all the silly mega rare gear, and simply can't compete in any of them. I've seen so many wipes on what few attempts I've made that it's completely discouraged me from even bothering to TRY anything that's labeled as Group oriented.

It's unfortunate. There's much there that might be fun, but the punishing difficulty, coupled with the tendency of most groups to blitz through every dungeon so fast that they'll be at the end while I'm still reading the dialog from the first contact, means they're just not any fun, and to me that defeats the point of playing.

So, I voted Nerf Everything, with the caveat that I'd RATHER see a level of difficulty below what's now considered normal (so that those who DO like it as it is can still enjoy it).
    Exploring Tamriel since 1994.
  • Morgha_Kul
    Morgha_Kul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NERF EVERYTHING!
    I'm afraid I don't do ANY of the special group content. I play more or less casually, so I don't have all the silly mega rare gear, and simply can't compete in any of them. I've seen so many wipes on what few attempts I've made that it's completely discouraged me from even bothering to TRY anything that's labeled as Group oriented.

It's unfortunate. There's much there that might be fun, but the punishing difficulty, coupled with the tendency of most groups to blitz through every dungeon so fast that they'll be at the end while I'm still reading the dialog from the first contact, means they're just not any fun, and to me that defeats the point of playing.

So, I voted Nerf Everything, with the caveat that I'd RATHER see a level of difficulty below what's now considered normal (so that those who DO like it as it is can still enjoy it).
    Exploring Tamriel since 1994.
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.
    Something seems off though. There are times I see myself out something yet I am dead.