The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
In response to the ongoing issue, the North American PC/Mac megaserver is currently unavailable while we perform maintenance.
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8100050/#Comment_8100050

Tanking the last boss of Fang Lair

• Idontknow91
    Idontknow91
    ✭✭✭
    josiahva wrote: »
    clareno88 wrote: »
    If you take a light attack from the boss, and do not block it or mitigate it entirely ( Wings, Absorb magic) It puts the DoT on you, that's why it seems the boss does 0 damage, but your health is constantly ticked down even though its direct damage attacks aren't doing a ton. I tanked this in Torug's/Powerful Assault, and it's recommended to be permablocking, as i didn't use wings or Absorb Magicka, wings are a godsend; or so I've heard from another good tank on my server :smile:

Yes, I'd appreciate the insight as well! Also, was this on Veteran or Hard Mode?

There isnt much difference between the two fights as far as tanking specific mechanics go...except HM has 2 scarabs...one of which often be out of range of talons(I am hoping to substitute the new Psijic skill time-stop for talons as I feel it will do a better job on HM, but I haven't done any testing on the PTS to verify this). I am also looking forward to trying out the regenerating psijic order shield....which wont work for perma-blockers, but I rarely perma-block aside from the half dozen fights in the game I am forced to do so. I really wish there were a potion option for a purge effect, since as a tank I just dont have the magicka to be purging all the time...good regen, but small pool.

I'm liking the sound of your ideas, very out of the box! You've got to keep us informed on how those Psijic skills play out in that fight! I'm having a similar struggle with those scarabs, I'll root one with Frost Clench, but the second one is just melded with Thurvokun's hitbox which makes it difficult to root along with the first. I'm thinking i might just try snaring them vs stopping them entirely, put down a frost blockade and maybe with good RNG it will immobilize them on top of the snare. I want something more consistent though, something I don't just cross my fingers on, lol.

I'm working on an idea, it's entirely backwards of how we're all being taught to do this, I'll let you guys know if it turns out as any good at all.
  • thegenuinebuzz
    Apache_Kid wrote: »
    If you take a light attack from the boss, and do not block it or mitigate it entirely ( Wings, Absorb magic) It puts the DoT on you, that's why it seems the boss does 0 damage, but your health is constantly ticked down even though its direct damage attacks aren't doing a ton. I tanked this in Torug's/Powerful Assault, and it's recommended to be permablocking, as i didn't use wings or Absorb Magicka, wings are a godsend; or so I've heard from another good tank on my server :smile:

What was your group comp like for hard mode? Ty for info on the cold dot.
    Apache_Kid wrote: »

What was your group comp like for hard mode? Ty for info on the cold dot.

Because of how confident our group was with ghosts we used 1 healer, 1 fragsorc, 1 Magblade and a DK tank, 3 DDs does reduce the amount of time spent in annoying exe though
    XB1 - EU
    Nātsuké - Imperial DragonKnight Tank - Voice of Reason(90K Score), Dro-M'athra Destroyer, Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor(190K Score)
    Aéria - Dark Elf Nightblade - Flawless Conqueror (586,000 score)
    Altió - Redguard Sorceror - Flawless Conqueror (585,000 score), Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor
  • Idontknow91
    Idontknow91
    ✭✭✭
    Ugh. Status Update on my progress with Hard Mode:

Ghost walls are the bane of mine and everyone I've attempted Hard Mode with's existence. I don't know if there's any advice to offer me there, it's most likely a "keep practicing" thing, yes? As far as how Thurvokun's ice light attacks are going, I no longer have need to spam absorb magicka to mitigate the damage, I swapped a few things around for this fight specifically. I set my tank up with a "selfish" gear setup vs the usual group support one. I doubt it's of much interest to anyone, but I've got 5 piece Plague Doctors, 5 piece Brands of Imperium, and 2 piece Malubeth; Infused on Large pieces, Reinforced on the small. And now his light attacks barely damage me, sorry I don't have any formal numbers to share.

We're consistently making it to 20% now. We've tried the 3 dps/1 tank method and the traditional 2 dps, 1 tank, 1 healer method. Talons from the adds are also a causation of group wipes, as they prevent everyone from dodging the next ghost wall. I'm considering slotting Rapid Maneuver for that second phase to remove the talons from everyone and to also grant them expedition to better evade the ghost walls, a cushion for increased reaction time of sorts. We're also considering having out healer wear Kagrenacs as it would make res's during Thurvokun's shout phase easily successful.

How's everyone else's progress with Hard Mode? You guys probably all have your completes already, huh. lol