The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Tanking the last boss of Fang Lair

josiahva
josiahva
✭✭✭✭✭
So last night I got my first vet Fang Lair clear(yay me).50k health and I always have a shield worth at least 20k up. This was about my 8th run of the dungeon as a pug tank. I wanted to discuss the boss though, the first few times I tried him I was always dying from an extremely powerful DOT called gripping cold(if I remember correctly) it would do some 70k damage over the course of a few seconds. So I tried absorb magicka in the hopes that this would absorb enough damage to stop it...no such luck, too many projectiles coming in, it made a difference, but not enough of one. So I slotted dragon-fire scale instead and just spammed it the entire fight...problem solved. Evidently the projectiles coming from the dragon(frozen bolt?) will eventually put the DOT on you(gripping cold?) if enough hit you. Am I interpreting that mechanic right? As soon as I spammed wings the entire fight, I was never hit with the DOT again and the fight became laughable from a tank perspective. If so...I am wondering how miserable this fight must be for non-DK, non-Warden tanks, since they would have to rely entirely upon absorb magicka, like I said, Absorb magicka made a noticeable difference, but I don't think tanks below 50k health would easily survive without a class reflect. Is there any other way to avoid the insanely powerful DOT here? Anyone know? I doubt this boss will ever be a problem for my DK tank again, but some day I may want to try it out with my sorc tank, and I can just imagine the misery that will be.

On another note: Now the non-HM vet is done, what differences in the fight for HM?
  • Mureel
    Mureel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The dot is from the dps killing the adds too slowly. We do it all the time with a tank at just under 40k and never ever uses wings. Dps need to get those adds down fast. Fast fast!
  • Mureel
    Mureel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Hard mode is there are 2 adds - a nereid and a frost atroc and also an orb. The orb cannot be killed.

There are also 3 adds instead of 2 in the adds phase.

Only one can go in the green shield after add phase so this is the healer, the dps need to be in the frost atro frozen stuff and the nereid geyser and the tank will get himself stoned by the orb (or some variation of this) to survive the area wide peryite spray.

So the killing of those 2 must be timed, and their abilities used to protect you.

The orb cannot be killed and one touch from the beam and you're stoned so need to take care. Tbh I never even looked how much more health she has but probably 1mil - but don't quote me on that.
  • josiahva
    josiahva
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mureel wrote: »
    Hard mode is there are 2 adds - a nereid and a frost atroc and also an orb. The orb cannot be killed.

Only one can go in the green shield after add phase so this is the healer, the dps need to be in the frost atro frozen stuff and the nereid geyser and the tank will get himself stoned by the orb (or some variation of this) to survive the area wide peryite spray.

So the killing of those 2 must be timed, and their abilities used to protect you.

The orb cannot be killed and one touch from the beam and you're stoned so need to take care. Tbh I never even looked how much more health she has but probably 1mil - but don't quote me on that.

I know I am busy tanking the dragon and all, but I have NEVER seen a nereid or a frost atro in this fight...I have seen a Bone Colussus spawn, and a few small ads, as well as the poison bug. Are you talking about Fang Lair here? I havent done Scalecaller yet, but it sounds like descriptions I have heard from there.
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

@Mureel that's Scalecaller Peak.

OP, the only cold damage I'm aware of is the conal with the spaces in between.

Step in the blank spots or block if can't.

I don't believe it's reflectable though. Not 100% certain on this, as I just step out of the way.

HM is more adds, more atro's, Necrotic Swarm from the other boss that must be interrupted, and ghost walls that come sooner and more often.

Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • Mureel
    Mureel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I don't believe it's reflectable though. Not 100% certain on this, as I just step out of the way.

HM is more adds, more atro's, Necrotic Swarm from the other boss that must be interrupted, and ghost walls that come sooner and more often.

lol I'm sorry! xD I always was bad with names and posting on my phone from work xD but + for awesome description of totally different place! Give hugs!
  • Mureel
    Mureel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    josiahva wrote: »

I know I am busy tanking the dragon and all, but I have NEVER seen a nereid or a frost atro in this fight...I have seen a Bone Colussus spawn, and a few small ads, as well as the poison bug. Are you talking about Fang Lair here? I havent done Scalecaller yet, but it sounds like descriptions I have heard from there.

Yes I am idiot! I was thinking Scalecaller *smh*

I can write out the actual one - but seems someone has! Sorry!
  • Mureel
    Mureel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Yeah you can interrupt - healer should crushing shock unless he ports to near tank or someone who can bash.

Yeah after he does the back to half health thing it is just dodge ghosts through the gap all the time.
  • josiahva
    josiahva
    ✭✭✭✭✭

For the tank at least there is massive amounts of cold damge...the ice bolts from the dragon sting a bit...but I think if you are hit by too many it throws that insane DOT on you as well, at least that's the only explanation I have for wings making such a huge difference in the fight. There are also other projectiles coming in from elsewhere though that could also cause the DOT I guess, didnt see where they were coming from.
  • Mureel
    Mureel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It's the Mage who ports around not being interrupted
  • Masel
    Masel
    Class Representative
    I've tanked both Hard modes successfully, so I can give you some tips on this one:

1. spam absorb magic + heavy attacks on the boss. His light attacks are icy projectiles that you can absorb or reflect.
    2. You'll see a growing AoE below you when the boss charges his poison bomb. You need to dodge roll or block+move when the AoE is full. The boss will spawn 2 shalks that follow you, snare you and reduce your armor rating to 0 when they reach you
    3. This is why you need to cc/immobilise the shalks immediately after they spawn so they cannot follow you and then kite around the boss until they disappear or get killed. The armor reduction is likely why you take that much damage.
    4. On hard mode, on the last phase with random ghosts, you need to stay in the middle, and have your camera on maximum range, and circle around with the camera so you see where the ghosts spawn and then adjust your movements accordingly. This is really insane, as you have at least three or four stacking mechanics(boss +shalks+colossus+ghosts+talons from adds) on top of each other that will most likely overwhelm you.
    PC EU

All Trial Trifecta Titles Done!

Youtube:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChVEG6ckuAgGs5OyA6VeisA
  • thekenmann
    Masel92 wrote: »
    I've tanked both Hard modes successfully, so I can give you some tips on this one:

1. spam absorb magic + heavy attacks on the boss. His light attacks are icy projectiles that you can absorb or reflect.
    2. You'll see a growing AoE below you when the boss charges his poison bomb. You need to dodge roll or block+move when the AoE is full. The boss will spawn 2 shalks that follow you, snare you and reduce your armor rating to 0 when they reach you
    3. This is why you need to cc/immobilise the shalks immediately after they spawn so they cannot follow you and then kite around the boss until they disappear or get killed. The armor reduction is likely why you take that much damage.
    4. On hard mode, on the last phase with random ghosts, you need to stay in the middle, and have your camera on maximum range, and circle around with the camera so you see where the ghosts spawn and then adjust your movements accordingly. This is really insane, as you have at least three or four stacking mechanics(boss +shalks+colossus+ghosts+talons from adds) on top of each other that will most likely overwhelm you.

I've tanked HM Fang Lair as well and what this guy said 100%. Tho i dont feel the need to spam absorb Magic all the time, the boss' light attacks will hit for like 3-4k and you kind of need the stamina in that fight. Another thing for the Bone Colossus that spawn from the crystals. I would advise you to dodge roll their heavy attacks (do a late dodge roll tho otherwise you still get hit and take the unblocked damage) because sometimes you will get hit by knockback and heavy attack simultaneously ending up in receiving an unblocked heavy attack. For the heavy Dmg OP talked about, its from the scarabs who spawn. If you see the growing red circle beneath you, do a late dodge roll shortly before they spawn on to the boss, use talons and move away a little. That way they die from the ground Aoe's that were on the boss. Even if you dont kill them fast enough, you made enough distance from them so you dont get hit by their steaming Debuff/Dot/Slow attack which starts ~2-3 seconds after they spawned. For the Crystals, he activates the Crystals every 10% of Boss' HP, starting from 85%, so at 55% its the last crystal being activated. From 45% on the Necromancer will port to a random side and spawn a line of ghosts there, take cover behind the NPC and that phase is rather a joke, even on HM. After merging with the Dragon at 0% on HM i advise you to stay on middle all the time, having 1 person call out where the random ghosts are (most likely you as Tank). Other than these ghosts there will be 3 Colossus spawning during that Execute phase besides the Boss fearing you, for that just let your DD's save Ultimate for them so they die quick enough. For the Fear and Boss jumping mechanic, its the same in normal mode just that you have to care about random ghosts after you took the protection and he jumped down again.
    Edited by thekenmann on February 26, 2018 11:29AM
    PC EU

Xorukk - Stamina Dragonknight - Tank
    Vilancia - Magicka Sorcerer - DD
    Yoonii - Magicka Templar - DD
  • profundidob16_ESO
    profundidob16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

+1 Exactly !

@OP as the large poison circle grows larger and larger, watch the second small circle spawn and the shalk appears right after. Talons to root it and sidestep. Repeat as needed and never let it touch you.

You are not supposed to take the dmge at all lol :)

for HM: best I've found so far is have dps ranged interrupt Orryn the black while the healer focus on burst healing through the first hits until he's been interrupt and thus teleports away. A really good healer can even burst heal through the entire dmge in case the dps was unable to interrupt in time. The healer can also bash him if need enough while burst casting. Healer switching to second bar to range interrupt is too risky and less preferred

ps: interesting to see you were creative and found a way to still take that dmge and survive but I guarantee you it won't work in the HM version ;)
  • thekenmann
    for HM: best I've found so far is have dps ranged interrupt Orryn the black while the healer focus on burst healing through the first hits until he's been interrupt and thus teleports away. A really good healer can even burst heal through the entire dmge in case the dps was unable to interrupt in time. The healer can also bash him if need enough while burst casting. Healer switching to second bar to range interrupt is too risky and less preferred

We only interrupted when he was nearby, otherwise we just stacked and let our healer heal through it, worked really good and much better than trying to run to him and interrupt. You also dont loose DPS on Boss and crystals by doing this as the DD's dont have to interrupt.

Edited by thekenmann on February 26, 2018 3:03PM
    PC EU

Xorukk - Stamina Dragonknight - Tank
    Vilancia - Magicka Sorcerer - DD
    Yoonii - Magicka Templar - DD
  • Idontknow91
    Idontknow91
    ✭✭✭

+1 Exactly !

@OP as the large poison circle grows larger and larger, watch the second small circle spawn and the shalk appears right after. Talons to root it and sidestep. Repeat as needed and never let it touch you.

ps: interesting to see you were creative and found a way to still take that dmge and survive but I guarantee you it won't work in the HM version ;)

Except, I believe the OP is speaking on a different mechanic entirely. As poison damage does not cause a "Chilled" status effect. Am I correct on this, OP?
  • MajesticHaruki
    MajesticHaruki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Use talons on the bugs, roll dodge the poison spit of the dragon, avoid the frost projectiles aoe.You only need to make a step. Besides the last aoe is random on a player so thurvokun will ignore your taunt and shoot towards the other group members.
    PC/EU @MajThorax Sorcerer and Housing Decorator prodigy
    In my spare time I collect materials and run away from mudcrabs
  • profundidob16_ESO
    profundidob16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    clareno88 wrote: »

+1 Exactly !

Except, I believe the OP is speaking on a different mechanic entirely. As poison damage does not cause a "Chilled" status effect. Am I correct on this, OP?

nono, he's speaking about this exact mechanic. Again, the first circle that grows into a big one = poison. The second small one spawns the 1-2 shalks and are cast upon you by the dragon as cold dmge. THAT is the one you need root and sidestep as soon as you see it drop.
  • Teuton67
    Teuton67
    ✭✭✭
    Rooting the shalks with talons as you dodge will help avoid their dot and snare. Then, drop Cinder Storm which will slow them down to the point they die before reaching you.
  • Idontknow91
    Idontknow91
    ✭✭✭

+1 Exactly !

nono, he's speaking about this exact mechanic. Again, the first circle that grows into a big one = poison. The second small one spawns the 1-2 shalks and are cast upon you by the dragon as cold dmge. THAT is the one you need root and sidestep as soon as you see it drop.

nonono, those giant Scarabs do NOT cause a Chilled status effect! You are mistaken. Thurvokun himself causes the chilled status effect with his Ice projectiles, aka his light attacks.
  • Idontknow91
    Idontknow91
    ✭✭✭
    How can anyone provide appropriate advice if hardly anyone so far even connects the dots that the frost damage OP is speaking of isnt from the giant Scarabs?
  • profundidob16_ESO
    profundidob16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

+1 Exactly !

nonono, those giant Scarabs do NOT cause a Chilled status effect! You are mistaken. Thurvokun himself causes the chilled status effect with his Ice projectiles, aka his light attacks.

seriously what part in English about "are cast upon you by the dragon as cold dmge" was not clear ?? Let me rephrase that just for you: DRAGON (source of damage) casts COLD damage on YOU (receiver of damage). Better now ?? Nothing you just claimed even connects to what I typed earlier. I'm done here
  • Idontknow91
    Idontknow91
    ✭✭✭

+1 Exactly !

seriously what part in English about "are cast upon you by the dragon as cold dmge" was not clear ?? Let me rephrase that just for you: DRAGON (source of damage) casts COLD damage on YOU (receiver of damage). Better now ?? Nothing you just claimed even connects to what I typed earlier. I'm done here

Actually is does connect as your comment is a tangent to what the OP is actually asking about. So all of this talk on the Scarabs is clutter to the actual subject at hand. Maybe go read the original post again before snapping at me.
  • Idontknow91
    Idontknow91
    ✭✭✭
    josiahva wrote: »
    So last night I got my first vet Fang Lair clear(yay me).50k health and I always have a shield worth at least 20k up. This was about my 8th run of the dungeon as a pug tank. I wanted to discuss the boss though, the first few times I tried him I was always dying from an extremely powerful DOT called gripping cold(if I remember correctly) it would do some 70k damage over the course of a few seconds. So I tried absorb magicka in the hopes that this would absorb enough damage to stop it...no such luck, too many projectiles coming in, it made a difference, but not enough of one. So I slotted dragon-fire scale instead and just spammed it the entire fight...problem solved. Evidently the projectiles coming from the dragon(frozen bolt?) will eventually put the DOT on you(gripping cold?) if enough hit you. Am I interpreting that mechanic right? As soon as I spammed wings the entire fight, I was never hit with the DOT again and the fight became laughable from a tank perspective. If so...I am wondering how miserable this fight must be for non-DK, non-Warden tanks, since they would have to rely entirely upon absorb magicka, like I said, Absorb magicka made a noticeable difference, but I don't think tanks below 50k health would easily survive without a class reflect. Is there any other way to avoid the insanely powerful DOT here? Anyone know? I doubt this boss will ever be a problem for my DK tank again, but some day I may want to try it out with my sorc tank, and I can just imagine the misery that will be.

On another note: Now the non-HM vet is done, what differences in the fight for HM?

I've bolded things for you, since you felt it was necessary to get all snappy with me. Sheesh.
    Edited by Idontknow91 on May 12, 2018 7:29PM
  • Idontknow91
    Idontknow91
    ✭✭✭
    And if that didn't clear things up, the giant scarabs, as I mentioned before, do not cause the chilled status effect and neither does the poison he spits the Scarabs out with. No aspect of that combo is ice, lol. And one can become effected by the "Gripping Cold" status effect without ever being debuffed by the giant Scarabs.
    Edited by Idontknow91 on May 12, 2018 7:50PM
  • Apache_Kid
    Apache_Kid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah the cold dot has been giving me issues as a tank on hardmode and its on me before scarabs even appear. Does anyone have any advice for this dot?
    Edited by Apache_Kid on May 13, 2018 5:15AM
  • Idontknow91
    Idontknow91
    ✭✭✭
    Like the OP had mentioned, I run absorb magicka to lessen the blow, but that itself isn't a cure-all solution. I am a Templar tank, and as such I toss Ritual down to cleanse myself routinely if there's DoTs of any sort around, I feel like it helps, but I'll have to get back to you on if it actually works because there's so much going on, I don't look very carefully. I also burst heal myself with Breath of Life.

My group had Thurvokun down to 200,000 health on Hard Mode, past 2nd phase where Orryn revives him to half health. But we still have yet to complete. I think I might head in there in a few minutes, hopefully I can come back with a clear answer on the cleansing afterwards. I'll report back! :3
  • Apache_Kid
    Apache_Kid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Like the OP had mentioned, I run absorb magicka to lessen the blow, but that itself isn't a cure-all solution. I am a Templar tank, and as such I toss Ritual down to cleanse myself routinely if there's DoTs of any sort around, I feel like it helps, but I'll have to get back to you on if it actually works because there's so much going on, I don't look very carefully. I also burst heal myself with Breath of Life.

My group had Thurvokun down to 200,000 health on Hard Mode, past 2nd phase where Orryn revives him to half health. But we still have yet to complete. I think I might head in there in a few minutes, hopefully I can come back with a clear answer on the cleansing afterwards. I'll report back! :3

That'd be awesome... i have no class clense or healer for our hard mode group so i think ill need to slot efficient purge for myself.

I keep reading that the cold dot is from the scarabs but that seems impossible because its on me before the boss even charges up his spit.
  • thegenuinebuzz
    If you take a light attack from the boss, and do not block it or mitigate it entirely ( Wings, Absorb magic) It puts the DoT on you, that's why it seems the boss does 0 damage, but your health is constantly ticked down even though its direct damage attacks aren't doing a ton. I tanked this in Torug's/Powerful Assault, and it's recommended to be permablocking, as i didn't use wings or Absorb Magicka, wings are a godsend; or so I've heard from another good tank on my server :smile:
    XB1 - EU
    Nātsuké - Imperial DragonKnight Tank - Voice of Reason(90K Score), Dro-M'athra Destroyer, Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor(190K Score)
    Aéria - Dark Elf Nightblade - Flawless Conqueror (586,000 score)
    Altió - Redguard Sorceror - Flawless Conqueror (585,000 score), Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor
  • Apache_Kid
    Apache_Kid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you take a light attack from the boss, and do not block it or mitigate it entirely ( Wings, Absorb magic) It puts the DoT on you, that's why it seems the boss does 0 damage, but your health is constantly ticked down even though its direct damage attacks aren't doing a ton. I tanked this in Torug's/Powerful Assault, and it's recommended to be permablocking, as i didn't use wings or Absorb Magicka, wings are a godsend; or so I've heard from another good tank on my server :smile:

What was your group comp like for hard mode? Ty for info on the cold dot.
    Edited by Apache_Kid on May 13, 2018 4:20PM
  • Idontknow91
    Idontknow91
    ✭✭✭

Yes, I'd appreciate the insight as well! Also, was this on Veteran or Hard Mode?
  • josiahva
    josiahva
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, I'd appreciate the insight as well! Also, was this on Veteran or Hard Mode?

There isnt much difference between the two fights as far as tanking specific mechanics go...except HM has 2 scarabs...one of which often be out of range of talons(I am hoping to substitute the new Psijic skill time-stop for talons as I feel it will do a better job on HM, but I haven't done any testing on the PTS to verify this). I am also looking forward to trying out the regenerating psijic order shield....which wont work for perma-blockers, but I rarely perma-block aside from the half dozen fights in the game I am forced to do so. I really wish there were a potion option for a purge effect, since as a tank I just dont have the magicka to be purging all the time...good regen, but small pool.