The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Zos....PLZZZZ bring back executions!

barbarian340
barbarian340
✭✭✭
i remember executions were one of my favorite things from skyrim...all the animations made it that much more engrossing...bringing back executions as a passive you can put points into if you want it would be amazing...and if there is a chance for immunity when you perform an execution so that you dont get killed in mobs, that would be perfect!
  • Nihility42
    Nihility42
    ✭✭✭✭
    Blade of Woe
  • PlagueSD
    PlagueSD
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As the poster above stated, Blade of Woe. Already in game:

Bb55Omr.gif
  • logarifmik
    logarifmik
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Isn't Blade of Woe passive is enough? I don't think that it's possible to implement such feature adequately, taking into account existing combat system. Besides, after some time it becomes boring anyway, so in my opinion it don't worth an effort.
    EU PC: @logarifmik | Languages: Русский, English
    Dimitri Frernis | Breton Sorcerer | Damage Dealer | Daggerfall Covenant
    Scales-of-Ice | Argonian Warden | Tank / Healer | Daggerfall Covenant
  • Anotherone773
    Anotherone773
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Lets expand on your idea. Lets make it a DLC with a whole new zone called the Gold Coast. A whole new story line for a new( to ESO) guild called the Dark Brotherhood. As a member of the Dark Brotherhood you take contracts to kill NPCs for the Night Mother.

It will come with a new skill line including a special skill called "Blade of Woe" which basically lets you assassinate an NPC from sneak. It will of course have various animations for this cold blooded killing. Stabbed in the spine, stabbed in the neck, throat slit, a reach around for a triple stab center mass and my favorite, yank their ankles and make them face plant before planting the blade in them.

Then instead of pick-pick-pick, we can pick-pick-stab NPCs so they respawn quickly with more loot. It would be so awesome. I would just go around assassinating any NPCs that might catch me stealing and taking their stuff too. It would be like a mini game of Assassins Creed in ESO.

/sarcasm
  • graybeardII
    graybeardII
    ✭✭✭
    Locked behind pay wall not saying thats bad just saying if your not a +er or have the dlc you wounded know it was there. Would be better in the assassin line imo but I'm looking forward to play that dlc
    Good day guys um every one
  • leothedino
    leothedino
    ✭✭✭✭
    Locked behind pay wall not saying thats bad just saying if your not a +er or have the dlc you wounded know it was there. Would be better in the assassin line imo but I'm looking forward to play that dlc
    Good day guys um every one

LOL... i'm sorry, what? Yes, like any other MMO and unlike a charity, if you want new things then you have to pay for it.
  • barbarian340
    barbarian340
    ✭✭✭
    i dont think u guys played skyrim if you are saying blade of woe is an acceptable replacement as an execution...skyrim had executions for every weapon, and they didnt rely on sneaking...nor joining a cult...in an intense dual wield battle with someone? when their life gets low, slice off their heads with both your swords....or how about those slow mo arrow kills from distance? blade of woe? lmao
  • LordSemaj
    LordSemaj
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why add something most players wouldn't use?

Raid: Johnny's executing again...
    Leader: Yep... DPS just dropped 50k.
    Johnny: BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!!
  • Koronach
    Koronach
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would be cool but it would only work if you were fighting one enemy. The kill cam kicks in so you can execute the enemy you're fighting, the other enemies will just keep beating on/blasting you.
  • Shezzarrine
    Shezzarrine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always have a hard time telling if these people are trolls or they just have not realized this isn't a single player game. Pretty sad when you think about it
  • Anotherone773
    Anotherone773
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    i dont think u guys played skyrim if you are saying blade of woe is an acceptable replacement as an execution...skyrim had executions for every weapon, and they didnt rely on sneaking...nor joining a cult...in an intense dual wield battle with someone? when their life gets low, slice off their heads with both your swords....or how about those slow mo arrow kills from distance? blade of woe? lmao

I own and beat Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim with ( mostly) a bow. The one shot kills from 30 meters are great in a single target game. They would be a nightmare in ESO. You could just snipe every mob from distance with a single arrow. Dont even need abilities or health or stamina. PVE easy mode. And PVP... i would just perch and snipe everyone as they ran by doing melee. No one would play anything but archers. It would become Longbowmen Online.

Many things from a SP game do not carry over well to an MMO setting especially one with pvp. Blade of Woe is the best your going to get for assassinations and it works and adds something to the game without altering balance.
  • Ender1310
    Ender1310
    ✭✭✭✭
    Great idea op. Stop flaming this guy. It's a cool idea. This game has a ton of data already implemented. Not sure they can do it. But would be fun and a little more engrossing. Didn't AOC have something like that way back when?
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lets expand on your idea. Lets make it a DLC with a whole new zone called the Gold Coast. A whole new story line for a new( to ESO) guild called the Dark Brotherhood. As a member of the Dark Brotherhood you take contracts to kill NPCs for the Night Mother.

It will come with a new skill line including a special skill called "Blade of Woe" which basically lets you assassinate an NPC from sneak. It will of course have various animations for this cold blooded killing. Stabbed in the spine, stabbed in the neck, throat slit, a reach around for a triple stab center mass and my favorite, yank their ankles and make them face plant before planting the blade in them.

Then instead of pick-pick-pick, we can pick-pick-stab NPCs so they respawn quickly with more loot. It would be so awesome. I would just go around assassinating any NPCs that might catch me stealing and taking their stuff too. It would be like a mini game of Assassins Creed in ESO.

/sarcasm

q5110CT.jpg
  • Vanthras79
    Vanthras79
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You want that Wood Elf in Reaper's March to be executed don't you?
    Norion Germain - Telvanni Wizard, Covenant Battle Mage, Mage's Guild Magister, Resident of Daggerfall Overlook, Lord of Tel Galen, Psijic Monk, Antiquarian, Breton Scholar, and Traveler.

• Katahdin
    Katahdin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vanthras79 wrote: »

No he wants to stand in Reapers March and one shot kill someone in Rivespire

All jokes aside, this wold be too OP in a mmo game unless it's in a completely instanced, solo area
    Edited by Katahdin on February 20, 2018 6:51PM
    Beta tester November 2013
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are a couple of problems with Skyrim-style kill cams.

1. We've all had that beautiful kill-cam in Skyrim, where the arrow flies straight and true...right past the target's head. With lag making it harder to figure out player vs enemy positioning, glitched kill cams would be a thing. I get them even with the Blade of Woe, and that's two relatively stationary targets.

2. They take you out of control of your character. That's not as much of a problem in Skyrim, where they only trigger on the last enemy in an area, but ESO has much higher mob density and no guarantee that some other player isn't going to drag a mob over to you. Kill cams might be cool, but not if I have to break free of them to react to an enemy. Even with the Blade of Woe, there are a few times when I have to react quickly to stay out of sight of a guard.

3. Your suggestion of immunity while doing an execute addresses #2, if such a thing is implemented, however, that really gets into issues when you consider combat rotations. In Skyrim, most damage is single target with a few exceptions (shouts, wall of fire, a few multi-target spells) and with the kill cam proccing on the last enemy death, there's no lingering damage to worry about. If you have kill cams procing in the middle of combat, most players will have Wall of Elements or Caltrops or Endless Hail running continuing to do damage on other enemies. For overland content, precision of combat rotations isn't a huge problem, but taking me out of control of my character to kill cam someone is going to be a DPS loss.

4. With the density of mobs in ESO being much greater than those in Skyrim, the amount of kill cams would be much higher even if it only procs on the last mob. Because of that (and other issues) there would have to be an option to opt out of the kill cams. I know I'd find it annoying to be getting kill cams for every group of wasps and welwas I kill farming Craglorn.

5. They'd obviously have to be disabled in PVP. I don't think I have to explain why.

So in short, if kill cams were implemented, I think they'd almost have to be Skyrim style and only proc when the last enemy is killed. That way, you get a cinematic at a time when (hopefully) you won't be interrupted and you don't lose control of your character and take a DPS loss in combat.
  • Feanor
    Feanor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The finisher moves in Witcher 3 were cool, but I wouldn’t want the same in ESO. It just doesn’t fit.
    Edited by Feanor on February 20, 2018 7:28PM
    Main characters: Feanor the Believer - AD Altmer mSorc - AR 46 - Flawless Conqueror (PC EU)Idril Arnanor - AD Altmer mSorc - CP 217 - Stormproof (PC NA)Other characters:
    Necrophilius Killgood - DC Imperial NecromancerFearscales - AD Argonian Templar - Stormproof (healer)Draco Imperialis - AD Imperial DK (tank)Cabed Naearamarth - AD Dunmer mDKValirion Willowthorne - AD Bosmer stamBladeTuruna - AD Altmer magBladeKheled Zaram - AD Redguard stamDKKibil Nala - AD Redguard stamSorc - StormproofYavanna Kémentárí - AD Breton magWardenAzog gro-Ghâsh - EP Orc stamWardenVidar Drakenblød - DC Nord mDKMarquis de Peyrac - DC Breton mSorc - StormproofRawlith Khaj'ra - AD Khajiit stamWardenTu'waccah - AD Redguard Stamplar
    All chars 50 @ CP 1700+. Playing and enjoying PvP with RdK mostly on PC EU.
  • barbarian340
    barbarian340
    ✭✭✭
    LordSemaj wrote: »
    Why add something most players wouldn't use?

Raid: Johnny's executing again...
    Leader: Yep... DPS just dropped 50k.
    Johnny: BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!!

most players dont use many things currently in the game...like werewolf...it's added for the lore
  • barbarian340
    barbarian340
    ✭✭✭
    Koronach wrote: »
    It would be cool but it would only work if you were fighting one enemy. The kill cam kicks in so you can execute the enemy you're fighting, the other enemies will just keep beating on/blasting you.

if u read my entire post, it said there would be an immunity
  • barbarian340
    barbarian340
    ✭✭✭

I own and beat Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim with ( mostly) a bow. The one shot kills from 30 meters are great in a single target game. They would be a nightmare in ESO. You could just snipe every mob from distance with a single arrow. Dont even need abilities or health or stamina. PVE easy mode. And PVP... i would just perch and snipe everyone as they ran by doing melee. No one would play anything but archers. It would become Longbowmen Online.

Many things from a SP game do not carry over well to an MMO setting especially one with pvp. Blade of Woe is the best your going to get for assassinations and it works and adds something to the game without altering balance.

for u to say u would snipe everyone in pvp and pve, u never played skyrim...the death cam only came in when the enemy was low health...if u snipe one person in a mob in ESO, the others would be alerted...so u wont be able to just sit and snipe, you would have to whittle down their health bar becore the execution cam
  • barbarian340
    barbarian340
    ✭✭✭
    Katahdin wrote: »
    Vanthras79 wrote: »

No he wants to stand in Reapers March and one shot kill someone in Rivespire

All jokes aside, this wold be too OP in a mmo game unless it's in a completely instanced, solo area

how would it be OP? do u remember how it worked for skyrim? it wasnt an added advantage...it was just a cool aesthetic...u still had to bring down the enemy's life to almost nothing before the animation...the animation was simply a deathblow....not a one-hit-kill mechanic
  • barbarian340
    barbarian340
    ✭✭✭

1. We've all had that beautiful kill-cam in Skyrim, where the arrow flies straight and true...right past the target's head. With lag making it harder to figure out player vs enemy positioning, glitched kill cams would be a thing. I get them even with the Blade of Woe, and that's two relatively stationary targets.

2. They take you out of control of your character. That's not as much of a problem in Skyrim, where they only trigger on the last enemy in an area, but ESO has much higher mob density and no guarantee that some other player isn't going to drag a mob over to you. Kill cams might be cool, but not if I have to break free of them to react to an enemy. Even with the Blade of Woe, there are a few times when I have to react quickly to stay out of sight of a guard.

3. Your suggestion of immunity while doing an execute addresses #2, if such a thing is implemented, however, that really gets into issues when you consider combat rotations. In Skyrim, most damage is single target with a few exceptions (shouts, wall of fire, a few multi-target spells) and with the kill cam proccing on the last enemy death, there's no lingering damage to worry about. If you have kill cams procing in the middle of combat, most players will have Wall of Elements or Caltrops or Endless Hail running continuing to do damage on other enemies. For overland content, precision of combat rotations isn't a huge problem, but taking me out of control of my character to kill cam someone is going to be a DPS loss.

4. With the density of mobs in ESO being much greater than those in Skyrim, the amount of kill cams would be much higher even if it only procs on the last mob. Because of that (and other issues) there would have to be an option to opt out of the kill cams. I know I'd find it annoying to be getting kill cams for every group of wasps and welwas I kill farming Craglorn.

5. They'd obviously have to be disabled in PVP. I don't think I have to explain why.

So in short, if kill cams were implemented, I think they'd almost have to be Skyrim style and only proc when the last enemy is killed. That way, you get a cinematic at a time when (hopefully) you won't be interrupted and you don't lose control of your character and take a DPS loss in combat.

as stated...for those of you who are concerned about rotations...you dont HAVE to spec into it...i said it should be a passive for those who WANT it...just like i dont HAVE to play as a werewolf...it literally doesnt hurt anyone by it being in the game, but would do ppl like me who love those animations a lot of good
  • barbarian340
    barbarian340
    ✭✭✭
    Feanor wrote: »
    The finisher moves in Witcher 3 were cool, but I wouldn’t want the same in ESO. It just doesn’t fit.

why on? skyrim had them
  • barbarian340
    barbarian340
    ✭✭✭
    so far im seeing no legit reason it cant be implemented...those who dont want it, dont have to use it...i can be tailored to only be of use in pve...it is NOT a one shot kill mechanic
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

as stated...for those of you who are concerned about rotations...you dont HAVE to spec into it...i said it should be a passive for those who WANT it...just like i dont HAVE to play as a werewolf...it literally doesnt hurt anyone by it being in the game, but would do ppl like me who love those animations a lot of good

My point is less about the DPS loss, and more about the practicality of throwing a kill cam into the middle of my rotation. Many end-game rotations make maximum use of AOEs and DOTs, so that while we are locked into a kill cam (with immunity), our DOTs are still ticking away and killing enemies and presumably, our buffs are still running out. (Though if you want to talk immunity, you'd have to also talk resource regen, because that's part of what a good rotation does.)

A kill cam where I slice an enemy's head off with a heavy attack looks cool. The occasional death from poison injection where someone collapsing choking on poison looks cool (there's an example of thematic but non-cinematic death in game). My enemy bleeding out after caltrops stabs him in the foot for the 5th time...I'm not so sure about.

In any case, my argument is that this is only practical when a kill cam procs on the last enemy. Otherwise, its a huge interruption to how combat normally works in the game. Regardless of whether or not players can toggle it off, proccing a kill cam on the last enemy is much easier for the designers as well, since they don't have to mess with combat flow. Nor does it disturb the flow of combat that most players are used to.
  • Koronach
    Koronach
    ✭✭✭✭✭

They won't give you invincibility like that in an MMO.
  • altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    that would be really nice!! I loved them in Skyrim!!

there could be a few seconds immunity for it, or the animation could start only if no other enemies are around!!

PLS bring them to ESO ZOS!!!

@ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_RichLambert
  • barbarian340
    barbarian340
    ✭✭✭

My point is less about the DPS loss, and more about the practicality of throwing a kill cam into the middle of my rotation. Many end-game rotations make maximum use of AOEs and DOTs, so that while we are locked into a kill cam (with immunity), our DOTs are still ticking away and killing enemies and presumably, our buffs are still running out. (Though if you want to talk immunity, you'd have to also talk resource regen, because that's part of what a good rotation does.)

A kill cam where I slice an enemy's head off with a heavy attack looks cool. The occasional death from poison injection where someone collapsing choking on poison looks cool (there's an example of thematic but non-cinematic death in game). My enemy bleeding out after caltrops stabs him in the foot for the 5th time...I'm not so sure about.

In any case, my argument is that this is only practical when a kill cam procs on the last enemy. Otherwise, its a huge interruption to how combat normally works in the game. Regardless of whether or not players can toggle it off, proccing a kill cam on the last enemy is much easier for the designers as well, since they don't have to mess with combat flow. Nor does it disturb the flow of combat that most players are used to.

im still for player choice...i dont mind the kill animation during battle...and caltrops wont trigger a kill animation since it only applies to weapon kills...but as a compromise, i would settle for the last enemy on screen triggering the animation
  • barbarian340
    barbarian340
    ✭✭✭

They won't give you invincibility like that in an MMO.

yes they would...ive seen it done before in other MMOs...just because it isnt in ESO doesnt mean it cant be implemented...a 3 second immunity during battle wont break the game...especially since it doesnt proc for every kill...so during a dungeon run, it may proc maybe three times
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

for u to say u would snipe everyone in pvp and pve, u never played skyrim...the death cam only came in when the enemy was low health...if u snipe one person in a mob in ESO, the others would be alerted...so u wont be able to just sit and snipe, you would have to whittle down their health bar becore the execution cam
    In oblivion one of my hat tricks was to snipe enemy from long range, hide behind a rock and enemy having no idea who hit them, their solution was to attack an deer or mud-crab nearby.

In Skyrim the kill cam was fun but mostly annoying, if you back stabbed some from stealth it might trigger as other enemies was not yet hostile to you, they would become during the animation.
    Then hunting deer your would get kill cam so you could not do multiple arrows in air to get 2-3 deer.

And it did trigger then killing critter level mobs.
    And here is the issue, it would be cool on bosses, not getting it 10 times during an delve trying to get the skyshard.
    Worse as in killing single mobs in delves i use direct attacks, on dungeon bosses its mostly DoT who would not trigger it.
    Add that you would need animations for various non human bosses like Saint Olms for different direct attacks and it would only show for one player if killing blow was an direct attack.

Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.