The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Does Outfit Station Motif Knowledge Remain if Motif Character is Deleted? Answered - YES!

SpAEkus
SpAEkus
✭✭✭✭
@ZOS_GinaBruno

Asking for ESOReddit thread.

I would expect that you would lose the knowledge the same for crafting unless another character has that same Motif learned. But ZOS has the Motif Station "grabbing" it from characters and adding it to the station "list" and they might not have considered after the fact of a character deletion.

Anyone delete some characters for level rewards and suffer a loss?

Edited by SpAEkus on February 15, 2018 1:08AM

Best Answers

• lzzy
    lzzy
    ✭✭✭
    Reaffirming Truthsnark's observation, I deleted a character with some motifs on live and still have them in my outfit collection.
    Answer ✓
  • SpAEkus
    SpAEkus
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks all
    Answer ✓
  • Deloth_Vyrr
    Deloth_Vyrr
    ✭✭✭
    Haven't tested, and don't want to lol

But it would make sense that you would lose it if you no longer have any characters that know the motif.
    <Twin-Moons Covenant> PC NA
    Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    Voice of Reason
    Shadow Breaker
    Flawless Conqueror
  • Marginis
    Marginis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would like to know the answer to this as well. I've had similar questions since the beginning of the game, and not knowing the answer (in regards to costumes and pets as well, for example) has made me stick almost exclusively to my main.
    @Marginis on PC, Senpai Fluffy on Xbox, Founder of Magicka. Also known as Kha'jiri, The Night Mother, Ma'iq, Jane Shepard, Damia, Kintyra, Zoor Do Kest, You, and a few others.
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    That is a good question. Since these are added to your account-wide collectibles, it would seem to me that they would stay. I believe that if I deleted a character that had earned an in-game costume or pet, that it would remain in my collectibles even if I deleted that character.

But, motif knowledge has traditionally been character-based, so it may be possible that the motifs would be removed from your collectibles if that character were deleted. But, then again, for the purpose of the outfit system, it seems likely that they'd allow you to keep a motif collectible once you've earned it, regardless of whether the character it was obtained from was deleted, since you've already collected it - collectibles seem divorced from individual characters, since they are account-wide.

Hopefully Gina can give us an answer.
  • Truthsnark
    Truthsnark
    ✭✭✭✭
    I went on the PTS and created two characters; a template CP 720 with all crafting motifs known, and a fresh level 1 with no knowledge. I deleted the template character, and then swapped to the character with no knowledge, and I could still access all of the motifs my deleted character knew and apply them as an outfit.