Maintenance for the week of October 28:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 28, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
· Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – October 30, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
· PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – October 30, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

Staves: Aesthetically lazy designs

Dapper Dinosaur
Dapper Dinosaur
✭✭✭✭✭
While there are definitely some cool staff designs in the game (Alliance styles, xyvkin, etc), I feel like Zenimax is barely trying to make staves look good. Why is only the head of the staff changing with the styles? Every single staff regardless of the style except for Soul Shriven is just a thin rod with a different head on it. Why don't we have more staves like the Soul Shriven style where the staff is actually a different shape? Why aren't there any styles that have crystals, blades, or other things sticking out of other parts of the staff where our characters' hands never touch anyway? How about a staff with some kind of dual-blade appearance where there's a head on both ends?

Does anyone else feel like Zenimax could be doing a lot more with the staff designs?
  • Kram8ion
    Kram8ion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes totally agree and bugs with staffs also addressed
    ps4eu
    Kramm stam man kittyblade

• Mielikki
    Mielikki
    ✭✭✭
    ...Please. My warden could do with some nature-themed staves!

256c6122067265.563137ccf3652.jpg
    ND70185-Edit-1600x1164.jpg
    41590debd8de2c537ef9580bf7f5dfa1.jpg
    d6772f2513c2c4741ef76e88b2153ff8.jpg
    Cs1QIFLUsAALFxR.jpg
    druid_by_dleoblack-d5yvham.jpg
    page10-1049-full.jpg
    488ce26e23f0591df0027ca5efe33448.jpg

Edited by Mielikki on February 5, 2018 6:22AM
  • Juhasow
    Juhasow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not korean MMO.
  • Mielikki
    Mielikki
    ✭✭✭
    Juhasow wrote: »
    It's not korean MMO.

LOL, many of the staves already in the game are far more korean MMO than the images I uploaded, that are rather simple staves with a nature theme.

However, I do agree that I'd rather have them simple than with shiny lights and stuff. I don't think that's going to be a thing anyways.
  • Cadbury
    Cadbury
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish ESO's staves were like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEyRRODdvw0
    "If a person is truly desirous of something, perhaps being set on fire does not seem so bad."
  • Ankael07
    Ankael07
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It doesnt become a Korean MMO when you add differently shaped staves
    If you want me to reply to your comment type @Ankael07 in it.
  • Juhasow
    Juhasow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mielikki wrote: »
    It's not korean MMO.

LOL, many of the staves already in the game are far more korean MMO than the images I uploaded, that are rather simple staves with a nature theme.

However, I do agree that I'd rather have them simple than with shiny lights and stuff. I don't think that's going to be a thing anyways.

I am not talking about look of the heads. This can be aesthetically mixed to look nice without weapon loosing it main goal. It is the same with sword pummel or scabbard which can look cool without hurting weapon effectivness but the rod design have it's practical reasons behind it same as for example sword blade. If You overdone it then weapon becames useless. ESO devs said ones that they want weapons to look as much belivable as they can . Making rod with some twisted unregullar shapes and additions on it makes it very unrealistic in terms of weight ballance and also makes it hard to belive someone would be able to hold that sharp and twisted handle with unregular shape for hours of fighting without feeling huge pain in the hands. Personally I really like the rod designs in ESO because it makes the staves really belivable weapons which I would expect from "real mage" to use.
    Edited by Juhasow on February 5, 2018 9:04AM
  • Dapper Dinosaur
    Dapper Dinosaur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not korean MMO.

I am not talking about look of the heads. This can be aesthetically mixed to look nice without weapon loosing it main goal. It is the same with sword pummel or scabbard which can look cool without hurting weapon effectivness but the rod design have it's practical reasons behind it same as for example sword blade. If You overdone it then weapon becames useless. ESO devs said ones that they want weapons to look as much belivable as they can . Making rod with some twisted unregullar shapes and additions on it makes it very unrealistic in terms of weight ballance and also makes it hard to belive someone would be able to hold that sharp and twisted handle with unregular shape for hours of fighting without feeling huge pain in the hands. Personally I really like the rod designs in ESO because it makes the satves really belivable weapons which if I would expect from "real mage" to use.

But you could also have some more non-intrusive things like metal tips on the bases or at least some different materials used along the rod so it's not just one bland perfectly-circular stick that are all exactly the same length, thickness, and texture. They could easily put even slightly more work into it to have some staves that are are thicker, and longer/shorter even without doing anything to the textures and it would be a significant aesthetic improvement.
    Edited by Dapper Dinosaur on February 5, 2018 6:30AM
  • monktoasty
    monktoasty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yea..there's basic model with different tops..kinda disappointing. But saves time and resources I'm sure.

I like the longer healing staves..wish lightning staff was like that at least..but the lightning and flame staff are short
  • Anhedonie
    Anhedonie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Not only that, but animation of staves should also be reworked. They could make flame staff produce flame in a cone, lightning staff chain to several targets and ice staff...well, anything really. But instead we got this boring and slow animations.
    Profanity filter is a crime against the freedom of speech. Also gags.
  • LadyAstrum
    LadyAstrum
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remarked the other day about the staves with my boyfriend. They're really quite underwhelming aesthetically. You'd think the better the stave the flashier it would look, but no. , understated, verging on boring in most cases.
    ~ "You think me brutish? How do you imagine I view you?" - Molag Bal #misunderstood ~
  • altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    yes please!!
  • Epona222
    Epona222
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's not korean MMO.

What, so you can't have different stave designs in any other sort of MMO?

Don't make me laugh :D:D
    GM - Ghost Sea Trading Co - NA PC

Epona was a Romano-Celtic goddess dating back to around 1800 to 2000 years before computer games were invented.
  • Juhasow
    Juhasow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not korean MMO.

Well show me atleast one that is super overdone in terms of desing and more silly then those You've linked to the point it's like in korean MMO's. Perosnally I dont finf any of that in ESO. Handles are simple and usefull and heads sometimes look fancy but maybe except of few are kept in reasonable desings and proportions. If I would stand between option to kick someone a** with one of those You've linked or with one of those present in the game I would definietly choose ESO desings as they're much more realiable and practical.
    Edited by Juhasow on February 5, 2018 9:13AM
  • Epona222
    Epona222
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's not korean MMO.

Well show me atleast one that is super overdone in terms of desing and more silly then those You've linked to the point it's like in korean MMO's

Just look at some of the staves in Oblivion and Skyrim? You know, other Elder Scrolls games. It's lore correct to have some unique and sometimes quite funky staff models.

EDIT: Oh you edited that as I was replying to it, so it said something different than what I was replying to when my post showed up. *slow clap*
    Edited by Epona222 on February 5, 2018 9:12AM
    GM - Ghost Sea Trading Co - NA PC

Epona was a Romano-Celtic goddess dating back to around 1800 to 2000 years before computer games were invented.
  • Onefrkncrzypope
    Onefrkncrzypope
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah like seriously where's my cup holder?
    -Immortal Redeemer-
    -Extinguisher of Flames-
    -Gryphon Heart-
    -Potato-

If I edited a post, it was for spelling. It is always because of spelling....
  • Lynx7386
    Lynx7386
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    it will help once the outfit system is working and we can use low level designs for high level weapons. The low level nord and wood elf staves look more like twisted wood.
    PS4 / NA
    M'asad - Khajiit Nightblade - Healer
    Pakhet - Khajiit Dragonknight - Tank
    Raksha - Khajiit Sorcerer - Stamina DPS
    Bastet - Khajiit Templar - Healer
    Leonin - Khajiit Warden - Tank
  • Furcula
    Furcula
    ✭✭✭
    It's not korean MMO.

I am not talking about look of the heads. This can be aesthetically mixed to look nice without weapon loosing it main goal. It is the same with sword pummel or scabbard which can look cool without hurting weapon effectivness but the rod design have it's practical reasons behind it same as for example sword blade. If You overdone it then weapon becames useless. ESO devs said ones that they want weapons to look as much belivable as they can . Making rod with some twisted unregullar shapes and additions on it makes it very unrealistic in terms of weight ballance and also makes it hard to belive someone would be able to hold that sharp and twisted handle with unregular shape for hours of fighting without feeling huge pain in the hands. Personally I really like the rod designs in ESO because it makes the staves really belivable weapons which I would expect from "real mage" to use.

Non realistic weapons are rare in ESO but they do exist. Take soul shriven battle axes for example...
    Soul-Shriven-Iron-Battle-Axe.jpg
    Edited by Furcula on February 5, 2018 5:05PM
  • Vanthras79
    Vanthras79
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the art department should see this. @ZOS_GinaBruno
    Norion Germain - Telvanni Wizard, Covenant Battle Mage, Mage's Guild Magister, Resident of Daggerfall Overlook, Lord of Tel Galen, Psijic Monk, Antiquarian, Breton Scholar, and Traveler.

• jaye63
    jaye63
    ✭✭✭✭
    Crashing on logout or quit and this is what you're concerned with? NPCs vanishing, getting stuck in the topography and following you forever just to tag you and reset and THIS is your whine? SMH
  • Marginis
    Marginis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the ideas. Anyone have more pictures of misshapen sticks with stuff on the end?
    @Marginis on PC, Senpai Fluffy on Xbox, Founder of Magicka. Also known as Kha'jiri, The Night Mother, Ma'iq, Jane Shepard, Damia, Kintyra, Zoor Do Kest, You, and a few others.
  • Ch4mpTW
    Ch4mpTW
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Diablo 3 still has the best weapons that I’ve seen in a game. ZOS could certainly learn from Blizzard, in the weapon design department.
    Edited by Ch4mpTW on February 5, 2018 6:58PM
  • Dapper Dinosaur
    Dapper Dinosaur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jaye63 wrote: »
    Crashing on logout or quit and this is what you're concerned with? NPCs vanishing, getting stuck in the topography and following you forever just to tag you and reset and THIS is your whine? SMH

You clearly know absolutely nothing about game development if you think the art team that would be responsible for working on the new staff models would have anything whatsoever to do with fixing technical issues.
  • LiquidPony
    LiquidPony
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It's not korean MMO.

I am not talking about look of the heads. This can be aesthetically mixed to look nice without weapon loosing it main goal. It is the same with sword pummel or scabbard which can look cool without hurting weapon effectivness but the rod design have it's practical reasons behind it same as for example sword blade. If You overdone it then weapon becames useless. ESO devs said ones that they want weapons to look as much belivable as they can . Making rod with some twisted unregullar shapes and additions on it makes it very unrealistic in terms of weight ballance and also makes it hard to belive someone would be able to hold that sharp and twisted handle with unregular shape for hours of fighting without feeling huge pain in the hands. Personally I really like the rod designs in ESO because it makes the satves really belivable weapons which if I would expect from "real mage" to use.

But you could also have some more non-intrusive things like metal tips on the bases or at least some different materials used along the rod so it's not just one bland perfectly-circular stick that are all exactly the same length, thickness, and texture. They could easily put even slightly more work into it to have some staves that are are thicker, and longer/shorter even without doing anything to the textures and it would be a significant aesthetic improvement.

https://eso.mmo-fashion.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2017/09/Ebonshadow-Ruby-Ash-Staff.jpg

https://eso.mmo-fashion.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2017/09/028.png

https://eso.mmo-fashion.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2016/09/Stahlrim-Frostcaster-Ruby-Ash-Staff.jpg

https://eso.mmo-fashion.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2017/01/Silken-Ring-Ruby-Ash-Staff.jpg

https://eso.mmo-fashion.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2017/09/Apostle-Ruby-Ash-Staff.jpg

https://eso.mmo-fashion.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2016/05/Malacath-Ruby-Ash-Staff.jpg

https://eso.mmo-fashion.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2017/05/Militant-Ordinator-Ruby-Ash-Staff.jpg

https://eso.mmo-fashion.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2016/05/Glass-Ruby-Ash-Staff.jpg

https://eso.mmo-fashion.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2016/05/Soul-Shriven-Ruby-Ash-Staff.jpg

https://eso.mmo-fashion.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2016/05/Barbaric-Ruby-Ash-Staff-1.jpg

I see all sorts of different adornments on the base of these staves and every one has a different texture/structure of the staff proper.
  • Dapper Dinosaur
    Dapper Dinosaur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for those images. It does appear there's a good number of staves with some work done on detailing the rods, although they all still appear to be the same length. Maybe it's because of the way gear is currently structured in the game that I was unfamiliar with the staff textures in general.